mtbr member
    Dec 2006

University Cup vs. Ontario Cup competitiveness

Who's done both? How does sport class at O cup compare to Category A at U cups? I realize the top guys in cat A are elite level riders at the O cups, but how does the rest of the field found in cat A compare to O-cup categories?

Say for example one could hang in the bottom quarter of the field in cat A at U cups, how would they do in sport class at O cups?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    I was a mid pack sport racer last season and I also raced in the UCUPS. Hopefully this will help. Assuming 50 racers in A category of a given UCUP (which is on the optimistic side), you should expect to see something like this:

1-8 (Elite/Top Expert)
    9-20 (Top Sport-Mid Pack Expert)
    21-35 (Mid Pack Sport)
    36-50 (Other)

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Thanks Dmytro. It's not as 'optimistic' as I had hoped tho

rad to the power of sick
    UCups are easier by virtue of the race distances being shorter, and the fact that the races happen during cross season and many of the faster Ocup guys and gals are preoccupied with those.

Dmytro's comparison is pretty accurate id say.. I race mid field expert on a good day, and i usually fall between 7th and 12th in the UCups.

What school do you race for?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I race for UWO. This fall was my first time racing U-cups. My best finish was Boler, 28/35. I' want to race all the O-cups this summer and posted this thread to see if I'd competitive in sport class.