Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Wasp Attack!

Kidding myself...

Wasp Attack!

During our weekly group ride last evening, we inadvertently disturbed a ground nest full of really ill-tempered wasps. The guy ahead of me on the trail rode over it first. He got away with only one sting. By the time I got to the nest, the angry insects swarmed out of their hole and literally attacked me. I was stung at least 20 times on my legs, back, abdomen, arms and ears! Thank God I'm not allergic! The adrenalin rush from all those stings and sheer terror was unbelievable! I felt so agitated, my hands wouldn't stop shaking and I could not focus on anything at all. At that point riding technical singletrack was no longer an option. After taking a few minutes to calm myself down, I rode slowly avoiding anything that resembled roots or rocks. I am very thankful to my riding buddies who stayed wiith me and saw to it that I made it back safely.

It occurred to me afterward that it probably would be a really good idea for us all to carry an epi-pen on these rides just in case someone is stung and does have an anaphylactic reaction. Had I been severely allergic, I probably would not have made it out of the bush in time, and indeed would not have lived to tell this story!
    "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

Evil Jr.
    Holy cow, that sounds totally freaky! I'm not sure I could regain my composure after something like that!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Kidding myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Holy cow, that sounds totally freaky! I'm not sure I could regain my composure after something like that!
    All the stings have gone from painful to itchy today. I think I'll go home and take some Benadryl... and the rest of the day off!
    "When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race." ~H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Reading this reminds me of the one wasp sting I got during a ride - felt like I was hit by a baseball bat. Watch for infection - they infect easily!

rad to the power of sick
    Wow.

I know that generally towards the end of summer into fall, bees and wasps get aggressive due to the lack of pollenating flowers, whereas early in the summer they are pretty docile.

Get well soon!

Kidding myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by pikester
    Reading this reminds me of the one wasp sting I got during a ride - felt like I was hit by a baseball bat. Watch for infection - they infect easily!
    Thanks for that good advice.

Kidding myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by superlightracer
    Wow.

I know that generally towards the end of summer into fall, bees and wasps get aggressive due to the lack of pollenating flowers, whereas early in the summer they are pretty docile.

Get well soon!
    Thanks SLR!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Get better soon! I got a single sting while riding last year, right on the lip, half of my face was swollen for 4 days!

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by anarawd

It occurred to me afterward that it probably would be a really good idea for us all to carry an epi-pen on these rides just in case someone is stung and does have an anaphylactic reaction. Had I been severely allergic, I probably would not have made it out of the bush in time, and indeed would not have lived to tell this story!
    Don't mean to alarm, but after being stung repeatedly on one occasion some people do develop an allergic reaction to further stings. So the epi-pen, probably a good idea!

BTW, which trail?

Space for rent...
    Similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago in Algonquin. Lead guy in a portage train, disturbed a wasp nest and the rest of us paid the price.

I was at the back under a canoe and only got four bites on my legs, before I was able to drop the canoe and run off screaming like a little girl. A couple of guys ahead of me got hit 10/12 times.

We did run out of benadryl that trip.
    It's only pain......

Muskoka
    same thing happened to me once in the A/O Mudslinger's series race at Buckwallow. I was riding 3rd in a group, lead rider rode over a root covering the opening to the ground nest. he and #2 got away, I was only stung once. other riders behind were also stung. Worst thing...had 2 more laps to do over the same section of trail. Being stung by surprise is one thing, knowing there are agitated wasps there and anticipating being stung again next lap was worse I think!! 20 or 30 stings must be nasty?

Kidding myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik
    Don't mean to alarm, but after being stung repeatedly on one occasion some people do develop an allergic reaction to further stings. So the epi-pen, probably a good idea!

BTW, which trail?
    Yeah, I have heard that can happen. I'm getting an epi-pen for sure. It's just not worth the risk
    This happened in Kingston at the Glenburnie Trails (a.k.a. The Farm)

mtbr member
    We get 2 or 3 nests every year at the Village as well, it makes you ride harder to be in front of the pack, the first rider is usually good. They seem to like George the best, One got caught in his sleeve and got him for a good 2km over and over again.

mtbr member
    May 2004

BTW, which trail?

Good advice. I am one of those people. I have been stung over the years a few times. This spring in 1 ride (road too damn it!) I was stung 5 times, 2 seperate wasps. Got 2 big lumps on 2 of them and they bruised bad.

Fast forward 3 weeks ago, cleaning the composter (a long over due open air one) and there was a nest, got stung 2 times, hand swole up, huge lumps on the others, forced 2 days off work, could not type.

Went to family doctor for a test and now registering a 3 on the scale, not deathly but will be carrying an epi in the future.

KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    At 24 hr Hot Aug Nights, the campsite at Albion was crawling with them. I got a wasp sting as i was sitting on the tailgate of my truck. Didn't swell up too much, but it hurt for a while. Still did my laps though!

Evil Jr.
    There were lots crawling all over the (many) beer cans at Camp Misfit too. No stings though. I think they were all too drunk to bother!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    same thing happened to me once in the A/O Mudslinger's series race at Buckwallow. I was riding 3rd in a group, lead rider rode over a root covering the opening to the ground nest. he and #2 got away, I was only stung once. other riders behind were also stung. Worst thing...had 2 more laps to do over the same section of trail. Being stung by surprise is one thing, knowing there are agitated wasps there and anticipating being stung again next lap was worse I think!! 20 or 30 stings must be nasty?

Next time I race I will be dropping wasps nests behind me on the last lap! Now just to design the perfect wasp proof jersey!

KIN
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

mtbr member
    Just a note : EPI sticks cost about $100 (without coverage) and have a life of
    about 3 years .

Kidding myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by Styles
    At 24 hr Hot Aug Nights, the campsite at Albion was crawling with them. I got a wasp sting as i was sitting on the tailgate of my truck. Didn't swell up too much, but it hurt for a while. Still did my laps though!
    Is it just me or has there been a stinging insect population explosion this year? I realise 'tis the season BUT it seems no matter where I go outside these days, they're everywhere!

Evil Jr.
    That and tent caterpillars. Yuck!

mtbr member
    This is true, and I am living evidence. I was about 10 and had a similar situation to the original poster. I now get a fair amount of swelling from a single sting. A couple years ago I was stung on a fingertip and my entire arm blew up, all my fingers looked like fat little sausages.
    My doctor did prescribe an epi-pen but they are pricey and expire in a matter of months. I think he prescribed it as peace of mind, as he also said that unless I was stung in the nose or throat (airway passages), the swelling wouldn't likely be life threatening. So I never filled the prescription. But if I do get stung I end the ride immediately and go directly to a drug store and load up on antihistamines.
    I could be wrong but my interpretation is this; acquired sting allergies are typically not life threatening, unlike those unfortunate souls that do have the massive anaphylactic reactions.
    In the 90s I was camping at Long Point and a guy a few sites over drank from a beer bottle with a bee in it, they didn't get the emergency tracheotomy in time and he died. I am always veeeerrrryyyy cautious about dark beer bottles and pop cans in summer time.
    I love riding my bike!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

got stung last saturday, went to the doctors tuesday

because I was riding down in Ellicottville in the woods. It swelled up, lump the size of a toonie, was red, burnng and itching something crazy. Doc says it's not a deer tick but gave me a requsition for blood test for antibodies anyway. If it doen't clear up in a week or so I am to go in for test. Pulled a 1/4" stinger out this morning. It just starting to go down after 6 days. I still don't know what it was.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

20 times!!

Quote Originally Posted by anarawd
    During our weekly group ride last evening, we inadvertently disturbed a ground nest full of really ill-tempered wasps. The guy ahead of me on the trail rode over it first. He got away with only one sting. By the time I got to the nest, the angry insects swarmed out of their hole and literally attacked me. I was stung at least 20 times on my legs, back, abdomen, arms and ears! Thank God I'm not allergic! The adrenalin rush from all those stings and sheer terror was unbelievable! I felt so agitated, my hands wouldn't stop shaking and I could not focus on anything at all. At that point riding technical singletrack was no longer an option. After taking a few minutes to calm myself down, I rode slowly avoiding anything that resembled roots or rocks. I am very thankful to my riding buddies who stayed wiith me and saw to it that I made it back safely.

Glad to hear you survived that ride. Can't imagine being stung that many times.
    My bro-in-law got stung last summer working in his yard. Never been allergic before but within five minutes he was feeling dizzy and passed out. Had my sister not been home to get him to the hospital, doctors said he would have died. Since hearing that, I always ride with Benadryl tablets in my Camelbak. And a cell phone. You just never know.
    High on Life

Kidding myself...
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    I always ride with Benadryl tablets in my Camelbak. And a cell phone. You just never know.
    Good idea! You never know.

mtbr member
    Maybe I missed this, but where were you, anarawd? A friend and I were riding in the upper Don yesterday morning and he got stung once on the arm. Apparently he'd been stung a week or two before in the same general area (of the Don, not his arm ).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast