mtbr member
    Jun 2009

US Address in buffalo?

Im buying a bike online, and they only ship to the US. Has anyone here ever used US Address or know anything about it? Is it sketchy, or can I safely send my stuff there?

Thanks

Slick Rick
    Which bike?

They are fine, plenty of people use that service.
    www.trailburn.ca
    2012 Norco Truax 2

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    the rocky mountain altitude 70 on jenson.... too good of a deal to pass up

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've used them a number of times. Never let me down. UPS store is another option. They charge more, but are open later.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I have used CBI in Niagara Falls, NY and they are great. They are located 5 minutes from the Rainbow bridge. You only need to have your product ship to them with your name and phone # on the adress section and they call you when your product is in, no need to let them know and it only cost $5 or $10. When you arrive close to the building and notice all the car parked with Ontario plate, you are there. Here is the link

http://www.cbiusa.com/

mtbr member
    My favourite to use is Larry at http://www.theshippinghq.com. $5 per package no matter how big. Tell him a package his coming via email, he will say no problem, send him your tracking number and he'll email you the minute its in. Been down many times to pick things up or even ship entire bikes so we didn't have to fly with them, and hes been great. Really nice guy!

mtbr member
    I used US Address Inc. for my Stan's No Tubes wheels and they were great.

$5 and right past the Queenston-Lewiston bridge.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    You can have packages shipped to and held for p/u free at any UPS customer service center. ups.com will give locations and hours.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    +1 for CBI - Dave is great (and the guys and gals that work there) - and I've seen all sorts of stuff delivered there - everything from tires, to exhausts, mopeds, ATV's, a buddy's Z50, he's even received an old Mustang for someone.

Never any rush to get your stuff and they are always polite. They have tables where you can open your packages, bins for the stuffing, etc...

My only suggestion is if you are going on a Sat they close at 12 I think, so be prepared to stand in line as that is probably their busiest day! all the license plates will be Ontario outside his doors!

I just had a bunch of parts delivered there, took my old FS down with me and removed various parts. Picked up my stuff, drove over to Goat Island and took my time putting the new parts on the old bike. Came back across the border and told the Customs Dude I wanted to check out the Falls from their side - even told him they were not as nice, and took a ride around Goat Island - and froze! he chuckled and told me to have a nice day!

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

They say I have a problem
    What do you guys state when you are crossing the border?? Do you tell the truth or do you make up a story...

Just curious about getting stuff across, either way...I might end up using the service for shipping a bike/frame to the US...
    "The meek shall inherit the earth"

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506
    What do you guys state when you are crossing the border?? Do you tell the truth or do you make up a story...
    Entrapment!!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rbart4506

Just curious about getting stuff across, either way...I might end up using the service for shipping a bike/frame to the US...
    Going over is easy they don't usually care what you bring as long as they are not firearms, alcohol, and meat!

A had a bike part pick up to do a few months ago and a buddy came with me. He's a drywaller and had a job to do on the way. So we had all his tools, a bucket of mud, drop cloths, and both our bikes! A site for sure! The Rainbow Bridge crossing was busy so they had customs guys roaming the lines.

We got pre-checked in line, the guy didn't care about all the drywall tools, but I know they are very restrictive on foreigners working there.

When we got to the booth that customs guy asked about the tools, he was surprised the other guy let us by, so he did as well. He didn't give a rats ass about the bikes!

In short, take the bike across and sell it. If anything I'd not put it in the box, I'd flatten the box and pack it over there.

D

Evil Jr.
    When I cross into the States for work, I often bring a bike with me. (Anything is better than sitting in the hotel watching Fox News <-CLICK HERE. ) Once in a while, on the way back, I'll get a border guard that gets shirty that I didn't "register" the bike when I crossed. "How do I know you didn't buy it in the US?"

"Um, it's filthy?"
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    When I cross into the States for work, I often bring a bike with me. (Anything is better than sitting in the hotel watching Fox News <-CLICK HERE. ) Once in a while, on the way back, I'll get a border guard that gets shirty that I didn't "register" the bike when I crossed. "How do I know you didn't buy it in the US?"

"Um, it's filthy?"
    See, that's what gets me. You can take all sorts of stuff over to the US (aside from meat, guns and alcohol easily - can you tell I have been stopped with sandwich meat before!! ) but coming back to our good ole' Canada you can't even bring back a pair of new underwear without theoretically claiming it!

D

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Good job! Island Ship Center

I use a shipping center 7 minutes from Niagara Falls and they have many satisfied Canadian clients, who have their items shipped for a flat $2.50 fee for up to 50 lbs. You can give them a try when you need to have something shipped within the US for pickup at our facility. The site is IslandShipCenter.com and the number is 716-773-6300.

The guys are really friendly and they package a lot of large items, including many bikes. I went in there once and they were packaging an old Trek for shipping to Florida.

A lot of car parts get shipped there too, which are ordered by Canadians and then picked up. They hold them for up to a week for the flat fee. No membership is required.

Rep'n the 905
    Jun 2012
    I literally did this on Friday.
    My buddy bought an Airborne bike and had it sent to CBI, right across the Niagara boarder. Its super close and the people there were real friendly. It cost my buddy $10 I think cause it was a bigger size box.

As for the boarder crossing.......
    On the way in we told the guy we were going to CBI to grab a bike (so we were 100% truthful) he couldnt have cared less.

On the way back into Canada again my buddy was 100% truthful, guy made us roll down the back window, asked for the invoice for the bike (which my buddy printed out at CBI) He then was asked to pull into the station where he had to pay HST on the bike only. No extra duties or anything. My buddy was really worried about it so a week before we went he called the boarder and he was told if the bike was made/built in the US there is a NAFTA agreement that waives duties, but if the bike is made in China or other countries then it was subject to tax and duties.

Basically my buddy got away with paying half of what he could have had to pay. Thats with being 100% honest and showing a receipt with the real prices.

After we crossed we wondered if you just got a reciept that showed a much cheaper amount maybe you wouldnt have to pay much at all?? **do this at your own risk**