Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Who's doing "Crank the Shield"

I ran into this on the chico racing website. The Crank the Shield 3 day race http://www.chicoracing.com/html/modu...rtid=29&page=1

Looks good in principle, but $1500 for 3 days the transrockies is not much more for over double the amount of racing days!!! I hope this flies, but I hope they bring the price down to something us regular people can afford!!!

mtbr member
    The price is $750 per person. $1500 for a two person team.

Transrockies is running $1850 per person for the 'equivalent' package, except with Crank the Shield your sleeping in a cabin, not in a tent.

Per day of racing, Crank the Shield is coming in cheaper.

Should be a great event. Unfortunately I'm not racing. I would but vacation time, even a day or two is not possible for me in September.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    I'm a regular person and I'm signed up.

mtbr member

Very good value

Quote Originally Posted by was98strat
    I ran into this on the chico racing website. The Crank the Shield 3 day race http://www.chicoracing.com/html/modu...rtid=29&page=1

Looks good in principle, but $1500 for 3 days the transrockies is not much more for over double the amount of racing days!!! I hope this flies, but I hope they bring the price down to something us regular people can afford!!!
    I will be doing this race. I can also attest that through my experience the past several years with Chico events, their will be no shortage of value for that price. I compared the pricing against TR too and there really isn't much to compare. The food they are planning is will be fantastic, along with accomodations mentioned, full technical support, and I am sure the organization of a typical Chico event. Seemless fun racing at a price that is better in many cases than comparable events. Sure it's a lot to dole out at once for one race, but this will be an experience. And you can't put a price tag on this stuff.

Neil
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    I'm signed up as well.
    Looking forward to riding the race.

This is from Adam's latest newletter.

September 19-21, 2008
    Buckwallow - Haliburton Forest

A Legendary 3-Day Mountain Bike Adventure Awaits!

A ground pounding all inclusive 3-day event from Muskoka to Halburton Forest including singletrack, ATV trails, and some of the most challenging terrain the Canadian Shield can hurl at you. Please don't let your opportunity pass you by as we are already 60% sold out! New - Suarez event jerseys included as an added bonus for all participants! The value just keeps getting better and we will have a new website launched Crank The Shield.com in the coming weeks.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    The price is $750 per person. $1500 for a two person team.

Transrockies is running $1850 per person for the 'equivalent' package, except with Crank the Shield your sleeping in a cabin, not in a tent.

Per day of racing, Crank the Shield is coming in cheaper.

Should be a great event. Unfortunately I'm not racing. I would but vacation time, even a day or two is not possible for me in September.

haha good point I somehow missed that!

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    me, i am going to do it. not sure why i want to hurt myself in this fashion, but i will.

Sir Hurt Locker
    That is sooo wicked!!!! I would do it but I am not ready for that right now. If they have it next year though, i'm racing for sure. By racing I mean riding the race, not really trying to win ... lol
    Cheers,

Seb

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    I wonder if RideGuide BikeTV will be covering the Crank The Shield race?

I caught a rerun episode a while ago where they actually cover the LIB! Squeezer.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

More than a little slow
    I'll be there. Half paid already.
    A race a month for me culminating in the Crank...
    Chico's putting it on so it's going to be good.
    And mtbmeister's going to be there so everything will be on film ( how do you say that now that everything is digital?).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dskunk
    I'll be there. Half paid already.
    A race a month for me culminating in the Crank...
    Chico's putting it on so it's going to be good.
    And mtbmeister's going to be there so everything will be on film ( how do you say that now that everything is digital?).
    He may have to get neutral support to carry all the tapes that he'll need. Will you be ordering the 4 hour or 12 hour highlight package?

More than a little slow
    I've got a new TV. 12 hours,man! And then I'll watch it twice so that it makes sense. And twice more to play with the sound.
    The wife won't let me watch "24Solo" any more, so I need another movie.

Singlespeed Mysty
    I was going to do this race... well at least try and finish it ... but I broke my leg in early December when I just started my winter training program in prep for a new race season, BUT I am still in a cast... so by the time I am walking and finally able to train like I wanted to do this winter, it would not be in my best interest to push my injury recovery...

with a broken fibula, ankle and displaced fracture this injury was very painful ... holy muscle loss!!

I also lost my tag team partner as we found out she is with child - so trying to find another partner in my level or stronger will be a task ...

plus, I'm so out of shape from not being allowed to do alot of things while in my cast ... I've never broken anything before and don't want to push it this year... another injury will put me in the looney bin!!!

I aim to do Crank the Shield next year - I hope Chico decides to do it!!

Maybe I can be a cheerleader for Noggy and the Misfit boyz
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Student
    Its a great thing, I wish I could afford it, I'd do it. At least try to do it. haha
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    He may have to get neutral support to carry all the tapes that he'll need. Will you be ordering the 4 hour or 12 hour highlight package?
    Ah, that's funny...I'll be using new equipment that doesn't require tapes. Hopefully with front and rear facing cams too!

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Ah, that's funny...I'll be using new equipment that doesn't require tapes. Hopefully with front and rear facing cams too!
    Holy upgrade Batman!
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

sock puppet

hello, i am new to this forum...

what is this Crank the Shield race and can i do it on my cross bike... thanks for your time

Quote Originally Posted by was98strat

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Holy upgrade Batman!
    Sort of...New technology that won't weigh as much...Not cheap, but should be very good eye candy on the screen. As long as I am still passing some people.

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    what is this Crank the Shield race and can i do it on my cross bike... thanks for your time
    Nope.....I think the requirement is for single-speeds running road tires.....or track bikes, whatever you fancy. I hear there will be lots of ATV roads......whatever that is. Could need a suspension seatpost, as the roads may be rough.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

sock puppet

skunky is racing, i hear

Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Sort of...New technology that won't weigh as much...Not cheap, but should be very good eye candy on the screen. As long as I am still passing some people.
    you will not be the last... oh humanity...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1mystk
    I was going to do this race... well at least try and finish it ... but I broke my leg in early December when I just started my winter training program in prep for a new race season, BUT I am still in a cast... so by the time I am walking and finally able to train like I wanted to do this winter, it would not be in my best interest to push my injury recovery...

with a broken fibula, ankle and displaced fracture this injury was very painful ... holy muscle loss!!

sorry to hear, breaking leg bones really sucks, i've had my right femur broken twice, not fun. just take it easy for now and when the cast comes off give recovery/physio a 100 percent effort and you'll be back riding in time for the nice weather and regain the muscle you lost. p.s. it smells funny when they take the cast off

that being said, i'm registered for the race, hopefully i'll have something other than my hardtail to do it on.

Singlespeed Mysty
    Quote Originally Posted by robbbby
    sorry to hear, breaking leg bones really sucks, i've had my right femur broken twice, not fun. just take it easy for now and when the cast comes off give recovery/physio a 100 percent effort and you'll be back riding in time for the nice weather and regain the muscle you lost. p.s. it smells funny when they take the cast off

that being said, i'm registered for the race, hopefully i'll have something other than my hardtail to do it on.
    I was told by the physiotherapist not to be a hero... she told me to take it easy...

fiberglass cast came off, and now I am in a walking cast... now learning how to walk again... I am allowed on the trainer, but can't pedal too hard and only on the easier gears...

pool therapy is great... who would ever thought exercising in the water is so exhausting!

smells funny? I didn't remember that part... I was too worried about the good looking cast tech removing the cast and catching a glimpse at my hairy leg!

Good luck to everyone on this race... I will just wait till the next year...
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I'm signed up for the race, and I'm really excited about it too. I've been looking into doing a stage race for a couple of years now, and this one should be a perfect introduction. I think the most appealing thing about this race is that I can drive to it (I live in northern Michigan). The other races I was considering all would have involved a flight and all the ensuing hassles associated with it. See you there.

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    you will not be the last... oh humanity...

You're not doing this one Oggie? You headin' back to La Ruta?
    That picture of you from the Don was not pretty, well I mean I didn't expect it to be, but......
    All this talk of broken bones, Oggie and Misty, almost makes me feel like taking up something safe like lawn bowling. I could be competitive at that.

So, was98, it's gonna be a good time and it's cheaper than you thought, are you going to join in?
    Cheers, Dave

More than a little slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Gurney
    The other races I was considering all would have involved a flight and all the ensuing hassles associated with it. See you there.
    I see you're going to Cohutta too. Me too. See ya there.
    Cheers, Dave

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast