mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Trails for cross bikes in 905/519 area

After riding P2A on my cross bike I wanted to explore some trails that would fit my bike and my skills. Any recommendations on trails in the 905/519 (west end) area aside from flat rail trails (which are ok for a bit, bet do get boring)?

i mountain biked at Albion and Mansfield many years ago, and I think I would be fine at Albion if I keep to the double track and less technical single track. Are there other trails that have an up-and-down profile like sections of the double track at Albion? When I do try Albion ill give the single track a shot to explore my abilities/limits.

i was thinking of the trails around Guelph Lake, Hilton Falls, Terra Cotta (close to home). Ontario trails thread above is good ref but not sure about cross.

thanks!

Lemmy Rules!
    Try the Red Hill Valley Trail in Stoney Creek.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Once they dry out, lot of the trails in Dundas Valley, like the Headwaters Trail, are good for a cross bike. If you were careful of the odd rocky/rooty spot, stay out of the hardwoods,I would think Puslinch would work.
    I know you said no rail trail but someone posted about a rail trail from Brantford to Port Dover that sounds like it would be interesting to try.
    A ride from the Hamilton Mountain, down the Radial trail, across the rail trail to Dundas Valley, up and down Spring Creek trail, the main loop, Headwaters Trail and back to the mountain is a great fitness ride and certainly not flat. For more climbing, include a fast ride up to Jerseyville on the rail trail.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    If you were careful of the odd rocky/rooty spot, stay out of the hardwoods,I would think Puslinch would work.
    Exactly as I was going to suggest - the pines and double track at Puslinch are a hoot on a cross bike. The rocky gnar in the hardwoods - not so much.

Guelph Lake can be good too. It's been a few years, but I've ridden the bike paths from Riverside Park out to Guelph Lake, and then rode the single track there.

Though, truth be told, most all buff singletrack can be fun on a cross bike. I've ridden the Don and trails along Etobicoke Creek with no problems. It is when things get rooty or rocky that it comes a chore.

mtbr member
    I saw some guys on cross bikes at Coulson's Hill a few years ago. I can only imagine how muddy it is there right now, but when it dries out there are some trails there that would be awesome for a cross bike. It would be a short loop though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks for the tips. I'm in Georgetown so Hamilton/Dundas area not too far. Have never been around there so ill do so e research on the trails mentioned and give it a shot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Guelph Lake is awesome on a cross bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xcyclist View Post
    Thanks for the tips. I'm in Georgetown so Hamilton/Dundas area not too far. Have never been around there so ill do so e research on the trails mentioned and give it a shot.
    AS was mentioned, but to confirm, Hamilton area, both east, but especially west is a CX bike meca. There is so much old rail bed, double track, and including some singletrack (which is for the most part no problem on a CX) you can connect up amazing rides. It's my favorite bike to ride locally.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Kerncliffe Park north of Burlington has some double track you may enjoy if you don't mind some challenging climbs.

Workin for the weekend!
    Dundas Valley, Monarch Trail. Go around 3 or 4 times, then pedal yer way out the rail trail...

humber river advocate
    you can head north to the belfountain trails from your location.

all depends how tech you want to get. there is a bunch of us that head out from bolton. we head north on the gravel roads then south on the trails. we just cut through albion, don't linger since we find the trails boring. there is also routes that you can take south from bolton. the clairville conservation area also makes a good starting point with trails and mups going all the way down to lake ontario.

we will be holding guided group rides in the near future that will show some of these routes as well as constructing trail networks that will start to fill in the gaps. there is even talk of setting up a randonneur route/race from lake simcoe to lake ontario along the heritage pathways/humber river. i'll post up more info as it becomes public...
    bolton trail info
    bmbc1st @ yahoo.com
    support TORBA
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

livin' large
    Just go North of Georgetown through Glen Williams, up 8th.9th, 0r !0th line, scottsdale farm has some trails you could do on a cross bike, work your way up to the grange, and play on some of the trails there, then hop over west and make your way back through the dirt roads and terra cotta and toast your efforts at the Crook to finish. Is what I would do with a cross bike, with my road bike i Have to modify this but its the general path.
    it tied the room together man!