Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Winter footwear. I have no money.

Just wondering what you guys do for footwear? Im clipped in and wont get platforms, they just feel odd now.

I have some pearl izumis now, and once the snow flys It might not handle the cold.
    Whats the best bang for the buck in keeping my feet warm.

Last year I had platforms and just wore my work boots. These were ok once I got warmed up.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    MEC shoe covers, $29. Used them till after New Years last year, never had cold feet.
    Not sure if they would do the trick when it gets real cold but done everything I need.

MEC Drencher Shoe Covers (Unisex) - Mountain Equipment Co-op. Free Shipping Available

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Awsome. That I can afford . For the most part I dont remember it getting to crazy cold last year, so those might work just fine.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Just wondering what you guys do for footwear? Im clipped in and wont get platforms, they just feel odd now.
    Are you looking for a trail-capable option? Or just commuting, or else road/rail trail type of stuff where you aren't expecting to need to put a foot down frequently?

Answer to the above makes a big difference in best "on the cheap" recommendations.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ahh I forgot to mention that. Probably important.

Trails and lots of exploring at night, so yes I will need to put a fot down often. Its very rocky where I am.

sheep in FOX clothing
    The pitfall of the show cover is that if you walk in snow it will get jammed into every conceivable nook and cranny between the shoe and the cover, to the point that your cleat recess is pretty much iced over.

The neoprene overboots, while very warm and very waterproof, were even worse since you basically cut a round hole in the bottom of them for the cleat and then jammed snow into it as you walked.

But at the low-budget pricepoint, I don't see much choice for the clipless devotee, besides.... avoiding walking in snow.

MEC didn't have the Exustars last time I was in there, and the other dedicated winter SPD boots will be at least 150 out the door.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    The pitfall of the show cover is that if you walk in snow it will get jammed into every conceivable nook and cranny between the shoe and the cover, to the point that your cleat recess is pretty much iced over.

The neoprene overboots, while very warm and very waterproof, were even worse since you basically cut a round hole in the bottom of them for the cleat.

But at the low-budget pricepoint, I don't see much choice besides avoiding walking in snow. MEC didn't have the Exustars last time I was in there, and the other dedicated winter boots will be at least 150 out the door.
    +1 on all above.

Regular shoes with overbooties are a reasonable option if feet are remaining on the pedals, but if walking around in snow is required they're a poor option. Between snow intrusion, and cold radiating up through the metal cleat and backing plate they're of very limited effectiveness.

The Exustars were the value winner for a clipless winter shoe, but MEC doesn't even list them on their site any more. Not sure if there is another source for purchasing them in Canada.

There are many other winter shoe options, but all more expensive. During Spring season it's easier to find deals on winter shoes, but it's high demand time now and sale prices are unlikely.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Meh.. shoes.

Socks and the materiel they are made of have more an effect then the shoe in winter. And the best known material for winter riding is wool. And best to layer if possible. And really one is better to buy a set of beater SPD's that are bigger then your normal size.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Meh.. shoes.

Socks and the materiel they are made of have more an effect then the shoe in winter. And the best known material for winter riding is wool. And best to layer if possible. And really one is better to buy a set of beater SPD's that are bigger then your normal size.
    That's a good suggestion, so long as the snow isn't slushy or wet. The bigger shoe size (length and width) as suggested by Enduramil is really key if you can find a cheapo 2nd hand pair on Craigslist. A thick sock in regular size clipless shoes will lead to poor circulation and freeze your feet faster than you can say frostbite 5 times over.

Also never overlook the "bread bag" option over the socks, under the shoes, although definitely not the most breathable setup!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Well the shoes I have are to big! I have learned to live with them since they were free. They are a size 12 but a small 12. I take a 10.5 in regular shoes. Im sure I have room for some good thick sox. Mabye even two.

Feel stupid for not thinking of that.

bi-winning
    Definitely go for some wool socks. Check to make sure they are not just some blend of like 7% wool too.

Neoprene booties help, but have notable flaws as mentioned above.

When it is really cold, platforms are still the best way to go IMHO.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Lemmy Rules!
    A good pair of warm ski socks and a slightly oversized shoe are a good option but +1 on the Exustars if you can find them...
    Strava made me do it....

'Tis but a scratch
    I really would like to buy myself a pair of Lake MXZ302's, but they go for $270+. I've opted to go with platforms and a decent pair of waterproof hiking boots, which I already own. That with the wool socks and I was "golden" last winter. I used that same set up for my winter hikes and was happy as well. So, I know it is effective for riding and hiking. I do miss clipless in the winter, but its a trade-off I make for affordable warm feet.

mtbr member
    I got Shimano boots a couple years ago from my local shop. I was fed up and ready to buy them no matter what they cost. I called and asked if they still had any and they were on sale for something like 50-60 dollars. Score!

You need boots and wool socks if you want to ride at below 0oC. If you're biking at night in the winter try to have a riding partner or at least make sure someone knows where you went.

mtbr member
    Use your flats and work-boots. It's probably cheaper to replace your work-boots than the cycling shoes you may ruin while riding in the winter.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Machine, if your shoes have the room.....
    use neoprene hunting socks.

I've been using them for years and they work fantastic. I've even fell through ice up to my knees and my feet still stayed warm enough to finish the day (which was brutally cold btw.)

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm an SPD guy through and through, and I still think platforms are the way to go for the winter. Yeah it feels weird, but it's probably good for your technique to mix it up a bit anyway. I rode just about every weekend last year with my 5.10s and wool socks.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    The bigger shoe size (length and width) as suggested by Enduramil is really key if you can find a cheapo 2nd hand pair on Craigslist.
    Pinkbike as well.

One important detail... look for a non pointy toed racer type shoe. You want to look for one's that are closer to Shimano DX types for the extra width in the toe area. Sidi type toe boxes don't offer enough room for your toes to move around.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I lather vaseline on my feet before I put my ski socks on then my shoes. Helps with the wind. and I've tried the plastic baggie trick. Cannot stand booties, the toes are always flipping up. I'm going to have to resort to duct taping them now! I'm waiting on a pair of Lake winter boots, biting the cost this year. Will be worth it. Problem for me is finding a pair small enough !

Last winter I threw on the platforms and rode in my Sorels. Problem solved. If you are putting your foot down lots anyways, best option and most economical. Will prob keep your feet the toastiest too.

mtbr member
    If anyone is looking for a set of Exustars, size 43 fire me a pm (fit big for a 43, probably about a size 10) They are well used. I need smaller set.

mtbr member
    these are the ultimate winter riding boot 45NRTH but they are a little pricey.

mtbr member
    I am all for platforms in the winter as well. You then have a nice choice of footwear depending on conditions. I will wear anything from my 5-10's, to hiking shoe to a full on winter boot if conditions warrant it. I ride both urban and trail in the winter. I threw a pair or flats on my road bike last year as there was no snow till late in the season when it was really cold. Even with booties, I could not keep my feet comfortable. Also riding around the city, you get slush and lost of wet conditions from melting due to salt or heat from buildings and cars. A nice Goretex boot or hiking shoe is quite welcome. Also it's slippery out there and I would rather have no cleat.

mtbr member
    Another little trick is to trace your foot on some styrofoam (clean meat-packing tray works well) and make a cut-out to insulate beneath the insole.

I also ride with plastic bags over my shoes and beneath neoprene booties. Thin enough to clip in to and keeps the wet off of the shoe. However these like any mods to your regular shoe are simply buying minutes until your feet freeze as opposed to keeping them sustainably warm.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by temporoad View Post
    these are the ultimate winter riding boot 45NRTH but they are a little pricey.
    Those are wicked looking kicks. If I was riding in temps cold enough to need them though, I'd probably be worried about having ice building up on cleat/pedal interface that might keep me from clipping in anyhow.

sheep in FOX clothing
    With the winter SPD boots, I've never had ice and snow alone prevent clipping in.

However, a combination of snow, mud, and leaves has blocked the clip completely a few times.

Mind you, I've also had platforms with short or average length pins ice up enough to be slippery as well.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast