rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    supersoftandpudgyrider?
    FTFY.

mtbr member

wowww....

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Congratulations!

but there will be time to sleep when she leaves for university.
    Now that is a really long stretch,and I'm definitely not ready for that... yet.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Try and get out 3 times a week
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what is your riding plan for winter. any plan!-img_1679-2-resized.jpg  

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by want to ride View Post
    If she'll be sharp with her arrival, we will have our most beautiful Christmas present ever!!!!

As the "D" day getting closer, I'm as excited as scared at the same time!
    Just sayin'

what is your riding plan for winter. any plan!-candj-001.jpg

... insert 18 years of great times here...

what is your riding plan for winter. any plan!-boys.jpg
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Lemmy Rules!
    Now that is a really long stretch,and I'm definitely not ready for that... yet.
    My wife and I adopted Unglued Jr. when he was 3 months old. He is now 5. The adoption happened very quickly - we had 2 weeks to get everything together (ie set up the nursery, buy a stroller and car seat etc etc) and then three days before he arrived I broke my leg.

Basically, what I learned is that no matter how prepared you are, you are never properly prepared for the way having a baby changes things. And it doesn't matter - it's a wild ride and you just do you best. Everyone goes through it.

Three random and unsolicited pieces of advice:

1. Whomever is home from work with the baby should make a concerted effort to leave the house ,with child in tow, every day, even in the dead of winter, and even if it is just to go to the Starbucks/Tim Hortons etc on the corner for a coffee, otherwise you will go stir crazy within a month!

2. To the greatest extent possible, make the child fit into your lifestyle, rather than changing your lifestyle to fit the baby. The best example I can think of for this is our very own Garage Monster and Nerdgirl, who take young Theo trail-building, on rides, to races, etc etc.

3. No matter how great your baby is, there will be times when you just cannot get them to stop crying or calm down, and you will start to melt down yourself. When that happens, put the child somewhere where they are safe (ie crib, exer-saucer - playpen, bouncy chair etc) and go somewhere else in the house where you cannot hear the crying, just for 10 minutes, to calm yourself down. Trust me on this one.

Anyway, congratulations and good luck. You won't need it though. it's gonna be awesome!
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member

wowww....

Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    My wife and I adopted Unglued Jr. when he was 3 months old. He is now 5. The adoption happened very quickly - we had 2 weeks to get everything together (ie set up the nursery, buy a stroller and car seat etc etc) and then three days before he arrived I broke my leg.

Basically, what I learned is that no matter how prepared you are, you are never properly prepared for the way having a baby changes things. And it doesn't matter - it's a wild ride and you just do you best. Everyone goes through it.

Three random and unsolicited pieces of advice:

1. Whomever is home from work with the baby should make a concerted effort to leave the house ,with child in tow, every day, even in the dead of winter, and even if it is just to go to the Starbucks/Tim Hortons etc on the corner for a coffee, otherwise you will go stir crazy within a month!

2. To the greatest extent possible, make the child fit into your lifestyle, rather than changing your lifestyle to fit the baby. The best example I can think of for this is our very own Garage Monster and Nerdgirl, who take young Theo trail-building, on rides, to races, etc etc.

3. No matter how great your baby is, there will be times when you just cannot get them to stop crying or calm down, and you will start to melt down yourself. When that happens, put the child somewhere where they are safe (ie crib, exer-saucer - playpen, bouncy chair etc) and go somewhere else in the house where you cannot hear the crying, just for 10 minutes, to calm yourself down. Trust me on this one.

Anyway, congratulations and good luck. You won't need it though. it's gonna be awesome!
    Now that is a story to tell!!!

Still have 51 days to get ready with everything so no need to panic.
    I will ask my other half to read your post,all 3 advice just make sense on every level.

The GM family is a shining example what I'd really like to follow,both of us like to spend time outdoors,and hopefully the little one will enjoy it as much as we do...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    Just sayin'

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	candj 001.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	139.8 KB 
ID:	734653

... insert 18 years of great times here...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	boys.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	734654
    Time is really flying......

Lemmy Rules!

I will ask my other half to read your post,all 3 advice just make sense on every level.

The GM family is a shining example what I'd really like to follow,both of us like to spend time outdoors,and hopefully the little one will enjoy it as much as we do...
    BTW I cribbed #3 from "Babies for Dummies"
    Strava made me do it....

Evil Jr.
    Make no mistake, our lifestyle has changed a ton! It's a balancing act to be sure but it's SO worthwhile.

I second Unglued's advice on getting out of the house. We all go out for big walk (cat included) every morning before daycare (where he goes out at least twice more a day, weather permitting) and then we get out after dinner every night as well (tonight was swimming lessons, for instance). He's at the point now that once we get his shoes on, he marches himself right out the door. It makes me smile every time.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer View Post

New bike? nah, im into car tuning now that i have an adults job.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Make no mistake, our lifestyle has changed a ton! It's a balancing act to be sure but it's SO worthwhile.

I second Unglued's advice on getting out of the house. We all go out for big walk (cat included) every morning before daycare (where he goes out at least twice more a day, weather permitting) and then we get out after dinner every night as well (tonight was swimming lessons, for instance). He's at the point now that once we get his shoes on, he marches himself right out the door. It makes me smile every time.
    So true. The quantity of riding has decreased dramatically, but the quantity of fun boy time makes it all worth it. When I was home, I made a point of having two excursions per day (even through the winter). One could be in the car, but the other involved fresh air and some kind of exercise for me. It totally kept me sane. I also highly recommend baby wearing! (I started with a Baby K'tan, but there are lots of great options.) It makes hiking possible, gets you in shape faster and the baby loves it! Also highly worth checking out - Ontario Early Years Centres and Programs - they were fantastic.

Also, sleep deprivation does tough things to a brain - try REALLY hard not to take it out on the baby or each other. Oh - and to your wife - labour is both worse and better than you fear. Don't be afraid to use drugs... Good luck!

sheep in FOX clothing
    Last week, on a rather cool and damp evening, my 3-yr-old daughter finished her dinner and casually asked "So are we going for a ride tonight?" Her brother immediately seconded the motion, as he always does.

This week with evening downpours on wet leaves, I only managed to convince them to take a break with some difficulty.

So yeah, the lifestyle change may be more.. fleeting.. than you expect.

mtbr member

I can second Unglued suggestions also on behalf of my wife who was at home with our kids for a few years. As some of you know, we have three, a seven year old daughter and four year old twin boys. So getting the troops out could be challenging sometimes. I know now it well as I do it every morning getting them to school.

My wife and I have always hoped that we can get our kids into the lifestyle that we have adopted. Which for me is cycling. Bringing them out, exposing them to it, and including them once they are old enough is key. My daughter has participated in kids races and would hit the singletrack with me if there was some close by that wasn't so hilly, as she's not strong enough for that quite yet.

Overall, you will adapt, because you don't have a choice. Making your youngsters part of your healthy lifestyle is key to getting them down that path too as well as you keeping some of the activities you love in your life too.

While we all go through decreases in activities due to jobs, family, injury or other things that come up, having kids can be embraced as one of the life experiences that eventually enhances what you are already doing. I have friends that are "hockey parents" that have asked us on a couple of occasions being that we have twin boys, "aren't you excited about when they can start hockey?". They are usually surprised by my answer which is obviously more suited to getting the kids into what Mom and Dad do. We will support their choice regardless, but hopefully we can register a "family team" in an eight or 24 hour when the kids are old enough!

Bottom line...It's all about balance. Enjoy the challenges and fun ahead!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

I build my own.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I also highly recommend baby wearing! (I started with a Baby K'tan, but there are lots of great options.) It makes hiking possible, gets you in shape faster and the baby loves it!
    I spent 6 years with a kid on my shoulders. Everywhere I went.

It took about 3 more years to stop talking to the kid that wasn't on my shoulders anymore. I'm sure a lot of people thought I had an "imaginary friend".

17 years in pictures.

Kids on the trail... no rant.

I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

I agree with all that has been said by others. And your lifestyle will some what change as others said.

Only thing I can say is invest in some good lights. If I didn't I wouldn't be able to get out half the time I do on the bike. And as I have learned even a 20 minute around the Lemoines Point sprint at 10pm is still better then nothing.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    you may include:
    - your winter bike, or your ONLY bike, that you will ride in the winter too
    - your winter riding trail. if it is Coppeland - don't say it. it is a secret.
    - racing cyclocross? which one - post experience
    - secret training with frequent phone calls to dr. ferrari - talk to us - we are your family...
    - planning on just watching hockey? well, sorry. there is NO hockey for you this winter. i think
    - trainer? what you got? what are you watching while mitigating pain from rear end blisters?
    - cross training? xc skiing? it's ok. we still like and accept you.
    - core training - share experience/benefits/experiments...
    - injured? anything to share on your healing process...
    - building a new rig for next riding season? confess.
    - got a great deal on bike components - let us know...

rules:

- Enduramil - limited to ONLY 1 post per day. in case it is not clear, that means one post per day.
    - Monsters - it is OK to invite us to your Christie Lake and guide us around
    - Biggie - no Lance worshipping in this thread. OK, maybe once per week
    - Circlip - *** **** * ** **** ** ***** (legal counsel advice)
    - Unglued - must be on weight watchers program in order to post now that he is ripped to oblivion. Lapdogs extending your contract?
    - Arek - i'll get back to you on this
    - twenty6black - no beer over winter or else
    - nogearshere - noggs for the inner cult circle - you still have account with intrawebs?
    - smarty - limited only to armchair smart arse laywers comments. mostly
    - Captain - must get married again. why would you be any better than the rest of us.
    - mtbmeister - take off the final Ocup podium life size poster from your bedroom wall. bathroom poster is ok.
    - Louda - pictures welcome
    - BCD - more pictures
    - rkj_ - you still alive?
    - tommy - preparing for Paris to Ancaster already?
    - Phat TIred - come back in style
    - Trail Ninja - this dude kicked cancer's ass... now he is looking for whomever sent it, all while he is reaching 50 miles of his own built trails... any questions?

there is more, but there ain't time to list it all... keep it fun folks... and keep it running...

OSOKOLO, What trouble are you starting over in this sub forum?
    Who gave you permission to be AWAL from the O/C thread..
    Everywhere i look you are takin the piss n starting Trouble
    Circlip, keep your eye on this bloke.
    Im going to have to pop in here from now on just to keep my eye on his activities for the management here,
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

No Stranger to danger....
    Not to mention i see the ''Rogue trail builder'' Trail Ninja seems to be your partner in crime here when he is not tearing up national parks with bulldozers n chainsaws, this sub forum seems to have some real Canadian ''bad seeds'' floating around in it.....
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    Im going to have to pop in here from now on just to keep my eye on his activities for the management here,
    Alert : Aussie invasion!

Welcome.

Maybe we just just merge the Eastern Canada and Aus/NZ subforums to confuse the heck out of everyone?

I build my own.
    This thread is going to confuse the heck out of Tone's. F'rinstance:

Tone's, welcome to November:

what is your riding plan for winter. any plan!-p12-12-11_15-45.jpg

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Alert : Aussie invasion!

Welcome.

Maybe we just just merge the Eastern Canada and Aus/NZ subforums to confuse the heck out of everyone?
    Pass...

they don't have enough MTB riders combined to make for a good forum... Why the heck would he frequent the snow-belt forum... really...

sock puppet

let me translate this

post to the english speaking EC forum members:

"hey osokolo, how are you baby? i miss you a lot. everywhere you go i have to follow you until you give me your phone number..."

I told you mate i am still married... i am sure you are cute but you just aint my piece of cake... but we can be friends... brb to OT forum...

Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    OSOKOLO, What trouble are you starting over in this sub forum?
    Who gave you permission to be AWAL from the O/C thread..
    Everywhere i look you are takin the piss n starting Trouble
    Circlip, keep your eye on this bloke.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Pass...

they don't have enough MTB riders combined to make for a good forum... Why the heck would he frequent the snow-belt forum... really...
    Pfft... like we have any snow.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    I agree with all that has been said by others. And your lifestyle will some what change as others said.

Only thing I can say is invest in some good lights. If I didn't I wouldn't be able to get out half the time I do on the bike. And as I have learned even a 20 minute around the Lemoines Point sprint at 10pm is still better then nothing.
    Yepp,lights will be my next investment for the next season, and with the trainer and the road bike,I think I'm set for any possibilities.

mtbr member
    post to the english speaking EC forum members:

"hey osokolo, how are you baby? i miss you a lot. everywhere you go i have to follow you until you give me your phone number..."

I told you mate i am still married... i am sure you are cute but you just aint my piece of cake... but we can be friends... brb to OT forum...
    Never a dull moment around you Osokolo!!!

Lemmy Rules!
    Time is really flying......
    You guys should form a thrash metal band. You have the look down. All you would need to do is learn how to play your instruments really, really fast
    Strava made me do it....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast