db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Trails Burlington - Waterdown... just planning..

Changing jobs, which means after work riding at Palgrave will be tough (currently work in Brampton).
    My new job is in Burlington (I live in Mississauga) so thinking forward (yes slow day at the office - when it's your last days working at a company - nobody wants to give you something to do...)

I've started looking at Lukey's maps and see that there is a trail that starts at the King Rd. area and progresses west to Waterdown road. The image file is dated 2009 - have there been changes, additions, subtractions? What are these trails like?

Thanks for reading..

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    The trails are great... Lots of fun and techy and sometime narrow ups and downs as you progress across the ravines that bisect the escarpment. There are some areas where it gets and stays wet and gooey for an extended period (like at the lower portions of the trail around Grindstone Creek) but once that dries you can spend hours going across the escarpment, even connecting into Dundas Valley if you wish.

There's not a lot in the way of new trails but there are certainly areas that he didn't explore / map fully and don't get many riders (or foot traffic either).

Once you try them you can tell us how you think they compare to Palgrave.... I haven't been there (yet!) so I offer no comments.

Good luck with the new job and maybe the move.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy - lovin' the full squish 29'r!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by SparxFlyer View Post
    Once you try them you can tell us how you think they compare to Palgrave.... I haven't been there (yet!) so I offer no comments.
    Waterdown and Palgrave, while both great, are almost completely different. Palgrave has some tough spots but it's, um, "flowier" whereas Waterdown is "gruntier" (and way rockier).

Also, another fun thing to do is to ride off-road from Waterdown to Dundas although you'll be starved for light if you're doing "after work" rides.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Space for rent...
    There is also some fun riding to be had along Bronte Creek. South of Dundas is quite flat but to the north is somewhat similar to Palgrave...just not as long.
    It's only pain......

Workin for the weekend!
    The Waterdown trails start just east of Brant Street on the south side of Dundas... There is parking for a few cars there, you can ride all the way out to Hwy 6 and beyond if you're good.

mtbr member
    Something else to consider - Kelso, Hilton Falls and Halton Forest are only 15 minutes away from Burlington and are on your way home! (sort of)

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks.. Kelso, the falls - I know and have been there at one time or another - Halton Forest I don't know and will need to look up

Thanks again..

mtbr member
    Been there a pile of times, lots of variety... you'll have fun!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    The Waterdown trails start just east of Brant Street on the south side of Dundas... There is parking for a few cars there, you can ride all the way out to Hwy 6 and beyond if you're good.
    Do you have a map locating this parking lot?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by DragginBars View Post
    Do you have a map locating this parking lot?
    I'm pretty sure the parking he's refering to is just on area on the south side of dundas street just west of Brant street. It's just parking on the shoulder of the road. A lot of us in the area also park at bicycle works (LBS) in Waterdown and ride from there. They do group rides on wednesday nights that are open to anyone. that's a great way to learn the trail system.