humber river advocate

tre bon quebec city

great ride today ... nice hotel in the old part of town...

ruins

boom

horse...

the fuzz!

church

wood products

a chair..

some more art

native area in quebec city

cool rc helocopter

heading out for eats...

other pics

local eats...

yummmm!!!!

gawd that was good...

Last edited by singlesprocket; 05-19-2009 at 04:13 AM.

ups and downs
    It is a beautiful city...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

ups and downs
    and all sorts of great public art nestled between the buildings

quebec 08 flickr36.jpg

quebec 08 flickr78.jpg

and on buildings

quebec 08 flickr72.jpg

and more cannons than you can shake a stick at

quebec 08 flickr74.jpg

humber river advocate
    cool pics, love the art work all over the city... great place to explore on bikes due to the extensive network of bike paths...

some handy info...

if you like good chicken, this is awesome sauce!
    http://www.chez-ashton.com/prod.php?prod=1&subprod=7
    Last edited by singlesprocket; 05-19-2009 at 04:39 AM.

ups and downs
    It has a much more European approach to public liability too. A sign indicating that you're pretty much on your own if you do something stupid, rather than putting a 6' chainlink fence around it.

quebec 08 flickr5.jpg

It is one of the most bike friendly places I've been to, likely a bit ahead of Portland Oregon. I didn't get a picture of it, but when I was there last summer, there was some older dude zipping around old Quebec City on an electric assist bike, the guy was flying up the hills. The first time I saw him it looked like panniers, but when I saw him go up a hill without his legs in a blur I figured out there was some technical magic at play.

Did I mention the cannons...

quebec 08 flickr23.jpg

quebec 08 flickr24.jpg

quebec 08 flickr39.jpg

quebec 08 flickr34.jpg

bi-winning
    Quebec City is magnificent. I only spent a day there, and would not mind going back.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

ups and downs
    You get a real sense of age and history, especially when the stone in the fort walls is developing stalactites...

quebec 08 flickr57.jpg

...and did I mention cannons? They have a nifty artillery museum

quebec 08 flickr47.jpg

quebec 08 flickr75.jpg

ups and downs
    They also have the véloroute Marie-Hélène Prémont which connects the eastern side of Quebec City with the communities 55km east. It's a real off-the-highway bike route that takes you out past Mont Sainte Anne. You can ride out to the Parc de la Chute-Montmorency.

Do you suppose the GTA might name a bike route after Emily Batty if she does as well in World Cup races as Prémont has?

My impression was that there's more awareness and interest in fitness and the outdoors in that area around Quebec City and east toward Mont Sainte Anne.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rockyuphill; 05-19-2009 at 07:13 AM.

xx = xtr²
    I live in Quebec city, I see 50% of the things you have pics of everyday when i go to school Glad to hear that you liked it. I don,t know how long you will stay but my club is organizing a race at mont-saint-anne on may 31st, we are gonna prepare the trail on may 24. I agree with rocky, you should do the véloroute marie-hélène prémont, i train there almost every day and it's never boring. you can try to climb all the 574 stairs of the chute montmorency with your bike on the shoulder, loads of fun... You could also do a lap of the ile d'orléans, it is very nice but it is 74km and if you wait after noon to do it the wind will kill you, i did it last week, 1 hour to do half of it, 2.5 hours to do the rest with wind in my face. if you follow the Véloroute, going from the chutes montmorency to MSA is aproximatly 40km but the wind is helping you.

P.S. if you decide to go down from the véloroute to the boulevard saint-anne by the Côte de l'église, don't go faster than 60km/h unless you want to slip on some sand and stay 3 weeks in an hospital...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yup, Quebec City is an incredible place to visit. One of my faves.
    Thanks for sharing all the pics! If I knew how to post them, I would ad a few of my own of Old Quebec City. Just a gorgeous place!
    Last edited by racergurl; 05-19-2009 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Spelling
    High on Life

humber river advocate
    we will be back to mount saint anne for downhilling in the fall. we rode the trails there on sunday. i was surprised by the number of tree's down and the amount of moose tracks/poop.

across from the hotel we stayed at http://www.oricom.ca/belley/ ($95 a night, really nice room) we kept seeing this cool electric public bus you can ride for free (great concept)

and a fitting last picture

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by Zakarina
    P.S. if you decide to go down from the véloroute to the boulevard saint-anne by the Côte de l'église, don't go faster than 60km/h unless you want to slip on some sand and stay 3 weeks in an hospital...
    When you live in Vancouver it's easy to forget that most places in Canada have to sand the roads in the winter and it usually takes until July for it get cleaned up again.