Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Winter MTB Saturday morning?

Alright guys, who wants in? I'm thinking let's meet at the Pelham Road entrace to Shorthills at 9am for a ride through there. It should be well packed down because of the hikers and horse people.

No crazy speeds, just a fun bit of winter riding. They're calling for -1 and sunny in the morning.

Who's in? I would be open to other locations too.

Dan

mtbr member
    dam............power to you guys for wanting to ride in this ice box!

I will stick to spinning.............I know I know........I am a whimp!............lol
    BURN IT UP >>>>>>>>PEDALOCTANE>>>>>>>

bi-winning
    I want to ride. Have not been on a bike in a few weeks. I did not haul any of my bike stuff home for the break, but my dad will probably let me borrow his Sugar.

I will post later today to confirm, but i should be able to join you.

Most rides people have been doing have been at night, which does not work for me, since i don't have any lights.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

dirt roadie
    Sounds like fun. Same as Ryan, I haven't been on the bike for a few weeks, and can't do night rides due to lack of lights. Also I've never done any trail rides in the winter.
    I might have to swap on flat pedals since it might be a bit chilly with my biking shoes. The Hei Hei won't be making an appearance yet, probably just ride my hardtail or 'cross bike.

mtbr member
    Count me in for this, the mountain bikes have been hanging far too long and need some action. I could stand to meet some new people also.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by zedfoto
    I might have to swap on flat pedals since it might be a bit chilly with my biking shoes.
    When riding clipless in cold weather my feet are always the first thing to get cold, even with neoprene booties.

And btw, frozen trails can be very choppy - lots of vibrations. I prefer a fs bike with very low tire pressure.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

dirt roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    And btw, frozen trails can be very choppy - lots of vibrations. I prefer a fs bike with very low tire pressure.
    You just want to check out the shiny new ride
    Besides, it has Maxxis Crossmark tires mounted, which would very suck in the snow.

veldrijder
    I'm in for sure - just have to make sure I have a way out to the trailhead, but I should have
    access to a car. As for location, starting at Shorhills sounds good to me, but maybe we can cross the road at 1st St into the 12 mile system and do the singletrack at that end while avoiding the rutted/icy doubletrack at the downtown end. If people are up for that much riding it's a great loop.

Are you sure about the weather though? Rain is expected saturday with the temp rising above freezing... sounds like a recipe for mud. Maybe we'll be out early enough at 9 to beat the weather.

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/city/..._metric_e.html
    Last edited by jmoote; 01-04-2008 at 09:29 AM.

mtbr member
    Showers/flurries are supposed to be until the afternoon. With a low of -5 tonite, I think it's safe to say the air temperature should remain below 0 till atleast 11am. The open areas might soften up with sunshine before then, but the forested area's should stay nice and hard till after 11.

My guess

veldrijder
    You just want to check out the shiny new ride
    Besides, it has Maxxis Crossmark tires mounted, which would very suck in the snow.
    They're not as bad as you think... at least on the crunchy stuff back in November when I was on Crossmarks. The hard/icy snow we have now might call for something a bit more sturdy.

I'd like to see that shiny new ride too - that's a great looking model from Kona for sure

mtbr member

Saturday

JMoote...where do you live? If you need a ride and it's the difference between riding or not, I'd be willing to pick you up.

As for where we're riding to, I'm cool with crossing the road. We'll just play it by ear.

Dan

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    They're not as bad as you think... at least on the crunchy stuff back in November when I was on Crossmarks.
    I'd imagine most tires would work very well in those conditions. I was running a Python and Jones XR, both tires without a ton of tread, but they performed well in packed down snow.

I have no idea what to expect tomorrow, but daddy's Sugar has Mythos XC, which I'm sure should be as good as anything.

Shorthills Cycling Club

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    JMoote...where do you live? If you need a ride and it's the difference between riding or not, I'd be willing to pick you up.

As for where we're riding to, I'm cool with crossing the road. We'll just play it by ear.

Dan
    I'm in Niagara Falls (nearest major intersection is Dorchester & Thorold Stone). It should be no problem though...

btw, I got in touch with Arnold about my gloves - Thanks for directing me to his post on the SCCC board

Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I'd imagine most tires would work very well in those conditions. I was running a Python and Jones XR, both tires without a ton of tread, but they performed well in packed down snow.

I have no idea what to expect tomorrow, but daddy's Sugar has Mythos XC, which I'm sure should be as good as anything.
    You're right, just about any tires are good in nice snow... last nights ride indicates that you'll want as much grip as possible. The Mythos XC will be nice. I'm running Conti Mountain King 2.4/2.2 and it was working well.
    Last edited by jmoote; 01-04-2008 at 02:51 PM.

bi-winning
    I'd just like to confirm that i fully plan to attend this ride. Dad gave me the green light to help myself to his bike and gear, and Mom says I can use the car.

See you at 9:00, at the Pelham road entrance.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    I'm in for sure too. I'll check this board tonight to see if anyone needs a lift.

Cheers Dan

veldrijder
    Yes, I am confirmed as well. I don't need a ride Dan, but thanks for the offer

dirt roadie
    I'm confirming as well.
    So should I bring the hardtail or full-sus. The thing is, if I break my new bike, I might cry.

bi-winning

A small favour

Could somebody please bring a shock pump? Mine is in Ancaster. I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Shorthills Cycling Club

dirt roadie
    Sure, I'll bring mine.

bi-winning
    Sure, I'll bring mine.
    Thanks!

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    What are the conditions at ravenshoe now? anyone know?

veldrijder
    It looks like we have a good group. I'm looking forward to meeting you all tomorrow.

I'm confirming as well.
    So should I bring the hardtail or full-sus. The thing is, if I break my new bike, I might cry.
    My take is that you're going to go down with it eventually. I would hate to see anything happen, but you bought it to ride it If you're actually worried though, bring the other bike as I found I was not riding cleanly last night, and I'm usually a very smooth rider.

Single speed

Sat morning ride

Hey guys,

Just a heads up for ya.
    There's also a ride going out from the landfill parking lot by the brock Tim Hortons @ 10am. There may be a 1/2 dozen riders in that group. And I imagine they will be doing the trails in the opposit direction of the Squeezer.

Just keep your eyes peeled around the blind corners.

I probably won't be out tomorrow. As I am going out tonight. Giving a 3hr tour of our trails to fellow mtbr poster "nogearshere".
    Hope ya'll have a great ride.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by McGyver29er
    Hey guys,

Just a heads up for ya.
    There's also a ride going out from the landfill parking lot by the brock Tim Hortons @ 10am. There may be a 1/2 dozen riders in that group. And I imagine they will be doing the trails in the opposit direction of the Squeezer.

Just keep your eyes peeled around the blind corners.

I probably won't be out tomorrow. As I am going out tonight. Giving a 3hr tour of our trails to fellow mtbr poster "nogearshere".
    Hope ya'll have a great ride.
    Thanks for the heads up on the other group.

Be careful on the ice, especially if you're doing the doubletrack around the north end of 12 mile creek. The singletrack is great right now.

mtbr member
    Personally, I'll be riding my old-skool Raleigh hardtail. It has virtually no suspension, crappy shifting and poor handling. But with studded tires worth morth than the bike itself, it's a load of fun in the winter

Dan

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast