I Wanna Be Sedated

Winter WOW Enduro - November 18, 2007 at Mansfield

I know November 18th still a month away, but who is planning on taking part this year?

http://www.wowmtb.com/WinterWOW07.html

Last year's event was a blast, the weather was just above freezing with a pretty dusting of snow in the woods. With the summer season having come to a screeching halt, this event will give me some focus for the balance of October and the start of November...

register early...free souvenir toque!!!
    Jouko

Singlespeed Mysty

... and if we just ... wow... free toque... I'm there...

mmm... maybe...

I was thinking about this ... I have no problems riding on snow or in the cold ...

Joooouky... what kind of course is this? lots of climbing? singletrack? etc...

I was thinking it might be good to ride the SS ... as last winter I had a blast riding my SS at Albion...

how is this comparible?
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    What's a serious racer versus a not so serious racer? (See the registration form).

Would that be the an elite/expert and sport/beginner line?

Not that it matters, I have no clue where I would rank in an OCUP category anyway..

Evil Jr.
    I'm planning on being there again this year. It's a great way to spend a cool afternoon in November.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Singlespeed Mysty

not so serious trying to be more serious...

Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    What's a serious racer versus a not so serious racer? (See the registration form).

Would that be the an elite/expert and sport/beginner line?

Not that it matters, I have no clue where I would rank in an OCUP category anyway..
    yeah that about sums it up for me... but I think that is shouldn't matter... get out there and have fun ... just don't forget the toasties...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Singlespeed Mysty
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    I'm planning on being there again this year. It's a great way to spend a cool afternoon in November.
    hey cookie monster... what can a first-timer expect?

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

sock puppet

some bleeding and lot of pain...

but you are not a first-timer, are you?

Quote Originally Posted by 1mystk
    hey cookie monster... what can a first-timer expect?

Singlespeed Mysty

Wink like you didn't know...

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    but you are not a first-timer, are you?
    don't you remember that day in walkers woods Ooogles?

surely you haven't forgot ... I don't remember you banging your head ... I just remember being flat on my back ...

mansfield virgin girl over here ... I've never been riding there, so I don't know what to expect... other than to put hot pockets in my shorts ... unless you plan to keep me warm?

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If the weather is nice, meaning no freezing rain, I may make it out to ride. Maybe.

1mystk:
    If the course is anything like the Pine River Ramble race I did there a few years ago, then you can expect some big, long, glorious climbs. Don't remember any scary technical sections. Well, maybe glorious is a bit of an stretch.
    A good time for sure!
    Last edited by racergurl; 10-18-2007 at 08:06 AM.

sock puppet

"big, long, glorious climbs"??

at mansfield???

climbs with that description can not be found in Ontario, sorry...

glorious climbs - we had one at this year's Transrockies... the worst day in the history of the race - day 6... second climb... after racing 80km and climbing 1400m already... around 850m vertical over 10kms... in 35+ degrees with no shade to hide... peaking at over 2000 meters, just about enough oxygen in the air to remain undead at the top...

now, that was a glorious climb... i dont remember the scenery...

noggs is still recovering from that one...

Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    If the weather is nice, meaning no freezing rain, I may make it out to ride. Maybe.

1mystk:
    If the course is anything like the Pine River Ramble race I did there a few years ago, then you can expect some big, long, glorious climbs. Don't remember any scary technical sections.
    A good time for sure!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Don't rub it in man,,,

at mansfield???

climbs with that description can not be found in Ontario, sorry...

glorious climbs - we had one at this year's Transrockies... the worst day in the history of the race - day 6... second climb... after racing 80km and climbing 1400m already... around 850m vertical over 10kms... in 35+ degrees with no shade to hide... peaking at over 2000 meters, just about enough oxygen in the air to remain undead at the top...

All you Trans Rockies riders must be in climb withdrawal coming back here to Ontario.

sock puppet

aint that true...

before i went to TR i hated hills due to my ~ 220lb riding weight...

after all the training, and half way through the TR - i started to enjoy climbing, in some weird masochistic way...

around here i can only crave "kelso climbs" - the fire road, mind numbing consecutive climbs, that we did in preparation for the TR race...

All you Trans Rockies riders must be in climb withdrawal coming back here to Ontario.

Singlespeed Mysty

... and if we just ... ehhhffffffffff the scenery

hey maybe on a day when I gots hours to spare to take in the scenery...I've noticed as of towards the middle of the season, I didn't even pay attention to the scenery when I started really learning the trails ... just what is up ahead, and down below and who was coming ahead in the wrong direction to avoid a glorious crash...

and the only thing glorious I have to report was that spectacular crash I took in walkers woods when I became one with the trail... the only scenery I was checking out was the sky and the clouds...

so ... get to the point Oggie babe... is there grueling climbs at Mansfield or not? should I start doing kelso climbs too? ... it may just help... just don't have granny to back me up is'all...

speaking of Noggy noodles ... where is that boy... I wonder if his ankles are still swollen from TR?

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Singlespeed Mysty

don't tell too many people...

i started to enjoy climbing, in some weird masochistic way...
    that you and granny hang out together...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

I Wanna Be Sedated
    The only long climb I remember from last year's winter wow was a long sandy, rutted climb that everyone seemed to walk up. It's been a year, I can't remember much from that long ago...
    Jouko

sock puppet

noggs is MIA...

that video interview at the interbike made him an instant celebrity...

might he be in hollywood????

hey maybe on a day when I gots hours to spare to take in the scenery...I've noticed as of towards the middle of the season, I didn't even pay attention to the scenery when I started really learning the trails ... just what is up ahead, and down below and who was coming ahead in the wrong direction to avoid a glorious crash...

and the only thing glorious I have to report was that spectacular crash I took in walkers woods when I became one with the trail... the only scenery I was checking out was the sky and the clouds...

so ... get to the point Oggie babe... is there grueling climbs at Mansfield or not? should I start doing kelso climbs too? ... it may just help... just don't have granny to back me up is'all...

speaking of Noggy noodles ... where is that boy... I wonder if his ankles are still swollen from TR?

Singlespeed Mysty

so then his head is swollen...

that video interview at the interbike made him an instant celebrity...

might he be in hollywood????

my bad... I guess his ankles are not swollen anymore...

I am quite surprised that Noggy noodles did that interview... he is usually such a humble, shy, quiet guy... awwwwwwwww... *pinch cheeks*

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Singlespeed Mysty

Wink TAPsa, TAPsa... anyone home?

Quote Originally Posted by tapsa
    The only long climb I remember from last year's winter wow was a long sandy, rutted climb that everyone seemed to walk up. It's been a year, I can't remember much from that long ago...
    wow a hole year ... has old age set in darlin' ...

test: quick tell me what colour jocks you are wearing? and no peeking!

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

I Wanna Be Sedated
    They've got to be white to match the farmer tan!!

wow a hole year ... has old age set in darlin' ...

test: quick tell me what colour jocks you are wearing? and no peeking!
    Jouko

Singlespeed Mysty

bahahahaha...

They've got to be white to match the farmer tan!!
    I can't believe you just admitted to tighty whities...
    Attached Images Attached Images

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Wow!! I don't have anything with such fancy elastics...with those colour themes those look like the French (or Dutch) and Swedish national team tighty whities.
    Jouko

mtbr member
    Count me in (unless something goes very wrong).

I am glad to see that this race is being organized again this year. It gives me a bit of motivation to stay in some kind of riding shape.

1mystk, it is not a very technical course. Well suited for everyone, including singlespeed riders. Last year they had a singlespeed category too.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Singlespeed Mysty
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    1mystk, it is not a very technical course. Well suited for everyone, including singlespeed riders. Last year they had a singlespeed category too.
    well, I just wanted to know if there was lots of climbing involved to decide which bike if I do this race... I have a 1x9 set up on my other misfit...

is there a variety of singletrack and climbs and downhills? just curious as to what to expect... I went to the photo gallery on the site, but I couldn't tell... I just know to bundle up in layers just in case...

Mysty

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Well let me elaborate based on what I remember from last year. I used my SS in 32:20, since I did not know what to expect.

The longest rideable climb was near the beginning of the race. Perhaps 1-2 minutes of sustained grinding. After that all climbs are like in O-Cups, quick and doable, with the odd hard climb that one may have to walk. Then there was one long downhill full of leaves. Nothing overly technical except for the fact that you could not know what was beneath your tires. I played it safe and did not go too fast there. Soon after, came that long climb Tapsa mentioned. I doubt anyone could avoid walking that climb. Towards the end there was some tough climbing again, but not very long.

I don't remember anything scary technical in the course. I would say that the Hardwood Epic 8 course is a good example of the technical level you can expect at the WOW.

What I do remember is that I was spinning out way too much in 32:20. I certainly won't use 32:20 if I use the SS. I would probably go for 32:17 this time. But I am considering doing the WOW on my geared FS bike. There were a lot of open "big ring" sections where the geared bike would fly.

Hopefully this helps. My suggestion for you is to go for a geared bike in this race. If the course is like last year (and the website says it is the same course), you might be out there for 3 or more hours. Mind you, I am making some assumptions about your fitness and if I am wrong, I apologize right now. But if nothing else, gears will really help you fly in the fast sections.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Well let me elaborate based on what I remember from last year.

SNIP

But if nothing else, gears will really help you fly in the fast sections.
    This was my first 40km off road, and an enjoyable 3+ hour learning experience for me. I went for the tour to see if I could actually do it and was plesantly surprised. It was also nice to see the trails of Mansfield, since it closed to regular riding before I got back onto bikes.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

sock puppet

are you serious?

you are not going to do it on your SS?

getting soft or just studying too much?

Well let me elaborate based on what I remember from last year. I used my SS in 32:20, since I did not know what to expect.

The longest rideable climb was near the beginning of the race. Perhaps 1-2 minutes of sustained grinding. After that all climbs are like in O-Cups, quick and doable, with the odd hard climb that one may have to walk. Then there was one long downhill full of leaves. Nothing overly technical except for the fact that you could not know what was beneath your tires. I played it safe and did not go too fast there. Soon after, came that long climb Tapsa mentioned. I doubt anyone could avoid walking that climb. Towards the end there was some tough climbing again, but not very long.

I don't remember anything scary technical in the course. I would say that the Hardwood Epic 8 course is a good example of the technical level you can expect at the WOW.

What I do remember is that I was spinning out way too much in 32:20. I certainly won't use 32:20 if I use the SS. I would probably go for 32:17 this time. But I am considering doing the WOW on my geared FS bike. There were a lot of open "big ring" sections where the geared bike would fly.

Hopefully this helps. My suggestion for you is to go for a geared bike in this race. If the course is like last year (and the website says it is the same course), you might be out there for 3 or more hours. Mind you, I am making some assumptions about your fitness and if I am wrong, I apologize right now. But if nothing else, gears will really help you fly in the fast sections.

mtbr member
    osokolo: getting soft ...?

Well, I am getting soft, old, weak and wuss-like, but don't tell anyone else. My image will suffer. Of course, this kind of talk goes a long way to convince me to bring my rigid SS contraption and just suck it up.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

rad to the power of sick
    This race looks like fun. Anyone want to drive a fellow rider from Guelph and back?
    NOBL Wheels
    Some great sets for the trainer:
    http://soundcloud.com/deejayfeelgood

Singlespeed Mysty

... and if we just ... only if you were closer....

Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    This race looks like fun. Anyone want to drive a fellow rider from Guelph and back?

sorry SUPER... I'd help you out if I lived down that ways... WOW that is far... <no pun intended...>

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Singlespeed Mysty

... and if we just ... if he's getting soft, I must be hard...

you are not going to do it on your SS?

getting soft or just studying too much?

gee... and here I was thinking of doing this one SS...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Singlespeed Mysty

too late...the cat's outta the bag gramps...

osokolo: getting soft ...?

Well, I am getting soft, old, weak and wuss-like, but don't tell anyone else. My image will suffer. Of course, this kind of talk goes a long way to convince me to bring my rigid SS contraption and just suck it up.

getting too old... for shame! serioulsy ... serious... suck it up...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    The geared FS bike is looking worse by the minute (to my ego).
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Singlespeed Mysty

Wink poor baby... alright, alright... I'll cut you a break...

The geared FS bike is looking worse by the minute (to my ego).

I won't frown upon you ... if I do this race, I will most likely do it on my 1 x 9 setup... although - my SS is 32:20 and that makes for some really nice riding at Allbion... just obviously never been to Mansfield before ...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Evil Jr.
    I'll be doing it 32:20 on my 29er, just like last year. There were only 2 climbs I couldn't clear last year that way. I'm all Ontario-soft now after nearly a month off my bike.

The last thing I had any TR-power left for was that Valley-to-Village slog. It sucks to be mortal again.

Good times...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sock puppet

hehehe....

it sucks to be a sucker again, you got that right... same here..

I'll be doing it 32:20 on my 29er, just like last year. There were only 2 climbs I couldn't clear last year that way. I'm all Ontario-soft now after nearly a month off my bike.

The last thing I had any TR-power left for was that Valley-to-Village slog. It sucks to be mortal again.

Good times...

Misfit Psycles
    i just got back from the pairoknees and some super intense pirate training.

arrgghh, i will be winning this years elite special i was on tv at interbike category on my singlespeed with some massive undeclared riot ratio. there may be sparklers.

who sent this thread down the path of destruction with inane chatter about that stupid farging trans hillies race? seriously guys get over you fat selves...it was sooooo last summer.

oggie i heard you are so fat that chico added a digit to your ocup # so it wouldnt get lost on your curtain, i mean jersey...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Singlespeed Mysty

Good times...
    a month off bike... eeghads... it just sucks for that reason Cookie Monster...

it sucks to be a sucker again, you got that right... same here..
    now Oooggles, how is he a sucker?

