mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Trail conditions, Hamilton area?

Went last night to ride the rail trail, Spring Creek and Headwaters trails but had to give up. The rail trail had about a 1 foot wide rough ice path with the rest of it a mixture of snow and ice with random footprints in it. Just couldn't manage it.

Anyone been on trails since the thaw on the weekend that they can recommend? What's Christie like? Maybe Turkey Point on the weekend?
    Then again, it's all going to change after tomorrow - 3 degrees, snow and rain.
    May have to try road riding until the trails clean up.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Here in Waterdown area it is much like you described the rail trail. Not really rideable.
    So same as you hoping melting and rain either pack the trails or lose the snow and refreeze.

mtbr member
    Just got back, but was out on the fatbike, which made the icy, rough stuff a lot easier.

I suspect with the warm/rain tomorrow, then the freeze up again on the weekend, it's just going keep it relatively the same. I doubt much will be that great locally. The stuff that wasn't walked on will be a tougher, crunchy slog to get through. The stuff that was walked on, especially above 0, again, just a mess.

Workin for the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    Here in Waterdown area it is much like you described the rail trail. Not really rideable.
    So same as you hoping melting and rain either pack the trails or lose the snow and refreeze.
    Kerns road loop was brutal! It was like riding a minefield... Hopefully the warmer weather massages the trail before the next big freeze.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Rode the trails from Waterdown to Kercliffe park this morning. Much more rideable today...still...lots of frozen icy footprints requiring either a fatbike or fullsus...

Workin for the weekend!
    Waterdown is a skating rink.... Studs only, the ice is pretty bad. Hopefully the mail dish temps clear up the trails soon, it's no fun right now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Concur! Was out this morning. The ice is very bad (or is it good??). Studs are necessary.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Todd- View Post
    the mail dish temps
    Eh?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Workin for the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Eh?
    iPad autocorrect... "Mildish" temps... Sorry.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Was out this morning. Much much better...the warmish temps have softened the top layer of ice enough to get some grip.

Workin for the weekend!
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post
    Was out this morning. Much much better...the warmish temps have softened the top layer of ice enough to get some grip.
    Are you running studs or just rubber? I know a lot of the BW guys rock the studs, sure would have been useful the other day...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Yup, I run studs. You are right...they were definately necessary this week.

mtbr member

Trail conditions, Hamilton area?

Went out today in Stoney creek. Lots of ice but rideable as it was warming up allowing for traction. I also was running 1.3's in prep for P2A making it more difficult but still managed 45k
    "Go till I blow..... chunks"

Workin for the weekend!
    Rode waterdown tonight, conditions weren't great, but rideable without carbides... Hopefully it gets better over the next few days with some of the thaw setting in...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    For anyone wanting to get some easy, Zone 2 miles in and hates road riding, the Beach Strip trail is clear. There is absolutely no snow down there - it's depressing coming home, it's still winter at home and spring on the Beach Strip.
    Its all smooth asphalt, 8 km from the lift bridge to the end of the trail in Stoney Creek. 2 or 3 loops makes a pretty good ride this early in the season. If you want to cross the bridge, it goes to Spencer Smith park in Burlington.

Workin for the weekend!
    Waterdown has been fantastic the last few nights...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Agreed...I have been out several times this week and it has all been great!!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Was out in Waterdown this morning. Trails were great since they were frozen (it was -5 overnight), but I wouldn't ride them above 0 until it dries out.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was riding Slote, Powerline and Paddy Green by Copetown on the weekend and tried a short ride on the rail trail. It was mostly firm with the odd wet patch with a small bit of snow or ice. Definitely rideable but its rough from the horses. If I wanted to ride it, I'd use a fat bike - smooths out those hoof prints. Suspension doesn't seem to help.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    The Waterdown trails are mint right now. Supposed to rain tomorrow though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was out the last two nights, trails are dry and hard. Chedoke heights is pretty good, some new trails down across the trails making them annoying to ride and a couple muddy/wet spots still.