rad to the power of sick

Where to Buy XC skate Skis in the GTA??

hey all, im looking at picking up some XC skate gear. I need to find something outdoors to do in the winter!

I am an absolute beginner, and have little money to spend. Im looking for a complete package that will get me started and I havent a clue where to start looking.

Some pointers as to what shops to check out would be fantastic. Again, cheap is the goal.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Well you probably missed all the ski swaps by now. Skate skis are not as picky compare to classic skis, where your weight plays a bigger role. You can get away with a medium flex for you weight for that ski company. Probably look at a used pair. Oh, two types of bindings. NNN versus Salomon profil and active. You need a NNN boot (or Profil) to go with a NNN binding. My advice, go with Profil, seems to be more companies offer boots for them (?). SO, get some used skis and poles and find a boot that will fit your binding. I ski up here at Naughton ski trails, I think you come through Sudbury now and again.

icy
    mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Silent Sports has a good selection www.silentsports.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Have you thought about getting some snow shoes? It will be cheaper then cross country ski package and you can get a damn good work out if you want to. Just throwing that out there is money is a concern. You should be able to get poles/snowshoes for 100-200 bucks and you really don't need anything else as they will work with regular winter boots.

banned
    Why not ride a bike?

Looking for Adventure
    I am big into XC skiing, as you may have noticed, and I do a few races.

If you want cheap, recreational, and good advice, go to Mountain Equipment Co-op.

If you want quality, performance equipment priced at good value, go to www.velotique.com. They are near the Beaches in Toronto, and only do XC equipment in the winter (and biking accessories in the summer).

Silent Sports can be good too, but they have done less in XC equipment in recent years.

Be prepared for some snot flowing workouts on your skate skis. Good cross training for those biking legs! Oh, and take some lessons. Skate skiing requires a lot of coordination and perfect weight transfers to feel like you are going somewhere.....not as easy as snowshoeing.

Enjoy!
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    I started patrolling Nordic this year and just bought a new set of skis,

Price/Service Combo I'll second Mec
    I'd suggest a pair of this Great buy for a recreational ski. (I just bought the Terrasonic which you can also get from Mec for an extra 100 bucks)

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1198073908736

Add in Boots Poles and Bindings and you should come in under $500 no problem. (About as cheap as you'll get new.) I'm not sure where to go for used stuff.

Other option is where you might pay an 5 to 10% is a pro shop at a resort, I ski at Highlands Nordic mostly and I must say the service, knowledge and staff ar top notch.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    If you are new to skiing then ill second the lesson part, or get a video from http://www.xczone.com its pretty hard to get right (Im trying but dont have it). I also snowshoe, not the running stuff, and Ill say that skate skiing kills it in terms of cardio. I thought I was pretty good shape for my first time skate skiing (also didnt pace myself) and totally blew up within 10 minutes.

max_29
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    hey all, im looking at picking up some XC skate gear. I need to find something outdoors to do in the winter!

I am an absolute beginner, and have little money to spend. Im looking for a complete package that will get me started and I havent a clue where to start looking.

Some pointers as to what shops to check out would be fantastic. Again, cheap is the goal.
    if you're an absolute beginner, why don't you try to get a used gear and see if this kind of activity fits you before spending $$$.
    you can try http://toronto.kijiji.ca - there's plenty of private sales.

rad to the power of sick
    hmmm.. used seems to be the way to go, as 500$ is more than expected.

In terms of lessons, i have two good buddies who are varsity level XC skiiers, i figure Ill give them bike tune ups in exchange for a few lessons.

Thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by north_of_us
    I ski up here at Naughton ski trails, I think you come through Sudbury now and again.
    I just got a membership for my wife and I at Naughton. I decided to try xc skiing to keep in shape over the winter and so far I really enjoy it. I only have classic skis right now, which I bought so that I can go with the wife and maybe take the baby out with us in the ski pulk, which is only $5 rental. I would definitely like to try skate skiing, though.

Last night I slapped my Dinotte LED light on my helmet and did a quick lap of the trails at LU. Great fun skiing in the dark!

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    In terms of lessons, i have two good buddies who are varsity level XC skiiers
    Yikes! Varsity level skiers! May you rest in peace(s)......
    Just make sure you look away when they ski effortlessly up big hills.

Once you nail the technique (and fitness), you will be going almost as fast as on your mountain bike.......mmmmmm, flying on snow.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way