Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Trail Work...........Fail

This log had a old ladder bridge that was dying and needed to be pulled or replaced. So someone pulled it.

Then went to all the effort to move dirt for a ramp on the left to create an easy route. Yet after putting all that work... fire up a chain saw. What was the point of wasting the effort if you are going to chain saw it any ways? The gnome was willing to move all that dirt on the left you only had to add more dirt to that and voila no need to fire up chain saws.

I swear some people do crap like this because it makes them feel good chain sawing stuff.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    I swear some people do crap like this because it makes them feel good chain sawing stuff.
    The trail segment is now compliant with standards of the NCBJU (National Coalition of Baby Jogger Users).

GAME ON!
    sweet. i love when i can ride my bike unimpeded down a smooth trail.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

L.D
    My Legs Hurt
    I saw that yesterday....and came to a dead stop. I haven't ridden the don in about a week, and I dont know if its just me, or it just got a hell lot smoother. Weren't there more roots in the section where you come off the steep short descent, and right back up? There was an off-camber section that seemed rootier before too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Clearly, the path on the right was chainsawed first, but the builder found it was still too technical and difficult since there's a marginal chance of catching a pedal on the log or clipping the tree with the handlebar, hence the need for an easier bypass trail on the left. I believe there's still work to be done on the bypass, it doesn't completely cover the log yet so they're probably going to get back to that soon.

On a more serious note, it was likely done by the same type of people who rather rudely told a couple of us that we weren't supposed to or "allowed" to go downhill on a certain section of trail, and that it was uphill only. Nevermind the fact that there are sizable berms on many of the turns to aid riders going downhill and that riders have been riding it in the downhill direction for at least the past 20 years.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    If one clips that tree with a handlebar they deserve it.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    If one clips that tree with a handlebar they deserve it.
    Why do you hate people who use 36" wide handlebars?

sock puppet

that and bikommuters on city bikes

with baskets.

heck, I may consider going rollerblading to the Don soon and enjoy the eye candy...

Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    The trail segment is now compliant with standards of the NCBJU (National Coalition of Baby Jogger Users).

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Why do you hate people who use 36" wide handlebars?
    If you don't have the skill to adjust body position or lean the right way to get past the tree then the pain from smacking said tree will be a exellent motivator.

mtbr member
    Probably the same people who make ride-arounds on the "advanced" trail. Or possibly the folks who have created ride-arounds for places where the trail passes over single tree roots.

Not only is he "easy" ride over very easy, but there is already a trail that rides around the entire log to the left of the picture. I (unfairly) assume that people don't want to be slowed down riding around features, so they mow a path straight through with chainsaws.

I now understand why some folks are allergic to the idea of "outsiders" riding "their" trails. Once a trail becomes popular, I imagine this kind of castration is inevitable.
    Last edited by raganwald; 09-11-2011 at 07:48 PM.

sock puppet

what makes you think that

the "outsider" did this dumb modification to the trail?

Quote Originally Posted by raganwald View Post
    I now understand why some folks are allergic to the idea of "outsiders" riding "their" trails. Once a trail becomes popular, I imagine this kind of castration is inevitable.

mtbr member
    I didn't say that, Oggie, I said that looking at this helps me I understand why some people are protective of the trails they care about. Nothing about that statement implies anything about who did this or whether I agree or disagree, just that I have empathy for people's feelings.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Once a trail becomes popular, I imagine this kind of castration is inevitable.
    Honest question: In how many places has this been confirmed to have occurred? I know it's happened at the Don many times and it's also taken place at Albion. Other than those two locations, where else has this kind of stuff gone down on a widespread scale?

sock puppet

Just trying to understand

this is what you said:

"I now understand why some folks are allergic to the idea of "outsiders" riding "their" trails."

To me, it implies that "outsiders" are doing the "damage".

Maybe I misunderstood...

I didn't say that, Oggie, I said that looking at this helps me I understand why some people are protective of the trails they care about. Nothing about that statement implies anything about who did this or whether I agree or disagree, just that I have empathy for people's feelings.

mtbr member
    Honest question: In how many places has this been confirmed to have occurred? I know it's happened at the Don many times and it's also taken place at Albion. Other than those two locations, where else has this kind of stuff gone down on a widespread scale?
    Is it something specific to those locations? One guy who rides both places? Ridearounds that are inconvenient relative to negotiating the feature? Something about the way the trails are planned and maintained?

One thing that tickles my brain: How many other heavily used trails have ride-overs that are either mandatory or have non-obvious ride-arounds? I can think of one place in Durham Forest, but for the most part, trails like 7th/8th line always seem to have the features off to one side. I remember riding up there earlier in the year, and people had built ramps over the logs, some with rubber on them to create a very friendly experience.

Are there trails as popular as Crowthers or Albion that expect riders to know how to hop over a log or take the long way around a feature? If so, it might be interesting to look at how those trails differ from Crowthers and Albion.
    Last edited by raganwald; 09-11-2011 at 08:55 PM.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    the "outsider" did this dumb modification to the trail?
    After discussion with others in the Don... riders who don't post here. The consensus is we have a pretty darned good idea who who did it.

Also the general feeling is that a certain genius who rips out roots has returned. This idjit was confronted by Paul- the DJ King on the Ridge about his actions a while ago.

mtbr member
    After discussion with others in the Don... riders who don't post here. The consensus is we have a pretty darned good idea who who did it.

Also the general feeling is that a certain genius who rips out roots has returned. This idjit was confronted by Paul- the DJ King on the Ridge about his actions a while ago.
    I read something about the roots over on dropmachine. If I understand correctly, someone has removed the roots that made the gully on ridge line challenging to ride from South to North. I'm not a lawyer, arborist, or landscape architect, so all I can do is wonder aloud about the legality and consequences of damaging live trees on a steep slope.

Troll mode on: On the bright side, everyone can mow ride that gully without needing to finesse the roots or (gasp) put a foot down.

Evil Jr.
    It's been my experience that it happens to one degree or another in almost every trail system in Ontario. In highly politicized places like the Don, there may some malice involved but I think in a lot of more "normal" places, some people actually see this as "doing their part."

What constitutes trail maintenance probably has as many definitions as there are trail users. The proportion of riders (not to mention runners, hikers, etc...) that have had actual trail building training (either practical or the more formal IMBA version) is pretty slim.

What one of us might consider sacrilege might just be "clean up" to someone else.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    This happening in durham forest also. I was out last week for the first time this summer(home reno's, etc.) Most of the log obstacles have either been removed or pulled off the trail to the side. People if you can't ride the trails, stay on the sidewalk!! Stop ruining my ride!!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    To add to the fail,

Someone has been cutting out roots on the trails again. And after a bit of investigation 2 suspects have been mentioned.