Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I Wanna Be Sedated

Winter WOW Enduro - November 18, 2007 at Mansfield

I know November 18th still a month away, but who is planning on taking part this year?

http://www.wowmtb.com/WinterWOW07.html

Last year's event was a blast, the weather was just above freezing with a pretty dusting of snow in the woods. With the summer season having come to a screeching halt, this event will give me some focus for the balance of October and the start of November...

register early...free souvenir toque!!!
    Jouko

Singlespeed Mysty

... and if we just ... wow... free toque... I'm there...

mmm... maybe...

I was thinking about this ... I have no problems riding on snow or in the cold ...

Joooouky... what kind of course is this? lots of climbing? singletrack? etc...

I was thinking it might be good to ride the SS ... as last winter I had a blast riding my SS at Albion...

how is this comparible?
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    What's a serious racer versus a not so serious racer? (See the registration form).

Would that be the an elite/expert and sport/beginner line?

Not that it matters, I have no clue where I would rank in an OCUP category anyway..

Evil Jr.
    I'm planning on being there again this year. It's a great way to spend a cool afternoon in November.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Singlespeed Mysty

not so serious trying to be more serious...

Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    What's a serious racer versus a not so serious racer? (See the registration form).

Would that be the an elite/expert and sport/beginner line?

Not that it matters, I have no clue where I would rank in an OCUP category anyway..
    yeah that about sums it up for me... but I think that is shouldn't matter... get out there and have fun ... just don't forget the toasties...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Singlespeed Mysty
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    I'm planning on being there again this year. It's a great way to spend a cool afternoon in November.
    hey cookie monster... what can a first-timer expect?

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

sock puppet

some bleeding and lot of pain...

but you are not a first-timer, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 1mystk
    hey cookie monster... what can a first-timer expect?

Singlespeed Mysty

Wink like you didn't know...

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    but you are not a first-timer, are you?
    don't you remember that day in walkers woods Ooogles?

surely you haven't forgot ... I don't remember you banging your head ... I just remember being flat on my back ...

mansfield virgin girl over here ... I've never been riding there, so I don't know what to expect... other than to put hot pockets in my shorts ... unless you plan to keep me warm?

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If the weather is nice, meaning no freezing rain, I may make it out to ride. Maybe.

1mystk:
    If the course is anything like the Pine River Ramble race I did there a few years ago, then you can expect some big, long, glorious climbs. Don't remember any scary technical sections. Well, maybe glorious is a bit of an stretch.
    A good time for sure!
    Last edited by racergurl; 10-18-2007 at 09:06 AM.

sock puppet

"big, long, glorious climbs"??

at mansfield???

climbs with that description can not be found in Ontario, sorry...

glorious climbs - we had one at this year's Transrockies... the worst day in the history of the race - day 6... second climb... after racing 80km and climbing 1400m already... around 850m vertical over 10kms... in 35+ degrees with no shade to hide... peaking at over 2000 meters, just about enough oxygen in the air to remain undead at the top...

now, that was a glorious climb... i dont remember the scenery...

noggs is still recovering from that one...

Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    If the weather is nice, meaning no freezing rain, I may make it out to ride. Maybe.

1mystk:
    If the course is anything like the Pine River Ramble race I did there a few years ago, then you can expect some big, long, glorious climbs. Don't remember any scary technical sections.
    A good time for sure!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Don't rub it in man,,,

at mansfield???

climbs with that description can not be found in Ontario, sorry...

glorious climbs - we had one at this year's Transrockies... the worst day in the history of the race - day 6... second climb... after racing 80km and climbing 1400m already... around 850m vertical over 10kms... in 35+ degrees with no shade to hide... peaking at over 2000 meters, just about enough oxygen in the air to remain undead at the top...

All you Trans Rockies riders must be in climb withdrawal coming back here to Ontario.

sock puppet

aint that true...

before i went to TR i hated hills due to my ~ 220lb riding weight...

after all the training, and half way through the TR - i started to enjoy climbing, in some weird masochistic way...

around here i can only crave "kelso climbs" - the fire road, mind numbing consecutive climbs, that we did in preparation for the TR race...

Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    All you Trans Rockies riders must be in climb withdrawal coming back here to Ontario.

Singlespeed Mysty

... and if we just ... ehhhffffffffff the scenery

hey maybe on a day when I gots hours to spare to take in the scenery...I've noticed as of towards the middle of the season, I didn't even pay attention to the scenery when I started really learning the trails ... just what is up ahead, and down below and who was coming ahead in the wrong direction to avoid a glorious crash...

and the only thing glorious I have to report was that spectacular crash I took in walkers woods when I became one with the trail... the only scenery I was checking out was the sky and the clouds...

so ... get to the point Oggie babe... is there grueling climbs at Mansfield or not? should I start doing kelso climbs too? ... it may just help... just don't have granny to back me up is'all...

speaking of Noggy noodles ... where is that boy... I wonder if his ankles are still swollen from TR?

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Singlespeed Mysty

don't tell too many people...

i started to enjoy climbing, in some weird masochistic way...
    that you and granny hang out together...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

I Wanna Be Sedated
    The only long climb I remember from last year's winter wow was a long sandy, rutted climb that everyone seemed to walk up. It's been a year, I can't remember much from that long ago...
    Jouko

sock puppet

noggs is MIA...

that video interview at the interbike made him an instant celebrity...

might he be in hollywood????

hey maybe on a day when I gots hours to spare to take in the scenery...I've noticed as of towards the middle of the season, I didn't even pay attention to the scenery when I started really learning the trails ... just what is up ahead, and down below and who was coming ahead in the wrong direction to avoid a glorious crash...

and the only thing glorious I have to report was that spectacular crash I took in walkers woods when I became one with the trail... the only scenery I was checking out was the sky and the clouds...

so ... get to the point Oggie babe... is there grueling climbs at Mansfield or not? should I start doing kelso climbs too? ... it may just help... just don't have granny to back me up is'all...

speaking of Noggy noodles ... where is that boy... I wonder if his ankles are still swollen from TR?

Singlespeed Mysty

so then his head is swollen...

that video interview at the interbike made him an instant celebrity...

might he be in hollywood????

my bad... I guess his ankles are not swollen anymore...

I am quite surprised that Noggy noodles did that interview... he is usually such a humble, shy, quiet guy... awwwwwwwww... *pinch cheeks*

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Singlespeed Mysty

Wink TAPsa, TAPsa... anyone home?

Quote Originally Posted by tapsa
    The only long climb I remember from last year's winter wow was a long sandy, rutted climb that everyone seemed to walk up. It's been a year, I can't remember much from that long ago...
    wow a hole year ... has old age set in darlin' ...

test: quick tell me what colour jocks you are wearing? and no peeking!

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

I Wanna Be Sedated
    They've got to be white to match the farmer tan!!

wow a hole year ... has old age set in darlin' ...

test: quick tell me what colour jocks you are wearing? and no peeking!
    Jouko

Singlespeed Mysty

bahahahaha...

Quote Originally Posted by tapsa
    They've got to be white to match the farmer tan!!
    I can't believe you just admitted to tighty whities...
    Attached Images Attached Images

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Wow!! I don't have anything with such fancy elastics...with those colour themes those look like the French (or Dutch) and Swedish national team tighty whities.
    Jouko

mtbr member
    Count me in (unless something goes very wrong).

I am glad to see that this race is being organized again this year. It gives me a bit of motivation to stay in some kind of riding shape.

1mystk, it is not a very technical course. Well suited for everyone, including singlespeed riders. Last year they had a singlespeed category too.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Singlespeed Mysty
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    1mystk, it is not a very technical course. Well suited for everyone, including singlespeed riders. Last year they had a singlespeed category too.
    well, I just wanted to know if there was lots of climbing involved to decide which bike if I do this race... I have a 1x9 set up on my other misfit...

is there a variety of singletrack and climbs and downhills? just curious as to what to expect... I went to the photo gallery on the site, but I couldn't tell... I just know to bundle up in layers just in case...

Mysty

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Well let me elaborate based on what I remember from last year. I used my SS in 32:20, since I did not know what to expect.

The longest rideable climb was near the beginning of the race. Perhaps 1-2 minutes of sustained grinding. After that all climbs are like in O-Cups, quick and doable, with the odd hard climb that one may have to walk. Then there was one long downhill full of leaves. Nothing overly technical except for the fact that you could not know what was beneath your tires. I played it safe and did not go too fast there. Soon after, came that long climb Tapsa mentioned. I doubt anyone could avoid walking that climb. Towards the end there was some tough climbing again, but not very long.

I don't remember anything scary technical in the course. I would say that the Hardwood Epic 8 course is a good example of the technical level you can expect at the WOW.

What I do remember is that I was spinning out way too much in 32:20. I certainly won't use 32:20 if I use the SS. I would probably go for 32:17 this time. But I am considering doing the WOW on my geared FS bike. There were a lot of open "big ring" sections where the geared bike would fly.

Hopefully this helps. My suggestion for you is to go for a geared bike in this race. If the course is like last year (and the website says it is the same course), you might be out there for 3 or more hours. Mind you, I am making some assumptions about your fitness and if I am wrong, I apologize right now. But if nothing else, gears will really help you fly in the fast sections.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Well let me elaborate based on what I remember from last year.

SNIP

But if nothing else, gears will really help you fly in the fast sections.
    This was my first 40km off road, and an enjoyable 3+ hour learning experience for me. I went for the tour to see if I could actually do it and was plesantly surprised. It was also nice to see the trails of Mansfield, since it closed to regular riding before I got back onto bikes.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast