Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Living Life Behind Bars..

Who put's the " night riding not allowed " flyers @ Durham ?

It is my understanding that night riding is permitted at Durham so I am not sure why the flyers stating your not allowed to night ride at Walker Property are being put on our cars while we are in a different forest tract ?

Who does this anyway TCRA or ______________ ?

mtbr member
    This effort is being undertaken by a local TRCA employee. Naturally it does not apply to riding at Durham Forest, but it is widely known that people will start there and cross the road to Walkers Woods and Glen Major.

This is nothing surprising. We've talked about this before, on this forum and in other mailing lists. If you'd like to find out a bit more check the DMBA website in the next couple of days. I'm posting up details there. I would have done it already, but I've been otherwise occupied and didn't have time to post things up yet.
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

Not everyone rides @ Walker at night either so I am not sure of the point but is this endorsed by TRCA ?

The wording is a bit harsh ( Tresspassing, Privelage you never had etc. ) My suggestion would be to post something at the entrance points to Walker and leave people's cars alone ?

The TRCA should know that there is / are a very responsible mtb user group up there. Not everyone is paintable with the same brush. I get a little testy when it comes to this type of campaign because this is how it started at the Rouge several years ago and ended up with the air being consistently let out of tires that where on cars with bike racks ( wether you where biking or not )

On a side note if anyone is in the GTA ( Danforth area that wants a car ride to Durham Tues / Thurs ) PM me. no charge if you can get to my house at the start this way we can use the HOV lanes which is mint and very quick.

mtbr member
    This is an effort of the TRCA. So you could say they "endorse" it. The point is so that you are aware of the ban in Walker Woods & Glen Major.

The wording is strong on purpose. They didn't want to leave any doubt in anyone's mind that they are serious about this. There are signs at the trail heads, but many people who use the trails don't check the trial head before they ride. Hence this idea to put them on windshields.

This is the communication phase, if people respect the ban then the TRCA won't have to take the next step and actively enforce it.

I don't think it will get to the point of air being let out of tires. If it does then the GMWW stewardship committee will have to deal with that.

Please don't shoot the messenger here. I don't like this ban any more than you do. In fact a letter was sent to the TRCA by the DMBA with suggestion on how to work together to avoid a ban. I have not seen the response yet (I'm told there is one) but it goes without saying that they didn't like any of those ideas since a ban is being put in place.
    Jason Murray

mtbr member
    Why is night riding not allowed? Perhaps if they explained why people might be inclined to not get upset and respect it more.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    I would rather see signs up @ the access points.

Nothing gets my back up more than to walk up to my car or truck & see something under the w/s wiper. All it takes is a moron w/ a belt buckle leaning over scratching the paint.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rear Admiral
    Perhaps if they explained why people might be inclined to not get upset and respect it more.
    Did you go to the DMBA site and read the flier? That is admittedly sparse on details. More detailed communication will be released and when it is I'll post it up. Stay tuned.
    Jason Murray

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Disclaimers:
    1. I suspect that the vast majority on the TRCA have nothing against us, and I know that the DMBA does everything in it's power to defend our interests, so no one should take offense who doesn't deserve to.
    2. For some reasons, this rant is pun-riddled. Sorry, they weren't all intentional.

I read the flyer. They anticipated the FAQs quite well, and the answers all sound very reasonable, however the nagging feeling that I'm sure many have in reading it, is that it's specifically an attack on mountain biking (who else really was in there at night), probably pushed through by so-called stewards who have a Pulaski to grind against us. I wonder if I'm the only one who has that slippery slope feeling about the TRCA and mountain biking:

Fred's Farm, Walker's Wood's race series (first approved, then denied just before it was to begin), Durham Durango no longer allowed in Walker's Woods or Glen Major, ban on night riding (oh, okay...ban on all night activites now being enforced, sorry). There's no doubt in my mind that there are some who would be overjoyed to have a complete ban on mountain biking in there (and everywhere else) and I suspect that at least one of these "sqeaky wheels"-ooh what an ironic metaphor- is actively waging a step by step campaign to do just that. Or maybe I'm just paranoid.

Here's a FAQ I'd like to see answered.

Since much of the night-riding takes place in the fall and is typically done by 9:00 or 10:00 (when there is still light in June and July), isn't there some room for compromise? Wouldn't a partial ban be reasonable? How about night riding only Mon-Thurs with an 11:00 P.M. curfew or something like that? That does leave 8+ hours of darkness. Or even designating just 1-2 days/week that it is allowed? What's that you say? Squirrels don't know what day it is? Yes, but they manage to survive in downtown Toronto, I'm sure they can put up with a couple of dozen mountain bikers riding for 4-6 out of the approximately 84 hours of November darkness spread out over 100s of hectares. Yup, that's my question. (and yes, I know it's not just the squirrels)

Something else I found on the DMBA website:

Postponed: Our president recently had a bad cycling accident and this has forced us to postpone our AGM until he has recovered enough to attend. Sorry for the inconvenience. We'll post details at a later date.

Are you okay Jason?

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The TRCA also has ban on unleashed dogs in Walkers Woods and Glen Major but does not go around putting flyers on cars or doing any enforcement what so ever.
    Last edited by icy; 11-12-2007 at 08:50 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jmurray
    Did you go to the DMBA site and read the flier? That is admittedly sparse on details. More detailed communication will be released and when it is I'll post it up. Stay tuned.
    Good point. Just read the flyer. The points make sense, though I don't really buy the flora and fauna bit 100% - animals are tougher and more adaptable then we'd like to give them credit for.

My suspicions are the reasons fall in roughly this order (a) local property owners annoyed with lights & noise (b) insurance (c) drinking, partying and fires and (d) flora & fauna. I might be wrong though, and this is not to say that these aren't legit concerns.

Does anyone know the fauna in specific they are concerned about? I find this fascinating. I mean if we have deer, foxes and coyotes in the Don I wonder what y'all have there

you know whats the saddest part of all of this ......

mountian bikers are going to get the short end of the stick and it's our own fault.

Last week I was in durham night riding and I was coming out of the trail at the top by the radio tower then heading back in to the start area of the thurs night races and we stopped as we saw a train of lights in walker coming down towards the gate / parking lot. There where 8 guys riding with nice bright HID lights. Isn't there enough trail to ride at Durham without pushing the envelope whether we agree with the ban or not ? ( not one of these guys where under 40 )

Flash back to 3 weeks ago 2 guys are there at around 4 p.m. in the main Durham lot and they have a bunch of kids with them ranging I guess from about 10 to 15 it had rained pretty hard during our ride and we where leaving when these kids decided to have a skidding contest. This seems pretty trivial but all it does is play into the stereo type that mountain bikers trash trails especially when the lot was full with not only bikers but hikers and equestrians. This is not a issue that lies soley with the kids as I see loooong skid marks all over the trails on a regular basis.

I said it before and I will say it again we have it pretty good here compared to ther areas I have travelled to that have bans in place and we need to protect it. We have to educate users on trail ettiquette not only for non bikers but other bikers as the trails in this area are all non-directional.

There has not been a race in Durham for a while now any reason why we have power gel wrappers in the woods ? It does not matter if it is caused by trail runners or trail bikers but why can't you pack out what you bring in ?

There is a small group that do a lot of advocacy work on our behalf and I for one have not done enough given the amount I use this trail system and I just want to thank Jason and others for stepping up.

Just try and imagine for all of us who are regualrs up here where would we go if we had no walker and durham forests ? we have no dagmar, no rouge, no seaton do you think ravenshoe can handle the volume ? so it would be the ganny or we travel west to kelso or albion ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Alrightey then. Flora and fauna they say? As an ordinary taxpayer having a passing familiarity with biology, am I to believe that Calvin cycle of the flora gets *&($&#ed up by HID lights?!?! Otherwise, I'd say that the careless use of the phrase "flora and fauna" reveals this isn't about the "flora and fauna" at all. Once again it's a political statement. If I'm really expected to believe such a claim, why then I guess I should voluntarily stop riding in the Carolinian forest of the Don valley at night, since it's also being managed by the TRCA with an environment-first approach.

Other reasons concern the safety of night users, the possible impact on the insurance rates for liability, the reduction of stress on trails and the fact that inappropriate activities such as campfires and drinking may occur (which are more likely to occur at night and when there are fewer users to observe these activities).
    Hmm, guess that also applies to the Don valley if you think about it. If this is not just local Durham politics, then the TRCA should announce the same policy for the Don valley.

mtbr member
    I bet we could find out exactly how much politics has to do with this... by riding with *passive* night-vision goggles on. We'd be adding ZERO light to the night environment!

mtbr member
    Only a small answer.

First. I broke my neck in two places this past Saturday (C7 & T3). I'm not paralyzed and have full mobility and sensation. But I am very lucky.

Second. The DMBA sent a letter to the TRCA with many suggestions, all geared towards avoiding a ban. I have yet to see a response to that letter, but I'm told we will have one. It will be posted when I get it.

Third. You are being paranoid. There is no organized "anti-MTB" force against us. What is working against us is that others who don't want us using the land are organized and we are not. (Some of those groups don't want people on the land period!) This is why the DMBA (and later TORBG) was formed so that we'd have a voice. But don't expect to just show up and have our voice count for as much as the other groups that have been partners and stakeholders for 10-20 years. Also expect to take further losses before things turn around.
    Jason Murray

mtbr member
    First. I broke my neck in two places this past Saturday (C7 & T3). I'm not paralyzed and have full mobility and sensation. But I am very lucky
    Well yeah, no s--t you're lucky, you might not even be here writing this! Thank god your OK

Was it bike related - you weren't night riding at Durham were ya?

Looking for Adventure
    Third. You are being paranoid. There is no organized "anti-MTB" force against us. What is working against us is that others who don't want us using the land are organized and we are not. (Some of those groups don't want people on the land period!) This is why the DMBA (and later TORBG) was formed so that we'd have a voice. But don't expect to just show up and have our voice count for as much as the other groups that have been partners and stakeholders for 10-20 years. Also expect to take further losses before things turn around.
    FYI

There has been local involvement in the future planning of Centennial Park near Etobicoke Creek on the border of Mississauga and Etobicoke. You may know that mountain bikers, and kids on bikes, frequent the creek valley trails. Many local residents had this confused notion that mountain bikers drink at night, light fires, and grow drugs in the Creek valley, and didn't want a paved trail connecting the creek to Centennial Park. What these people fail to understand is the difference between "kids/teens on bikes" and "mountain bikers". And that is the image we are fighting, over and over again. Makes you wonder about the average intelligence of people these days.

Oh, and they didn't want cyclocross events happening on Centennial Hill.......too much damage to the environment. But they failed to take into account that the hill is built with raw garbage from the 70's, and it is an active ski hill in the winter........duh.

Don't worry about the stakeholders.......they will be dead or too frail in a decade or two......if you can wait that long .

PS Don't bomb downhills like a crazy kid on a bike Jason!
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

some kind of hero...
    Only a small answer.

First. I broke my neck in two places this past Saturday (C7 & T3). I'm not paralyzed and have full mobility and sensation. But I am very lucky.

clip...
    That is really scary ! I hope you're on the mend and back to 100% soon

Best wishes...
    GEVELTERSCHMIDT RACING

Looking for Adventure
    Oh and don't forget that the mayor of Pickering somehow managed to build his dream house at the southwest end of Walker Woods. What were the stakeholders doing to make this happen????
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Only a small answer.

That must have been scary. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Second. The DMBA sent a letter to the TRCA with many suggestions, all geared towards avoiding a ban. I have yet to see a response to that letter, but I'm told we will have one. It will be posted when I get it.
    Thanks.

That's good to hear. Although I suppose I could still be paranoid that "(Some of those groups don't want people on the land period!)". The "expect further losses" also sounds ominous.

Again, it needs to be repeated that those of us who's main contribution to the "cause" is whiny, pun-riddled rants on the Internet really do appreciate the DMBA and your contribution in particular.

Singlespeed Mysty

lucky indeed...

Only a small answer.

I took a horrible crash in Walkers Woods about 2 weeks before the Fall 8 hour race ... I was lucky too, as the crew I was with thought I broke my arm... I did however bruise it and lose some mobility for a few days... I still managed to suffer my way through the race tho...

there is a trail in there now closed off (due to erosion) and a new trail built. the
    trail closed is the one I fell and injured myself on...when you come out of Snakes/Ladders you would go straight and then turn left, climb a rooty hill. my friend tells me you don't turn left any longer, you just go straight... she said it was alot of fun...
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Oh and don't forget that the mayor of Pickering somehow managed to build his dream house at the southwest end of Walker Woods. What were the stakeholders doing to make this happen????
    holding hands and singing Cumbaya?

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 1mystk
    I took a horrible crash in Walkers Woods about 2 weeks before the Fall 8 hour race ... I was lucky too, as the crew I was with thought I broke my arm... I did however bruise it and lose some mobility for a few days... I still managed to suffer my way through the race tho...

there is a trail in there now closed off (due to erosion) and a new trail built. the
    trail closed is the one I fell and injured myself on...when you come out of Snakes/Ladders you would go straight and then turn left, climb a rooty hill. my friend tells me you don't turn left any longer, you just go straight... she said it was alot of fun...
    Ironically, the building of the new trail you described was supervised by Jason last month.

mtbr member
    So I just read the flyer and I'm thinking that the liability concerns maybe more prevalent of an issue. in the first FAQ they state that the other parks that allow night riding have Staff on hand, and large wide tracks to access the trails, then subtly throw in a mention of insurance further down.

I'll have to agree there are probably a few people who would prefer no bikes at all but the concerns of Liability, Drinking, and Impacton the Forest are ways to convince the others who manage the forest. In al honestly 20 or so riders in a forest that size for a couple of hours between say 7 and 10 really don't make much of a difference vs the regular approved usage.

Singlespeed Mysty
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2
    Ironically, the building of the new trail you described was supervised by Jason last month.

ironic indeed...

I can't wait to ride out there again... been awhile now... time to go and take in some fresh trails ...
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

mtbr member

More details on the DMBA website.

More details on the night riding ban have been posted at the DMBA web site.

Please save your anger and frustration for the upcoming meeting with TRCA and GMWW Stewardship committee members. Details TBD.

Now back to the recliner.
    Jason Murray

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast