Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tour of Pelham

2WD
    Rides like a girl

Tour of Pelham

Registration opened today! Who's doing it??

bi-winning
    If I'm racing that weekend, it will definitely be at Hilton Falls instead. I would rather tackle the rocks there, than cruise down some farm roads.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

veldrijder
    ToP may not be a spectacular mtb race, but I'm guessing it'd be a blast on a cross bike. I'm thinking about it, but the entry fee is a bit steep for such a small/grassroots event.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    ToP may not be a spectacular mtb race, but I'm guessing it'd be a blast on a cross bike. I'm thinking about it, but the entry fee is a bit steep for such a small/grassroots event.
    I don't think $30 is too bad for a race and a pancake breakfast.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    If I'm racing that weekend, it will definitely be at Hilton Falls instead. I would rather tackle the rocks there, than cruise down some farm roads.
    Attaboy! Im definitely looking forward to this race too.. ive used it as my winter training benchmark for the last 5 years.

mtbr member
    Post the link to the race so others can check it out

rad to the power of sick
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy
    First thing i looked for! They havent posted details yet.. but when they do, they'll be here:

http://wowmtb.com/WOW/Events.html

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy
    website links are on the list.
    2008 Race Schedule

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    website links are on the list.
    2008 Race Schedule
    The link on your list for the Hilton Falls time trial does not go to the WOW site (it goes to the conservation area's website), which will have most of the information.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    The link on your list for the Hilton Falls time trial does not go to the WOW site (it goes to the conservation area's website), which will have most of the information.
    Not sure if you actually read the website that I've linked to or not...
    it states "Call Hilton Falls to register and for more information."
    So it looks like you have to call to get registered...???

Does anyone know if W.O.W. is organizing this event or is it through Hilton Falls?
    W.O.W.'s website has it under "Events By Our Friends", so it looks like it is not their event.
    Spokes N Slopes website has a dead link to a W.O.W. page for this event.

The most information available at this time is the Hilton Falls Conservation website.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    Not sure if you actually read the website that I've linked to or not...
    it states "Call Hilton Falls to register and for more information."
    So it looks like you have to call to get registered...???

Does anyone know if W.O.W. is organizing this event or is it through Hilton Falls?
    W.O.W.'s website has it under "Events By Our Friends", so it looks like it is not their event.
    Spokes N Slopes website has a dead link to a W.O.W. page for this event.

The most information available at this time is the Hilton Falls Conservation website.
    2 years ago, i remember mailing in my entry. The form was posted in PDF format. Last year, the flyer was again posted in PDF on the WOW site, and I was able to email in my entry.

In reference to who runs it, I think it is mostly the guys at Spokes'n'Slopes that make it run, with the participation of the conservation authority.

PS, if anybody is interested in the tour of pelham, go to www.laketolake.ca for the details.

dirt roadie
    I'm not sure about racing in this one, it's sneaking up too fast and all this ice and snow is ruining my ride time.
    However, you can be sure I will be there...pointing a big camera lens in your face

veldrijder
    I've been giving it some more thought... I'll wait until the pre-reg deadline approaches and check the weather and how I'm feeling. If I'm not racing I'll be there to help out and try to get a ride in anyway.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any recommendations for 'Cross tires for the Tour of Pelham: knobbies or semi-slicks?
    Cheers

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by 800-lb-gorilla
    Any recommendations for 'Cross tires for the Tour of Pelham: knobbies or semi-slicks?
    Cheers
    I'm thinking studs. I would think that the trails would be still icy.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    If anyone's on the fence about registration, early registration closes April 1st - no pancake breakfast after that!

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by 2WD
    If anyone's on the fence about registration, early registration closes April 1st - no pancake breakfast after that!
    Yeah, I'd encourage people to enter; it should be a great event. I'm not racing, but I'll be telling you all where to park your cars (or something like that) and then marshalling or sweeping the course I think. See you next weekend!

dirt roadie
    I'll be riding my bike out there, but not racing, just as a spectator.
    I'm bringing my camera - does anyone know the course so I can find a good place to get some shots?
    If you see a short guy on a yellow Norco pointing a huge camera at you, be sure to make a silly face.

veldrijder
    Rob, if you show up a bit early to the start and ask the organizers I'm sure they can point you to a few good places for photos. The course map will likely not be available before since it may change based on conditions.

dirt roadie
    Will do, thanks!
    I am going to have to find you first anyways, so I can give you the cash I owe.
    Last edited by zedfoto; 03-30-2008 at 08:21 PM.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by 2WD
    So, is there day-of registration?

The Hilton Falls All Weather challenge status is up in the air, so, if the event does not run, I'll consider doing this race. They make a decision on the Hilton race on Wednesday - after online registration for the Tour of Pelham closes.

Or, maybe this weekend will just suck for racing, and i should not bother with either?
    Last edited by rkj__; 03-31-2008 at 08:22 AM.

veldrijder
    ToP does have day of, but you don't get the breakfast after. I think the course will be tailored to conditions and will be a good race regardless of conditions (there is not much "off-road" - the only singletrack will be behind the morningstar mill I'm told - the course is mainly dirt roads, etc.)

bi-winning
    Ok, I registered for the ToP. I see a few names I recognize on the confirmation list. See ya Saturday.

mtbr member
    HEY ALL!!! I'm not on the list, but I am racing the ToP!! Woo hooo. First race of the year.

Zed - I think the best spot for photos is coming out of Morningstar Mill.

This should be a very fun event, but the guys up front are gonna be rocking like a hurricane! Warm up well boys and girls because it's gonna be a hammerfest from the start
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    HEY ALL!!! I'm not on the list, but I am racing the ToP!! Woo hooo. First race of the year.

Zed - I think the best spot for photos is coming out of Morningstar Mill.

This should be a very fun event, but the guys up front are gonna be rocking like a hurricane! Warm up well boys and girls because it's gonna be a hammerfest from the start
    Warm up? Waste of energy. I think I will nap near the staging area. The first 5km will be my warm up. The guys at the front will do their thing, and I will do my thing.

veldrijder
    A hammerfest it will be - those guys never stop riding for the winter, and they're damn fast! The forecast is looking good for the weekend

First race for me will be the Icebreaker next weekend - I'm pumped for that one, but that's a different thread...

mtbr member
    I really want to do this, but fear a lot of flat terrain which is going to be a spin fest on my singlespeed. Please tell me there is lots of climbing and interesting terrain and I will come.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    I really want to do this, but fear a lot of flat terrain which is going to be a spin fest on my singlespeed. Please tell me there is lots of climbing and interesting terrain and I will come.
    The is lots of climbing and interesting terrain. Trust me. I have done this race zero times.

veldrijder
    Climbing - lots, according to those I've talked to. Interesting terrain... well, not so much, but it shouldn't be too bad. Gear higher than you would for singletrack on the singlespeed.

mtbr member
    32 x 18 on my 29er SS (equal to 32:16 on a 26er), is what I normally run. Only stuff other cog I have available is a 16t. Not sure if dropping 2 teeth on the back will be enough?

bi-winning
    32 x 18 on my 29er SS (equal to 32:16 on a 26er), is what I normally run. Only stuff other cog I have available is a 16t. Not sure if dropping 2 teeth on the back will be enough?
    That sounds low to me, but what do I know

I totally understand your concern. Spinning at insane rpms down a slightly downhill dirt road might not be worth $30 to you.

Single speed

Course description? Hilly or not?

Anybody have any clues or recollections of the course?
    I know the club guys willl be out marking the course tomorrow night after 4pm.

But does anybody have any experience or heard any rumors of the course?

Here is my guess and some of the things I heard.
    I heard it goes south on an overgrown lane at the top of Orchard Hill rd. by the Herb Farm. Probably up to hansler rd. over to Hollow rd.
    I heard mention of McSherry Lane to Cataract rd and out to the rail bed just north of HWY 20. From Cataract rd. heading east under the 406 to Holland rd. over to the service road by Allenberg bridge and along Lake Gibson to the red barn on Beaver dams. Then maybe back under the 406 along Lake Gibson to Decew house. Single track around to the Lake Moodie , To the Grist Mill Trail.Then I also heard up Decew rd to Faywell Dr to Seburn rd. From there maybe to Cataract to Holland across to Roland almost to Effingham rd then somehow over to 16 rd and eventually ending at Agape Valley.

Just my best guess.

If anyone can confirm or deny that would be great.

Jeff maybe if you have some free time after helping Tim and the club out, You can post details? That would be even better.

I am going to be using the cross tires. They seem to cut through the mud better. Instead of plowing it and picking it up.
    I will be pushing a pretty big ring for the rd sections. All day Big Ring buffet!

Look for me with the ghetto helmet cam too. I mounted my Digi cam to my bucket. It works pretty good for low budget.
    See ya'll there.

Single speed

Paris to Ancaster like gearing!

NSPACE
    You should totally come out! Then I won't be the only SS there.

But first put on a 42t ring. I was out there the other day and 42X16 was the right combo for me. I don't imagine there will be any hiking.
    But some of the hills almost broke my legs. It was awesome

Come on down!
    Better yet bring the Steelwood with knobby tires. That will do just fine.

veldrijder
    32x16 might be ok if you like spinning. 100 rpm will get you to 27km/h on the flats, and that gear should be more enjoyable on the hills than anything bigger. It's up to you if you feel the need to go faster or not...

Quote Originally Posted by McGyver29er
    Here is my guess and some of the things I heard.
    You know more than me, but I heard mention of some of the same. You've at least named many of the roads that will be used, if not the correct sequence

I don't know that I'll have time to go out and help with marking the course tomorrow, but if I do I'll report back here (likely with GPS track if I get a fairly continuous lap on it).

Single speed

Oh Ya!

Let the Carb loading begin!

mtbr member
    **** I don't have a big ring for my MTB, 32T is all I have.

My options:

Find a bigger non-ramped 104 BCD ring.
    Find some dirt cheap CX tires for the Steelwool.
    Spin like mad.

mtbr member

Course description

Alright gentlemen. I wrote a preview story about the race for the newspapers tonight so I've got a great idea of the course. The organizer explained it all to me.

But, in the interest of being fair to everyone, I better not reveal it

Sorry boys and girls. Basically expect a good mix of road, dirt roads, gravel and a small amount of singletrack mixed in.

Dan
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2004 Cannondale Chase

bi-winning

Thank you for your contribution to this thread.

Alright gentlemen. I wrote a preview story about the race for the newspapers tonight so I've got a great idea of the course. The organizer explained it all to me.

But, in the interest of being fair to everyone, I better not reveal it

Sorry boys and girls. Basically expect a good mix of road, dirt roads, gravel and a small amount of singletrack mixed in.

Dan
    I'm really looking forward to Saturday. The weather might be nice too.

btw Dan, if you really wanna smoke me good, I think this is your chance. Will you take the opportunity?

ps, what bike will you be riding? You don't have a CX do you?

veldrijder
    Find some dirt cheap CX tires for the Steelwool.
    I'll lend you some cross tires for the race, if you want to install them morning of and give them back after. Just let me know if you actually want to do that.

mtbr member
    HA HA....Ryan I better beat you Saturday or else I'm selling all my cycling stuff to take up golf I'm feeling really good with lots and lots of base miles under my belt. And yes I've got a CX bike so I'll be riding that. This is my one chance to beat you before you start smoking me on the trails!

The only downside is that I have to drive to Cleveland tonight. I probably won't get home until about 2am, which means not much sleep tonight. But I did sleep well last night and they say the Thursday night sleep is the most important before a Saturday race. I guess we'll find out.
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2004 Cannondale Chase

bi-winning
    And yes I've got a CX bike so I'll be riding that.
    I'd like one of those.

Anybody wanna buy a ghetto 1988 Pinarello for twice what it is worth so i can afford one?

By rkj__ at 2007-05-20

dirt roadie
    I'd like one of those.
    I would lend you mine, but not many people are short enough to use my bikes
    I may not be able to make it out to take photos; it is looking like I might get stuck with a lot of work, but good luck to everyone and most importantly, have fun and get muddy

Single speed

Hear ye Hear ye! Read all about it!

Hey Guys,
    I just came across this link.
    http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/A...auth=DAN+DAKIN

Great job Dan!
    Keep up the good work.

See you there!

bi-winning
    Hey Guys,
    I just came across this link.
    http://www.stcatharinesstandard.ca/A...auth=DAN+DAKIN

Great job Dan!
    Keep up the good work.

See you there!
    Nice find McGyver. They certainly will have some fast guys fighting for the win!

veldrijder
    Then I won't be the only SS there.
    Well, you won't be the only one there, even if you're the only SS racing. I'll be riding my SS, 44x17, to/from the start and around the course if I end up riding a sweep or to a marshall location or something. See you all tomorrow!

mtbr member
    Well...I have decided to come ride. This will be my first adventure to this region for riding.

jmoote...you would really lend me some tires??? That would be awesome!!!

I will bring my Steelwool (and mtb in the event that you don't get this in time), but I am thinking my Steelwool with cross tires (since there is clearance) @ 44x16 would be much better than running 32:16 on my 29er.

Regardless, I am coming and will be riding on whichever bike. Even if I have to spin like made and come in last place.

veldrijder
    nspace, I'll bring the tires. I'll be wearing a St. Catharines CC jersey (though maybe a jacket covering it up at times) and if I'm with my bike it's a Trek 8000 with drop bars and orange brake housing - pretty hard to miss.

mtbr member
    Perfect! I will be wearing an orange and black Misfit Psycles jersey with a dark blue Steelwool bike. It should be easy to find since it won't have any tires on before we meet up

Single speed

Wow what an exciting finish!

That was a pretty cool event.

The part I liked was the last 200m.

I thought Dan was going to be having a sale on his many bike associated items and taking up golf.
    I had the best seat in the house to watch the action unfold.
    When I passed you Ryan I thought you had him beat.
    You must like his company and competition and you didn't want to see his family suffer through a bad case of golfitis.
    Ryan,
    Did you let him pass or was it Dan's fear of giving up cycling that gave him the extra boost to pass you?
    Great ride guys!
    Am I correct in thinking we finished 12th, 13th, and 14th? Or was it a tie cause you guys were so close at the finish?

Kudos to you NSPACE!
    Can you say monster mash? 44X16 pretty tough in them hills and all that muck.
    Awesome job!

Great Job on the volunteering side of things, Jeff.
    Did you happen to find the lung I lost out there? I think it was on the hill on Barron road where I blew it out.

Just a quick race for me.
    I think I was the last one there and the first one out.
    I had family responsibilities or I would have stayed and hung out with everyone.

P2A should be just as fun. Hope to see ya'll there!

Single speed

Results?

Anybody know where to find the results when they are posted?

I had to leave real quick so I didn't get a chance to see how everyone did.

I wonder if they will be posted on the St.Catharines CC web site?

If anyone finds knows can you please post?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast