Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

what is your riding plan for winter. any plan!

12K views 142 replies 45 participants last post by  osokolo 
#1 · (Edited)
you may include:
- your winter bike, or your ONLY bike, that you will ride in the winter too
- your winter riding trail. if it is Coppeland - don't say it. it is a secret.
- racing cyclocross? which one - post experience
- secret training with frequent phone calls to dr. ferrari - talk to us - we are your family...
- planning on just watching hockey? well, sorry. there is NO hockey for you this winter. i think
- trainer? what you got? what are you watching while mitigating pain from rear end blisters?
- cross training? xc skiing? it's ok. we still like and accept you.
- core training - share experience/benefits/experiments...
- injured? anything to share on your healing process...
- building a new rig for next riding season? confess.
- got a great deal on bike components - let us know...

rules:

- Enduramil - limited to ONLY 1 post per day. in case it is not clear, that means one post per day.
- Monsters - it is OK to invite us to your Christie Lake and guide us around
- Biggie - no Lance worshipping in this thread. OK, maybe once per week
- Circlip - *** **** * ** **** ** ***** (legal counsel advice)
- Unglued - must be on weight watchers program in order to post now that he is ripped to oblivion. Lapdogs extending your contract?
- Arek - i'll get back to you on this
- twenty6black - no beer over winter or else
- nogearshere - noggs for the inner cult circle - you still have account with intrawebs?
- smarty - limited only to armchair smart arse laywers comments. mostly
- Captain - must get married again. why would you be any better than the rest of us.
- mtbmeister - take off the final Ocup podium life size poster from your bedroom wall. bathroom poster is ok.
- Louda - pictures welcome
- BCD - more pictures
- rkj_ - you still alive?
- tommy - preparing for Paris to Ancaster already?
- Phat TIred - come back in style
- Trail Ninja - this dude kicked cancer's ass... now he is looking for whomever sent it, all while he is reaching 50 miles of his own built trails... any questions?

there is more, but there ain't time to list it all... keep it fun folks... and keep it running...

See less See more
#2 ·
All joking aside, my winter plan is to lose another 10-15lb. I am at 184 right now and would like to be 175 And you know what? It is through Weight Watchers. And it works.

I will also be starting crossfit, commuting from Oakville to Toronto when the weather permits, and logging a lot of trainer time doing Sufferfests. I also have a couple of Big 6 DVD's I can watch for the first time for the sake of some irony. The question is whether, now Lance has been stripped of his Big 6, the DVD will just show an empty mountain road...

And yes, I will be putting forth the idea of another MTBR xmas/new years ride for those of you wanting to hit the trails.

#3 ·
I'm going to say this once and once only. *** **** * ** **** ** *****. Count on it.

As for activities, I have debated the merits of going full-time as a keyboard jockey and skipping the actual riding part. However, in the end I will probably ride some trails, ride some road, (gasp!) run some trails, run some road, and pursue my lifelong ambition to dominate the sport of Racketlon. EDIT: forgot to also throw in a smattering of XC skiing.

#4 ·
I'm going to say this once and once only. *** **** * ** **** ** *****. Count on it.

As for activities, I have debated the merits of going full-time as a keyboard jockey and skipping the actual riding part. However, in the end I will probably ride some trails, ride some road, (gasp!) run some trails, run some road, and pursue my lifelong ambition to dominate the sport of Racketlon.
RacketWHAT?

i know i can google it, but care to elaborate? is it played in spandex? top mandatory?

#9 ·
Once the salt hits the roads, I'll be limiting my outdoor riding to my new carbon hardtail. I'll try to get out every Saturday and Sunday since that's the only time I'm able to ride in daylight, and the odd weekday night ride. I'll throw the studs on when it gets icy enough, probably January. I'll get up to Joyride with the ShortFuse a bunch of times. If we get a warm spell and the trails turn to mush and the roads get washed, the road bike might see daylight, or the jump bike used to do a little hacking around town.

If i get desperate, I may put the road bike on the trainer, but I don't wanna.

My main goal is to not fall through ice chest deep into a river with nobody around.

#11 ·
Singletrack, every Sat and Sunday all winter long!:thumbsup:

Durham Forest, Walkers Woods, etc. until the snow gets too deep.

