mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Trail Suggestions?

Myself and a buddy are getting back into riding after years of being away from it. We're also bringing in a guy who is brand new to riding. Just wondering if anyone has any trails they would suggest that would be good for us to get back into the groove of riding and something to keep the new guy happy without being too crazy or hard starting off in Newfoundland. We are in the St. John's area but would be fine with taking some weekend trips to Clarenville or Gander if there was something worthwhile going for.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    You'll be happy to know that there is no shortage of MTB trails in the St. John's area. However, most of them are highly technical and might not be all that fun for new riders.

Probably the best trails to start with are the ones in Pippy Park. There's a good network of singletrack and doubletrack trails in there, accessible from the gate at the top of Nagle's Hill or from Mount Scio Road. AMBA (Avalon MTB association) is actively working on those trails and I believe have the IMBA trail care crew coming in September. Signage is poor at this point but it's pretty hard to get (very) lost in there. I don't know if there's a decent map but some of us would certainly have GPS tracks imposed over google earth images that I could dig up for you. There are techincal bits, but they're typically low consequence and not as hard as the tech on the other trails.

Subnet would be your next best bet. It's in the White Hills and accessed from the parking lot at the DFO building off East White Hills Road. It's generally more difficult than PP but has a good bit of pretty flowy singletrack (flowy for here, anyway). There are definitely a few sections that new riders will walk but it's mostly manageable in terms of tech. Awesome trail.

There are also a bunch of trails on Kenmount Hill off Redmond's road or Wyatt blvd. Good mix of flow and light technical. DH trails on the blackmarsh side are flowy and not very tech. Fast and lots of fun.

You should probably stay clear of Richmond Hill (southside hills above Kilbride) until you guys get comfortable at Subnet. It's massively technical with soul-destroying climbs and can be really frustrating especially to new riders. I have a map of those trails if you're interested in heading up there for a look.

There's also the ECT from Shea Heights to Fort Amherst and ECT from Torbay to Flatrock. The Fort A section has some serious tech but also has some nice flowy trail. Torbay-Flatrock is a nice ride and not too tech with a couple of exceptions.

I think this will get you started and if you have any further questions just reply here or send me a PM.

Cheers,
    Mark

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks. I'd be very interested in anything you could give me to help out and find these trails please feel free to email me at coadydempsey@hotmail.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CoadyD View Post
    Thanks. I'd be very interested in anything you could give me to help out and find these trails please feel free to email me at coadydempsey@hotmail.com
    This just went online: http://www.mountainbikestjohns.com/

Maps and directions to several local trails. It's incomplete, missing Richmond, Shea Heights-Fort A and Kenmount but I think they'll eventually get added.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Thanks