Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Uxbridge Icebreaker

Has anyone been in Durham Forrest recently? Would have been interesting if the event would have been run at its usual time of the year. Does someone at BikeNXS have a crystal ball?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt 24 solo
    Has anyone been in Durham Forrest recently? Would have been interesting if the event would have been run at its usual time of the year. Does someone at BikeNXS have a crystal ball?
    What do you mean? I think they are only running it a week later this year? I haven't rode it in a few years but I always remember it being the first weekend in April. Should be a good run this year!!!

Gears, beers and slices..
    The dates have been all over the place the last 7 years - though it's about 2 weeks later than last year, running it around this time of year is nothing new.

2002 - April 5
    2003 - March 30
    2004 - March 28
    2005 - April 10
    2006 - March 26
    2007 - April 1
    2008 - April 13

NormalNorm
    Anyone know how much snow is still left in Durham Forest? Not sure to bring out the studs or knobbies. Just starting to see some green down in the GTA. It's not that far away people.

I wouldn't think studs would do much unless there is a deep freeze before then. Maybe not the year for the cross bikes either.

Whatever snow is left (and there may be lots) is likely going to be really soft. I would think that a set of big fat knobbies would be the tire of choice...2.1's or maybe even 2.3's of you can bum a set off a downhiller buddy. There just may be enough advantage gained by being able to pedal the singletrack to make up for the lost time on the fireroads. Who knows - either way, it'll be interesting.

Slick Rick
    I'm going to check this out! It will be my first time though - not sure what to expect.

mtbr member
    May 2007

Trail Conditions Last Sunday

I was at the Durham Forest last Sunday for a cross country ski. There was about 4-6 inches of snow with a frozen hard crust on top. The trails in the south western part were closed until March 31 as they were harvesting the forest. The large machines left a mess of large frozen ruts. I broke a ski in this section and had to walk back to the truck where I did see several people with bikes heading out. I think with the warmer weather this week that the frozen crust on top will probably have turned to mush.

Enjoy.....

mtbr member
    /\ Sounds horrible, haha.

mtbr member
    Looks like ths snow will go quickly with the weather. The guys from BikeNXS usually put a trail report up a few days before the event. May have more mud be worse than last year?

Unfortunately more mud isn't exactly great for the trail system. Though I enjoy the race, running the race in the usual conditions is something I've never understood about this race.

The MTB community preaches trail conservation, and the number one rule is that if it's muddy don't ride because we're doing greater damage the the trail. However, we don't seem to be living by that practice when it comes to races like the IceBreaker.

Slick Rick
    I'm wondering if running a rear fender for this would be a good idea...

If you're looking for a good idea, spray your tubes with a nice coating of PAM. This is a trick many WC racers use when they get to really muddy conditions - it stops them from carrying along another 5lbs of mud on the bike.

mtbr member
    The crazy mud conditions of last year was the reason they pushed the event back two weeks hoping the ground would be dried up. I guess the guys at BikeNXS can't predict the weather any better than the weatherman.

It will be interesting to see how much single track will be put in this year. If they can find it under the snow!!

A fender is nice for keeping your back clean but one more place for mud to collect. The decsion will be cross bike or mountain bike.

Slick Rick
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizza_Royale
    If you're looking for a good idea, spray your tubes with a nice coating of PAM. This is a trick many WC racers use when they get to really muddy conditions - it stops them from carrying along another 5lbs of mud on the bike.
    do you mean tires?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I don't think you have to worry about mud too much. I was up there this morning, Durham Forest is still all snow!!! packed down and Icy!!! I think the only mud we'll see is on the fire roads! The main entrance into main tract is all ice and corn snow!! I think there'll be a lot of hike-a-bike sections this year that is unless the folks at bikenxs post pone the run for a week.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

First time racing

Man, I signed of for this a few months ago thinking this would be a good race for someone that's never raced before. I'm doing the 25k course. My goal was just to have fun and not come in last. Is this the right race for me or should I abort now and look for another one?

THANKS

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jman78
    Man, I signed of for this a few months ago thinking this would be a good race for someone that's never raced before. I'm doing the 25k course. My goal was just to have fun and not come in last. Is this right race for me or should I abort now and look for another one?

THANKS
    I don't think anybody is going to tell you not to race. Just try to get in a few good rides before then, so that you don't suffer too much.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Man, I signed of for this a few months ago thinking this would be a good race for someone that's never raced before. I'm doing the 25k course. My goal was just to have fun and not come in last. Is this the right race for me or should I abort now and look for another one?

THANKS
    I've only ridden this one once before (back in 2000 I think) I did it cold from a person who hardly rode at all before this event!! It's a blast. You'll have a great time, no question about it!! Don't worry about the coming in last part. Finishing is the first thing! and finishing last is better than having a DNF next to your name!

If you want I can pace you, Just PM me and we'll find a spot to meet!

BTW: I hope you have toe spikes for your cycling shoes!!

As they say in the Ironman: "Don't tell the person who comes in last that they're not an Iron-man!!! "

NormalNorm
    THANKS
    This was my first race also.....10 years ago. I remember being nervous too. Since then i have probably raced at least 75-100 times(still get abit nervous). Yeah, i'm slow but its about pushing "my" limits. You seem to find extra strength when your in a race.

I would highly recommend this race. I wouldnt abort it. If your not sure, just take your time and have fun.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    All right, I'm pumped and ready to go!! Thanks for the encouragement.

Since I'm doing the 25k race, is it necessary to bring an extra chain,tubes,pump, and tools, or should I just bring my water bottle and hope for the best?

NormalNorm
    All right, I'm pumped and ready to go!! Thanks for the encouragement.

Since I'm doing the 25k race, is it necessary to bring an extra chain,tubes,pump, and tools, or should I just bring my water bottle and hope for the best?

I would bring a few spare chain links, a chain breaker, spare tube, pump, multi tool, and water.

If something major happens, there will be marshalls on the course to make sure you get back to the starting line.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

New question here.

Does anyone know if this race will be run regardless of the trail conditions?
    Have they postponed in the past?

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    If I recall correctly, it was postponed two years ago when we got hit with a pile of snow the night before the race. Some people didn't check the website that morning and ended up driving all the way there only to find out that it was a no go.
    Bummer!
    High on Life

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl
    If I recall correctly, it was postponed two years ago when we got hit with a pile of snow the night before the race. Some people didn't check the website that morning and ended up driving all the way there only to find out that it was a no go.
    Bummer!
    That would suck.
    It's over a 2 hour drive for me and I am signed up for the race.
    I guess I'll have to check the website before leaving.

If anyone hears if it is postponed or possibly could be please post up.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

veldrijder
    Weather forecast is calling for a sharp dip in temperatures on Friday possibly accompanied by some snow. I'm not looking forward to that...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast