Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

USADA Doping Statement

11K views 177 replies 31 participants last post by  SkidVicious 
#1 ·
#2 ·
As a result, six of Armstrong's former teammates have been suspended by the anti-doping agency. Levi Leipheimer (Omega Pharma-QuickStep), Christian Vande Velde (Garmin-Sharp), David Zabriskie (Garmin-Sharp), Tom Danielson (Garmin-Sharp), Michael Barry (Sky) and George Hincapie (BMC) have been given bans that may be backdated. If a suspension of six months is ratified then each rider could return to racing by the time of Paris-Nice, next Spring.

This is going to get interesting.

Lance must be hurdling together his all-star legal and PR team.

#9 ·
this is much bigger than a life ban

on Lance... way bigger than him or anyone else involved...

first - shows that no one is bigger than the sport... Lance thought he was...

second - shows that you may run for a while, but you will be caught cheating...

third - there may be a chance that younger athletes realize it is not worth it and level the playing field from the get go... tough chance, but after reading the summary - there may be a chance... prior to this - I didn't believe there was...

I am sure Circlip will elaborate way more eloquently...

#8 ·
it is very adequate...

encouraging that all the top riders, including our very own Michael - what a surprise... he was in Toronto a month ago, riding for charity and I passed on the opportunity...

Well, this is substantial enough to cause some big change in the world of sports, I think...

I wish I had time to read all 1000 pages of evidence...

UCI - your turn...

#12 ·
My 5 year old came home once welling up with tears, he cried, "Jack says all of my toys suck!"

Later that night he said, "Dad, Jack is just jealous".

What we have here is a dozen or so Jacks jealous of THE MAN.

Bicycling just had an article describing how Lance's seven 1st losers (second place finishers) are all caught dopers too! The playing field was level at the top. Put an asterisk by the doping year's records and move on with it.

The most illegal thing Lance ever did was probably with the Olsen twins...

#19 ·
Lance is a drop in the bucket compared to the damage this will do to ASO and UCI. the scandalpot isn't even close to a boil. This is going to be the biggest shame to France since Petain.

More amusing to me is how people still deify lance, he's just a guy that rides bikes: irrelevant in the grand scheme, and I'm miffed by the fact that people are happy for him that he scored with an anorexic that has the same sex appeal as a pile of cedar mulch. yes, he`s the best cheater

Anyhoo, I think Lance is an example of "how the world really works", the fantasy is more important than the reality...

He`ll always has his cancer jesus gig...

Reactions: osokolo
#20 ·
Lance is a drop in the bucket compared to the damage this will do to ASO and UCI. the scandalpot isn't even close to a boil. This is going to be the biggest shame to France since Petain.
don't care about France to be honest - but UCI has to be rebuilt... going after the journalist and suing him for libel or what not - shame in UCI... bunch of crooks...

More amusing to me is how people still deify lance, he's just a guy that rides bikes: irrelevant in the grand scheme, and I'm miffed by the fact that people are happy for him that he scored with an anorexic that has the same sex appeal as a pile of cedar mulch. yes, he`s the best cheater
priceless... LOL... :thumbsup:

Anyhoo, I think Lance is an example of "how the world really works", the fantasy is more important than the reality...

He`ll always has his cancer jesus gig...
this is truth... scary...

#27 ·
Thing about Lance being stripped of his wins.. Who cares?

If he did dope, he robbed whoever the "rightful" winner should have been. Sure, you could write his name in the books, but he doesn't get any of the proper glory that would have come from a win. And with several of the 2nd place or 3rd place riders being caught earlier, the whole podium looks questionable at best.

A win after the fact isn't a win.

Make them piss before they ride. If they pass, they ride. Don't give me someone else's trophy 10 years later and tell me I win. That's weak.

#30 ·
Here is some advice for USADA: concentrate on today and the future, because going back all those years is a waste of time and money. Strictly speaking you will have to get rid of "winners" until you hit the guy who was not tested at all. What exactly is the point? We know that Lance and everyone else doped. Let it go.

#31 ·
Here is some advice for USADA: concentrate on today and the future, because going back all those years is a waste of time and money.
Yet, that's exactly what they've done and are doing with Armstrong. The case wasn't just about him, even though he's hogging all the media headlines as one might expect. The charging document was for five people in total - Armstrong, three team doctors, and one very notable team director (Johan Bruyneel). At the time of the charges, Armstrong was still actively competing in triathlon events that were under USADA's anti-doping portfolio, and the rest were still actively involved with teams and riders in professional cycling. In addition, several other riders on the witness list have now been sanctioned also, several of whom gave testimony about how they were partially complicit in having other riders start down the path of doping. They couldn't tackle any of this machine without going after Armstrong at the same time. They couldn't allow Armstrong to beat the rap, because then it disproves the case against the rest.

After reviewing the above tell me again how charging and sanctioning Armstrong isn't about today and the future.

#32 ·
Remember when

Floyd Landis went public with allegations of doping against US Postal a couple of years back and everyone dismissed it as sour grapes/false? No irony there....

Maybe Floyd should get some props now for having the cojones to go public with this information back then? Thoughts?

#33 ·
Floyd Landis went public with allegations of doping against US Postal a couple of years back and everyone dismissed it as sour grapes/false? No irony there....

Maybe Floyd should get some props now for having the cojones to go public with this information back then? Thoughts?
USADA freely states that it was Landis' whistle blowing that kicked off the whole investigation. BTW not everyone though it was false, despite his prior history of deception. However, I think if you went back to review the entire circumstances of Landis' story, you'd find it was not so altruistic. He was essentially trying to blackmail Armstrong's team into giving him a contract as a rider. They wouldn't, and that was the final straw that left Landis with essentially no life, at which point he went sort of "postal" (pat myself on back for ironic use of word postal in this context) and adopted an approach of burn it all down.

#45 ·
It has been an interesting week.

I'm not at all surprised by the content of any of the confessions and allegations of PED use.

I am astonished, however, that the confessions and allegations are being made.

Now, I wonder if anyone else has anything they'd like to tell us.

#46 ·
It does make you wonder exactly how USADA got so many of those affidavits. For people like Landis and Hamilton, they were probably just tired of being singled out for something they knew so many other people were up to. For others with way more to lose (Hincapie, et. al.), it's not so clear. :skep:

In my mind, I imagine USADA going on a big fishing expedition. "We can do this the easy way or the hard way. We have evidence (we're not saying what, exactly) and you can come clean with us and work out a deal or you can try to hide. The choice is yours..." :eek:

#58 ·
Lance played this wrong. He should have went the route of:

Tearful public confession > interview on 60 minutes/Oprah/whatever > book deal > movie deal > take on doping with the same enthusiasm he took on the fight against cancer.

#59 ·
I don't think so. He stuck to his guns. The old mantra, "No confession, no case".

It is actually sad how this army of insignificant people will fail to dent Lance's legacy of triumph. It is very fitting that he rode underneath the Arc de Triomphe, as Boss, seven times.

Cycling had a problem. God willing, it seems to be busted up. Some got caught, some didn't.

Regardless, Lance is still a Champion. Always will be.

I hope Tyler Hamilton's sad fragment of a life yields him enough money to feed his dog. Sad to see an animal suffer at the hands of a rat.

#61 ·
Circlip, in the hopes of more + (POSITIVE) rep, I'm gonna keep going.

My Wife calls me a conspiracy theorist. Please keep that in mind.

Also, I do not like Republicans.

However, sadly, I believe this to be political. If Lance was one of Barrack's rapper/moviestar/rockstar supporters, he wouldn't be going through this now. The US of America has pissed away plenty of money since galloping into Viet Nam. They don't need to be wasting the USADA's cash now.

If Lance wasn't Republican. If Lance hadn't dared to ride his bike with a fallen President, who had dug his own grave. If Lance hadn't been a large financial contributor to a political party that seems borderline insane, he wouldn't be in the headlines right now.

If Lance was like Jay-Z or Eddie Vedder and had chosen a different political affiliation, he would be kicking back, sucking on an Olsen.

Let me think hard about this...

Lance's legacy paraphrased:

Great young American cyclist. Dealt a crappy, almost always fatal hand - The lung, noggen and ball cancer. Comes back leaner, faster, stronger.

Wins the World's greatest race, against an even playing field, year after year, for what seemed like my entire adult life.

My Dad had cancer. The tumour he had is still, 40 years later, wrapped around his spine. That dead piece of cancer strangled my Father's spine for so long that now he can't walk. But for years, he walked funny, skated even worse, but still coached me and half of the other hockey player's in St. John's. Barely being able to safely traverse a sheet of ice didn't keep him from parenting, or volunteering. He is a Champion too. Lance gave all of cancer's Champions a face, The Headlines, the attention they deserve.

Cancer is personal. And it is bad. It is like cockroaches, or mice, or any plague. But it is in our bodies. It comes after, and sometimes takes, the ones we love. Our parents. Our children.

Travis Tygart. You are charged with the wreckless pursuit of our hero. Our inspiration. You Obama flunky, close your eyes for a minute, pretend Lance is Beyonce, and leave him alone. You are a Democrat hitman. And you are charged with waging a war against Lance that cannot be won.

Good luck.

Reactions: Unglued
#62 ·
You have this backwards. Before the USADA investigation into USPS, there was the U.S. Department of Justice federal investigation into same, but for criminal charges of fraud, money laundering, racketeering, and similar. The case was ordered close (apparently much to the surprise of the investigators who thought they had it nailed) without explanation by Democratic political appointee Andre Birotte, a U.S. Attorney. The conspiracy theorist in you might have some fun with a bit of web research on this topic.

BTW, sorry to hear about your father. Like most people I have had family experience with cancer - several times - in some cases with horrible outcomes that many others have either experienced themselves or with people close to them. However, I don't choose to tie their experiences with Armstrong in anything more than a fleeting way. I'd judge their qualities as people to be far superior to Armstrong, just not as famous or wealthy.

#64 · (Edited)
Lance is still a Champion. Always will be.
yup, Lance Amrstrong: 1993 Men's Road Race World Champion. since that`s the only title he can keep, technically you are correct.

edit...very interesting read, i always liked hamilton, way more hardcore than armstrong imho...Cookies must be enabled | Herald Sun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.