Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    XC
    Jan 2004

Worst Accident & Where? (Pics welcome)

Worst Accident & Where?Worst Accident & Where?

We've all had em. List your infamous location and details and or pics.

Worst for me was Kelso , did a wheelee off a high speed jump ( duhh)
    and landed on my ass, ended up with a bruise the size of a basketball
    (sorry no pics )
    Also dislocated my left index finger last summer
    coming down a steep hill in the Dundas driving park when I endoed.
    Fell in front of 50 kids playing at a picnic.

UI's Worst Nightmare!
    Sep 2003
    Mine was this past season, at the Waterdown trail system, off from Waterdown Road. There is a trail system by a "Waterfall". Its steep, its got stairs, and lots of rolling bumps. Well I endowed over the bars, going down the hill, I face planted some kewl rocks, (saw them real close-up) and the bike went end over end down the side of the valley.
    Bruised knee, bruised hip/thigh, mutlple lacerations, ripped jersey, donated some blood for the local flora-fauna to feed on. Incidently there was no damage to the bike!

Thank god for Helmets!

XC
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Beartrap Blade
    Mine was this past season, at the Waterdown trail system, off from Waterdown Road. There is a trail system by a "Waterfall". Its steep, its got stairs, and lots of rolling bumps. Well I endowed over the bars, going down the hill, I face planted some kewl rocks, (saw them real close-up) and the bike went end over end down the side of the valley.
    Bruised knee, bruised hip/thigh, mutlple lacerations, ripped jersey, donated some blood for the local flora-fauna to feed on. Incidently there was no damage to the bike!

Thank god for Helmets!
    I know that trail by the waterfall, it's pretty tricky and I've seen serveral
    people fall around there. Yes helmets are a lifesaver and anyone that
    argues that, well all I can say is I told you so when I visit you in the hospital
    if your still alive.

UI's Worst Nightmare!
    Sep 2003
    Yeah, I tend to stay away from that section of the trail...I'm still pretty green when it comes to the technical stuff.
    Superlight...do you ride on the Tuesday and Saturday group rides with the LBS?

The BicycleWorks guys make for an entertaining, er... gutwrenching ride! LOL

They say I have a problem
    The worst one I have seen is what happened to my fiance. At the time we were only dating and decided to go for an after work ride with a few people from her office in Dundas. At that time we lived in Milton and were not familiar with the trails around Dundas. We went on a nice ride with the group and were on our way back to the office. As we were riding down the asphalt path on the side of Cootes Drive we took a little side trail, that goes past some ball diamonds and connects back up with the asphalt path right before a bridge. Along this trail is a nice 18" high hump. Shelly was following the leader, who was a local rider and former racer, at a fairly good clip. She noticed the jump at the last second and panicked as she hit it and bailed part way in the air. She came down hard and slammed her head into the ground. I was following right behind her and saw her bail. I had to bail also to avoid slamming into her. When all the dust settled she was upset and in pain. She had a bit of trail rash on her arm, but seemed ok. We all got up dusted ourselves off and made our way back to the office. We knew something was wrong about 10 minutes later. Shelly looked at her arm and asked me how she had hurt herself. I thought she was joking and said you crashed, she asked when?? Now I started to worry. By the time we got back to the office she had forgotten most of the day and all of the ride. She had no idea of where we were and what day it was or what time it was. She was getting scared and I was worried. We quickly packed our stuff up and drove back to Milton to go to the Emergency Department there. I did that because I knew we'd be taken in pretty quick because it's a small hospital. The whole way to the hospital she kept asking the same questions over and over again, how's my bike?? how's my helmet (she was still a mountain biker). That was one of the scariest drives I've ever had. It took her about 4 hours to start getting things back from that day, but she still doesn't remember the crash or anything 2 hours before or after it. It took her about 3 weeks before she could get back on the bike and ride good without feeling sick and probably a good year without feeling uneasy about the ride. Concussions are a scary thing and we've altered our riding style a bit because of it. I tend to stay out in front to scout the trail and make sure there's nothing to insane. That was probablythe problem that day, she wasn't use to following other people. She was use to having me up in front warning of obstacles.

Thankfully she had a helmet on that day or I doubt I'd be getting married this summer.

Rich
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

Quote Originally Posted by Beartrap Blade
    Yeah, I tend to stay away from that section of the trail...I'm still pretty green when it comes to the technical stuff.
    Superlight...do you ride on the Tuesday and Saturday group rides with the LBS?

