sproket buster
    Oct 2007

Wanted opinion for deore hubs from local people

I konw they are priced right, but how do they compare to LX or XT.
    Intended use is rear wheel, the front I have is more than fine.

thx for your opinions!!!
    Live to ride, ride to live... out of Mississauga.

MTB: Cannondale HT--------Pavment: Specialized Sirrus

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by fizol
    I konw they are priced right, but how do they compare to LX or XT.
    Intended use is rear wheel, the front I have is more than fine.

thx for your opinions!!!
    Well, i used a rear deore hub for a few years, and a few thousand km. Overall, it worked out pretty well. In the first year or two, the hub came a little bit loose. I did not notice, and it wrecked the cones and bearings. That was user fault. The good news is that these hubs are easily serviceable and re-buildable. If you make sure they are adjusted properly, they roll very smoothly. The seals are not 100% muck proof, so you will need to re-grease them periodically. Actually, they are pretty far from muck proof. Each time i re-built them, the drive side looked especially contaminated. So, with maintenance they can last a long time, but i don't suggest you ignore them for too long without giving 'em a little tlc. I would suggest an overhaul at least once a year, after the fall/winter/spring/ muck season is over. Also, in time, my freehub developed play in it, but that too is replaceable.

Also, these hubs are very heavy, and the axles are prone to breaking. I broke my front axle twice, but never the rear.

Going up to XT or LX actually does not gain you a whole lot. They are still cup and cone bearings, with basic sealing. Go to the shimano website, and check out the exploded views. they look pretty similar. You will save a little weight, but even the XT rear hub is pretty heavy. I think the XT's at least have a stronger axle, and a different freehub body. I don't know if the bearings are any different or not in quality.

In conclusion, shimano hubs are not the best, but you can't beat them for value. There are some really nice hubs out there, but they will cost you 2-10 times as much
    Last edited by rkj__; 10-17-2007 at 01:30 PM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    There are 2 levels of Deore. The after-market 500 series, which is pretty good, and the OEM 400 series, which is cheap. The 500 series uses the same seals & bearing treatment as the LX & XT, minus the polishing, so the axle does not feel silky smooth out of the box. The freehubs seem to last longer on the LX/XT versions. You can install an XT freehub onto the Deore hub shell when it wears out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    haven't had any issues with mine and i'm going onto 2 yrs now. Going to get it overhauled when spring rolls around.

sproket buster
    Oct 2007
    Thanks to all, Deore it is
    Live to ride, ride to live... out of Mississauga.

MTB: Cannondale HT--------Pavment: Specialized Sirrus

mtbr member
    used nothing but deore for the last 4 years. I am a heavy rider who bashes through stuff and i havent had a single issue. Spokes on the other hand....
    Ask me About O Rings (Check the Classified section)