Then Ravenshoe and Hilton Falls depending on the weather and how far I want to drive. Both Ravenshoe and Hilton Falls get enough traffic to pack the trails down throughout the winter.

Honestly, I don't see any reason to stop riding in the winter. I love breaking trail through freshly fallen snow (as long as it's not more than 6" deep and not too heavy (wet).:D

i1dry?

#14 ·
Well Snowggie, since you asked,

I am stoked about my fall->winter->spring cycling plans. I even foresee a return to the P2A after a 2 year, poverty induced, hiatus.

I just got hired at a place that does the 12 hour coninental shifts. That means every 14 days you work 7 - 12 hour shifts. As my kids are in school and Wifester works semi-fulltime, my days should be free to ride ( and vacuum, do dishes, laundry, blah, blah, blah). The remuneration is also palatable, so everyone here should be eating and playing hockey in quality gear.

However, my Wife has me on a bike purchasing moratorium. SO I'll have to struggle with only my Misfit Fe, On-One Inbred 29, On-One 456, Jamis Exile SS and RM Vertex...
Yes, you read correctly, I have no cx bike and my road bike is a 1988! Sucks to be me, eh?

I think the vertex will be my winter weapon of choice.

I had a physical for the new job and my weight estimate was low. I weigh 242 and guessed 230. ;(

However, I feel I can still bench a full set of 1 Unglued(or the unit of mass he represents at gravity being 9.81 m/s^2 on this date in the year of our Lord, 2012)

Anyway, I hope to return to my drug free finest and swear I'll never roll over on any of my fellow mtbr'ers, no matter your indiscretions.

Hey Unglued, tell us the truth, did you join Weight Watchers because Jessica Simpson is the spokesperson?:D

Reactions: osokolo
#15 · (Edited)
Finish the Team NFI work shop

Avoid turbo trainers as much as possible.

Begin process of significant career change.

Maybe a new bike....have heard a rumour.

Will ride either bike in winter depending on mood or conditions.

Recall where that Kettball got put during the move and start doing it again. And on the weekend pull the tire pull kit out of the mother in laws for the back yard.

Maybe actually start running... Though since I will be moving up to the old timers division in a couple of weeks. Maybe it's time for a racing come back ala Dave Scott.:D

Hope it snows so the back country XC skies get use instead of collecting dust. Have a couple of spots I want to explore.

Oh.. and Oggie. You recall I'm Scots right? How did that rule setting work out fer the English?

Edit,

Thanks to the quick night ride and scaring the crap out of a Coyote... I will will try not to mow down any wildlife on winter night rides.

#16 ·
Beyond marrying Oggie and challenging Circlip to the world championship of Racketlon, pretty low key winter.

I am currently rehabilitating a couple nagging injuries, but once the winter proper rolls around, I hope to be outdoor riding a couple times a week (mix of MTB and road).

Beyond that, I am looking at ways to acquire a FS 29er that is under 23lbs for my 2013 race bike.

Non bike related. Maybe some competitive squash, along with indoor rock climbing as cross training.

#19 ·
challenging Circlip to the world championship of Racketlon
I accept your challenge, but only after you return from your honeymoon with Oggie. We can even work in a points system from a mountain biking stage to keep it bike related. Or we could go collaborative and compete in racketlon doubles. I participated in a doubles racketlon tournament a few weeks ago - kinda fun. There's even have a racketlon doubles world championship. ;) (packed an entire soccer stadium with spectators this year from what I understand. OK, not really)

since I will be moving up to the old timers division in a couple of weeks.
Out of junior finally? Congratz.

I started to run again last month 3x week... run like I'm being chased by wild wolves. sometimes I pretend it's Osokolo.
Any motivation to stay ahead of gratuitous ass-slapping sounds helpful.

#17 ·
I'm sure there'll be some winter riding to do but what I want to do more than anything this winter is use my pristine 1 year-old snow shoes at Christie Lake. :)

We got them for Xmas last year and there they sat all last season! :madman:

#18 ·
I started to run again last month 3x week... run like I'm being chased by wild wolves. sometimes I pretend it's Osokolo. Running will be good for those days when I'm short on time or traveling for work.

XC skiing on Saturdays for Ski Patrol at Horseshoe/Hardwood so come up and join me anytime!

Just switched to my winter bike - Misfit SS belt drive - and likely ride mostly Hilton, Palgrave till the trail bunny boys pansy out - for skills/fun. Will try to get out to any trails really!
Trainer rides for intensity. Will also ride cross bike out more if it's not disgustingly windy or blustery out.

Unglued, that holiday ride was a blast last year... looking forward to it again!

#22 ·
you may include:
- your winter bike, or your ONLY bike, that you will ride in the winter too
- your winter riding trail. if it is Coppeland - don't say it. it is a secret.
- racing cyclocross? which one - post experience
- secret training with frequent phone calls to dr. ferrari - talk to us - we are your family...
- planning on just watching hockey? well, sorry. there is NO hockey for you this winter. i think
- trainer? what you got? what are you watching while mitigating pain from rear end blisters?
- cross training? xc skiing? it's ok. we still like and accept you.
- core training - share experience/benefits/experiments...
- injured? anything to share on your healing process...
- building a new rig for next riding season? confess.
- got a great deal on bike components - let us know...

rules:

- rkj_ - you still alive?
Oh hai! I'm still alive, yup. Maybe a little lost. Can somebody show me the way to salvation? k? thanks.

Plans? No idea. Might have to charge up the lights and do a few spooky solo night rides or something.

Bikes, I have three. That should do.

Winter trails, probably the same as summer trails - local.

Racing? Yeah... no... yeah... no... no.

Secret Training? No thanks.

I might go watch a Jr Hockey game or two, maybe strap on the goalie pads a time or two.

Trainer, that might get pulled out of the attic this winter. Maybe. If I get really bored and restless.

Cross training? Not likely. Hiking does not count as training in my books.

Injured? Not yet.

New rig? Not unless I break something. I think the only money I've spent on bike parts this year was on tubes. I had a million flats, and somehow have still not switched to tubeless.

Reactions: osokolo
#23 ·
OK! more pics...

they are worth 1000 words each, which saves me a lot of keyboarding! And that's a skill I don't have since back in the day it was called typing and was something only girls did. But I digress....
I hope to do more rides with the ever growing number of fat bikers riding around Muskoka. Oddly enough I have not been on many summertime group rides in a few years now but have been on several great ones each winter...

So great as all this is, two things that I am really excited about and should make winter even better is a) my spouse has a Pugsley now and I'm hoping she feels well enough to join us...

and b) I got a BikeTowLeash for my dog Blue. This gives me a lot more options. I can ride around town on the sidewalks now with him at my side. The walks are blown or plowed but still snow covered and make great fatbike riding. There are also some sled trails that run right through town and we can hit those too without my having to worry about him getting hit by a sled! Looks like this...

So I think we are ready...bring it on!! :D

#25 ·
No Hockey?

There's still the best hockey ever - aka the juniors in the CHL to watch, and whatever hockey I can get myself involved in, I know there will be two invitational tournaments in 2013 I'm scheduled to play in so I should get in a few pick-up games or shinny before then....

I might buy a stationary bike this year too to help keep the legs moving. I don't know.

Overall it's hard to say because wintertime at work is an OT wonderland especially if it snows a lot and 98% of it is voluntary, so it's all based on how greedy you feel....

#29 ·
yep, it is way easier to spend time on this puppy... mentally that is... suffering is the same...
congrats. good move.

i guess we should be afraid for the next year... ;)
Thanks Osokolo! :) Training with power is new for me and will provide plenty of motivation, even though motivation has never been a problem for me (indoors or outdoors). My problem is my genes and unfortunately I cannot buy my way out of that. :p

#27 ·
My mountain bikes are getting parked all winter, I'll ride my commuting bike around a bit and that's about it. Winter is hockey season for me, unless we have another non-winter like last year where it didn't snow and the ice rinks wouldn't stay frozen. If that happens again I'll go for quick rips on my local trails.

#32 ·
Ravenshoe and Hilton Falls for me too for trail rides. I have a Kona Stuff that I sacrifice to the salt gods and that is my road ride for the winter. I kind of use it as an urban assault vehicle on snowbanks and anything else that looks fun on the road, schools and Go Station parking lot. They pile up huge snow banks that are a bit of fun. I also put together a fully rigid ride using an old Brodie Holeshot frame for Joyride. With the seats folded down, I can easily put it in the back of my SUV and it won't get all mucked up on the drive to Markham.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.