Team NFI
    Mar 2007

When Is It To Cold To Race

This article was posted Cycling News on extreme cold and racer safety. Specifically extreme cold conditions as experienced at a race in Oregon earlier in December.

When Is It Too Cold To Race Cyclo-cross? | Cyclingnews.com

Chapter 1, section .058 of the UCI Cyclo-cross rulebook states that the president of the commissaries panel, after consulting with the UCI technical delegate and the organizer, may [emphasis added] cancel the event in case of “difficult weather conditions” such as strong winds, heavy snowfall or temperatures below 5 Fahrenheit (-15 C).
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    This article was posted Cycling News on extreme cold and racer safety. Specifically extreme cold conditions as experienced at a race in Oregon earlier in December.

When Is It Too Cold To Race Cyclo-cross? | Cyclingnews.com
    "About half a dozen competitors in the elite men's race eventually reported cases of nerve damage or frostbite on their fingers and toes, and one unfortunate rider reportedly suffered frostbite on his penis."

screw that race!
    Signature

McB
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    "About half a dozen competitors in the elite men's race eventually reported cases of nerve damage or frostbite on their fingers and toes, and one unfortunate rider reportedly suffered frostbite on his penis."

screw that race!
    I think that screwing would be completely out of the question if you raced that event.
    Rider Up,

Mike McB

"Over Thinking, Over Analyzing, Seperates the Mind from the Body" - Tool

sheep in FOX clothing
    I don't wanna sound too harsh here, but I think I gotta go with Johnson on this one...you gotta dress for the weather, and it shouldn't have even been that hard.... I'm astonished that anyone got clinical frostbite in 60 minutes at minus 16C... especially at the exertion level of a cross race?

I think XC skiing guys would be unzipping jackets to cool off in a race that short and intense at that temperature.

Of course, my credibility may be suspect, as for the second winter in a row, I am sitting here with itchy little frost blisters on both of my feet right now.