Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 59
  1. #1
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,422

    Toronto’s first dedicated bike lanes

    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  2. #2
    mtbr Decade+
    Reputation: Biggie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,543
    That looks slippery when wet. Yikes!
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    100
    If it's the same one they use here in New York City, it's not slippery.
    And I ride in the rain a lot:

    My Singfire sf-90 bike light review

  4. #4
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,422
    ^Thanks for the link 1nterceptor

    Today is the official launch.
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  5. #5
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    It's a good start, let's hope they follow through on streets that people actually use...

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: pikester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    142
    I've ridden them - 1000 times safer than Jarvis.

  7. #7
    Talentless Hack
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,422
    Name:  9003056467_2ee76da320.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  174.7 KB

    Used without permission, but I did give him a link.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Name:  9003056467_2ee76da320.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  174.7 KB

    Used without permission, but I did give him a link.
    Exactly my issue with this. As much as I applaud efforts to improve the cycling infrastructure in TO (I bike commute downtown, 20 km/day), the dividers on Sherbourne make it harder for cyclists to go around obstacles, while not preventing the biggest problem with undivided lanes - parked/stopped cars. Rather than spending big bucks on this type of token one-off infrastructure, IMHO they need to focus on filling gaps in the existing bike lane network and ensuring well-marked routes that can take cyclists through the city without dumping them on busy roads lacking bike lanes.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Swerny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,629
    was Ford there for the unveiling?

    (of course I am kidding)
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2016 Trek Farley 7
    2015 RSD Mayor Bluto (sold)
    2014 Giant TCX SLR1
    2012 Giant TCR Advanced SL3

  10. #10
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Name:  9003056467_2ee76da320.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  174.7 KB

    Used without permission, but I did give him a link.
    This picture does nothing to improve my view of riding busy Toronto streets.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    95
    I used to live in Wash. DC, which was significantly worse, but Toronto certainly has a long way to go before it could be considered 'bike-friendly'. Regardless of the inherent dangers of commuting in Toronto, I've seen a significant increase in the numbers of cyclists over the 7 years I've been here, which I find encouraging.

  12. #12
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    was Ford there for the unveiling?

    (of course I am kidding)
    Yes, he was looking for a crack in the road.

    Seriously, this was done to appease all the Jarvis bike lane Pinkos, a lane that goes south from Bloor to nowhere really isn't what we need. Maybe if they did some crosstown east/west routes people would see Toronto as supporting the self-propelled.

  13. #13
    Talentless Hack
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post
    was Ford there for the unveiling?
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

  14. #14
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Is that a Chev?...Doesn't he drive a Caddy?

    Mel Lastman was famous for parking on sidewalks and crip spots when he was mayor...was forced to change the plates on his Cadillac limo. Everyone posted pics of the "MAYOR 1" limo blocking traffic.

    Anyway, good for him, Toronto needs more bike lanes. I was there last Sunday, riding from Royal York into downtown. Got as far as Spadina because of the construction and Ride for Heart people, stopped for the garlic pizza at Papa Ceo's then rode by the mayor's house on my way back to the car. His road is blocked because of construction as well. He was doing his radio show at the time so no Caddy in the drive.

  15. #15
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Ford's wrong again...the first dedicated bike lanes were on Roncesvalles, opened years ago...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toronto’s first dedicated bike lanes-li-roncesvalles-620.jpg  


  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    498
    Well this made absolutely no sense to me.

    Richmond St. and Adelaide St. bike lanes, entering an environmental assessment in the future, will be constructed next year.

    The west side route to complete the square network, he said, has been the biggest challenge.

    “We’re having a hard time finding a route on that side of the city,” Minnan-Wong said. “There’s been opposition to it on a number of angles, especially on council.”
    Richmond AND Adelaide?? I don't see how either one could possibly get done, for all the same reasons as Jarvis and about a half dozen more. The west side (St. George, already has painted lanes) is the biggest challenge??

    On the positive side, it was my distinct impression last winter that the Sherbourne lane was receiving priority snowplow service (ie it got plowed. And salted).

  17. #17
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post
    Ford's wrong again...the first dedicated bike lanes were on Roncesvalles, opened years ago...
    No where in the Star article linked does it say the Mayor said that.

  18. #18
    Talentless Hack
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,422
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post
    Is that a Chev?...Doesn't he drive a Caddy?
    Yes, I kid, that's not his car, although he was there, apparently.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,439
    Saw him on the news, doing the ribbon-cutting.

    Goddamn Hypochrite!

  20. #20
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    No where in the Star article linked does it say the Mayor said that.
    Just referring to the OP and thread title...David Miller opened the first dedicated bike lane with strong opposition from then Councillor Rob Ford. I was involved with Toronto biking back then and remember him well.

    Sadly the Roncesvalles lanes are a disaster because the bike lane goes on and through the TTC platform forcing people to move aside or forcing the cyclists into live lanes and the streetcar tracks. Not safe in snow, frost, and rain...

  21. #21
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    Well this made absolutely no sense to me.



    Richmond AND Adelaide?? I don't see how either one could possibly get done, for all the same reasons as Jarvis and about a half dozen more. The west side (St. George, already has painted lanes) is the biggest challenge??

    On the positive side, it was my distinct impression last winter that the Sherbourne lane was receiving priority snowplow service (ie it got plowed. And salted).
    It actually does, both Adelaide and Richmond are one way streets with lots of room for a bike lane on both. Bloor would be a good choice as well as there are no streetcars resulting in a wide street.

    However, after riding in Toronto last week I'm shocked by the condition of the roads. Bloor, Dundas, Queen are one large pothole. The city has deteriorated as well...dirty, too much graffiti, vacant store fronts left to rot. I recently spent time in the downtown cores of American cities hit hard by their recession, but places like Little Rock, Birmingham, El Paso, Amarillo, Baton Rouge, OKC, etc. are better kept than Toronto. They all have better roads, cleaner streets, no graffiti, and the vacant stores are clean, well kept, and don't stick out as eyesores. Even New Orleans is in better shape after Katrina than Toronto. Toronto can learn a lot from these places...well, maybe not Lubbock...

  22. #22
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike_lanes.jpg 
Views:	234 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	806868

    The start of a bigger network
    Why we need more bike lanes....

    Why I will never ride a bike again

    Most Canadians believe that bicycling is a good thing. They want more bike infrastructure and they want to see more bikes on the road......

    Why I will never ride a bike again - The Globe and Mail

  23. #23
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post
    Why we need more bike lanes....

    Why I will never ride a bike again

    Most Canadians believe that bicycling is a good thing. They want more bike infrastructure and they want to see more bikes on the road......

    Why I will never ride a bike again - The Globe and Mail
    Not so much we need more bike lanes. We need more then just more bike lanes.

    I find it kind of funny how much tunnel vision Toronto has about bike lanes. Like that will be the complete solution and in the end still ends up a mess. Completely disconnecting bunch of routes.

    Since you brought up other cities. When ever I go back home to Van it is night and day when it comes to this. Minimal bike lanes but lots of routes through out Van that are signed. Quiet streets with minimal traffic. Traffic lights with the button on a pole easily accessed by a cyclist. No need to get on sidewalks or having to do a courier like maneuver.

    But of course this will all be fixed with the Bike Lane tunnel vision.

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    265
    I'm typically not one to get involved in "bike politics" discussion, but this was a street I rode every day for years. This new bike lane is a pain in the ass and I now take different route to work to avoid it. Unless there are no other cyclists around it is a nuisance to ride that lane and just creates congestion.

    Cyclists don't get hit from behind. Accidents occur in intersections, which are unaffected by those cement barriers. The curbs just make it harder for cyclists to pass cars that park in the bike lane anyways, or to pass other cyclists.

  25. #25
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,422
    Interesting study looking at drivers’ attitudes toward bike lanes

    According to surveys conducted in two major California metropolitan areas (Los Angeles and San Francisco) bike lanes make everyone feel safer — even drivers. Drivers, cyclists and pedestrians were asked what kinds of street treatments would make them feel safer, giving them a list of safety improvements to choose from. Most drivers said their top priority was bike lanes.

    In general, there’s less potential for conflict between drivers and cyclists when they each have their own space.


    here's a link describing the findings which are part of a current study

    In California Cities, Drivers Want More Bike Lanes. Here?s Why. | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  26. #26
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Interesting study looking at drivers’ attitudes toward bike lanes

    According to surveys conducted in two major California metropolitan areas (Los Angeles and San Francisco) bike lanes make everyone feel safer — even drivers. Drivers, cyclists and pedestrians were asked what kinds of street treatments would make them feel safer, giving them a list of safety improvements to choose from. Most drivers said their top priority was bike lanes.

    In general, there’s less potential for conflict between drivers and cyclists when they each have their own space.


    here's a link describing the findings which are part of a current study

    In California Cities, Drivers Want More Bike Lanes. Here?s Why. | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
    +1...every case of road rage that I've seen between cyclists and drivers began with a confrontation of who was in the other's "space". Sort of like people who go through the express lines in a grocery store with too many items.

    The biggest challenge back when I was involved in city biking was e-bikes, especially those with the peddles removed. Same up here nowadays.

    The province tried to restrict some paths and provincial trails (like Kolapore), prohibiting motorized vehicles, but then the question of electric wheelchairs and crip scooters came up and the legislation went back to the drawing board. The problem became more complicated because a lot of the trails up here are part of the snowmobile network so they can't restrict motorized vehicles just in the summer...seems unfair to some.

    But the police need to enforce the laws for e-bikes with no peddles. The courts have ruled these to be motorcycles and the riders need insurance and motorcycle licences. I was almost hit by one of these bikes running a stop sign, and without insurance, my company would have to pay and recover in court, but would have to prove that the bike was modified. Tough to do after a few months. I'm curious if e-bikes are still allowed on the Marti Goodman Trail...they took up both lanes and hit sustained speeds of over 30km/hr. Not safe.

  27. #27
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,047
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post
    Just referring to the OP and thread title...David Miller opened the first dedicated bike lane with strong opposition from then Councillor Rob Ford. I was involved with Toronto biking back then and remember him well.
    Jarvis bike lanes were a stupid idea. It is good they are gone.

    Sadly the Roncesvalles lanes are a disaster because the bike lane goes on and through the TTC platform forcing people to move aside or forcing the cyclists into live lanes and the streetcar tracks. Not safe in snow, frost, and rain...
    Yep, another stupid idea and even worse execution. Useless bike lanes but hey - someone took credit as pro-bike activist. What a waste of tax payers' money...

    For upper city east-west-east I like taking Eglinton. Mid city - Dundas to Dupont. Lower city - Lakeshore. Bloor is a disaster.
    Signature

  28. #28
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty F View Post
    I'm typically not one to get involved in "bike politics" discussion, but this was a street I rode every day for years. This new bike lane is a pain in the ass and I now take different route to work to avoid it. Unless there are no other cyclists around it is a nuisance to ride that lane and just creates congestion.

    Cyclists don't get hit from behind. Accidents occur in intersections, which are unaffected by those cement barriers. The curbs just make it harder for cyclists to pass cars that park in the bike lane anyways, or to pass other cyclists.
    can't agree more...
    Signature

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation: secret agent's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    763
    I rode in Montreal last summer. Their lanes are completely separated. They get a ton of use and are actually crowded at rush hour. It is like commuting in a car. There are tons of Bixies. They have a lot of them and during peak times, you just can't find one to rent. Passing is a bit of a trick, but people there seem more informed and have some etiquette. It is a bit of mayhem but it seems to work out. I think a lot of issues would be resolved if proper separated lanes were put in. Now it is a free for all with cabs and delivery vehicles all over bike lanes, double parked etc. Cyclists, inline skaters, skateboarders and anyone else are all vying for the same space. With proper bike lanes, some of the quicker riders might have to slow down quite a bit. In Montreal lanes were shared by Bixies, Fixies and every shape and size of commuter bike. Lots of slow people. Actually, you can't get a Bixie to go all that fast in the first place. Proper bike lanes would solve a lot of problems but be warned that you would also loose a lot of freedom in using them at busy times. I like the Lakeshore as an East/West route as well as Queensway/King Street. Bloor Street is a bit of a crapshoot and depends on time of day. I use Royal York as it has bike lanes, but also shoot up the Humber Trail depending where I am going. Eglinton is good too as it has a lot of bike lanes and MUPS you can string together if you need to go that far north. Dundas is also pretty good west of Bathurst I find.

  30. #30
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post
    +1...every case of road rage that I've seen between cyclists and drivers began with a confrontation of who was in the other's "space". Sort of like people who go through the express lines in a grocery store with too many items.

    The biggest challenge back when I was involved in city biking was e-bikes, especially those with the peddles removed. Same up here nowadays.

    The province tried to restrict some paths and provincial trails (like Kolapore), prohibiting motorized vehicles, but then the question of electric wheelchairs and crip scooters came up and the legislation went back to the drawing board. The problem became more complicated because a lot of the trails up here are part of the snowmobile network so they can't restrict motorized vehicles just in the summer...seems unfair to some.

    But the police need to enforce the laws for e-bikes with no peddles. The courts have ruled these to be motorcycles and the riders need insurance and motorcycle licences. I was almost hit by one of these bikes running a stop sign, and without insurance, my company would have to pay and recover in court, but would have to prove that the bike was modified. Tough to do after a few months. I'm curious if e-bikes are still allowed on the Marti Goodman Trail...they took up both lanes and hit sustained speeds of over 30km/hr. Not safe.
    As I have said before. The problem with the so called e scooters masquerading as a ebike is our laws. The reason these things are sold with useless cranks is to take advantage aof a gaping hole in the law that as long as there are cranks they can be sold as bicycles.

    Speaking of courts. So it seems for now they are not motorized vehicles. So no license or insurance required. And no reporting to government if the owner sells his to buddy fo 10 pounds of Ganja.

    Ruling confirms e-bikes are not motor vehicles | Canadian Lawyer Legal Feeds

    Problem is when cops pull people over they don't know which sections to nail people with. This does need to be addressed at some point.

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,439
    I don't go to Toronto very often because frankly, I can't stand being there.
    I was there this weekend for NXNE and of course was observing the cyclists on the road. I counted 50% of the cyclist in downtown traffic were riding like jackasses. