mtbr member
    Aug 2011

Winter Riding Gear

I'm looking for some suggestions on riding gear for winter days on the trails. The end of the warm days isn't far off but I'm not prepared to accept the idea of putting the bike away for 3-6 months.

Any bike equipment for winter would be good too

Muskoka

best winter riding gear is...

a fat bike
    From OMG...Crusty!!

From OMG...Crusty!!

From OMG...Crusty!!

Lemmy Rules!
    Exustar winter riding shoes. About $120 at MEC. Buy 'em half a size to big - that way you can wear ski socks underneath. Neoprene booties over the top. Snowboarding gloves. If your hands and feet are warm, the rest of you will be too.
    Strava made me do it....

humber river advocate
    fat bikes rule for winter biking... get one now (stay away from the k-track). stay away from neoprene booties, they pack with snow and fall apart fairly quickly. you can pick up a set of light snowshoe boots that are more waterproof and have a lower temp rating for half the price of winter cycling shoes. use with flats, you don't really need spds, though people will argue otherwise.

i ride all winter long and tried every combination of footware, pedals etc... the simple systems often work the best.

humber river ride dec 26 2010 from single sprocket on Vimeo.

Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Lots of boot choices if you ride flats. If you prefer SPDs, choices are few. I've got Shimano MW80's. They keep my feet from getting cold for two hours in -10 temps. They're also nearly waterproof. I've stepped in swamps and rivers with the boot fully underwater and the only place that water gets in is wicking down through the sock. They may have been discontinued though. CRC still has 44s, on SALE too.

I wear one of my full face helmets when it's cold and windy. It keeps my head warmer. I got a pair of snowmobile gloves at the beginning of last season and am loving them.

Beyond that, layers are important. Next to the skin you'll want a wicking layer. I use some Nike tights and long sleeve jersey I got cheap at national Sports a few years back. Insulating layer next. Fleece pullover on top, and some cheap Walmart track pants that I tapered the legs on so they don't get caught in the chain, and on everything else. Wind/waterproof membrane on top.

Depending how cold/wet it is, different layer combinations work very well. Remember that exercise helps keep you warm. If you step outside and are warm, you're overdressed. You should still be somewhat cold before you start riding.

Up until there's a lot of snow, the frozen ground is very hard and fast. Traction can be incredible at times. It's quite fun.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    If riding clipless +1 on the Exustars, but buy them a full size too large - lots of room for thick socks. Heat factory heat packs when it's really cold (I find the cold from pedal/cleat makes it way into the shoe).

Evil Jr.
    Other than what people have already said (I use Exustars all winter too with eggbeaters), I wear a light running cap under my helmet until about -10. For super-cold/windy days, I switch it up for a light balaclava.

It takes some experimentation to get your clothing choices right for the weather. Keeping from getting sweaty is key. Once you have some practice at it, it's almost like a mental matrix: you look at the temp and the windchill and you know exactly which pieces to use.

Winter riding is AWESOME!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Easy! Tight jeans and a dirt jump bike!

Seriously, for outdoor riding, I prefer my base layer to be nice soft merino wool (wicks well, stays warm when wet, not too smelly). A windproof layer with pit zips allows for some regulation (I tend to overdress, so that lets me compensate). Layers definitely help. A good light, because riding after work tends to mean riding after dark.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    Shimano MW80's.
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    I wear one of my full face helmets when it's cold
    Yep.

If you are one of the guys who can wear snowboarding googles without fogging them, it's the ticket for a warm face. Some people constantly fog them up though, and I have no idea what to suggest for them.

I'm using pogies (over-the bar-mitts) used them all last winter and the jury is still out. They are very, very warm, but having my hands semi-connected to the bars is vaguely alarming.

Otherwise, fleece jacket with a windbreaker shell on the front not the back and regular winter bike tights under moto/DH pants.

Otherwise, I rotate studded and regular knobby wheelsets on my hardtail depending on forecast.

Now, we still legally have two more weeks of summer..

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    There was a good thread about this a couple of years ago on the Women's Forum.

humber river advocate
    go to the source also...
    Icebike Home Page

a little icebike history...

i remember getting the first set of nokian studded tires in toronto from velotique. They brought them back from the Montréal bike show as demos, but I ended scoping them up. It was just a pain to stud your own tires and flats where a problem. after that i had a chance to test a set of fat cat rims from alaska (all weather sports). with the true studded tires and wide rims the birth of fat wheeled bikes started... getting everything working with the wide rims was a pain but I had a set of marinovative brakes that did the trick..
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 09-12-2011 at 10:34 AM.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Pledge is the secret chain lube.