mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Turkey Point Conditions

Jan 17 /13
    Went for a ride at TP today, starting from the Mole Side Road entrance. Bumped into Kenny from the TPMTB Club who warned me it was treacherous. The rain and melt last week has frozen into a river of ice what had been compacted snow in place on the trails and last night there was a 1 to 2 inches of snow that fell on top... Bottom line is it is very sketchy!

I rode "Big Mike" in the tracks of 2 fat bikes and as long as you were very smooth, didn't lean in to corners or do anything more than drag the brakes you could stay upright. I wiped out at least 10 times, including a couple times on the road / sheet of ice that goes from Mole SR over to the entrance of "Saudwinder" and "The Burn". Both had the same sheet of ice under them. It was obvious the fatties had also wiped out a bunch of times so they're not a saving grace either.

Bottom line, at least for now, the only way you're likely to stay upright at TP is with the dreaded spiked tire!

I'll be waiting for a slight thaw to melt the snow and ice together before attempting it again... Please update with further results.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy - lovin' the full squish 29'r!

Nice day for a ride.....
    TP has been a skating rink for a couple of weeks now and will most likely stay that way until spring unless we get a big melt before then. Its been like this the last couple of years with the increased winter traffic packing the trails down into ice and the warm to cold snaps we've had. A fatty with studded tires is the way to go right now. I just keep to the roads on my CX bike this time of year. Everything usually melts off by end of March - early April.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Workin for the weekend!
    Spiked tires FTW!
    Todd