Evil Jr.

Travis Brown's Leadville Bike

Travis was pulling super-domestique duty for Lance at Leadville on Saturday. The bike he rode has to be one of the most intriguing builds I've seen in a long time. Ultimate MONSTER-CROSS? You be the judge!

No photo hot linking but you can find the full VeloNews gallery here.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

bi-winning
    At first glance, it looked completely normal to me.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Live Free or Ride!
    Sweet ride. I think your "Ultimate Monster Cross" sums it up pretty well.
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

humber river advocate
    rehashing an old concept...

here's a hardtail:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_azFAa_gbQu..._large_150.jpg

gawd the trails are just getting to easy to ride if you need drop bars lol
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills MPAC
    will build trail for rep... give a rep today...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket
    Leadville is dirt, but not trail. It's got less than 1% singletrack...gravel and dirt road. That's why this isn't insane. And why you can actually draft your teammates on that course.

No. Just No. Moderator
    rehashing an old concept...

Jacquie Phelan was scorching NORBA races on drop bars way before Tomac started playing with that setup. Anyhow, it's all about the rider, not the bike. Not everyone needs to have their grips higher than their saddle to navigate technical terrain. Travis Brown, pilot of the rig from Leadville, could probably use that bike to clean just about all of our clocks on any trails that most well-skilled riders would consider challenging. Just sayin...

humber river advocate
    probally so back then. but then again nowdays probally not due to the wide spectrum of trails out there. plus jumping with drop bars really screws you up (tried it), your weight is way to forward and down better have a fullface cause it's real easy to knock out your teeth...
    Support TORBA
    Albion Hills MPAC

Evil Jr.
    Right you are!

Anyhow, I still think it's a neat build. Red levers, Dura Ace triple 39/30 with carbon bash ring and all the rest make it a neat frankenbike.

One thing I've learned about Travis is that when he asks Trek for something, they listen. Maybe we're looking at a prototype Trek monstercross? Stanger things have happened...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Having the right tool for the job certainly helps, but in the end it's still going to come down mostly to rider skill. Here's a local rider with good skills carving up a section on one of our local cyclocross courses through a small double and rhythm whoops, on a standad full rigid CX with the usual teensy weensy tires and drop bars. It would take some full-on freeride gnarl to make a smooth operator on a 5 & 5 bike look out of place, drop bars or not.

[IMG][/IMG]

Misfit Psycles
    judging by the mileage reports and course summaries i'd say that bike was spot on.
    despite TB's strengths, he probably needed whatevernthehell that set up shaved to tow the line for his team mate.

i certainly dont want homogenized cycling but i like seeing events where ONE BIKE is never enough.
    JAY CHALLENGE 2007 anyone???

as for the responses, i guess 'multiple discipline' is something you demand, not tolerate.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    Jacquie Phelan was scorching NORBA races on drop bars way before Tomac started playing with that setup. Anyhow, it's all about the rider, not the bike. Not everyone needs to have their grips higher than their saddle to navigate technical terrain. Travis Brown, pilot of the rig from Leadville, could probably use that bike to clean just about all of our clocks on any trails that most well-skilled riders would consider challenging. Just sayin...
    You forgot to mention, completely rigid.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

humber river advocate
    hee a pump track and bunny hop? though i must say it is fun playing on smooth trails with a cx

Support TORBA
    Albion Hills MPAC

No. Just No. Moderator
    hee a pump track and bunny hop? though i must say it is fun playing on smooth trails with a cx
    Sweet jump. Can you put shocks and pegs on that thing?

humber river advocate
    i guess he wished he had a full face...

Support TORBA
    Albion Hills MPAC

No. Just No. Moderator
    i guess he wished he had a full face...
    No doubt. Fork snap dude would have been off to the ER if most of the impact energy wasn't absorbed by the wide belt included with his standard issue hipster uniform.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip
    No doubt. Fork snap dude would have been off to the ER if most of the impact energy wasn't absorbed by the wide belt included with his standard issue hipster uniform.
    Silly hipsters, when will they ever learn that hi-ten is no good for bike parks. (Man, once you start this linking stuff, it's hard to stop! )

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Silly hipsters, when will they ever learn that hi-ten is no good for bike parks. (Man, once you start this linking stuff, it's hard to stop! )
    Careful. Your pure, unblemished link-o-mania may drive the masses into a frenzy.

Perhaps the new indoor park will issue wide belts for season pass holders in place of a member card?