Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

Winter MTB Saturday morning?

Alright guys, who wants in? I'm thinking let's meet at the Pelham Road entrace to Shorthills at 9am for a ride through there. It should be well packed down because of the hikers and horse people.

No crazy speeds, just a fun bit of winter riding. They're calling for -1 and sunny in the morning.

Who's in? I would be open to other locations too.

Dan

mtbr member
    dam............power to you guys for wanting to ride in this ice box!

I will stick to spinning.............I know I know........I am a whimp!............lol
    BURN IT UP >>>>>>>>PEDALOCTANE>>>>>>>

bi-winning
    I want to ride. Have not been on a bike in a few weeks. I did not haul any of my bike stuff home for the break, but my dad will probably let me borrow his Sugar.

I will post later today to confirm, but i should be able to join you.

Most rides people have been doing have been at night, which does not work for me, since i don't have any lights.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

dirt roadie
    Sounds like fun. Same as Ryan, I haven't been on the bike for a few weeks, and can't do night rides due to lack of lights. Also I've never done any trail rides in the winter.
    I might have to swap on flat pedals since it might be a bit chilly with my biking shoes. The Hei Hei won't be making an appearance yet, probably just ride my hardtail or 'cross bike.

mtbr member
    Count me in for this, the mountain bikes have been hanging far too long and need some action. I could stand to meet some new people also.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by zedfoto
    I might have to swap on flat pedals since it might be a bit chilly with my biking shoes.
    When riding clipless in cold weather my feet are always the first thing to get cold, even with neoprene booties.

And btw, frozen trails can be very choppy - lots of vibrations. I prefer a fs bike with very low tire pressure.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

dirt roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    And btw, frozen trails can be very choppy - lots of vibrations. I prefer a fs bike with very low tire pressure.
    You just want to check out the shiny new ride
    Besides, it has Maxxis Crossmark tires mounted, which would very suck in the snow.

veldrijder
    I'm in for sure - just have to make sure I have a way out to the trailhead, but I should have
    access to a car. As for location, starting at Shorhills sounds good to me, but maybe we can cross the road at 1st St into the 12 mile system and do the singletrack at that end while avoiding the rutted/icy doubletrack at the downtown end. If people are up for that much riding it's a great loop.

Are you sure about the weather though? Rain is expected saturday with the temp rising above freezing... sounds like a recipe for mud. Maybe we'll be out early enough at 9 to beat the weather.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/..._metric_e.html
    Last edited by jmoote; 01-04-2008 at 10:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Showers/flurries are supposed to be until the afternoon. With a low of -5 tonite, I think it's safe to say the air temperature should remain below 0 till atleast 11am. The open areas might soften up with sunshine before then, but the forested area's should stay nice and hard till after 11.

My guess

veldrijder
    You just want to check out the shiny new ride
    Besides, it has Maxxis Crossmark tires mounted, which would very suck in the snow.
    They're not as bad as you think... at least on the crunchy stuff back in November when I was on Crossmarks. The hard/icy snow we have now might call for something a bit more sturdy.

I'd like to see that shiny new ride too - that's a great looking model from Kona for sure

mtbr member

Saturday

JMoote...where do you live? If you need a ride and it's the difference between riding or not, I'd be willing to pick you up.

As for where we're riding to, I'm cool with crossing the road. We'll just play it by ear.

Dan

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    They're not as bad as you think... at least on the crunchy stuff back in November when I was on Crossmarks.
    I'd imagine most tires would work very well in those conditions. I was running a Python and Jones XR, both tires without a ton of tread, but they performed well in packed down snow.

I have no idea what to expect tomorrow, but daddy's Sugar has Mythos XC, which I'm sure should be as good as anything.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    JMoote...where do you live? If you need a ride and it's the difference between riding or not, I'd be willing to pick you up.

As for where we're riding to, I'm cool with crossing the road. We'll just play it by ear.

Dan
    I'm in Niagara Falls (nearest major intersection is Dorchester & Thorold Stone). It should be no problem though...

btw, I got in touch with Arnold about my gloves - Thanks for directing me to his post on the SCCC board

I'd imagine most tires would work very well in those conditions. I was running a Python and Jones XR, both tires without a ton of tread, but they performed well in packed down snow.

I have no idea what to expect tomorrow, but daddy's Sugar has Mythos XC, which I'm sure should be as good as anything.
    You're right, just about any tires are good in nice snow... last nights ride indicates that you'll want as much grip as possible. The Mythos XC will be nice. I'm running Conti Mountain King 2.4/2.2 and it was working well.
    Last edited by jmoote; 01-04-2008 at 03:51 PM.

bi-winning
    I'd just like to confirm that i fully plan to attend this ride. Dad gave me the green light to help myself to his bike and gear, and Mom says I can use the car.

See you at 9:00, at the Pelham road entrance.

mtbr member
    I'm in for sure too. I'll check this board tonight to see if anyone needs a lift.

Cheers Dan

veldrijder
    Yes, I am confirmed as well. I don't need a ride Dan, but thanks for the offer

dirt roadie
    I'm confirming as well.
    So should I bring the hardtail or full-sus. The thing is, if I break my new bike, I might cry.

bi-winning

A small favour

Could somebody please bring a shock pump? Mine is in Ancaster. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

dirt roadie
    Sure, I'll bring mine.

bi-winning
    Sure, I'll bring mine.
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    What are the conditions at ravenshoe now? anyone know?

veldrijder
    It looks like we have a good group. I'm looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow.

I'm confirming as well.
    So should I bring the hardtail or full-sus. The thing is, if I break my new bike, I might cry.
    My take is that you're going to go down with it eventually. I would hate to see anything happen, but you bought it to ride it If you're actually worried though, bring the other bike as I found I was not riding cleanly last night, and I'm usually a very smooth rider.

Single speed

Sat morning ride

Hey guys,

Just a heads up for ya.
    There's also a ride going out from the landfill parking lot by the brock Tim Hortons @ 10am. There may be a 1/2 dozen riders in that group. And I imagine they will be doing the trails in the opposit direction of the Squeezer.

Just keep your eyes peeled around the blind corners.

I probably won't be out tomorrow. As I am going out tonight. Giving a 3hr tour of our trails to fellow mtbr poster "nogearshere".
    Hope ya'll have a great ride.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by McGyver29er
    Hey guys,

Just a heads up for ya.
    There's also a ride going out from the landfill parking lot by the brock Tim Hortons @ 10am. There may be a 1/2 dozen riders in that group. And I imagine they will be doing the trails in the opposit direction of the Squeezer.

Just keep your eyes peeled around the blind corners.

I probably won't be out tomorrow. As I am going out tonight. Giving a 3hr tour of our trails to fellow mtbr poster "nogearshere".
    Hope ya'll have a great ride.
    Thanks for the heads up on the other group.

Be careful on the ice, especially if you're doing the doubletrack around the north end of 12 mile creek. The singletrack is great right now.

mtbr member
    Personally, I'll be riding my old-skool Raleigh hardtail. It has virtually no suspension, crappy shifting and poor handling. But with studded tires worth morth than the bike itself, it's a load of fun in the winter

Dan

almost there!
    Just rode a few parts of the Don Valley and it wasn't too bad.

The snow is packed down and a little bit wet so traction wasn't too much of a problem and it wasn't too bumpy either.

Enjoy it while you can before it gets too "warm and wet"!

dirt roadie
    That was a ton of fun, and the conditions were great. I've never ridden on the trails in the winter and that was definitely an experience. We must do that again some time
    Nice to meet the two Jeff's, and good to see Ryan and Dan again.

Here are the couple of pictures I took with my crappy camera...and Dan should be posting more.

mtbr member

Winter fun!

Yeah defintiely a good time. Here are a couple of photos, but the rest of the gallery is at:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...1&id=877250356

Thanks again to everyone that came out. Nice meeting some new faces.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images

veldrijder
    Thanks for posting the pics guys. I had a great time today, and really enjoyed meeting and riding with all of you. Anytime you're up for a ride (and the conditions are good) just let me know. In warmer conditions when the trails might be sloppy we can always head out on 'cross bikes for a road/path ride.

Conditions were great, though the subsequent section of trail (12 mile creek) that Ryan and I continued on to do was a bit muddy in spots in part due to the weather warming up. I'll cross-post or link to a ride report on my blog when (/if) I write one.

Cheers

bi-winning
    Great pictures guys!

I definitely had a good time. Awesome day for a ride.

The trails are turning to slop as i write this though. I'm glad we had the opportunity to get out there today.

Avenger of Evil
    I love the Short Hills during the summer, but I have never rode them in the winter.
    From the smiling faces, it looks like fun was had by all.
    Great job guys.

Now if someone could do a "left to right" on the group photo, we could put a face with a name. We all know who rkj is....so you can skip him.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by 1440Brad
    I love the Short Hills during the summer, but I have never rode them in the winter.
    From the smiling faces, it looks like fun was had by all.
    Great job guys.

Now if someone could do a "left to right" on the group photo, we could put a face with a name. We all know who rkj is....so you can skip him.
    Left to right of group photo:

ddakin, jmoote, CptSydor, rkj__, zedfoto.
    (Dan), (Jeff), (Jeff), (Ryan), (Rob).
    Last edited by rkj__; 01-05-2008 at 02:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Great ride guys, it was nice to meet some new people on some great trails. The hikers did a wonderful job laying the ground work. Now if only the conditions would stay that way.

Jeff

veldrijder
    Rob/Dan, you should post the pics over in the Winter Riding thread in the Passion forum: Post your Winter Riding Photos!
    Last edited by jmoote; 01-07-2008 at 09:25 PM.

dirt roadie
    Sure, thanks for the link....I'll just post a photo and a link to the thread though, since I'm far too lazy to try to hyperlink all the images

veldrijder
    Sure, thanks for the link....I'll just post a photo and a link to the thread though, since I'm far too lazy to try to hyperlink all the images
    Precisely the reason I didn't just do it myself

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    You guys totally had a great day for a ride - this weather now is just B A D

mtbr member
    Sep 2007

Damn....

I missed what looked like a good ride. If I hadnt already committed my services to helping someone move I would have been there. You know, sometimes owning a truck really really sucks.....

veldrijder
    The weather forecast this week is looking like the trails will be frozen Saturday and covered with a light dusting of snow. Temp around 4*

Who's in for this Saturday or Sunday (19/20 Jan)? Meet at shorthills, we'll ride the outer loop and if you'd like we can also continue and do 12 mile creek. It will be a little colder than last time, so we'll have to keep moving to stay warm
    Last edited by jmoote; 01-18-2008 at 06:45 AM.

dirt roadie
    It looks like it's going to be very windy, but sheltered in the Short Hills it shouldn't be so bad. I have a feeling that it is still going to be muddy in there though. But if it is frozen then I am in. I may even bring the Hei Hei for it's maiden voyage. Saturday looks like a better day than Sunday, weatherwise.

I can't stand the flat pedals, so I may use your method of plastic bags and warm socks.

veldrijder
    I'm fairly confident things will be frozen, as temps are staying just below zero at the highest for the next few days. The more snow we have, the better the conditions will be. The forecast has changed a bit since my post, with Saturday now around -1* and Sunday at -8*

Saturday morning sounds good - I look forward to seeing the Hei Hei in action

veldrijder
    Temperatures are holding below freezing and getting colder as I type. It looks like Rob and I at least will be riding - please post if you'd like to join. Last time there was 5 and it was a blast, though I know some can't make it this time.

I'm going to say Saturday, 0945 at the Pelham Rd parking lot for Shorthills?

mtbr member
    Sorry guys. I'd love to join you again, but I scheduled myself for some other activities early Saturday.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    Sorry guys. I'd love to join you again, but I scheduled myself for some other activities early Saturday.
    If you are interested in a ride in the Hamilton area any time this weekend, let me know. I hope to get the bike outside this weekend.

mtbr member
    I haven't decided if I'm in for Saturday or not yet. I'm thinking I might do the St. Catharines CC road ride though.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    I haven't decided if I'm in for Saturday or not yet. I'm thinking I might do the St. Catharines CC road ride though.
    hmm, yes... I'm going to be joining as soon as the 2008 membership forms are up, which I'm told is next week sometime.

What about Sunday, if you do the SCCC ride on Saturday? I'm not doing anything all weekend and it didn't sound like Rob was either.

dirt roadie
    The thing with Sunday is that it is going to be very cold and windy (-8C and 35kph winds). I am looking outside and there is a lot of running water in the low areas; I really do want to go riding, but unless we get some snow accumulation, I still think it's going to be mucky.

veldrijder
    My Lake winter boots just got here, and they look like they'll work great

Temps have been below zero all day and are dropping... I know it was warm yesterday, but I'm pretty sure the ground will be frozen in the morning. Leave the Hei Hei home to stay clean if you like, but I think the riding will be good
    Last edited by jmoote; 01-18-2008 at 03:30 PM.

dirt roadie
    My Lake winter boots just got here, and they look like they'll work great
    Yeah well to you and your warm feet.

Leave the Hei Hei home to stay clean if you like, but I think the riding will be good.
    I'll bring the Hei Hei out, since I've had it for almost a month and it's only been outside once (carrying it from the shop to my car), and I want to try this full suspension thing.
    I don't mind a little dirt, it's the thick mud that I don't want to have to clean off; but I suppose we won't be riding where it's really mucky. The temperature is supposed to drop over the day, so a morning ride will be good.

bi-winning
    Yeah well to you and your warm feet.

I'll bring the Hei Hei out, since I've had it for almost a month and it's only been outside once (carrying it from the shop to my car), and I want to try this full suspension thing.
    I don't mind a little dirt, it's the thick mud that I don't want to have to clean off; but I suppose we won't be riding where it's really mucky. The temperature is supposed to drop over the day, so a morning ride will be good.
    I went for a short ride at Iriquois heights today, and the trails were almost completely frozen solid. There were a few slick spots, but that is because the sun was out all day. Another spot was wet, because it was in an open area (got sun) and the drainage sucks bad. Other than that one spot, it was great riding.

Be sure to bundle up! It is cold out there.

veldrijder
    Great - see you at 09:45 Rob, and anyone else that wants to join. Pelham rd entrance to Shorthills PP

bi-winning
    Well, I plan to be heading to Niagara for the weekend. With a few cm of snow, and expected temperatures slightly below zero, I think another Shorthills ride might be a good idea!

Who can make it out this weekend?

dirt roadie
    Saturday: -2C, light snow, 15kph winds
    Sunday: 1C, variable cloudiness, 30kph winds

If those temperatures don't change much, I may just ride both days
    I promise there will be no more orange juice incidents

veldrijder
    Reading the weather I was thinking this weekend should make for excellent riding. My bike should be back in one piece and converted to singlespeed (it's currently stripped down awaiting re-assembly).

If those temperatures don't change much, I may just ride both days
    I promise there will be no more orange juice incidents
    Good plan skipping the orange juice

I'm in for either/both days. I'm always up for as much riding as possible.

mtbr member
    Sunday -18, -27 with the wind and I had an awesome 3 hour ride here, 1 hour west of Toronto. Very little snow and hard frozen ground

Yesterday -8 for a night ride with about 7 inches of fresh powder. It was a tough workout but fun as hell.

My simple advice to everyone who wants to ride but thinks it cold; you're right it's freakin' freezing in the parking lots but once you actually get on the bike and move you're hot in about 5-8 minutes. That -27 ride ............ I had to stop 1/2 hour in to start peeling off layers and by the end I had a long sleeved dry-fit t-shirt, a fleece vest and a windbreaker on (plus my long johns and riding / running pants and skull cap under the helmet) By the time I reached the parking lot again I was drenched with sweat.

Give it a try, it's a new experience and you'll be hooked.
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by bagpipes
    Sunday -18, -27 with the wind and I had an awesome 3 hour ride here, 1 hour west of Toronto. Very little snow and hard frozen ground

Yesterday -8 for a night ride with about 7 inches of fresh powder. It was a tough workout but fun as hell.

My simple advice to everyone who wants to ride but thinks it cold; you're right it's freakin' freezing in the parking lots but once you actually get on the bike and move you're hot in about 5-8 minutes. That -27 ride ............ I had to stop 1/2 hour in to start peeling off layers and by the end I had a long sleeved dry-fit t-shirt, a fleece vest and a windbreaker on (plus my long johns and riding / running pants and skull cap under the helmet) By the time I reached the parking lot again I was drenched with sweat.

Give it a try, it's a new experience and you'll be hooked.
    What do you wear on your feet, and do you use any chemical warmers? My feet always get cold first.

mtbr member
    I use flat pedals (no clips) and I use ankle high hiking boots with WOOL socks. I picked up the socks at Marks Work Wearhouse that are rated for -40 and they work.

As for my hands, they always got cold until this year when I bought a pair of gloves with the open fingers but the "mitten" cover that flips over your fingertips. They work far better than gloves do just because your fingers are together and keep the body heat going.

As for chemical warmers ................ never ................ no need with the woolies and the mitten top gloves.

Cheers.

Avenger of Evil
    Hey Bagpipes,
    Where are you riding? I think you are in the same part of the province as I am.
    I went out for a walk to scout the trails, and I found them all way too icy and rough to ride.
    He!!, I would even take a rail trail right now.....
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

veldrijder
    What do you wear on your feet, and do you use any chemical warmers? My feet always get cold first.
    I think the only practical solutions below about -5 are either winter cycling boots (I just got a pair of the Lake MXZs) or a warm hiking style boot on flat pedals (I forget how to ride flats ). Wool socks help in all cases, but doubling up on socks does not - it's important to keep things loose to maintain bloodflow down there.

mtbr member
    As much as I'd like to join you fella's, I'm off to Cleveland with the family for some riding @ Ray's Indoor Park Friday and Saturday!

Have fun.

Dan

veldrijder
    Which day/time this weekend, guys?

I don't think we have to worry about things thawing so any time of day should be fine for conditions.

bi-winning
    Which day/time this weekend, guys?

I don't think we have to worry about things thawing so any time of day should be fine for conditions.
    I prefer early Saturday morning. 9:00 ish?

dirt roadie
    I'm not limited transportation-wise, so whatever time is good for you guys. 9:00 is a bit early, but I may be going to Toronto on Saturday afternoon anyways, so early is good. I think it's supposed to be milder than last weekend so maybe my feet won't freeze as quickly.

I might even go again on Sunday since the weather looks even better then.

We should also exchange cell numbers in case anything happens in the future.

bi-winning
    I'm not limited transportation-wise, so whatever time is good for you guys. 9:00 is a bit early, but I may be going to Toronto on Saturday afternoon anyways, so early is good. I think it's supposed to be milder than last weekend so maybe my feet won't freeze as quickly.

I might even go again on Sunday since the weather looks even better then.

We should also exchange cell numbers in case anything happens in the future.
    9:30?

I don't have a cell of my own, but can usually borrow one when i take the car, so feel free to pm me your numbers so that i can call you if something happens.

veldrijder
    9 or 9:30 are both fine with me. PMs coming with cell number.

dirt roadie
    Let's do 9am. I'll be awake

bi-winning
    Let's do 9am. I'll be awake
    Sounds good. Barring any unforseen surcumstances, i will be at the Pelham road entrance, ready to ride for 9. With my own bike and gear this time too.

veldrijder
    Great, see you guys then

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    How long do you guys usually ride for?

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by 2WD
    How long do you guys usually ride for?
    Usually we do the two main loops in Shorthills, taking about 1.5h and then if people feel like it they can cut over to 12 mile creek and do the 8x12 course. Feel free to join us tomorrow if you're not busy!

mtbr Decade+

Where in the name of H-E-double hockey sticks is Pelham?

and what level do you guys ride at?

I'm very interested in a ride, oh, and I'm in Stoney Creek. However, I'm out of practice and don't want to slow people down.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    and what level do you guys ride at?

I'm very interested in a ride, oh, and I'm in Stoney Creek. However, I'm out of practice and don't want to slow people down.
    Google maps is your friend.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...2314&z=12&om=0

I would consider the pace to be "recreational." We are not out to race each other. It's best to keep moving though in cold weather, so long breaks at the tops of climbs are not ideal.

veldrijder
    I would consider the pace to be "recreational." We are not out to race each other. It's best to keep moving though in cold weather, so long breaks at the tops of climbs are not ideal.
    I agree, a "recreational" pace to me means going fast enough to keep warm, but slower than a "training" pace.

Here's a pretty accurate guide to getting there from Stoney Creek: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=e...UTF8&z=15&om=0

That destination is approximately where the parking lot is.

dirt roadie
    However, I'm out of practice and don't want to slow people down.
    Don't worry about slowing everyone down, trust me. Besides...that's my job
    This ride is just about a bunch of people on bikes having a good time

I can PM you my cell number if you feel you might get lost on the way and need directions. Hope to see you all there on Saturday!
    Last edited by zedfoto; 01-25-2008 at 09:54 AM.

mtbr Decade+

Sure drop me your number...

I'm 97% sure I'll go. What does everyone use for hydration when its 20 below?

veldrijder
    You'll find your bottles freeze slower the more dissolved salts, so energy drink which is full of electrolytes and sugar is perfect. Water is fine too, but freezes if down on the bike for long. I've heard of people "socking" their bottles, and I'm sure a Camelbak type pack would keep it liquid longer as well.

bi-winning
    I don't ride when it is 20 below

mtbr member
    Why not? It's only cold when you exit the car, put your bucket on and make it to the trail head. After that it's warm and then hot. You are as cold for about as long as it takes the average person to get from the car to the workplace door; and we can all do that. (some with more enthusiasm than others)

As for drinks, just an idea, hot chocolate in a thermos for the post ride. You're sweaty enough to want to peel off layers but a warm drink prevents a chill from being wet and standing still.

mmmmmmmmmmmmchocolate.

veldrijder
    However, I'm out of practice and don't want to slow people down.
    Don't worry about holding us up - I'm running a 33/20 singlespeed so I won't be going all that fast anyway (possibly a poor gear choice, but it's what I bought parts for... a 17T is in the mail).

See you all in the morning

dirt roadie
    Good ride today; nice to meet you Ed. It was a little chillier than I thought it would be, so I had to stop and warm my hands up. Then I wanted to at least finish the ride, so I took off down trail 2, and after a few strange stares and comments from hikers, I came across Ryan and Jeff. We only got a short distance until Jeff sheared a bolt and bent his brand new chainring (hope you managed to get another one!)

So here are the pics:

veldrijder
    Thanks for the ride guys; sorry I had to cut it short, as I would have liked to finish the #2 loop at least.

I went to Clarkson and Glen helped me straighten the chainring out with a vice and wrench. He said it should be fine, and gave me some advice on not over tightening the bolts, using threadlock, etc.

It should be good to go again this afternoon

mtbr Decade+

I thought your car was still there...

I was not frozen but getting cold. If I had been familiar with the trails and was comfortable with getting out quick I may have stayed for the second loop. However, my heart rate was up for an hour so that was adequate for my second ride of the year.

Yes, it was great to meet you guys and get in a Sat. morning ride. I had a similar setup as Jeff on a homemade SS as well and it was constantly giving me problems. Of course, my tensioner was a cheapie, not a Rennen, so hopefully he'll have better luck.

Eventually I bought a bike with horizontal(an 07 Jamis exile SS) dropouts and am looking forward to riding that in the spring.

Take care guys,
    Ed

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Usually we do the two main loops in Shorthills, taking about 1.5h and then if people feel like it they can cut over to 12 mile creek and do the 8x12 course. Feel free to join us tomorrow if you're not busy!
    One of these days I will! Probably going out behind Brock tomorrow - hopefully the weather will hold up!

veldrijder
    One of these days I will! Probably going out behind Brock tomorrow - hopefully the weather will hold up!
    I'm hoping to ride tomorrow, once I put my drivetrain back together. Are you riding with anyone else? I assume you mean you'll head down behind Brock and then do the 12 mile creek trails?

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    That sucks about that chainring. Ya, there's going to be 4 of us so far - the plan is to meet at 9am at the Timmy's near Brock, and then go from there behind Brock - we'll probably loop around and up hydro a few times to get some extra climbing in there.

veldrijder
    That sucks about that chainring. Ya, there's going to be 4 of us so far - the plan is to meet at 9am at the Timmy's near Brock, and then go from there behind Brock - we'll probably loop around and up hydro a few times to get some extra climbing in there.
    Hill repeats on hydro hill in January - you guys are nuts. Would it be acceptable if I joined anyway? If I'm feeling masochistic I'll come do that on the singlespeed... or would a cross bike be suitable (therefore giving me gears)?

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Most definately (nuts, and for joining us!) Ride whatever you wanna ride! See you then - we'll be the ones with the Devinici's!

dirt roadie
    I'll probably be out tomorrow as well, maybe I will do the Brock/Decew loop as well as I haven't in a while (not Hydro Hill though). I'm going to go out a bit later in the morning though depending if my brother decides to come or not.

veldrijder
    Most definately (nuts, and for joining us!) Ride whatever you wanna ride! See you then - we'll be the ones with the Devinici's!
    I hope you read this before you go - don't wait for me, as I think I'm going to sleep in a bit and catch a different ride.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    Fun ride today! Hope this weather holds!

dirt roadie
    Fun ride today! Hope this weather holds!
    Yeah, today was fantastic weather for riding. Jeff and I had a good ride, we went up the top of the garbage mountain, and around Brock to the Decew trails. There were lots of people hiking, but also more bike tire tracks than we expected to see. I figured out that Racing Ralph's suck in the snow

mtbr member
    Too bad I missed out! 1* and sunny Monday afternoon though. Anyone interested in a ride somewhere? Or are all you suckers working/in school?

Dan

bi-winning
    I figured out that Racing Ralph's suck in the snow
    That problem can be fixed

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    I figured out that Racing Ralph's suck in the snow
    Try the Schwalbe Nobby Nics.
    I've run them in the snow for the past two years.
    Did the LIB! Freezer last year with them.
    They hook up pretty good in the snow.
    Didn't fall at all on the ride yesterday round Brock.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    Try the Schwalbe Nobby Nics.
    I've run them in the snow for the past two years.
    Did the LIB! Freezer last year with them.
    They hook up pretty good in the snow.
    Didn't fall at all on the ride yesterday round Brock.
    Although the NN is a nice tire, they rarely come cheap. Most tires with large and spaced out knobs will work rather well.

Browsing Jenson; you could get a pair of Kenda Kinetics for $30, with folding bead and front and rear specific treads. Nice large knobbies. I have actually seen Kinetics at Canadian Tire as well. The same can be said for the Kenda Smoke-Style. Good climbing traction, available at Canadian Tire, and for cheap online. Tires start as low as $12 at some LBS, so it would be a cheap fix if you plan to do a lot of snow riding. WTB Velociraptors, IRC Mythos XC, Kenda Klaw.... lots of decent tires you should be able to find for cheap.

I had a Hutchinson Spider on the rear, and i was very happy with it's performance. I have seen them for $20 online.

Personally, i figured out the Bontrager Jones XR front sucks as a snow tire too. I kinda expected that though.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Although the NN is a nice tire, they rarely come cheap. Most tires with large and spaced out knobs will work rather well.
    rkj_ have you ridden on Nobby Nics much?
    Just curious on what you thought of them vs the Kenda Kinetics for overall traction/speed/weight.

The Nobby Nics in my opinion are the best all round tire that I have ever used.
    In my books well worth the money and you only have to buy one set for all round use.
    They are good in the mud, snow and hard pack. The price isn't too bad for a quality tire,$67.70 a tire shipped from Universal Cycle with coupon.

The poster was already using Ralphs which are about the same cost of Nics.

FWIW,
    The Ralph in front / Nic in back combo makes for a great set of tires for racing.
    {(edit) oops should have been nic up front and ralph in back.}
    I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some of the 2008 models of both of these tires.
    Last edited by PUBCRAWL; 01-28-2008 at 10:23 AM.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

dirt roadie
    The poster was already using Ralphs which are about the same cost of Nics.

FWIW,
    The Ralph in front / Nic in back combo makes for a great set of tires for racing.
    I'm looking forward to getting my hands on some of the 2008 models of both of these tires.
    I have the '08 Ralphs 2.1 size, and on a dry surface, they have lots of lateral grip, even on the front. Since it's almost February, it's kind of late to go out and buy tires just for snow riding...that and the Ralphs were expensive enough
    My only other options are Crossmarks and sort of worn-out Ignitors.

bi-winning
    rkj_ have you ridden on Nobby Nics much?
    Just curious on what you thought of them vs the Kenda Kinetics for overall traction/speed/weight.
    No, I actually don't have much experience with either tire. I am only making generalizations about what works well in snowy conditions, and was suggesting cheaper alternatives to the Schwalbes.

veldrijder
    I agree with Ryan - go with something cheap that works for the snow and spend the money on your racing tires for the summer. I plan to be on a bigger size of the Ralphs, probably 29x2.4 (or 2.25). I can imagine Nics being great right now, but I think they'd be too slow on dry hardpack.

I'm running Conti Mountain Kings right now and for $21/tire online they're fantastic. They're the heavy wire bead model, but for winter it's fine; my legs can use the extra work hauling their weight. It hasn't been my tires holding me back lately, but rather my legs (and occasionally sheared chainring bolts )

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    I agree with Ryan - go with something cheap that works for the snow and spend the money on your racing tires for the summer. I plan to be on a bigger size of the Ralphs, probably 29x2.4 (or 2.25). I can imagine Nics being great right now, but I think they'd be too slow on dry hardpack.
    You think wrong...
    They are not slow on hardpack.

Nobby Nics (not 2008 models) are not as fast rolling as the Ralphs, which I have as well and use in extremely dry conditions, but they are not slow by any means.

As well the Nics roll faster than the IRC Mybros, which I have also tried, they are another good light tire but not an all 'rounder like the Nic, they totally suck in the mud unlike the Nic.

Hunter S. Thompson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0