db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Torrence & Buckwallow - bug report?

I'm planning my Aug/Sept/Oct days off and coordinating with Mrs db9 my riding time ... enjoyed Torrance Barrens last year and wanted to visit again and try Buckwallow as well (never been) ... Being the suck that I am just wondering what the bugs are like if I get up that way in the next week or so..

Thanks

mtbr member
    First off I live here so I may have a different tolerance to bugs than you.
    I do use bug spray during the peak season which is sorta over for insects like blackflies and mosquito’s. But in the evening or on a wet day they can still be found.
    My last few rides at Buck I have not used any bug spray.
    Deerflies, I went for a hike on huckleberry rock last weekend and they were better than I expected just 1 or 2 following you around but I’m not sure that season is over, it may depend on where you are, time of day and the kind of day.

We are heading into the best time of year to ride here great temperatures and nearly no bugs.

Buckwallow is an exellent place to ride and if you have a few dry days the Village is a worthwhile adventure too.

cyberbully
    just a quick question: is torrance ok for a cx ride ? I've never been from what i heard it should be fine...gonna take a few noobs (not even noobs, just non-riders) out there this weekend
    ...a truly skeptical position would be a very uncertain one.
    -Rupert Sheldrake

mtbr member
    If cx is cross country yes if cx is cycle cross I'm not sure. should look through BCD's videos there may be one of the Barrens.

mtbr member
    Thought so :

The Torrance Barrens:

Muskoka

Should be OK

Deer flies are fading; Secret Agent rode the Barrens last weekend and he said there were a few following them around but it was tolerable provide you kept moving. If you are not coming here for a week or two yet I'm sure it will be fine by then. Think I might go out there myself this weekend..its been awhile!

As for CX bike at Barrens, most of it would be rideable but I think all that rock riding with no suspension on a low volume tire is going to beat you up pretty good! And there will be sections you will have to hike-a-bike...but that's all part of CX anyway isn't it?

Muskoka

I prefer this one....

Old Stone Road > thru the Barrens (heaven)> and return:

The Old Stone Road-A Better Way to Heaven from BlackCanoeDog on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Well it's already be said but I'll chime in, was at TB last weekend and same experience, had the odd horse fly following but no real threat if you're moving. Was at Buck two weekends ago and the mosquitoes were present, mind you it was a touch damp and just before dusk.

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks for the 'report(s)' - won't be this weekend ..
    Now if I could loose the honey do list and put the bike on the Subie and roll on up the highway

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by db9 View Post
    Thanks for the 'report(s)' - won't be this weekend ..
    Now if I could loose the honey do list and put the bike on the Subie and roll on up the highway
    Each week that goes by now will be better for bugs, by mid to late August they should be pretty much done. Just an FYI, lots of trail improvement work has been happening at Buckwallow this summer, the most I have seen in years!

Nice day for a ride.....
    BCD- how long of a ride is it to take Old Stone Rd to the Barrens, loop through the Barrens, and back out Old Stone Rd? Been thinking about spending a weekend up there sometime soon, riding Buck one day then Old Stone / Barrens the next.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Muskoka

Old Stone Rd to The Barrens... and return

Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    BCD- how long of a ride is it to take Old Stone Rd to the Barrens, loop through the Barrens, and back out Old Stone Rd? Been thinking about spending a weekend up there sometime soon, riding Buck one day then Old Stone / Barrens the next.
    If you park at the Old Stone Rd trailhead I would say about 3-3.5 hrs depending on pace if you ride all of the Barrens. Add in any additional time for just chillin' and enjoying the scenery. A fantastic ride when the weather is perfect...one of my favourites as you may have noticed

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    If you park at the Old Stone Rd trailhead I would say about 3-3.5 hrs depending on pace if you ride all of the Barrens. Add in any additional time for just chillin' and enjoying the scenery. A fantastic ride when the weather is perfect...one of my favourites as you may have noticed
    I sure have noticed. Your photos are part of the reason I want to do that ride. I've been in the area before for a day and rode Buck in the am and the Barrens in the pm but never had the time (or energy after the morning at Buck) to ride Old Stone Road.

Looks like my plan will be to spend a day at Buckwallow, camp, then do the Old Stone / Barrens ride in the morning before heading back home. Thanks for the info.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

db9
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I was thinking the same thing - always amazed on how much chatter BCD's pictures creates for Torrence and Buckwallow.

Thanks for the great pictures..

Stephen

Muskoka

The Old Stone Rd > Barrens > Devil's Gap loop

Thanks guys for appreciating the pics! An awesome autumn ride if you have a couple of vehicles to shuttle with is the above loop. Leave vehicle(s) at Old Stone Rd trailhead and at Devil's Gap trailhead. It would be good both directions although I would probably start at the Old Stone Rd end. There are a few nice lakes to stop at along Devil's Gap which might be nicer to do late in the ride. And it can be done without shuttles but you would have minimum 6 plus K of road riding, some of it out on Hwy 169. Here's a few pics from the Devil's Gap section...

Stubbies!! Wondering how long they have been there??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post

But with BCD even the slightest amount of rain, or even rain in the forecast will cause severe medical issues that he may have to cancel on you at very short notice and leave you hangin....you knew I was going to say it eventual BCD.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Near north View Post
    But with BCD even the slightest amount of rain, or even rain in the forecast will cause severe medical issues that he may have to cancel on you at very short notice and leave you hangin....you knew I was going to say it eventual BCD.
    Ya...what took you so long?!! I feel a lot this morning like I did that morning unfortunately Maybe beer is the common denominator...thinking seriously about giving that up entirely. Riding in the rain in Oct for hours with a headache and nausea is not my idea of fun. Maybe see you & the Slow Spokes this year!

mtbr member
    It's like pulling off a Band-Aid the anticipation is more painful than the hurt so I thought I would let you wait a bit before I gave you a hard time about.

Riding in a cold October monsoon rain with you buddies is always fun. The trails were not busy, we had good cookies at the food station, and we talked about you behind your back. How could a day get much better

mtbr member
    We rode buck today it was as good as buck gets, sunny but not hot, dry dry dry and no bugs. Not sure how many of those you get a year.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Near north View Post
    Riding in a cold October monsoon rain with you buddies is always fun. The trails were not busy, we had good cookies at the food station, and we talked about you behind your back. How could a day get much better
    lol...same trails several months later and many degrees colder, with nary a Slow Spoke to be found!! They are all snoozin' on the couch dreaming of spring
    ...hope Santa brings them something nice ... AND to get this thread back on track...no bugs!

mtbr member
    I rode the Barrens and Buck twice last week. The Barrens was free of bugs except for a few deer fly still buzzing around but not having any issues. We rode Buck Tuesday and Thursday and found the mosquitoes out in full force. This was during the day. We were cottaging near there and found the skeeters pretty active considering the late season. At any rate, the conditions were awesome and both places are perfect for riding.
    Burnt Norton