No. Just No. Moderator

What is your "The One"?

The one trail.

Not a trail system that you already ride regularly or have ridden in the past, but the one which you would ride for a new adventure if proximity weren't an issue. Could be a trail network, lift-accessed park, indoor, etc.

1. In your home province in Eastern Canada?

and

2. In all of Eastern Canada (could be same answer as 1 above) or in another E-C province?

3. For bonus points, are you planning to check these off your bucket list in 2013? If not, what is holding you back?

Up, Up, and Away!

Re: What is your "The One"?

Vallee Bras du Nord near St. Raymond. Going there this summer.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk 2

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SuprGrovr View Post
    Vallee Bras du Nord near St. Raymond. Going there this summer.
    Good on you for working on the bucket list! What makes this your "one"?

Up, Up, and Away!

Re: What is your "The One"?

Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Good on you for working on the bucket list! What makes this your "one"?
    The brochure looks beautiful. It's got a campground, 80km of epic mountain bike trails, and a river runs though it. Gonna do some Kingdom Trails in Vermont on the same trip. That's two off the old bucket list!

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    1. Shabomelaka and Camp Fortune if scheduling permits.

2. Outside of Ontaristan, Sugarloaf NB. Ideally it would occur due to VBall Diva getting the UNB head coach job.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 03-02-2013 at 04:02 PM.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

humber river advocate
    Newfoundland all the way

St Johns Subnet (White Hills), Richmond Hill, Shea Heights-Fort A, Torbay-Flatrock
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    This summer, there will be a trip to Kingdom trails. Heard great things, but have never been myself.

And since it was mentioned, Vallee Bras du Nord look great for the return stop on the way back from the East coast for a couple days riding!

As for 'it' place for me in Eastern Canada or East Coast. I've been lucky enough to get a sampling of lots, nothings stands out as holy grail, but there certainly are many places I need to ride!
    Last edited by CptSydor; 03-03-2013 at 01:58 PM.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Dear Cpt, looks very nice but are you suggesting that you know of a venue for alpine rides of this type in Eastern Canada? (see first post)

Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Alpine singletrack. As long as it looks something like these. Colorado was a consideration for this summer, but I'm not sure it will fly now, maybe next summer. I've done a bit of riding up at elevation, but only small tidbits. Would like to do a nice epic days ride in conditions like this. (Ultimately combine this with a village to village tour in the Alps, supported, and you have my dream MTB trip)

mtbr member
    Dear Cpt, looks very nice but are you suggesting that you know of a venue for alpine rides of this type in Eastern Canada? (see first post)
    Opps...reading comprehension fail.

mtbr member
    What, no love for the black trail at Albion Hills?
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    What, no love for the black trail at Albion Hills?
    Lots of luvin' for the black trail a A.H., but I think it's going to have a hard time meeting the criteria of trails that people have never ridden before (at least with many of the participants on this forum).

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Lots of luvin' for the black trail a A.H., but I think it's going to have a hard time meeting the criteria of trails that people have never ridden before (at least with many of the participants on this forum).
    No. It is simply not elitist enough.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    No. It is simply not elitist enough.
    Tsk tsk. Mo' trails is mo' better, and variety is the spice of life. Takes all kinds of trails to serve all segments of the community, so it's a good thing there are many, many places to ride in Onterrible and E-C.

cyberbully
    1. black and decker. never been heard they are awesome.

2. the "illegal" trails at camp fortune, I've only been on Jacob's Ladder, and it was a mindf*ck, at some points it doesn't even look like theres a trail there. local legend has it that the guy who built it, brought is xc rig up with him. the dhers in the lift line we're all: wtf, hows this guy gonna ride down on that?...so some of them followed him into JL, he went down, they couldn't hang and took way longer to get down the hill that he did.

3. my trip to the yukon is keeping me from doing it this year...but hey, 700 km of singletrack around whitehorse, 2 weeks and a sidetrip to dawson city: i'll cross that one off my bucket list instead, no biggie

edit: #1 isn't the "it" place, just a place i never rode before...hmmmm...the "it" place in ontario...
    Last edited by SkidVicious; 03-03-2013 at 08:01 PM.
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

pin it
    Moosonee, Moose Factory and James Bay coast

I did a clinical placement at Moose Factory Hospital and I never forgot the landscape and people I met
    I could take my bike on the Polar Bear Express and spend a couple of days exploring.

I like singlesprocket's idea of visiting Newfoundland as well. There is a forum member who posts pics from the Rock and that piqued my interest
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by SkidVicious View Post
    1. black and decker. never been heard they are awesome.

edit: #1 isn't the "it" place, just a place i never rode before...hmmmm...the "it" place in ontario...
    Do it sooner then later. There has been talk that the land owner wants to develop the land.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My bucket list is to one day to a complete end to end ride on the Bruce bike packing style.

Yes it's not exactly legal. Doesn't change the fact that I want to do it.

sheep in FOX clothing
    I should probably ride 3-stage at some point in my life.

And do some runs at Mount St-Anne before I have any further deterioration of the required muscles and ligaments.

Both may be a long while, which is lame considering how close the former is.

No. Just No. Moderator
    If you haven't ridden Kolapore, you can easily knock off both in the same day if you're already in that area. Both spots have their own charms.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    I should probably ride 3-stage at some point in my life.

Both may be a long while, which is lame considering how close the former is.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Queen Elizabeth wild lands end to end. Haven't attempted it yet, as I imagine it would take a fair bit of research, either traveling on Atv, power line or trails, swamps.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    My bucket list is to one day to a complete end to end ride on the Bruce bike packing style.

Yes it's not exactly legal. Doesn't change the fact that I want to do it.
    Im in the same boat. In fact a good size portion runs theough my inlaws property north of owen sound. I walked it in december and it looks to be an awsome ride!! I m ean an awsome hike

Tue ocups have been my only way to see other trail systems. I want to explore alot on ontario trails this year coming up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    Newfoundland all the way

St Johns Subnet (White Hills), Richmond Hill, Shea Heights-Fort A, Torbay-Flatrock
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    I like singlesprocket's idea of visiting Newfoundland as well. There is a forum member who posts pics from the Rock and that piqued my interest
    If any of you folks decide to come this way, make sure you PM me. I'll show you the trails and if I can't I'll connect you with people who can.
    I've got big plans for expansion of the Richmond Hill/Southside trails south towards Petty Hr and Cape Spear. Some ridiculous terrain back there.

I really want to get out to Gros Morne and ride the newly opened to MTB trails out there. Particularly the Stuckless Pond trail. There's a bunch of new IMBA-designed singletrack in Corner Brook that I'm itching to ride as well. Hoping to do this in the summer.

I'd also like to ride the trails in the Bayer's Lake area in Halifax (Wrandee's etc.) and check out some of the trails around the Niagara escarpment as my southern Ontario experience is limited to Hardwood and the Hydrocut.

The "illegal" trails at Fortune are pretty insane. Don't know what they're like now but back in 02-03 they were still being ridden regularly and were in good shape. Jacob's Ladder is a standout, though I wouldn't consider it any harder than Hairway or The Other Woman in the legal part of Fortune. Fortune XC trails are awesome, BTW.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For the last few years I've wanted to do Pikes Peak in Colorado but in the past they opened the ride only once a year with a very limited number. So as of January 1 this year, anyone can pay 10 bucks for a pass and go ahead and ride it. I know it isn't a trail, and it isn't in Eastern Canada, and it's not mountain biking, but it is on my bucket list. I rode Mount Washington in 03 and 08 but logistically Pikes Peak is more difficult and I would need a few days in Colorado Springs to try to acclimate for the elevation as it climbs up over 14,000 feet. Still, it is a maybe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    OK, so I saw this becoming a "bucket list" ... As I was travelling from Nova Scotia to Ontario for vacation, my wife and I dropped in on Vallee Bras de Nord, unfortunately only a day (in retrospect). Having spent 4 days at Kingdom Trails last year, I would rate these trails as much superior. Great maintenance and drainage (light rain the day prior), spectacular flow, just enough technical to make it interesting, and great scenery to boot. Favorite trail: Chute A Gilles, for the technical descent to the rather spectacular waterfalls. We'll be back to try the longer trails. Well worth the travel.
    Above refers to Secteur Shannahan: http://www.valleebrasdunord.com/imag..._velo_shan.pdf
    there is also a section in town Secteur St-Raymond in town which we didn't get to:
    http://www.valleebrasdunord.com/imag...velo_Laura.pdf