Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What makes Newfoundland cyclists so hardcore?

534 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Biggie 
#1 ·
Why, the weather of course!

Environment Canada just published their results of a survey of the weather in the 100 largest cities in Canada over the past 30 years. They looked at 75 different categories (e.g. warmest summer, coldest winter, snowiest city, et cetera). Those of us who live here are well aware of how extreme and variable our weather can be but those of you “from away” might need to be educated a bit. Here are the categories in which St. John’s, NL , made it into the Top 10:

Foggiest city (days) – 1st

Windiest city year-round – 1st

Windiest winter – 1st

Windiest summer – 1st

Most windy days (40 km/h or more) – 1st

Most hours with low visibility – 1st

Cloudiest skies year-round – 2nd

Most freezing rain days – 2nd

Most wet days – 3rd

Fewest sunny days year-round – 3rd

Lowest average pressure – 3rd

Coolest summer – 3rd

Wettest city (rain and snow) – 5th

Least sunshine year-round – 5th

Most snow days – 6th

Most blowing snow days – 6th

Rainiest city – 8th

Most very wet days (25mm or more) – 9th

Fewest thunderstorm days – 9th

Snowiest city – 9th

Snowiest Spring – 10th

We made the Top 10 in 21 different areas, few of them conducive to good cycling. Even with my rose coloured glasses on there are only four categories in which we are in the Top 10 that I can see that benefit biking: coolest summer (hey, I said I had my rose coloured glasses on!); most snow days; snowiest city; and, snowiest Spring. The latter three categories, of course, a benefit to those who choose to ride on the snow and clearly a detriment to our brothers and sisters who are dedicated roadies or mountain bikers.

For more on cycling on "The RocK" click on the link to my blog below:

See less See more
#3 ·
It always cracks me up on mtbr when high and mighty people say, "What, you rode in the rain?" NFLDers and Brits wouldn't ride at all if they didn't ride in rain!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.