Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Winter Upgrades, Projects, And Builds

What projects are you planning for the winter?

I have a couple this winter.

- a car bike carrier project...

- And of course the previously mentioned switching to a more Monstercross type set up from the current Kaffenback.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    A big project. A new road bike.

The frame is going to be True Temper OX platinum. Just last night I was working out the final geometry on BikeCAD. I'm hoping to keep it close to 4 lbs. If this frame is anything like the 1st one it will be 100 hours. Haven't decided on the paint yet.

Got the tubing a few weeks ago.

A couple of years back I bought a carbon fiber Time fork specifically for this build.

Earlier this week I bought a set of Mavic Ksyrium wheels. They are apparently bombproof, but it sucks that spare spokes are becoming difficult to find. These wheels may prove to be a gamble, but they have almost no hours on them so maybe I'll get lucky. The main reason I bought them is the fact the free hub will fit 11 speed cassettes.

Perhaps today I'll receive my Force 22 gruppo. It cleared customs yesterday.

Busy, busy.
    occasional cyclist

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    The frame is going to be True Temper OX platinum. Just last night I was working out the final geometry on BikeCAD. I'm hoping to keep it close to 4 lbs. If this frame is anything like the 1st one it will be 100 hours. Haven't decided on the paint yet.
    Ooh, sounds neat! Are you welding it yourself? Either way, keep posting updates.

All my fall projects are trail building related. If the weather cooperates, I'd like to get a few more hundred metres of singletrack in at Christie and get the pump track roughed in, finally.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    No, not welding, fillet brazing. I'd have to be a phenomenal welder and own a Tig machine if I was welding. I wouldn't even try gas welding (oxy/acetylene) on such thin stuff.

Gas welding more or less disappeared from industry in the 1950s, replaced by electricity.

Fillet brazing is a very different beast; tricky to master because of the flux but almost zero chance of burning a hole in a tube.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Evil Jr.
    No, not welding, fillet brazing. I'd have to be a phenomenal welder and own a Tig machine if I was welding. I wouldn't even try gas welding (oxy/acetylene) on such thin stuff.

Gas welding more or less disappeared from industry in the 1950s, replaced by electricity.

Fillet brazing is a very different beast; tricky to master because of the flux but almost zero chance of burning a hole in a tube.

Drew
    All the more reason to post plenty of pics. I'd love a build thread!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Will do, GM! I pretty much have to post pictures in the frame builders forum anyways, for advice and constructive criticism from the boys over there.

Drew

Thumbs up on the trail building, it's a lot of work.
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I'm planning on building a bike up for my wife. Will be her first real mountain bike. Ordered a new old frame (new but 2006 model), and have most of the components sitting on my geared steel hard tail that has been neglected since switching to single speed just over a year ago.
    Confession: while this build is primarily to give a bike to my wife, it also reduces my current bike roster from 4 to 3, making room for something new in the future

Lemmy Rules!
    I am in good shape for mountainbikes, with a pretty full quiver. Refreshing my road bike and CX bike is on the horizon. The frame cracked in November on my current steed, so I have a warranty frame coming (2014 Cervelo R5) and may upgrade the gruppo to Red 22 and Enve bar/stem. This will permit the 2011 Red gruppo to move to my CX bike, and I may also splurge on a set of Ksyrium Elites for it. But it all depends on my much my Black Ops Account can bear....
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    I have a non-bike related project on the go right now that's been keeping me quite busy. Won't be ready to spill the beans until Monday at the earliest... plus Circlip might slap my wrist again for going too far OT.

mtbr member
    Winter projects:

- Drill out the rims on two fatbikes, potentially convert them to tubeless.

Winter upgrades:

- Would love to upgrade the drivetrain on my fat bike. X5 just doesn't do it for me.

Winter Builds:

- Scott bikes is taking care of that for me. Not much I'll be able to do to improve this one. They better build it quick!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Forgot to add. Turning this into a usable repair stand. to freebies.

If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

Lemmy Rules!
    I am already speculating about this. One clue...has it anything to do with either of the cars currently sitting in the Monster Garage?????
    Strava made me do it....

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I am already speculating about this. One clue...has it anything to do with either of the cars currently sitting in the Monster Garage?????
    Formal missive from the Minister of Household Finances?

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    ...plus Circlip might slap my wrist again for going too far OT.
    No politico then (probably) no problemo.

I won't be able to sleep all weekend until the unveiling.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Winter Upgrades, Projects, And Builds-625_tt.png

The Force 22 gruppo did show up on Friday! That 11 sp cassette bolted right up on the Ksyriums just like teh intarwebs said it would......

This will be one long bike. I'll be cutting tubes in a few days!

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Dorkimus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I have a non-bike related project on the go right now that's been keeping me quite busy. Won't be ready to spill the beans until Monday at the earliest... plus Circlip might slap my wrist again for going too far OT.
    The Theo II Project????
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Gnarly
    Completing the final touches to finishing my yoga studio

Next tackling the downstairs to convert it into a bike spin studio and workshop. Today we purchased 2 trainers
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Lemmy Rules!
    Awesome. Please keep posting. There are very few people out there that can say they built their own frame
    Strava made me do it....

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Winter Upgrades, Projects, And Builds-00114.jpg

A lot of this stuff is messy math on paper. These are the calculations for the front triangle. The free vesrsion of BikeCAD doesn't provide all the info a builder needs but the math isn't super hard to learn (again). My son was nice enough to give me a refresher a few years ago.

The triangle is the centerlines of all the tubes and the joints are the intersections of the centerlines of those tubes. That is why my 220 mm HT shows as 142 mm on this drawing. Ditto for the other tubes.

With these lengths, and the calculated angles at the various intersections the tubing can be prepared for mitering, although there's a bit more messy math to do in order to cut the tubes to the right length since the thickness of the tubing at the joints needs to be accounted for.

I've also done these calcs. for the rear triangle but won't bother my readers with another page of the same stuff.

Next up is running a miter program to create templates for cutting out the tubing. I'll get to that later in the week.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Nice day for a ride.....
    A big project. A new road bike.

Got the tubing a few weeks ago.

A couple of years back I bought a carbon fiber Time fork specifically for this build.

Earlier this week I bought a set of Mavic Ksyrium wheels. They are apparently bombproof, but it sucks that spare spokes are becoming difficult to find. These wheels may prove to be a gamble, but they have almost no hours on them so maybe I'll get lucky. The main reason I bought them is the fact the free hub will fit 11 speed cassettes.

Perhaps today I'll receive my Force 22 gruppo. It cleared customs yesterday.

Busy, busy.
    Cool to see another EC poster who builds frames. I've been thinking of upgrading my jig and doing another this winter as well.

Some pics from my first frame.....

Maybe we need an Eastern Canada frame building thread? Either way keep photos of your progress coming.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Looks like your heat control was a bit better than mine! Seeing that photo brings back all kinds of memories about technique and how tricky the whole process is. I definitely want to upgrade my jig too, but at least I have a surface plate to work off now. I did Hugh Black a huge favour a few years back and got him a massive granite surface plate that Toyota didn't want, and he gave me his old one (the one I got him is 6' x 4' and 1400 lbs, his old one is about 3' x 2' and weighs about 250 lbs). My first frame rides straight, and I absolutely love how it works, but all kinds of little things are wrong that I missed when building it mostly because I didn't have a surface plate and didn't know entirely what to check for. My surface plate will now give me some much needed precision.

Of course tell us what you built! Road, mountain? Your pic. is a bit of a teaser.

Here's mine:

Winter Upgrades, Projects, And Builds-img_3021.jpg
    occasional cyclist

Nice day for a ride.....
    Looks like your heat control was a bit better than mine! Seeing that photo brings back all kinds of memories about technique and how tricky the whole process is. I definitely want to upgrade my jig too, but at least I have a surface plate to work off now. I did Hugh Black a huge favour a few years back and got him a massive granite surface plate that Toyota didn't want, and he gave me his old one (the one I got him is 6' x 4' and 1400 lbs, his old one is about 3' x 2' and weighs about 250 lbs). My first frame rides straight, and I absolutely love how it works, but all kinds of little things are wrong that I missed when building it mostly because I didn't have a surface plate and didn't know entirely what to check for. My surface plate will now give me some much needed precision.

Of course tell us what you built! Road, mountain? Your pic. is a bit of a teaser.

Here's mine:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3021.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	843997
    It was a 26er mountain bike. Did alot of destruction testing on that frame and learned alot from it. Built another that had some wonky geometry (oops). I'm ready for number 3 now. Want to build myself a nice 29er hardtail with short stays. I don't have any pictures of the bike built up unfortunately.

Yours looks great.

mtbr member
    I am in good shape for mountainbikes, with a pretty full quiver. Refreshing my road bike and CX bike is on the horizon. The frame cracked in November on my current steed, so I have a warranty frame coming (2014 Cervelo R5) and may upgrade the gruppo to Red 22 and Enve bar/stem. This will permit the 2011 Red gruppo to move to my CX bike, and I may also splurge on a set of Ksyrium Elites for it. But it all depends on my much my Black Ops Account can bear....
    Before buying the Ksyrium Elites, you should check my Ksyrium ES Special Edition. They came with my S-Works bike. If you are interested in a used wheelset that is in excellent shape, let me know. Jamie Davies (from Evolution Cycles) saw the wheels and he thought they are in top shape.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Evil Jr.
    You're close but not quite... (though I'm making some moves in that direction as well). No, the Monster "Garage" grew by one this weekend.

While I said it wasn't cycling related, I realised that it sort of is - this "upgrade" is kinda the result of:

a) not buying any bikes for the last 2 years
    b) not racing for the last 2 years
    c) not traveling to race for the last 2 years

Funny how fast it all adds up! (Yes, those are snow tires on winter wheels.)

Winter Upgrades, Projects, And Builds-dscf1537.jpg

Winter Upgrades, Projects, And Builds-dscf1536.jpg

PS: Moar frame building pics! I really want to see some sweet mitering!

mtbr member
    My upgrade addiction still persists.
    Going to upgrade parts on my Roadbike. Replacing stem, seatpost, bars with fancy carbon stuff.
    "We will call you Cygnus, the god of balance you shall be."

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast