Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

What tires are you running?

Plenty of threads on this topic in the wheels and tires forum, but thought it would be cool to compile what people in the region are running and your thoughts/review of the tires (also where and what type of riding you do).

My ulterior motive to starting this thread is to find ideas for replacing the stock rear Specialized s-works Renegade tire that came on my Stumpy 29er. If there is any level of dampness, that tire is useless.
    Last edited by Shibby; 06-25-2012 at 09:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Schwalbe Racing Ralph 29 x 2.25 rear
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 29 x 2,25 front

Set up tubeless with Stan's on Arch/ZTR wheels

XC/trail riding.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

sheep in FOX clothing
    Tires: RaceKing Supersonic (run tubeless).

Usage: Eastern GTA

Used Since: 2009 (on my 3rd set)

Recommend them to others: Probably not.

'11 Opus Strat
    26" CST Comp Copperhead's on Alex Ace17 rims., First higher-end bike I've owned ( 2011 Opus Strat ) Came on the bike and really impressed with them so far. I do all types of riding, but mostly MUT or scooting around town and they perform very well on any surface, Even a smooth ride with the trailer hooked and kiddo in it!.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Rocket Ron F / Racing Ralph R

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post
    My ulterior motive to starting this thread is to find ideas for replacing the stock rear Specialized s-works Renegade tire that came on my Stumpy 29er. If there is any level of dampness, that tire is useless.
    I had the same complaint about the OEM Continental Mountain King 2.2 that came on the Rocky Mountain Altitude carbon that I bought last summer; they were OK in the dry but very sketchy in the damp & wet on roots and even rock to the point I didn't want to ride the bike in these conditions!
    So I recently replaced them with Continental Mountain King 2.4 front & rear which besides being wider also has a different tread pattern than the 2.2 does! Amazing...couldn't believe the difference! Grip is much improved in the damp but even better this bike ( 5.5" travel ) now just floats over the gnar, roots & rocks of my home trails at Buckwallow! They roll really well too, surprisingly! I run about low to mid 20's psi although the side wall recommends 50-60 psi !!
    No way would I run even close to that pressure, I would be bouncing and boinging off roots & rocks constantly on these trails.

Evil Jr.
    Front: Racing Ralph 2.25
    Rear: Racing Ralph 2.1

Mounted to Crank Brothers Cobalt 29s.

Inflated to around 20psi unless I start to rim-out.

Great all-around tire. I've used them everywhere for XC from BC to Pennsylvania and all over the place in Ontario.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Here at Laguna Seca, home of the Sea Otter, I am running Sworks Fast Trak 2.0 in front and rear. They are fast and stick on turns.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Front: Maxxis Ikon 2.2 @ 28PSI Tubed
    Back: Maxxis Ikon 2.2 @ 32PSI Tubed

If its muddy I swap to Rocket Rons, same PSI.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Lemmy Rules!
    Have recently switched from Racing Ralph 2.2's to Contintental X-King 2.2's with Black Chili compound, mounted tubeless to Stans' Arch EX. I ride cross-country on a rigid singlespeed.

The jury is still out on the x-kings. They are very light and fast and seem to grip fine in dry to moderately damp, but there is something that feels a little odd about them that I cannot quite put my finger on. I will likely keep them on the bike for the rest of the season but I expect, all things being equal, that I will ultimately go back to Racing Ralphs.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    29x2.2 Conti Race Kings set up tubeless with Stans Arch EX. Love these tires. Fast and lots of grip in dry to moderately wet conditions. Use mostly at the hydrocut in KW, and at Kelso.

sock puppet
    Plenty of threads on this topic in the wheels and tires forum, but thought it would be cool to compile what people in the region are running and your thoughts/review of the tires (also where and what type of riding you do).

when you decide to get rid of Renegade - PM me...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Conti Gravity on the Mistress. Vitoria CX tires on the CX beast.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wake2dirt View Post
    Here at Laguna Seca, home of the Sea Otter, I am running Sworks Fast Trak 2.0 in front and rear. They are fast and stick on turns.
    Interesting - I've got a Fast Trak on the front. Maybe I'll move it to the back and get another one, or something even more aggressive, for the front.

Perpetual Hack
    2.35 Schwalbe Hans Dampf in Trailstar compound for general trail riding.
    2.4 Schwalbe Big Betty 2ply in Vertstar for Gravity days.

Pressures depend upon conditions, but to hold up my 230lb rtr weight...

Front 24-28psi
    Rear 27-32psi

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    26x2.5 Minion DHF EXO 3C F&R running tubeless at 20-something psi - been riding these pretty much everywhere since they hold air better tubeless than my Kendas
    26x2.5 Nevegal DH F&R w/DH tubes - on my DH wheelset
    26x2.35 Nevegal StickE F&R running tubeless - like the tires but have taken them off in favor of the Minions because they're leaky and sidewalls were insufficient for my last big trip
    26x2.1 Nevegal StickE UST F&R - on my XC bike which I haven't ridden at all this year.

sore member
    Question for those on Racing Ralphs: what flavour are you running? EVO, Snakeskin, Double Defense, etc? And what width?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Interesting - I've got a Fast Trak on the front. Maybe I'll move it to the back and get another one, or something even more aggressive, for the front.
    Try the FAST Trak Control or the Captain. I ran the Captain up front and handled great just not as fast.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Good Question. I would like to know myself.

Nice day for a ride.....
    Front - 29x2.35 Maxxis Ardent - 24psi
    Rear - 29x2.1 Maxxis Crossmark - 29psi

250lbs rider, XC riding, lots of sand down my way and works great, works pretty good on the clay / hardpack stuff too.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Conti Race King 2.2 in the cheap wire bead version for my commuter/light duty bike. This bike gets a roughly even mix of road, gravel paths, and singletrack trails. Darn fast, good traction on hardpack & rocks, but gets sketchy on soft loose dirt and is useless in the wet. It's good at climbing and rolling fast but the rest of the package leaves something to be desired, cornering has to be done weight forward with authority or foot down moto-style to get the tires to bite, otherwise the front washes out too easily.

My good bike has Conti Mountain King (version II) 2.2 tires with the Black Chili rubber and Protection sidewalls. This bike gets ridden on everything you can find off-road, but not in the wet if I can help it since tracking down vintage drivetrain parts is not fun. These tires have tons of traction, so much in fact that I've clipped trees on the inside of corners because I'm expecting the tires to break traction and drift outwards, instead, they just grip and rail around the turns. Climbing grip is probably equal to the Velocirators I once had, if I can keep the cranks turning they'll keep digging into the ground to get me up the slope. The only weakness I've found so far is wet tree roots, they'll spin out when I'm standing and putting the power down in granny ring on a climb, but so will every other tire that I've tried to date. Currently my favourite tire.

Also have a set of Tioga Factory XC 1.95 tires on a backup wheelset for my good bike. Rolls like a slug, but great traction in soft loose dirt and hardpack. Doesn't rail turns as well as the Mountain King and when it loses traction it does so without much warning. And it's a horror show in the wet, it slides badly on everything and if I hit wood or stone the bike is going down.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    I never ride in the wet so I run an Ardent (f) and racing ralph (r) on the 29er, and Python Air lights on the 26er.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member

my set up....

Racing Ralph's on Crest rims running tubeless on 29er HT....

I will change the rear for Maxxis Aspen 2.1 and give it a try,we'll see how it goes...

I'm pretty light; <150 pounds,and I ride at Durham Forest a lot...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Tires: RaceKing Supersonic (run tubeless).

Usage: Eastern GTA

Used Since: 2009 (on my 3rd set)

Recommend them to others: Probably not.
    Curious why you wouldn't recommend if you have gone back to these a few times. Is it just quick wear?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber495 View Post
    Curious why you wouldn't recommend if you have gone back to these a few times. Is it just quick wear?
    The supersonic is the super light super fast version of the Raceking tire, it's kinda fragile and finicky, to me it's a pretty specialized tire with a fairly narrow range of applications for certain riders who know exactly what they want. It's not a general purpose tire that's suitable for most riders under most conditions, most riders will kill the tire or hate it because it's not made for what they need.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast