Muskoka

Ventana Tandem and The Torrance Barrens [o]

My dog Blue and I rode The Torrance Barrens today. Joining us were JC and AC on their Ventana Tandem. So I'm thinkin'...this has to be good for a few pics!

Dorkimus Prime
    That's a nice ride. Double entendre intended.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

humber river advocate
    tandems are sick!
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

pin it
    Rockin' the tandem on the rocks!

Nice day for a ride.....
    Nice pics...... interesting mountain tandem. Gets me in the mood to finish the resto on the old CCM Tandem of mine.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Muskoka
    deleted
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 10-05-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Evil Jr.
    It would have been tricky getting over that bridge with that bike! Wow!

Question: has anyone ever seen a couple on a tandem where the woman wasn't the stoker? Of all the people I know that have them, the guy's always the one driving.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post

Question: has anyone ever seen a couple on a tandem where the woman wasn't the stoker? Of all the people I know that have them, the guy's always the one driving.
    Only variation was a Sunday group ride. 2 women as the stoker female was blind. But the pilot was female.

It's really about height. The taller person has to be in the front. So as on average the woman being smaller of stature they have to go to the back. There is also the discomfort factor... if the positions where reversed the guy would be breathing down the guirl's neck or the woman would feel uncomfortable with the guy's head continously being close her butt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Nice pics, you should post them on photo forums.
    The tandem is awesome, I am just getting into tandems myself but we don't have anything like that yet.
    Pete
    "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!!!"
    www.pete.3rdtrick.com
    http://www.3rdtrickforum.com

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    It's really about height. The taller person has to be in the front. So as on average the woman being smaller of stature they have to go to the back. There is also the discomfort factor... if the positions where reversed the guy would be breathing down the guirl's neck or the woman would feel uncomfortable with the guy's head continously being close her butt.
    Why does the taller person need to be in front? This seems like poor design - wouldn't the stoker want to be able to see what's going on? I wouldn't mind having Mr. Monster close to me, but I'd have a really hard time relinquishing control of the bike. Trust me - we tried and I HATED it.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    It would have been tricky getting over that bridge with that bike! Wow!
    \

The bridge would have been tricky, as was a lot of the other stuff. The line coming off the rocks onto the bridge is pretty sketchy and tight too. Get it wrong and you are in the drink!!
    I couldn't believe they cleaned one of the climbs up a longish rock face with several narrow ledges and transitions! The bike weighs 68lb plus you have the second rider on board...JC did mention that this is an incredible upper body workout since you are constantly muscling the bike around as you set up for whatever is coming at you next!!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Why does the taller person need to be in front? This seems like poor design - wouldn't the stoker want to be able to see what's going on? I wouldn't mind having Mr. Monster close to me, but I'd have a really hard time relinquishing control of the bike. Trust me - we tried and I HATED it.
    On a road tandem it's about the reality of wind.

Control is a big factor.

As I mentioned previously about where the stokers head position. If the two are of similar stature it can work. But the majority of women are smaller in height then their partner. So basically picture Marc behind you at my height... would you be comfortable with him prettty much being a half inch from your chamois? Sorry.. I can't word that any better.

Muskoka
    On a mountain tandem, upper body strength is probably a big factor as well...as per my post above.

mtbr member
    JC is, or was a Slowspoke. I think he came up with the name for us.
    I have been on a tandem with him, we raced another couple of Spokes on the Niagara Parkway, I out weighed him by a bit and it was a handful with me on the back.
    My wife and I have a tandem and she has tried a few times to captain but it is very difficult with me as stoker, she does fine with either of my daughters.
    It's mostly weight,

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Smile tndmnuts

I am lucky enough to have an amazing wife who is fearless on the back of the tandem. At 66 years of age she provides the main power for propelling this big bike up some steep ascents. Fortunately for me she can leg press 1200 lbs!

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by tndmnuts View Post
    I am lucky enough to have an amazing wife who is fearless on the back of the tandem. At 66 years of age she provides the main power for propelling this big bike up some steep ascents. Fortunately for me she can leg press 1200 lbs!
    +Rep for you and your wife! (once you figure out what rep means on the mtbr.com forum )

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Near north View Post
    JC is, or was a Slowspoke. I think he came up with the name for us.
    I have been on a tandem with him, we raced another couple of Spokes on the Niagara Parkway, I out weighed him by a bit and it was a handful with me on the back.
    My wife and I have a tandem and she has tried a few times to captain but it is very difficult with me as stoker, she does fine with either of my daughters.
    It's mostly weight,
    Just realized you need some +rep also for the tandem stuff.

Muskoka
    Nice to see you two getting back into some off-road riding. How did your Buckwallow tandem ride go last weekend?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Good job! Off Road again

;
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Nice to see you two getting back into some off-road riding. How did your Buckwallow tandem ride go last weekend?
    Great off road ride at Buckwallow on the tandem. I dropped her off the back once, sorry honey, when we hit a rock drop off and someone had moved the rock stepladder that allows a safe descent. Luckily she wasn't hurt and wanted to ride for another hour! If only the Pugsley came in a tandem option!

Muskoka
    If only the Pugsley came in a tandem option!
    Would you import a Sandman Outback? No doubt ridiculously expensive!!
    Sandman Outback tandem