Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 71

Thread: Tour of Pelham

  1. #1
    2WD
    2WD is offline
    Rides like a girl
    Reputation: 2WD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    389

    Tour of Pelham

    Registration opened today! Who's doing it??

  2. #2
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,137
    If I'm racing that weekend, it will definitely be at Hilton Falls instead. I would rather tackle the rocks there, than cruise down some farm roads.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  3. #3
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    ToP may not be a spectacular mtb race, but I'm guessing it'd be a blast on a cross bike. I'm thinking about it, but the entry fee is a bit steep for such a small/grassroots event.

  4. #4
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,137
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    ToP may not be a spectacular mtb race, but I'm guessing it'd be a blast on a cross bike. I'm thinking about it, but the entry fee is a bit steep for such a small/grassroots event.
    I don't think $30 is too bad for a race and a pancake breakfast.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  5. #5
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    If I'm racing that weekend, it will definitely be at Hilton Falls instead. I would rather tackle the rocks there, than cruise down some farm roads.
    Attaboy! Im definitely looking forward to this race too.. ive used it as my winter training benchmark for the last 5 years.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ccaddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,715
    Post the link to the race so others can check it out

  7. #7
    rad to the power of sick
    Reputation: superlightracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,850
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy
    Post the link to the race so others can check it out
    First thing i looked for! They havent posted details yet.. but when they do, they'll be here:

    http://wowmtb.com/WOW/Events.html

  8. #8
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by ccaddy
    Post the link to the race so others can check it out
    website links are on the list.
    2008 Race Schedule

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  9. #9
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,137
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    website links are on the list.
    2008 Race Schedule
    The link on your list for the Hilton Falls time trial does not go to the WOW site (it goes to the conservation area's website), which will have most of the information.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  10. #10
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    836
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    The link on your list for the Hilton Falls time trial does not go to the WOW site (it goes to the conservation area's website), which will have most of the information.
    Not sure if you actually read the website that I've linked to or not...
    it states "Call Hilton Falls to register and for more information."
    So it looks like you have to call to get registered...???

    Does anyone know if W.O.W. is organizing this event or is it through Hilton Falls?
    W.O.W.'s website has it under "Events By Our Friends", so it looks like it is not their event.
    Spokes N Slopes website has a dead link to a W.O.W. page for this event.

    The most information available at this time is the Hilton Falls Conservation website.

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  11. #11
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,137
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    Not sure if you actually read the website that I've linked to or not...
    it states "Call Hilton Falls to register and for more information."
    So it looks like you have to call to get registered...???

    Does anyone know if W.O.W. is organizing this event or is it through Hilton Falls?
    W.O.W.'s website has it under "Events By Our Friends", so it looks like it is not their event.
    Spokes N Slopes website has a dead link to a W.O.W. page for this event.

    The most information available at this time is the Hilton Falls Conservation website.
    2 years ago, i remember mailing in my entry. The form was posted in PDF format. Last year, the flyer was again posted in PDF on the WOW site, and I was able to email in my entry.

    In reference to who runs it, I think it is mostly the guys at Spokes'n'Slopes that make it run, with the participation of the conservation authority.


    PS, if anybody is interested in the tour of pelham, go to www.laketolake.ca for the details.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  12. #12
    dirt roadie
    Reputation: zedfoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    468
    I'm not sure about racing in this one, it's sneaking up too fast and all this ice and snow is ruining my ride time.
    However, you can be sure I will be there...pointing a big camera lens in your face

  13. #13
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    I've been giving it some more thought... I'll wait until the pre-reg deadline approaches and check the weather and how I'm feeling. If I'm not racing I'll be there to help out and try to get a ride in anyway.

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    74
    Any recommendations for 'Cross tires for the Tour of Pelham: knobbies or semi-slicks?
    Cheers

  15. #15
    NormalNorm
    Reputation: norm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    935
    Quote Originally Posted by 800-lb-gorilla
    Any recommendations for 'Cross tires for the Tour of Pelham: knobbies or semi-slicks?
    Cheers
    I'm thinking studs. I would think that the trails would be still icy.

  16. #16
    2WD
    2WD is offline
    Rides like a girl
    Reputation: 2WD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    389
    If anyone's on the fence about registration, early registration closes April 1st - no pancake breakfast after that!

  17. #17
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by 2WD
    If anyone's on the fence about registration, early registration closes April 1st - no pancake breakfast after that!
    Yeah, I'd encourage people to enter; it should be a great event. I'm not racing, but I'll be telling you all where to park your cars (or something like that) and then marshalling or sweeping the course I think. See you next weekend!

  18. #18
    dirt roadie
    Reputation: zedfoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    468
    I'll be riding my bike out there, but not racing, just as a spectator.
    I'm bringing my camera - does anyone know the course so I can find a good place to get some shots?
    If you see a short guy on a yellow Norco pointing a huge camera at you, be sure to make a silly face.

  19. #19
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Rob, if you show up a bit early to the start and ask the organizers I'm sure they can point you to a few good places for photos. The course map will likely not be available before since it may change based on conditions.

  20. #20
    dirt roadie
    Reputation: zedfoto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    468
    Will do, thanks!
    I am going to have to find you first anyways, so I can give you the cash I owe.
    Last edited by zedfoto; 03-30-2008 at 09:21 PM.

  21. #21
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,137
    Quote Originally Posted by 2WD
    If anyone's on the fence about registration, early registration closes April 1st - no pancake breakfast after that!
    So, is there day-of registration?

    The Hilton Falls All Weather challenge status is up in the air, so, if the event does not run, I'll consider doing this race. They make a decision on the Hilton race on Wednesday - after online registration for the Tour of Pelham closes.

    Or, maybe this weekend will just suck for racing, and i should not bother with either?
    Last edited by rkj__; 03-31-2008 at 09:22 AM.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  22. #22
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    ToP does have day of, but you don't get the breakfast after. I think the course will be tailored to conditions and will be a good race regardless of conditions (there is not much "off-road" - the only singletrack will be behind the morningstar mill I'm told - the course is mainly dirt roads, etc.)

  23. #23
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,137
    Ok, I registered for the ToP. I see a few names I recognize on the confirmation list. See ya Saturday.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ddakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    443
    HEY ALL!!! I'm not on the list, but I am racing the ToP!! Woo hooo. First race of the year.

    Zed - I think the best spot for photos is coming out of Morningstar Mill.

    This should be a very fun event, but the guys up front are gonna be rocking like a hurricane! Warm up well boys and girls because it's gonna be a hammerfest from the start
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

    2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

  25. #25
    bi-winning
    Reputation: rkj__'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    11,137
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    HEY ALL!!! I'm not on the list, but I am racing the ToP!! Woo hooo. First race of the year.

    Zed - I think the best spot for photos is coming out of Morningstar Mill.

    This should be a very fun event, but the guys up front are gonna be rocking like a hurricane! Warm up well boys and girls because it's gonna be a hammerfest from the start
    Warm up? Waste of energy. I think I will nap near the staging area. The first 5km will be my warm up. The guys at the front will do their thing, and I will do my thing.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.


    Shorthills Cycling Club

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •