veldrijder

Winter riding in the St. Catharines area

Anyone up for some riding this winter around St. Catharines (12 mile, shorthills, etc)?

We may have to wait until things freeze to avoid trail damage, but that should happen soon enough. I'm looking for rides anytime... weekends or weekday night rides work for me as I just work M-F.

Cheers!

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Definately once the trails freeze - could do a PM thing when a ride is in the works.

veldrijder
    Sounds good. It looks like things could be frozen as soon as the middle of this week, but we'll have to wait to see if the weather prediction is correct.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Trails are a mess right now....

Took my chances with an early a.m. ride yesterday. Thought since there was a low of -4 overnight, catching it early, the trails might be ok.

12 mile creek trails were bordering on unridable, mainly thick deep mud, I turned around after a couple minutes when it was obvious the entire trail was like that and I was doing more harm than good.

Drove up to the hydro offices and rode up the roadway to the top of the escarpment. That access road was fine, but the top section going towards Brock was a solid sheet of ice. I dont have studded tires, so it wasnt fun. Turned around and rode the access road hill four times just to get some kind of workout in.

Hope you have better luck. It's supposed to get much colder the next few days, so you may get some decent conditions. Looks like a warm up for the weekend and next week, so better get out there while you can.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Voodoo Child
    12 mile creek trails were bordering on unridable, mainly thick deep mud,
    sounds about right.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

veldrijder
    It's too warm still - you need temps to stay below -3 for at least 48h for good trail conditions.

veldrijder

Thursday, 7pm?

Thursday is looking good according to Env. Canada: temperatures staying below zero consistently from now until then, lows of -12.

Anyone want to make tentative plans for an evening ride (bring your lights)? Meet outside Liberty at 7-ish? I'll probably be giving the 12 mile trails a try if the weather holds.

mtbr member

I might be in

I love winter riding and night riding so this sounds great. Hopefully the weather plays along.

veldrijder
    The weather looks like it will be appropriate but it's going to feel very cold with the wind. I'm going to pop in at Liberty around 6:00 tomorrow, then heading out along 12 mile, but I'll wait around at the gravel parking lot on St. Paul if anyone else wants to join. I'll be on a blue Trek 8000 with impossible to miss way too long orange brake cable housing. If no posts here by 5:30, then I'll just head out. Cheers
    Last edited by jmoote; 01-03-2008 at 02:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Sorry man. My cutoff is -10 with the wind chill. Beyond that I'd rather ride the trainer indoors and watch a movie. Maybe this weekend when it 'warms up' a bit though.

Dan

veldrijder
    I went out tonight and did more or less the 8x12 course. The doubletrack was very icy - I fell 2 or 3 times, ending up quite bruised. Once I hit the singletrack it was fantastic - the ground was totally frozen and rode like dry hardpack. There were some slick spots and the trail was rutted in places (who was out riding in the wet?!?) but overall it was great. I passed another rider going the opposite direction on the fireroad at Decew, I think wearing a Kona jersey...

The bad news: I lost a pair of fairly expensive gloves. If anyone is out for a ride or hike, they're a 3+1 lobster/mitten style made by Sugoi. I went back after I realized and walked most of the ground I covered (so yes, I rode 15km then hiked about 10km)

edit: gloves recovered via ddakin's post below
    Last edited by jmoote; 01-05-2008 at 09:34 PM.

mtbr member

Your gloves!

Dude I think I know who has your gloves! I'm part of the St. Catharines cycling club and someone posted up last night that he found a set of gloves. Send me a private message with your email or phone number and I'll get you matched up with the guy who has them.

Dan