The BicycleWorks guys make for an entertaining, er... gutwrenching ride! LOL
    Shell and I also frequent Bicycle Works alot and have been tempted to go out on one of their group rides, but we're wary of getting in over our heads....Jeff, Paul and Brett are great guys, but I think they tend to go for the bigger stuff on their big bikes....The Sugar was built to stay planted on the ground....

Rich

Nice day for a ride.....
    I had a nasty digger at Barker's Bush in Paris. Had to walk out in the dark, sorry for the picture quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Yeah, I had some fun on that one too

I went to university at McMaster, and took the Cootes path home every day. I hit that 'bump' a number of times, just because you can get some sweet air off of it. Well, one time, I don't know what I did wrong, I think I preloaded my shock a little late, and I hit the jump at a good speed, but ended up with my bike angled VERY wrong in the air (ie: my front end pointed way down). I had the good sense to bail, but landed on my shoulder/hip. I donated a decent amount of skin to the trail. The only positive thing about it was that I was able to see how much horizontal distance I got off the jump (never could tell before...) by the big skid mark my body left on the trail. Tonnes of fun. Too bad about your fiance though, that sounds really scary!

Shibby

Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    The worst one I have seen is what happened to my fiance. At the time we were only dating and decided to go for an after work ride with a few people from her office in Dundas. At that time we lived in Milton and were not familiar with the trails around Dundas. We went on a nice ride with the group and were on our way back to the office. As we were riding down the asphalt path on the side of Cootes Drive we took a little side trail, that goes past some ball diamonds and connects back up with the asphalt path right before a bridge. Along this trail is a nice 18" high hump. Shelly was following the leader, who was a local rider and former racer, at a fairly good clip. She noticed the jump at the last second and panicked as she hit it and bailed part way in the air. She came down hard and slammed her head into the ground. I was following right behind her and saw her bail. I had to bail also to avoid slamming into her. When all the dust settled she was upset and in pain. She had a bit of trail rash on her arm, but seemed ok. We all got up dusted ourselves off and made our way back to the office. We knew something was wrong about 10 minutes later. Shelly looked at her arm and asked me how she had hurt herself. I thought she was joking and said you crashed, she asked when?? Now I started to worry. By the time we got back to the office she had forgotten most of the day and all of the ride. She had no idea of where we were and what day it was or what time it was. She was getting scared and I was worried. We quickly packed our stuff up and drove back to Milton to go to the Emergency Department there. I did that because I knew we'd be taken in pretty quick because it's a small hospital. The whole way to the hospital she kept asking the same questions over and over again, how's my bike?? how's my helmet (she was still a mountain biker). That was one of the scariest drives I've ever had. It took her about 4 hours to start getting things back from that day, but she still doesn't remember the crash or anything 2 hours before or after it. It took her about 3 weeks before she could get back on the bike and ride good without feeling sick and probably a good year without feeling uneasy about the ride. Concussions are a scary thing and we've altered our riding style a bit because of it. I tend to stay out in front to scout the trail and make sure there's nothing to insane. That was probablythe problem that day, she wasn't use to following other people. She was use to having me up in front warning of obstacles.

Thankfully she had a helmet on that day or I doubt I'd be getting married this summer.

Rich

Crank monkey

Well, I've had a few good scares, and some moderately interesting stories...

Petawawa - learning how to ride with clipless pedals, came around a corner and saw a skunk's pink rosebud staring me in the face. Panic stopped, fell over and jabbed the big ring into the back of my calf as my other foot turned the crank. Gouged out a big hunk of skin. Backed away from the skunk while he waddled into the woods. Went home and tried to get chain lube out of the hole in my leg.

Winnipeg - riding an old rail trail, talking to some guy behind me, didn't see the 10" deep, perfectly wheel-shaped pothole. Hit it about 25km/h, went flying and did a perfect 3-point landing (nose, shoulder and back), lost a bunch of skin, slightly dislocated my shoulder. The bike was fine, except I had to straighten the handlebars. Finished the ride (about 12km). I didn't go to the doc since I was on a flying course and didn't want to get grounded. Bought a new helmet. Now my shoulder makes a fun popping noise once in a while.

Edmonton - passing some guy on a bike path down by the river. I was passing on the left, and suddenly, without warning or looking, he turned 90 degrees to the left right in front of me, and I hit him in the back, after my fork hit his seat tube. Had another spectacular crash, right in front of about 60 Japanese people playing volleyball during a picnic. It was kinda like a scene from a Godzilla movie - lot's of Japanese people pointing and jabbering away excitedly. He was fine, I was fine, but I bent my cheapo RST fork, and had a good excuse to upgrade. Finished the ride (about 9km) without a front brake. Bought a new helmet.

Kanata Lakes - showing my brother how to slowly do a 3' drop (poorly), misjudged, endoed into a log, broke my helmet, scratched the crap out of my face, but didn't break my glasses. I somehow landed right on the end of my handlebar. I was fine, the bike was fine. Finished the ride (about 1 hour) without any problems (except for one more minor endo). Bought a new helmet. About 3 days later, I couldn't take a deep breath without stabbing pain, so I went to the doc. Turns out I bruised my ribs and my lung. Got lots of x-rays, and just stopped glowing in the dark a couple of months ago.

Don't tell me helmets don't protect you! Also the reason I only buy middle of the line helmets, and not really expensive ones. Also learned that barring any broken bones, adrenaline is usually good enough to get you home after a fun crash.
    Cheers,
    Smytty

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

At Kelso on Xtreem

Had a friend riding with me on the Xtreem trail in Kelso. It was his first time on the trail and we came to a fallen tree with a ramp up one side and down the other (about 2.5 feet high). He hit the up ramp on an angle so by the time he hit the top he missed the down ramp and went flying. Landed on the side of his head/neck. I was right behind him and thought for sure he broke his neck. He did move around but you could tell he was hurt. His helmet broke into 3 pieces which is bad. He had the whole right side of his arm without feeling (although he could move it) and was very dizzy. We had to walk him out and down to the lower parking and he went to the hospital. Luckily nothing was broken, but he pinched a nerve which took 3 months of rehab to get full feeling back.

Needless to say he was very lucky and now he avoids anything that remotely looks like a stunt!

I've come close on that one...Almost missed the down slope once...That sounds like a bad crash...

Rich

T.Dot Represent

don fun

true story i was riding in the don on the single track by the river, and i hit a rock with my pedal and went over the handle bars and grabbed a tree in the prosess and my feet were dangling almost off the side of the bank in the river.

and then i did another bad crash. I nose dived off a stunt and fell a few feet and the top tube smashed my balls

and then one time i kept falling cuz it was muddy and i managed to dig and wear away the skin on my shin with the large chain ring and there is a big ass scar tehere now

and oe time fell and it was muddy and i was trying to move my bike out of the way and it was monday at like 2 pm and this cross country jaack a double s comes out of no where and pedals pu this hill with his spandex shorts turns around and starts cussing at me and then my buddy threw a stick at his bike and i think it bent a spoke cuz it was an xc bike a u could tell he was a weight weenie and ya. ive enevr come accross another mean person on the traisl in the don. Especiall y the xc riders they are the nicest accept for him!

if you run into him flip him off or put a stick in his spoke he rode a sc heceelr and it was blue and he had like this swedish british accent

mtbr member
    This is the worst one I've actually seen (Click here, or right click & download) - Kelso downhill course's first (& largest) drop. We'd been playing on it a while (back when it was open to the public) and when a couple of real DH'er came, I stopped to take some video. His pedal intersected a rock just prior to the drop, and sent his bike in a non-compatable direction. Ended up using my leg armour as a splint - never did get that back...

Also seen a few aftermaths of people not staying on the correct side of the edge of the Niagra escarpment, a few got free helicopter rides out of it.

Everything I've done pales.

Cheers,

Tom

UI's Worst Nightmare!
    Sep 2003
    OMG...what a bad bail!
    I know that jump! I sat at the top of it with my hardtail....pondering whether or not "I feel lucky"...but I never did jump that!
    JEEZ...I wonder which of those "popping" sounds on the way down was the arm breaking?

Bike-shop employee.
    Fell into a log bridge and almost broke my wrist.
    I was very lucky not to break my wrist. I was coming downhill in the Don Valley on the uppers, and the trail was way too slick. Went over the handlebar at speed, and flew into a bridge that was off to the side of the trail.

Cycle Solutions

This is my worst crash as I have only been racing for a few years. Kinda a replica of what I did in my first year of racing too. Had a few laps left, fell in the mud in a downhill section goin about 50km/h.....snapped my rear hydro brake lever right off and pinched the front hose. Stood around dazed for a few minutes before I got back on and won the race overall with almost no brakes. Not that bad of a crash, maybe next year

Born to Ride
    I once got hit by a car , on the way back from , the trail , with a couple of friends
    the B*TCH Bent my crank and my times , i did walk away uninjured but did i ever scatch up her hood . Last race season at Kelso i also had a bad crash , there was a section where a puddle had formed and then a log ramp , i end up buring out on the log and endoed into the bush , by the way BENNO what race did that happen as i see chico
    MAXXIS

Cycle Solutions
    I dont think that's Chico........as it was an Alpha Racing Giant Five, the Fall Freyburger in early October.

Born to Ride
    it looks alot like chico , with his blad head and glasses , well if it isnt , my bad
    MAXXIS

Bike-shop employee.

Chico guys are nice guys

Except for that time at the offorad duathlon a few years ago, when I was in a the first chase group running,(in around 5th place total). Some idiot knocked the sign over, and the group i was with took a wrong turn. Cant blame Reuppel and the guys, but gotta hate when that happens.
    Ended up running an extra 5 kilometres
    we came in aroudn 20th overall.
    BAH!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Bad crashes

Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506

Rich
    I guess should introduce myself I just signed up today on this forum...I am the Shelly that Rich talks about...But of course I have too many accidents that I could talk about...There for a little while every place new that we went I would fall...But Rich has told the best one and worst one of all and now I have to say that I am a big believer in wearing helmets at anytime while on a bike.

Crank monkey

Welcome, Shelly

Enjoy your time here.
    Cheers,
    Smytty

Dirt Hurts
    Mar 2004

... and if we just ... Ouch

Well, my worst accident was on the Don, in what I call the flats. It was in the section of the jumps and it was jumping for the very first time - back in 2001. I jumped the first small jump at the don with ease, and then got cocky. I hit the second jump not nearly as fast as I should have, and at this time the jump had a 12-14 inch grove in the middle of it. I went straight into the air, freaked out, came down nose first in the grove, bounced back out of it and over the handle bars and hit the ground from about 6 feet off the ground. I had a broken wrist, a bruise that traveled down the entire left side of my body, and broke my hayes lever. It was the biggest dumb-ass move I ever accomplished! Thats my story and im sticking to it.
    "If you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains however improbable, must be the truth."

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Hope Poor Judgment

No broken bones, thank God. I was booting down a single track along the Grand River towards Paris. I ride this trail faithfully but the weather had been stormy and the technical level increases on the steep grades, rocks, mud and logs. I would like to use that as an excuse, but my spill happened on flat trail. My average speed in this section is about 25km/h. It's a section of the trail that you can make up time if youíre falling behind. Riding solo this day against the clock and I notice the storm had knocked over a tree which was broken about 5 feet off the ground laying horizontal across the trail. At first, I checked my speed with my brakes thinking I should dismount. At second glance, what the hell, I can crouch and clear this. Poor judgment because at the point of no return, I saw on the other side of the fallen tree there was a broken limb pointing downwards making it impossible to get my bike and my 6í body through. This is going to hurt, I thought and became wedged between the tree and my saddle. The forward momentum and speed forced me through delivering the most painful rash I have never experienced. I managed to stay focused but had trouble catching my breath. Once I got my composure back, I decided to finish the ride; I was at less half way I figured. It wasnít until I got home that I learn of my injuries and the damage my bike sustained. This error in perception was a close call physically. My bike on the other hand didnít fair so well. The downward force broke the bike frame at the welds around the bottom bracket. Three days later on a new bike, I broke my wrist on the same trail doing and endo down a steep hill one foggy morning. My eye protection misted over, blinding me. That kept me off the bike for 16 weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by MoeD
    No broken bones, thank God. I was booting down a single track along the Grand River towards Paris. I ride this trail faithfully but the weather had been stormy and the technical level increases on the steep grades, rocks, mud and logs. I would like to use that as an excuse, but my spill happened on flat trail. My average speed in this section is about 25km/h. It's a section of the trail that you can make up time if youíre falling behind. Riding solo this day against the clock and I notice the storm had knocked over a tree which was broken about 5 feet off the ground laying horizontal across the trail. At first, I checked my speed with my brakes thinking I should dismount. At second glance, what the hell, I can crouch and clear this. Poor judgment because at the point of no return, I saw on the other side of the fallen tree there was a broken limb pointing downwards making it impossible to get my bike and my 6í body through. This is going to hurt, I thought and became wedged between the tree and my saddle. The forward momentum and speed forced me through delivering the most painful rash I have never experienced. I managed to stay focused but had trouble catching my breath. Once I got my composure back, I decided to finish the ride; I was at less half way I figured. It wasnít until I got home that I learn of my injuries and the damage my bike sustained. This error in perception was a close call physically. My bike on the other hand didnít fair so well. The downward force broke the bike frame at the welds around the bottom bracket. Three days later on a new bike, I broke my wrist on the same trail doing and endo down a steep hill one foggy morning. My eye protection misted over, blinding me. That kept me off the bike for 16 weeks.

would that be the Hardy Road Trail????

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast