mtbr member

Why do people keep their bike racks on all winter ??

I'm sure a small percentage of them use them but to the others , why do you leave
    them on all year ?
    Is it laziness , ignorance
    Are these the same type of people who leave their Christmas lights up all year long
    The majority of the ones I see are trunk mounted .

At the end of the season , I take off my hitch mount rack and the trailer hitch as well .
    It's just 4 bolts and off comes the hitch .
    Salt would kill these over time .

Misfit Psycles
    up until feb of last year my racks never left the roof onna count of i never stopped riding...ergo need is my final answer.

of course in february i lost my bike rack and two bikes as a result of brutally cold weather and highway speeds...oh ya and likely some degeneration of the fastening materials due to exposure 36mnths straight...
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

bi-winning
    I just helped my dad take the roof rack off the truck last week. It never stays on through the winter.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

livin' large
    I don't like keeping the rack on the car unless there is a bike on it. I take mine off after the the bike goes in the house. That being said I use a bones trunk rack that is easy to take off and put on.

I just don't like the noise of a roof rack, and I think they look knda goofy on the car with no bikes on em.

as far as the people who never take'em off, i chalk it up to laziness
    it tied the room together man!

mtbr member
    It's still on my trunk. Because I am still riding twice a week!

President, CEO of Earth
    Did you ever go to a public meeting or hearing and there was some person there trying to represent local cyclists and he was wearing his helmet during the meeting? Well I think it is a similar mentality some people that leave their bike racks on all winter have. It looks silly but they may feel it draws a clear distinction between cyclists and non-cyclists.

Another head-scratcher is people with $500 worth of Thule bike racks and all they carry are two $89 Cdn. tire bikes.
    "Newfoundland dogs are good to save children from drowning, but you must have a pond of water handy" - Josh Billings

I Wanna Be Sedated
    My rack doesn't come off the roof of the wagon in the winter. It gets used 2-4 times/month during the trainer months and I certainly couldn't be bothered to take it off and re-attach when I need it. The rack causes no discernible extra wind noise and doesn't seem to be affected by winter "elements".
    Jouko

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Sometimes I wonder if I should leave my rear hitch rack on so that if I get rear ended from someone braking late in slippery conditions again, it'll be their sorry a$$, not mine.

I wonder what the law/rules are about having a hitch rack on your car with no bike on it.

mtbr member
    ....speaking of helmets .
    What about the person grocery shopping with their helmet still on their
    head ???
    Dude , just put it in the basket , your're scaring me

Avenger of Evil
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy
    ....speaking of helmets .
    What about the person grocery shopping with their helmet still on their
    head ???
    Dude , just put it in the basket , your're scaring me
    Oh Man....Bad visual......
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    The grocery store can be a dangerous place!

mtbr member
    The major reason to leave the rack on the roof is to that you can justify not cleaning the snow off the roof of the vehicle, just too complicated. This is all fine and good, until you snowbomb the poor bastard behind you on the highway.
    BTW I am the poor bastard behind you!

mtbr member
    this is easy!

lazy or cannot accept the winter has arrived.
    BURN IT UP >>>>>>>>PEDALOCTANE>>>>>>>

mtbr member
    Removing the bike rack is a sign of weakness and fair weather....ness muahaha.

There is still great riding to be had in the winter months.

Single speed

Purposely put it on with no bike.

Hey All,
    I put my hitch rack on the car the other day with the intent of not putting a bike on it.

Ya see I was heading up to everyone's favorite single speed dealer/ manufacturer in Bolton. I had to pick some forks from him.
    The quickest and least amount of traffic is on the 407 etr. Which cost $$$$ to use.
    I put the rack on the car because I hope the post from the rack covers the middle letter in my licience plate.
    I will have to wait n see if I get billed for the return trip almost the entire length of the 407.
    But from what I hear if you have a rack on the car the cameras cannot get a clear pic of your plate.
    But I imagine if they can use the combination of a couple cameras they will be able to see the letters on my plate.
    Maybe I need to have a bike on the rack to block the camera view more.

Then there was this one morning when I awoke to the sound of the garbage truck workin' my street. I scrambled out the door to get my trash out. But I missed it by a couple of minutes. The truck was long gone, and I was stuck with a full can of stinky trash.
    In a desperate last move I threw the can between the supports for the top tube on my rack. A quick bungie around the can. Off I went in search of the stinking truck.
    A couple of trips around the neighborhood later and I had found it.

I also use my rack all year long. Just cause there's snow and ice it doesn't mean ya can't ride. It's just harder.
    See ya'll on the trails.

mtbr member
    Haha that is awesome....and the winner for most creative use for a bike rack goes to...

mtbr member
    [quote=McGyver29er]Hey All,
    I put my hitch rack on the car the other day with the intent of not putting a bike on it.

Ya see I was heading up to everyone's favorite single speed dealer/ manufacturer in Bolton. I had to pick some forks from him.

Who's in Bolton............I ride quite a bit at Albion.
    names?
    BURN IT UP >>>>>>>>PEDALOCTANE>>>>>>>