Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    156

    Wanted: A cheap rigid fork to "fix" Cannondal and Yakima Q clips for mk5 Jetta in GTA

    I'm looking for a cheap rigid fork to put on my old Cannondale M700. It came with a 1 1/4" headset for which I cannot find a shorter/taller stem. I want to replace the fork so I can use some adapters/reducers and switch to 1 1/8" standard size. Anyone in GTA have a cheap fork available, preferably aluminum? Did I mention cheap?

    Also, need the clips to put my Yakima racks on my mk5 Jetta.

  2. #2
    No. Just No. Moderator
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,705
    Note: Anyone with items to sell that may fill the OP's needs please send PM to bishskate rather than posting.

    Good luck to the OP in your search.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    156
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Note: Anyone with items to sell that may fill the OP's needs please send PM to bishskate rather than posting.

    Good luck to the OP in your search.
    Thanks. I hope I'm not breaking forum rules with the post, just trying to keep things local. Kijiji/CL have not turned up much.

  4. #4
    No. Just No. Moderator
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,705
    Quote Originally Posted by bishskate View Post
    Thanks. I hope I'm not breaking forum rules with the post, just trying to keep things local. Kijiji/CL have not turned up much.
    No worries. You're essentially asking for help, and the folks around this forum like to help so it's all good. Just trying to keep it from looking like CL in terms of posting info about items for sale (which mtbr does have some guidelines about).

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation: secret agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    606
    Did you try Woodman for stems. They make a bunch of sizes that fit the headshock. That might be cheaper than a fork. I used to have 2 cannondales and I still have a couple of stems including a Woodman.
    Burnt Norton

  6. #6
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,129
    Give Veteran Youth at Cycle Solutions-Beaches. As I recall he has a bit of a collection of some of that old stuff and if he doesn't he probably will know where.

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veteran_youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Give Veteran Youth at Cycle Solutions-Beaches. As I recall he has a bit of a collection of some of that old stuff and if he doesn't he probably will know where.
    Sorry Circlip, but as I was called right out I am responding in thread. Will try to add some general info to give it mass appeal!

    Shop can probably help you out w/some 1 1/4-1 1/8 head tube adaptor shims (press into the frame so that it will accept a standard 1 1/8 HS and this fork. Haven't checked in a while but may still be kicking somewhere.

    But above and beyond that, you may not be aware but Giant has brought 1 1/4 stems back under the moniker Overdrive 2. Almost all of their high end models come stock with them so they have a pretty wide selection of stems. I remember responding to your last query on here a while ago not sure why I didn't think of it then.

    Giant Connect SL OD2 Stem (Stems) - Bike Gear | Giant Bicycles | United States

    Andrew

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    156
    Apologies to circlip for the contra-band thread that won't die LOL

    Thanks guys,
    I checked out the Woodman stems and the Giant link. Both are for threadless stems, but my bike is old enough it uses a quill stem. If I had access to a metal lathe it would be really easy to produce half a quill stem to which a threadless stem would then clamp.

    I'm sure someone will PM me but for those of you with advice regarding other solutions, I think there is a benefit to others facing the same issues. Hours on google has not reaped much info so far.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: VR6ix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by bishskate View Post
    Also, need the clips to put my Yakima racks on my mk5 Jetta.
    Ontario forum on VWVortex.com, although they will (rightfully so) tell you to post in the Canadian Parts Classifieds forum instead:
    Ontario Forum: VWVortex.com - Ontario
    Canadian Parts Classifieds forum: VWVortex.com - Canadian Classifieds Parts

    Ontario forum on TDIClub.com, although they may (rightfully so) ask you if you really have a TDI or not, lol! Not that it matters...
    Ontario - TDIClub Forums
    also known as Plaid Shirt Guy...

  10. #10
    No. Just No. Moderator
    Reputation: Circlip's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,705
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    Sorry Circlip, but as I was called right out I am responding in thread.
    Ya ya...

    Quote Originally Posted by bishskate View Post
    Apologies to circlip for the contra-band thread that won't die LOL
    Ya ya ya...

    I see this as a special problem needing a bit of community knowledge and help, so no big dealio.

  11. #11
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,129
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    Sorry Circlip, but as I was called right out I am responding in thread. Will try to add some general info to give it mass appeal!


    Well, you are the only one here who is pretty retro in his parts selection other then me. Though riding that elevated chainstay Alpinstars you have kind of confirms it.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veteran_youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    754
    Quill stem? That changes everything!

    I.D. of a 1.25 fork is actually 1.125". Therefore you can find any junker 1.125 fork, and assuming you have a miter (or a steady hand) cut the steerer at an angle to match the wedge in your current stem (leave the top square). Swap your bolt and wedge into it. You now have a 1.25 quill adaptor that will accommodate any 1.125 threadless stem.

    Edit because I forgot how to make sense.

  13. #13
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,129
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post

    I see this as a special problem needing a bit of community knowledge and help, so no big dealio.
    The RGMC beacon was activated.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    156
    Took a few readings but I think I understand. As long as the wedge will not fit inside the steerer tube that is a genius idea!!

    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    Quill stem? That changes everything!

    I.D. of a 1.25 fork is actually 1.125". Therefore you can find any junker 1.125 fork, and assuming you have a miter (or a steady hand) cut the steerer at an angle to match the wedge in your current stem (leave the top square). Swap your bolt and wedge into it. You now have a 1.25 quill adaptor that will accommodate any 1.125 threadless stem.

    Edit because I forgot how to make sense.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: veteran_youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    754
    Quote Originally Posted by bishskate View Post
    Took a few readings but I think I understand. As long as the wedge will not fit inside the steerer tube that is a genius idea!!
    The wedge should be a 1.125" diameter as well, and as such it shouldn't be possible for it to slip into the steerer. You could probably find any 1.125" tubing and use it for this purpose, but at least you know a steerer tube was built to withstand the exact forces of this application.

    Also it's probably worth mentioning use a THREADLESS steerer. You will need to pound the star fangled nut below the point where you are cutting but that is easy. An aluminum steerer off an older Judy or the like might have a greater wall thickness which could help with wedge tightening (less digging/binding maybe?).

    So whichever way you slice it, I guess you are still looking for a 1 1/8" fork!

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    156
    Hang about, wouldn't I need a cap for the top of the tube to hold the bolt head? There would be a lot of force to keep the wedge tight.

Similar Threads

  1. Need help picking light rigid fork from list of "budget" ideas
    By vikingshelmut in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-15-2013, 03:17 PM
  2. Yakima q clips for 2013 jetta
    By tangaroo in forum Car & Biker
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-08-2012, 06:43 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-16-2012, 10:08 AM
  4. "Paid Spam" Fatback Fork Wanted!
    By bdundee in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-04-2011, 04:47 PM
  5. White Industries "Rock Solid" carbon rigid fork weighed
    By mechBgon in forum Weight Weenies
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-13-2011, 12:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •