mtbr member

Where in the world is CarmenSydor?

Trying to create a fun little thread.

Been spending a lot of time racing this year. Unfortunately the Canada Cup and Nationals didn't go all that well. The stars just didn't seem to align and I felt 'flat' at both of them (AKA I got my arse handed to me).

Luckily a little vacation was schedule for right afterwards. No training, just having fun riding in various spots over the period of a couple weeks.

Two days before leaving, I went to ride my race bike and primary MTB (only other one is the fatbike, there was a serious purge this winter). Some seals in the fork were shot. After a few frantic calls I realized there was no luck getting it fixed last minute. Left me in a pickle for my trip. Do I ride the fork as is? Or acquire another ride (a 5-6ish trail bike has been in the back of my mind).

The stars seemed to have aligned and after selling my Yeti to a trusted friend over the winter to get him back on an MTB, he found he wasn't riding it. As per the gentleman's agreement, I had first dibs on a re-acquire. This worked out perfect, I only really let the bike go as it was a friend looking for a bike. And while it wasn't the 'trail' bike I really had my eyes on, it was my baby. A frantic Thursday night and the Yeti was back getting retro-fitted how I like it.

Here she is. You might remember her from such adventures as 'An Ontario Boy's Journey to Whistler'. The boys at 9point8 came through last second with their new dropper post for me to test out. So far, pretty handy I must say, even for a spandex wearing roadie like myself!

So the purpose of this thread? I'm gonna post a photo or video of where I am riding over the course of this trip (and It's gonna be pretty variant). First person to guess the spot (and trail?) will win a big can of awesome!

GO!!!

mtbr member
    Looks like Kamakazee in the WCC Trail .

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    No...too long...looks like Kingdom trails in East Burke Vermont...

All my faucets is Moen.

Re: Where in the world is CarmenSydor?

I guess if someone followed you on Strava this would be an easy game to play.

mtbr member
    waterdown
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    I guess if someone followed you on Strava this would be an easy game to play.
    Ssshhhhhh

mtbr member

Day Two

Kingdom Trails it was. Sidewinder. My first time there. Enjoyed myself.

That should make day two a little easier, but lets see if it can get nailed down. Strava cheats, how can you live with yourself?

Wheres I at?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Where in the world is CarmenSydor?-img510.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I don't see you in here at all...I say you are behind the camera...

mtbr member
    swimming in water
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Bon Echo...and did you see Walt Whitman's words on that rock face on the right?

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    looks a bit like Lechworth State Park
    letchworth state park pictures - Google Search

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    "Strava cheats, how can you live with yourself?"

Is Srava cheating...or is it just a tool?? Hmmmm...

mtbr member
    So the last photo was taken at the Millstone trails.

Millstone Trails Association

About 1:15 hr from Kingdom Trails. Not sure if many people know about it, but it's another great riding spot in the area. It based around old granite quarries, which are themselves interesting, but they also have plaques describing the history, very cool to read. Best of all, the trail center had a nice lady, who, while I am judging a little, I would guess had never mountain biked before, gave a great description of the trails, inclusive of the phrease 'that one has great flow'. What I liked the most was they have gone about and designed a 15 mile loop that highlights the area's riding. Just follow the red/orange arrows. Overall the riding was much more technical than Kingdom (rocky). A good variance.

Today was a ride on the road bike. But there was exploration of many dirt roads much like this

To vies like this

And this was the destination

Met this guy who was scootering on backroads from Alabama (I am far from Alabama). Great set up!

Wonder if it pedals like a deer?

mtbr member
    Rode a couple days ago. New place for me.

Started with a nice view like this.

Lots of mossy, slow, technical trail (sorry about the pic quality, had my camera in a ziplock for some shots)

But also a little faster stuff near the reservoir

Just to prove I was there

Today I rode a trail system I hadn't been on in 7 years. Nostalgic and awesome. Lots of open rock and super technical singletrack. Porcupine Ridge is the closest comparison in Ontario. The Yeti got a work out.

Entering the trail system. The waft of blueberries and burger king was in the air.

Lots of great technical ups and downs like this. The pic doesn't do it justice, but its steep, requiring rock ledges to be ascended and body englishing the bike through the best line. Lots of power, balance needed (rear suspension and good tires help a lot too!).

Came out to a power line, felt like I was at Crank the Shield.

Some technical wooded trail. I rode 8 km in about 1.5 hours. You work for every inch of trail. Big rings need not apply.

And more

About 3/5 of the way through the ride, this was the view. A swim was tempting!

And a nice little steep rock face, followed by a rocky entrance to a bridge. Fun!

Time to get back on the road and few days off the bike.