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Singlespeed Mysty

... and if we just ... WOW... time to duck for cover...

Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    oggie i heard you are so fat that chico added a digit to your ocup # so it wouldnt get lost on your curtain, i mean jersey...
    covers indeed... last time I remember Noggy, you and Ooogles weighed roughly the same ...

but who am I to say... I only amount to one of your thighs in comparison ... if we don't include my fat a$$

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

rad to the power of sick
    oh burn!

i miss this stuff.
    NOBL Wheels

mtbr member
    Just signed up for the singlespeed category. Looking forward to the race. Since everyone seemes to be making the gearing easier I may take this advice and run 32:18 on my small wheels.

sock puppet

we are collectively

impressed with your command of english language mr. suppa...

back to regular programming now....

Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    oh burn!

i miss this stuff.

sock puppet

you are dead meat boy...

Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    Just signed up for the singlespeed category. Looking forward to the race. Since everyone seemes to be making the gearing easier I may take this advice and run 32:18 on my small wheels.
    i hope you dont put rigid fork up front...

well, if noggs shows up, at least you wont be dead last... i hear that everyone will be using 32-22 at least, and they are trying to sucker you into 32:18 so that they can laugh at you...

personally, i think that 33:19 is the perfect ratio, given that there will be lots of fallen leaves on the ground and trail will not be easily visible...

Misfit Psycles
    impressed with your command of english language mr. suppa...

back to regular programming now....
    ya, you just saw that he used the word STUFF and you thought that he was talking about oreos...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Singlespeed Mysty

question about timing?

how long does this race last... meaning....

how long does one have to finish the race?

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Awards start at 2pm, so probably just under 4 hours to complete the 40km.

mtbr member
    Mysty,

I don't think there is a time limit. I am quite sure we have a good 4-5 hours before they come to get us out.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Singlespeed Mysty

... and if we just ... bring in the cavalry then...

Mysty,

I don't think there is a time limit. I am quite sure we have a good 4-5 hours before they come to get us out.
    I am still wondering if I would be able to do this!? am I nutts??

it's for fun... fuggit... see you there... I'll register race day... you can all peel me off the roots and leaves when you are all done...

I'm nutts... I am...

what tires should I wear? I only have choice of Exi's... should be good no? on my 29er?

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Don't worry Mysty, we won't let you spend the winter in there. Exi's should be fine on Mansfield terrain. That is what I had last year, in fact.

Unless disaster strikes me, I plan to be there and register on race day. I finally decided to go SS like last year.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Singlespeed Mysty

... and if we just ... oh gosh golly thanks...

Don't worry Mysty, we won't let you spend the winter in there. Exi's should be fine on Mansfield terrain. That is what I had last year, in fact.

Unless disaster strikes me, I plan to be there and register on race day. I finally decided to go SS like last year.
    now I don't feel so alone... well for now anyways... as I may be the only one around after I get smoked by yooouz fast dudes...

just remember to come and say hi if you see me ... I'll be wearing a red rose on my jersey ... joking... I will most likely be bundled up at first and have to rip layers off as I tend to get warm pretty quick...

should be interesting? why am I doing this again?????

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    1mystk: ...I'll be wearing a red rose on my jersey ...

Heh, heh that was funny.

And I promise to pay attention to my surroundings and say hi to you. If I see somebody ripping clothes off ... I will definitely say hi.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Singlespeed Mysty

sure you will...

1mystk: ...I'll be wearing a red rose on my jersey ...

Heh, heh that was funny.

And I promise to pay attention to my surroundings and say hi to you. If I see somebody ripping clothes off ... I will definitely say hi.
    you'll end up calling racergurl mysty... sniffle, sniffle...

er.. um... is there a naked mile in this event? hmm... well you can rip your clothes off and Mysty can watch... howboootdat?

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Unfortunately I won't be able to make this race, so no worries about serious calling me by your name again.
    My babysitter bailed on me. I'll be spending the day playing with my new puppy, and going shopping for an elliptical trainer. My a$$ is growing at an alarming rate since race season is over.
    Good luck everyone.
    High on Life

mtbr member
    1mystk: you'll end up calling racergurl mysty ...

Aha, but this time I shall be looking for a rose on the jersey ...

And I think there will be no ripping of clothes on Sunday. I see talk about snowsquals and 5-10 cm of snow through Friday. More snow on Saturday. Sunday morning temps of -4 deg. Brrr, that is too damn cold. On the positive side, the woods will look fantastic.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    racergurl,

Too bad you cannot make it ... and congratulations on the new pup!
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Singlespeed Mysty

... and if we just ... puppy?

Unfortunately I won't be able to make this race, so no worries about serious calling me by your name again.
    My babysitter bailed on me. I'll be spending the day playing with my new puppy, and going shopping for an elliptical trainer. My a$$ is growing at an alarming rate since race season is over.
    Good luck everyone.
    okay gurl, I was looking forward to meeting you! but you're off the hook when you said puppy...

GAH! now you know you cannot say puppy and not have pics?! like common....

ppffffttt ... your a$$ eh? ... I hope people will be able to pass me ... my a$$ is so fat!

pics of the puppy please.... NOW!

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Singlespeed Mysty

brrr.... indeed...

1mystk: you'll end up calling racergurl mysty ...

Aha, but this time I shall be looking for a rose on the jersey ...

And I think there will be no ripping of clothes on Sunday. I see talk about snowsquals and 5-10 cm of snow through Friday. More snow on Saturday. Sunday morning temps of -4 deg. Brrr, that is too damn cold. On the positive side, the woods will look fantastic.
    don't listen to that weather man... he's lied to us before!

dude... you're on... I'm gonna wear a rose now!! LOL!

look for it on my camelback ...

I still get heated pretty good, so I'm not promising about removing a few layers... geez, now where are those ear warmers... of crap! I need gloves... MEC tomorrow on my lunch... yeah...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks.....

racergurl,

Too bad you cannot make it ... and congratulations on the new pup!

Now if only I knew how to post pics. Did I mention that I failed computer class?
    This sucks, seems everyone is going to the race except moi. If I bundled the kids up in their snowsuits and put a movie on in the van, then I'm sure they'd be just fine for a few hours.
    High on Life

Singlespeed Mysty
    Now if only I knew how to post pics. Did I mention that I failed computer class?
    This sucks, seems everyone is going to the race except moi. If I bundled the kids up in their snowsuits and put a movie on in the van, then I'm sure they'd be just fine for a few hours.

yes would have been nice to finally meet you GURL... next time...

but I'll be wearing a rose on my camelback just to humour the SERIOUS guy there...

I'll prolly be dead last... but at least I will have a thorn on my back ... no wait... thorn on my side... whatever... right then... hmm...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Weather Report?

Does anyone know if Mansfield got any of that lake-effect snow?

Misfit Psycles
    sorry to breakup the miss'd, rateyer-girl, sooyarus show but good news abounds...there will be day-of registration...

here's hoping for a cold wet snowy mucking fess.

ooggie. i double dog dare you.
    btw my winter weight is currently 219...and i'll give you 5 minutes.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    Does anyone know if Mansfield got any of that lake-effect snow?
    According to the Mansfield Outdoor Centre website they do have some snow on the ground. They say it is not that much but that they do have some. Should make for an interesting ride as I don't think the weather will be warm enough for it to melt. But I can't convince the rest of my crew (family) to come up and stand in the cold while I ride so don't know if I'll go or not. And I am so dying to give my new Niner rigid (with gears) a go.

mtbr member
    nogears,

I thought osokolo is going to La Ruta. As for the cold, wet snowy, muck-fest ... yeah I think we'll get all that and more. I am not looking forward to the cold, I have to admit.

Can I have those 5 minutes? I probably need 30, but beggars cannot be choosers.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Oggie is in Costa Rica. Judging by the results after two days, anything we will encounter on Sunday will seem rather lame.

http://www.adventurerace.com/web-rut...sults_2007.pdf

I don't know why Oggie didn't record a time from day one, but day two he finished in 8:33. Looks like James finished day one in 10:21 and the second day in 7:24. Having read a few reports from La Ruta, it sounds like hell on two wheels.
    Jouko

Singlespeed Mysty

well foooo to you too...

sorry to breakup the miss'd, rateyer-girl, sooyarus show but good news abounds...there will be day-of registration...

here's hoping for a cold wet snowy mucking fess.

ooggie. i double dog dare you.
    btw my winter weight is currently 219...and i'll give you 5 minutes.
    while you are freezing what now appears your fat a$$ets watching Santeee Claus (with your admitting to your winter warmth weight ), at least we will be moving to keep warm ...

I don't know what is worse... soggy Santa, soggy Noggy, or soggy cold trails...

to be continued...

so does this mean you're coming out now Noggy? I'll be wearing a red rose - so don't forget to say hi...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    1mystk: so does this mean you're coming out now Noggy? I'll be wearing a red rose - so don't forget to say hi...

I think this is going to become your trademark Mysty. Now you gonna have to wear a rose at every race.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Singlespeed Mysty

I thought that my trademark was...

1mystk: so does this mean you're coming out now Noggy? I'll be wearing a red rose - so don't forget to say hi...

I think this is going to become your trademark Mysty. Now you gonna have to wear a rose at every race.
    my fatt a$$ ...

red rose at every race? ... done... damnit peoples... SERIOUS-LY...

it still won't make up for the fact that I'll be dead last... hopefully the rose will survive...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    See ya'll tomorrow - I'll be the one with the touque and eating chili

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by 2WD
    See ya'll tomorrow - I'll be the one with the touque and eating chili
    toque and chili, i'll keep my good eye out for you, but if you see me first holla.

i'll be the one with a bike.

oggles is chicken shite then, cause thats what people do when they is escared ya? run to south amerika???
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Singlespeed Mysty

at least it is warm...

toque and chili, i'll keep my good eye out for you, but if you see me first holla.

i'll be the one with a bike.

oggles is chicken shite then, cause thats what people do when they is escared ya? run to south amerika???
    in south amerika...

I thought you weren't coming out for this Noggy? I'll be the one on a bike too... wearing a rose...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Misfit Psycles
    Lepper wins.

Anyone else sick of this guy?
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

I Wanna Be Sedated
    What is his secret? Did he miss his urine test? Why does he always look so happy?

Lepper wins.

I am saddened by the loss of my Garmin Edge 305 and the unrelated chafed left nipple. I am happy as I think I improved my time by almost 20 minutes over last year's sadsack effort.
    Jouko

mtbr member
    Mark Landis won again? Was I thinking out loud. He is just "on" isn't he...Even when most people's season is over...

Lepper wins.

A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Congrats to Mark, but also congrats to nogearshere for the 2nd place finish, nice work!

I had a fairly leisurely ride and tested out all the new winter gear I bought (thanks to some advice from dskunk who I happened to bump into at MEC the day before). Race was a blast and course conditions were tip top. Food was awesome as well. Hearing thuds on the ground while people wiped out on the roots was also mildly amusing.

Singlespeed Mysty

... and if we just ... W.O.W. is right.... as I recall...

Lepper wins.

you won too Noggy... good to see you... I sure as hell want to know Mark Lepper's secret is ... does he wear pink underwear for good luck? hmm...

geez... and here I thought wearing a red rose would bring me luck...

I think if I hadn't made that bad fall and reinjured my bad arm, I would have come in sooner ... dammit peoples... I need to get my act in gear... no more playin...

this girl is steppin it up a knotch!

Joooouky, my condolences on your garmin... they ain't cheap... but I need me one... where do I buy one?

hey SERIOUS ... nice to finally meet you... didn't get a chance to say goodbye... see you on the trails again...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Singlespeed Mysty

hey now nspace...

Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    Hearing thuds on the ground while people wiped out on the roots was also mildly amusing.

it twasn't that funny ... I happened to have my a$$ handed to me by a log that was slippy... I took bad fall and reinjured the same arm I bruised in Durham Forest before the 8 hour fall race ... I was about to call it quits at the 20km mark... but I thought listen Mysty... we don't want you to have a new nickname of Mysty SSissy pants... so I continued on in much pain... hmmm... time like that I wished I could have a front fork on those less than attractive BUMPY double track...

hey... I FINISHED... that is what matters to me... next year, I have an agenda...

who was that person that told me that Exis' rock? hmm...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Hey Mysty, it was nice to meet you. Sorry about the injury, but it is good to hear that you finished. With racy tires like the Exi and a rigid bike it must have been challenging. BUT YOU FINISHED, so that is what counts. Jouko, it was nice to meet you as well. It is unfortunate that you lost the Garmin.

nspace were you on your white SS bike? I would have like to say hi, but missed you somehow. How did you do?

Congratulation to Mark and Peter for such impressive performances. I managed a 9th (out of 18) finish in the OpenSS category. I really felt strong in the race, but started cramping up a bit during the last 8-10k. I guess 32:17 gearing was a bit much for me, but it sure helped me out on the many flat double tracks, so I cannot complain.

I can complain about the rough ride however. Much of the double track just rattled my brain. But there was also plenty of nice single track to make up for it. The combination of rigid fork and a racy tire (Hutchinson Python) made it interesting, but fortunately I managed to hold it together. The WOW organizers did a great job, I think.

Results are up.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Yup, I was on the singlespeed. I imagine those Pythons would have clogged up with snow and dirt real fast?

I did horrible (aka dead last in SS division) but had a great time. I was just getting on my bike to ride to the start and my tire lost all pressure, so I missed the start fixing a tube. A few friends waited for me as they had planned to just take it easy and ride in a group so I decided to join them. If someone fell back we just waited. After 3 weeks of not being on the bike it was good to finally get out for a ride.

WOW did a brilliant job linking all the trails through Dufferin forest, it was a blast in there. The chili was really good too, and those brownies.... I had to organize a covert mission for a second.

Singlespeed Mysty

well ... well ... well...

I can complain about the rough ride however. Much of the double track just rattled my brain. But there was also plenty of nice single track to make up for it. The combination of rigid fork and a racy tire (Hutchinson Python) made it interesting, but fortunately I managed to hold it together. The WOW organizers did a great job, I think.

Results are up.
    so I wasn't the only one whos's brain was rattled on the double track ... you are right though... that single track made up for it.. it was so enjoyable ... it seemed endless...

I was suffering through the double track with my arm being rattled... youch!

today my body feels fine, legs are good, no pain... BUT the injured arm feels like it is an object attached to my body...

yeah results are up... hopefully they reversed my sex change as they listed me as a MAN!

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Misfit Psycles
    mista and serendipity, at 800+g and 2.35" the exi is NOT a racey-day tyre...and if that tyre didnt work then i'm pointing directly at the driver...not another word from either one of you about rubber, extraspecially about the greatest tyre ever made for everything and everyone.

Lepper won riding on lowly Kenda Klaws...probably the worst tyre ever poured from the pits of a 26" hell.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Singlespeed Mysty

who you calling mista?

mista and serendipity, at 800+g and 2.35" the exi is NOT a racey-day tyre...and if that tyre didnt work then i'm pointing directly at the driver...not another word from either one of you about rubber, extraspecially about the greatest tyre ever made for everything and everyone.

Lepper won riding on lowly Kenda Klaws...probably the worst tyre ever poured from the pits of a 26" hell.

hey I didn't diss tires? who says I dissed dem? I think they worked great ... I was just saying... I slipped on a loggy Noggy

my comment was merely a "shout out" ... "hollar" to you for reminding me ... had I been running my Weirs, I would have been toast with jam...

geez... I still wanna try some other tires out... see how they compare...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    nspace: I imagine those Pythons would have clogged up with snow and dirt real fast?

Yes they did a bit. In the rear I had a Roll X Pro 2.0 which was not too bad. Overall I cannot complain too much. The tires performed reasonably well under a rigid setup and my modest skills.

nogearshere: Lepper won riding on lowly Kenda Klaws...

Mark could win with rims only so let's just say he cheated by using rubber. As for 800g Exi ... ouch, I keep forgetting Mysty runs 29er. On my Inbred the 26er Exi was much lighter and I ran it last year at the WOW and it did work very well for me.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Singlespeed Mysty
    nspace: [b]As for 800g Exi ... ouch, I keep forgetting Mysty runs 29er. On my Inbred the 26er Exi was much lighter and I ran it last year at the WOW and it did work very well for me.
    well with a supa-light bike, and little ol' me - the weight of the tires don't even cross my mind...

I have been running the Weirwolfs all season - now that I switched back to the Exi's I forgot how I enjoyed them in the fall of last year...

I only was running 35 psi... I think they are rated for 35-50... I still think there was too much air in them... but what the hell do I know?

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I'll ***** about the tires too...I opted to run my rather worn Michelin XCR Dry2's which are great on dry hardpack trails. They were fast on the leaf & snow covered hardpack as long as I didn't have to turn or brake.

On the other hand, had I opted for the heavier wheelset with the Nevegal DTC's I had in my car I may have fallen once or twice less. I just like the way the Michelins look and we know it's not how well you do but how good you look doing it.
    Jouko

Evil Jr.
    Great day, great chili.

Our mission was accomplished as Mrs. Monster and I practiced our pacing for Cranking the Shield. She earned herself a fresh peach pie on the way home for being first among the SS women!

Our high-five across the line left something to be desired but we still have 10 months to work on that.

For the record, my Exis were mint though I might have taken them down to 30psi from 35 to soak up some of the bumps.

mtbr member
    tapsa: ...it's not how well you do but how good you look doing it.

Damn, I lose on both fronts.

And speaking of "how good you look", at the lineup before the start of the race, the guy near me had a shiny, beautiful GF Superfly. That bike is the first geared 29er, that gets my attention.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

rad to the power of sick
    Ahhh i regret not hitting this race up
    Looks like it was an awesome time...

Actually, on second thought no... i saw these names in my category.

I love a challenge, but..well...you know....

<table x:str="" class="xl22308" style="border-collapse: collapse; table-layout: fixed; width: 527px; text-align: left; margin-left: 0px; margin-right: auto; height: 125px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"><td class="xl29308" style="border-top: medium none; height: 12.75pt;" x:num="1" align="right" height="17">1</td> <td class="xl29308" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;" x:num="67" align="right">67</td> <td class="xl29308" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;">Glassford</td> <td class="xl29308" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;">Peter</td> <td class="xl30308" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;" x:num="7.6481481481481484E-2" align="right">1:50:08</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl29308" style="border-top: medium none; height: 12.75pt;" x:num="2" align="right" height="17">2</td> <td class="xl29308" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;" x:num="135" align="right">135</td> <td class="xl29308" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;">Gammage</td> <td class="xl29308" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;">Zack</td> <td class="xl30308" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;" x:num="7.7418981481481478E-2" align="right">1:51:29</td> </tr> <tr style="height: 12.75pt;" height="17"> <td class="xl29308" style="border-top: medium none; height: 12.75pt;" x:num="3" align="right" height="17">3</td> <td class="xl29308" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;" x:num="240" align="right">240</td> <td class="xl29308" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;">Garrigan</td> <td class="xl29308" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;">Mike</td> <td class="xl30308" style="border-top: medium none; border-left: medium none;" x:num="8.0023148148148149E-2" align="right">1:55:14
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    NOBL Wheels

mtbr member
    Very impressive but well below their best (and the course was quite challenging due to the snow). Those times translate to around 19 km/hr (11.8 mph) and these elite guys can hit over 22 km/hr on similar distances in O-Cup and C-Cup races.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Singlespeed Mysty

my bike is too sexy for me...

I just like the way the Michelins look and we know it's not how well you do but how good you look doing it.
    yeah.. and so are my tires...

geez there were times in some spots where I was like... WTF? Are you kidding me? I ain't riding that... I am still trying to get used to riding on trails that are off camber, or right beside a steep edge... one wrong move and you are toast with jam...

but I thought about my famous sticker on my bike.... "F*** the Scenery" and felt alot better... ... thanks for the motivation Noggy!

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Misfit Psycles
    nspace-d out:

searyass:
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Evil Jr.
    justwannaride (note the TR-exclusive Misfit)

You can just spot Mrs. Monster in this one. She's the speck of blue in front of the cabin standing beside the speck of yellow. (I'm some sort of unidentifiable spec of navy blue.)

mtbr member
    Hey, thanks nogearshere.

In case people wonder, I am #130. Not sure who the fierce gentlement in front of me is. They all look fierce to me!
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Singlespeed Mysty

how pertty...

Hey, thanks nogearshere.

In case people wonder, I am #130. Not sure who the fierce gentlement in front of me is. They all look fierce to me!
    hey serious, at least there is documentation of your cute face at the race... I'll be lucky if there is a pic of one of my tire tracks somewhere near the start... sadly, I did not see any peeping Tom's (no pun intended ) in the trails taking pictures...

you'd think they would have at least taken picture of my rose... after all the trouble I went through ... ...it's not like nobody couldn't see it... was it big enuff for yah?

still a great event... I will be there again next year... ... hopefully not almost dead last...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    1mystk: you'd think they would have at least taken picture of my rose... after all the trouble I went through ....it's not like nobody couldn't see it... was it big enuff for yah?

You think anyone will pay attention to that rose while riding behind you?

As for being there next year ... my brain does not think that far ahead. I am more of a "what do I do tomorrow" kind of guy. I went skiing this morning so I know what I am going to do tomorrow and it does not involve a bike.

SKIING, SNOW, SKIING, SNOW. Dirty words, I know, but I love it.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Singlespeed Mysty

dirty boy...kiss my...

1mystk: you'd think they would have at least taken picture of my rose... after all the trouble I went through ....it's not like nobody couldn't see it... was it big enuff for yah?

You think anyone will pay attention to that rose while riding behind you?

As for being there next year ... my brain does not think that far ahead. I am more of a "what do I do tomorrow" kind of guy. I went skiing this morning so I know what I am going to do tomorrow and it does not involve a bike.

SKIING, SNOW, SKIING, SNOW. Dirty words, I know, but I love it.
    rose... what did you think I would say?

no...no... serious.. you go ahead and ride in front of me so I can check out your roses

my brain usually doesn't think that far either... but at least if I say it/write it out loud... it will be with the intent that I raise the bar on my goals for next year...

and yes serious I will have that rose with me for the races next year... rest assured you will not miss me on the trails

OK OK... I wanna learn how to ski... parish the thought... who wants to teach me is the question? guess I will need lessons eh? how hard can it really be anyway?

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Members who have read this thread: 0