Thread: Tour de king

mtbr member
    May 2013

Tour de king

Hi there was wounding if any one here has done the Tour de King point to point mountain bike race in Ontario.I understand that you can use a cycle cross bike and I was hope someone from this forum could tell me if they have and how that went for them.cheers

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I used a cx bike in the first edition of the Tour de King. I was really happy I had it for the road sections, but on balance, I believe I lost time. On the other hand, it was my first time riding a cross bike in mtb terrain and I was having trouble adjusting to the different braking.

I think the best bike for that race would be a hardtail 29'er, especially if you can get a draft from someone on a cross bike once you get on the road.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    IMHO it really depends on the weather. Two years ago it was cold and rainy so the cross bikes struggled in the trail sections. Last year was dry making a cross bike a good option. I have only done it on a mountain bike, but if the conditions are dry this year I'll be running fat cyclocross tires. The trail sections are not technical.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thank you for your insight on this subject. I am still undecided on what bike to use right now but I will take my cx bike to the Durham forest this week and se how that goes cheers.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    It is a great event. I have ridden it the past 2 years and love it. Used a 26er mtb both times and finished 3rd in my cat last year. I would agree that a 29er mtb is the weapon of choice as the top riders all seem to dominate with them. You will be glad to have a mtb during the last 9km which is mostly single track with some semi technical. The CX riders definitely get hung up in there.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Simple...what would Jens Voigt do?
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have done it on cross bike first year and 29er last year. You will def have more fun on the 29er. Top racers, including Zandstra, Sin, Dreyer won on 29ers.
    Either bike is great, so depends on comfort and fun factor for you.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'm excited to do it in reverse of the course 2 years ago. The singletrack at the start was a pain in the butt to be stuck in traffic.

Still trying to guage the weather before committing. I really don't want to do it in the rain and bundled up

mtbr member
    May 2013
    This will be my first time for this one.I have done the P2A three times this past one on my single speed mountain bike.I am looking forward to this race I have tried to make it to the last two tour de king but my work got in the way. I think the wether should be ok it maybe over cast and "no"rain.What bike are you using at this race?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rider up View Post
    What bike are you using at this race?
    I'll be riding a single speed 29er. I also ran this bike in P2A earlier this year, and in last years Tour de King.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yes that seems to be the consensus here.I don't have 29er so it will be my cx bike or my 26er. I am going to pickup my Pre- registration tomorrow and if its not raining I will ride some of the course.

mtbr member
    For any of you out of town, there was a massive downpour all last night and it continues to rain today.

Forecast for race day: m-u-d.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Tour de king

Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    Forecast for race day: m-u-d.
    And now the tire dilemma begins. I was planning on running a CX tire, but my Racing Ralph's are looking like a better choice. Hmmm…

mtbr member
    May 2013
    As I wright this the rain has just stop her in Pickering and the sun is somewhat shinning .So I guess it's my 26er for tomorrow have a good race cheers.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Pack spare brake pads.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Fun race!! Cant wait untill the next one.

Cramped up for 25km and on. Never had quads hams and calfs lock up all at the same time. Couldnt stop pedaling or I would have died.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Pictures?

Does anybody know who was taking pictures? Especially on that last hill before leaving the woods near the end? Don't see anything on racedayrush...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by having fun View Post
    Does anybody know who was taking pictures? Especially on that last hill before leaving the woods near the end? Don't see anything on racedayrush...
    Actually, we had a couple of folks out shooting...We were just working on getting the pics indexed prior to posting the link...But here it is...

Race Day Rush :: 2013 Tour De King / 2013-09-22 :: Powered By Zoomphoto.ca

Cheers!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Fun race!! Cant wait untill the next one.

Cramped up for 25km and on. Never had quads hams and calfs lock up all at the same time. Couldnt stop pedaling or I would have died.
    Agreed, a lot of fun. The surprise local weather conditions and slightly muddy conditions added just the right amount of adventure to the race. My best finish ever in a race, I was able to hold cramps at bay for the final Seneca single track and finish strong (enough).

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Yes the same thing happened to me only my hip joint was cramping up.Could it have been because of the cold and damp wether?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    Fun race!! Cant wait untill the next one. Cramped up for 25km and on. Never had quads hams and calfs lock up all at the same time. Couldnt stop pedaling or I would have died.
    Out of town, so missed the race, but my wife mentioned it was the first time her quad cramped. Was it especially cold?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rider up View Post
    Yes the same thing happened to me only my hip joint was cramping up.Could it have been because of the cold and damp wether?
    I think in my case it was not being used to riding for 2+ hours at race pace, plus pushing a big gear through the final singletrack (I was on a single speed).

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    I think in my case it was not being used to riding for 2+ hours at race pace, plus pushing a big gear through the final singletrack (I was on a single speed).
    I could not imagine how hard it would be to push a big gear through the Seneca section. I was cramping on & off through all those trails that would be really fun if my legs were working. Granny was my best friend!

I was warm, hydrated, fuelled, cardio felt good...and any time I needed to power up anything...bam...cramp city. Fortunately I was able to spin along to get through but it was slow and frustrating.

Each year my fitness has been improving so hopefully I will have more power for 2014!