Gears, beers and slices..

Will the Don be rideable this weekend?

I'm dying to get some singletrack in, and saw quite a few brownish areas of the Don Valley during the drive today...even saw some stretches of singletrack that looked fine.

Think the Don will be rideable this weekend?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Not likely

Either will be still cover with snow or if it melts this weekend , it will be bloody muddy as hell.

Gears, beers and slices..
    Damn - this winter's killing me.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    It won't be ridable for a good 3-4 weeks at this rate unless you want to damage the trails, wait till it's dry and just do some road miles in the meantime to get some riding under your belt. That's what I'm doing, I did two days of trail maintenance in the Don last year so I know what happens to the trails in wet conditions first hand.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Give it 2 more weeks. Now is the time to go ride some urban, work on balance and such.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

Sir Hurt Locker
    hurray for urban

Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I would say no chance at riding there this weekend. If any one has ever ridden there when muddy knows that you don't get more the 15ft before you gotta dig out your chain stay and tires.

urban, and working on balance sounds like it for this weekend.

mtbr member
    Yeha the Don takes forever to dry out. I remember being there last April and about 0.5km in I turned around and left. As poisonfrog said, the mud is stick has heck, and you will have a real hard time going anywhere.You won't enjoy it even if do go so save the trails until some nice dry conditions.

Live Free or Ride!
    I'd give it at least another 2 weeks. Or bring a shovel, or a backhoe. Go terrorize some people on Bay st.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

mtbr member
    You're not the only one looking at the trails every day!!

I'm dyin' to get back in there but I think at least two weeks for sure. We need some warmish weather and strong wind to dry the bulk of it out. There is a thread on dropmachine that reports pretty much daily conditions on the trails, yesterday they said at min two weeks and that's from walking around in there.

mtbr member
    with the rain we got all day Saturday, stuff is wet.

I drove by the trails near Loblaws on Overlea yesterday and things looked wet.

I saw 3 riders who actually didn't look too muddy, but I don't kmnow which of the trails they were on.

The trails by the tracks looked very wet.

Resist temptation everyone and wait until the trails dry out before riding them. We'll all appreciate that later in the year (no ruts).
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

I already rode that
    I rode it before the rain and it wasnt bad but for a few muddy sections with the area after the millwood bridge being very muddy/eroded from ppl riding down that hill in the mud. Last year it was ridable but atm its nasty.

Heading more north along PA and such is bound to be more muddy as that area does take longer to dry out and judging from the few riders I saw that came out of there I didnt bother going in to try it. I didnt have to clean my bike when I got home but I know they sure did!
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

mtbr member
    The ridge was great last week. Should dry out again fairly quick! Some areas like cataylst and such are still a little wet.

mtbr member
    I'll be in there on Thursday afternoon, can't wait

A friend of mine has been in on Sunday and Monday, it's good to go, weeeeeeeee

Slick Rick
    If anyone lives around bloor/spadina and wants to go, give me a shout!

mtbr member
    i rode it yesterday and it was surprisingly dry.

I rode from Pottery Road to the big parking lot by Overlea where they play cricket.

Other than a 50 foot muddy section on The Ridge, it was bone dry.

The other side of the tracks was dry too, but there were some rutted sections (obviously from people riding in the mud).

I'm heading back tomorrow night and/or Saturday afternoon
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    I rode PA, Catalyst then off to some lesser known areas and the conditions were good.

Some of the climbs were a touch soft so the pedal stroke had to be super smooth or you'd start to spin. Quite a few wet spots but not for extended periods, typically ride through the small 3-10" wide water patch then back to dry dirt. I did ride through a section of mud covered woodwork that was interesting.
    The worst stuff I hit was when I came in from North of Eglinton on the trail and in the field after the bridge there were messy spots for sure.

The bike needs a wash but it was soooo worth it

mtbr member
    Did 40km at the Don after work today. Conditions were great. In some of the lower trails leading to the catalyst there were some muddy areas but most of it, especially the ridge trail, was bone dry as described.

Had such a great ride in there tonight. Dying to go back!