Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Vid of the Day

mtbr member

Vid of the Day

Between wheel size, seat height, pedal choice, dogs on the trail, and general awesomeness, I think we can get at least 3 pages out of this. Enjoy!

on pinkbike.com

No. Just No. Moderator
    Some of those descents are going to suck climbing back up to return the dog to its owner.

Evil Jr.
    I'll bite.

Despite their general awesomeness, 29ers still look awkward coming off jumps.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Up, Up, and Away!
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Some of those descents are going to suck climbing back up to return the dog to its owner.
    And it will take longer on foot, since they used the bike as firewood!

sheep in FOX clothing
    That dog looks un-naturally fast.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    One thing we know for sure, that's not swabag's dog.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Actually it's undeniable proof that 29'ers suck. It was downhill all the way and they couldn't go fast enough to drop a dog.

namagomi
    Smallblock 8's for the win...

I often wondered how well a magnesium fork will burn.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Severe lycra deficiency.

mtbr member
    aerius: It was downhill all the way and they couldn't go fast enough to drop a dog.

But that is no ordinary dog. He would drop most of us in about 2 seconds.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

GAME ON!
    was that dog running clips?
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine View Post
    was that dog running clips?
    No, geeeeeeeze don't you pay attention? He needs the clips to go up those hill.

I Strava Hamburgers
    3:22

Yeah my PB in the 40 is sub 2 seconds.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Love this song. It was driving me nuts not knowing who it was but thinking MJ might have been in there. Maybe nobody else cares but it is actually Junior Senior-Move Your Feet. They're a Danish band that released it back in 2002. Great track.
    Santa Cruz Highball

humber river advocate
    lol platforms and a dropped seatpost... did look awkward in the air and by the head snaps the landings where sketch. skilled rider though. i'm actually considering that bike Transition Bikes as my forray into 29er land.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    lol platforms and a dropped seatpost... did look awkward in the air and by the head snaps the landings where sketch. skilled rider though. i'm actually considering that bike Transition Bikes as my forray into 29er land.
    This is something I was actually thinking about when I posted the vid, but didn't want to dig in until it was (sort of) alluded to; the bike is not at all being used for its intended purpose in this vid! Even Transition stongly implies this with the "he couldn't break it" at the end. It is a 5.5lbs (claimed) frame. It has 5" travel. This makes it LIGHTER significantly than my 2005 SC Blur which had 26" wheels and they sure as heck weren't marketing it as a big hit type bike. Or about the same weight as my 2009 Fisher Hifi 29 that I would never have considered for a moment putting up to that kind of abuse. Are Transition's engineers really that much better than Trek's? Same thing goes for the Tallboy and Seb Kemp Whistler media coverage....while it is undoubtedly possible to ride these bikes to their absolute limit, should the average paying customer be given the impression through a few viral vids that the bikes are built to take this abuse when they really are not?

PS Singlesprocket have you considered the Alum. Tallboy or are you over your SC kick? Yeti SB-95 should be dropping soon, too. No (edit: practical) bottle cage mount though so will not do for XC weenies like myself.

Hazardous to your health!
    im pretty sure the dog belongs to the biker guys....lol

sick vid and sick dog
    2011 Specialized Rockhopper: Captain Tires, Disc Brakes, 24 speed

Upgrades:
    Shimano Clipless pedals
    x9 Rear Derailleur

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    Same thing goes for the Tallboy and Seb Kemp Whistler media coverage....while it is undoubtedly possible to ride these bikes to their absolute limit, should the average paying customer be given the impression through a few viral vids that the bikes are built to take this abuse when they really are not?
    IIRC, I think Ibis did the same thing with Brian Lopes before they had a "big hit" version of the Mojo.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

bi-winning
    They sure as heck weren't marketing it as a big hit type bike.
    Yes, for the riding depicted in the video, I think a bike with 3" smaller wheels and 3" more suspension travel would be better suited.

IMHO, the video does not really "prove" much. We all know that a skilled rider can ride a less than ideally suited bike over advanced terrain. We also know that under built bikes can typically take a beating - for a short while - without failing. Riding outside the intended usage will just lead a shorter lifespan. For example, the test bike might last for 3 months, but 2 years would seem unlikely.

None the less, it's always at least a little cool to see some skilled riding.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__ View Post
    We all know that a skilled rider can ride a less than ideally suited bike over advanced terrain. We also know that under built bikes can typically take a beating - for a short while - without failing. Riding outside the intended usage will just lead a shorter lifespan. For example, the test bike might last for 3 months, but 2 years would seem unlikely.
    Just look at all the stuff BIKE magazine did with the sh*tbike. They had Cam McCaul backflip the freakin' thing!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Needs more skidding and mooar roost.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    ...while it is undoubtedly possible to ride these bikes to their absolute limit, should the average paying customer be given the impression through a few viral vids that the bikes are built to take this abuse when they really are not?
    The average paying consumer will never ride his bike like that anyway so I don't think it's much of a concern. Think of it this way, we have car commercials for crapbox cars where they slide the cars around and do all kinds of high-performance driving with them which would kill them in short order, yet no one complains about those commercials and it's understood that driving like that will likely kill your car in short order.

Just cause some person saw something on Youtube doesn't mean that he should go do it. Do people watch Danny Macaskill vids and rush out to buy an Inspired bike thinking they'll be able to replicate his riding? Probably not, though I can't rule it out completely since some people are that dumb. And the same thing applies here, just cause we saw someone on a 29'er do it by no means implies that one of us can do it or that the bike can stand up to it. All you can take away from the vids is that someone did it, and the bike held together for that run.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Do people watch Danny Macaskill vids and rush out to buy an Inspired bike thinking they'll be able to replicate his riding? Probably not, though I can't rule it out completely since some people are that dumb.
    /crosses Inspired bike off wish-list...

mtbr member
    i love seeing 29ers catching any amount of air. awesome. looked like you guys were having fun

thanks for sharing!
    Gary Fisher HiFi Deluxe 29er

humber river advocate
    sc is ok, transition bikes just seem to fit me better. i also feel that the bandit 29 will have more clearence for studded tires. i've also never been a huge fan of the bottom linkage that sc has. even with the grease fitting i've gone through several sets. i would never use this bike for any downhill (the m9 is for that). though as a second bike for more enduro type rides it will work well. i think it would handle doing small drops/gaps no problem as well as being a good winter bike. i'm very interested to see what trail features will work with the bike. if changing the jump will improve it's flight capabilities. after all we learned from the bmxer's, then the dirt jumpers, and so on...

This is something I was actually thinking about when I posted the vid, but didn't want to dig in until it was (sort of) alluded to; the bike is not at all being used for its intended purpose in this vid! Even Transition stongly implies this with the "he couldn't break it" at the end. It is a 5.5lbs (claimed) frame. It has 5" travel. This makes it LIGHTER significantly than my 2005 SC Blur which had 26" wheels and they sure as heck weren't marketing it as a big hit type bike. Or about the same weight as my 2009 Fisher Hifi 29 that I would never have considered for a moment putting up to that kind of abuse. Are Transition's engineers really that much better than Trek's? Same thing goes for the Tallboy and Seb Kemp Whistler media coverage....while it is undoubtedly possible to ride these bikes to their absolute limit, should the averthing downhill age paying customer be given the impression through a few viral vids that the bikes are built to take this abuse when they really are not?

PS Singlesprocket have you considered the Alum. Tallboy or are you over your SC kick? Yeti SB-95 should be dropping soon, too. No (edit: practical) bottle cage mount though so will not do for XC weenies like myself.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast