nimble biker

Is this winter last a bit too long?

Is this winter really longer than previous one? the weather is still quite cold. Environment Canada indicates that winter still last for 6more weeks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Picard
    Is this winter really longer than previous one? the weather is still quite cold. Environment Canada indicates that winter still last for 6more weeks.
    Where does it say that??

mtbr member
    This winter has been longer that most. This is primarily due February being one day longer this year. Lots more snow that last year too.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Longer for sure, I've got pictures on my computer of a ride last year on March 27th where I'm riding at Turkey Point in shorts and short sleeve jersey. I remember that day, it was like 15 degrees, right now its 2 degrees and the trails are under snow ice and mud
    Come on spring!!!!

2011 Cannondale SL4 29er
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Made in Canada
    Bah I know exactly where everyone is coming from... there's still about a foot of snow left by drifts in some place of my back yard, although some is bare ground too... I just want it to get warm and dry already. I mean I guess I'm somewhat happy it's raining right now, at least the snow will melt. I swear my new bike build up is just taunting me sitting in the basment though, this is not a fun start to spring at all...
    STOLEN: '07 Banshee Viento - See Eastern Canada Forum for Pictures. If anyone sees it contact me ASAP!

bi-winning
    I think the biggest difference this year is that we got more snow over the winter, and hence it will take longer before it melts away. Last march, i was not really doing any trail riding, just a few cases of snow covered rail trail, and some road rides. In Ancaster, we actually got a dusting of snow in the first week of April last year.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    It was about 15 today in windsor. I made it out for my first non winter ride, I actually ducked out of work about 1/2 hour early to get a ride in. Was windy as hell and the trails were flooded but it felt so damn good to actually get on a bike and just go, the trainer is really starting to get to me. Got to ride paved trails and do lots of climbing at the local hill, 2 hours went by like nothing, on the trainer I would have done 45 minutes but it would have felt like 2 hours.

Hopefully with a little patience we'll all be riding before we know it. Maybe we'll get lucky and have the riding season extended since it's coming so late this year.

Live Free or Ride!
    This winter has been long and there was tonnes of snow. I'm pretty sure we broke or came close to breaking the accumulation record. It'll take another couple of weeks to melt and dry out.

BTW: Think we have it bad, go to Quebec, almost twice as much.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantMartin

BTW: Think we have it bad, go to Quebec, almost twice as much.
    Their snow should be mostly melted by the end of the summer
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Yeah, I'm in Quebec City and I'll probably see the color of grass for the first time in July. haha

mtbr member
    Far to long....i've been healthy all winter and now that it's so nice this weekend im sick as a dog and cant go out riding...pisses me right off
    09 Demo 8 I
    06' Big Hit III
    06' Hardrock Pro
    08' P3

Shane C.

Calm Like a Bomb
    i always find the winters long but this year it was a pretty mild winter for me....still though...we are planning on moving somewhere where we can ride year round or close to it
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)

mtbr member
    ya i'd like to move out to Vancouver island but have to wait a few years to get debt caught up
    09 Demo 8 I
    06' Big Hit III
    06' Hardrock Pro
    08' P3

Shane C.

Calm Like a Bomb
    Quote Originally Posted by Nothings_Shocking
    ya i'd like to move out to Vancouver island but have to wait a few years to get debt caught up
    yeah, we are looking into vancouver and surrounding areas...with the possibility of the states
    V-10c (custom)
    Nomadc (custom)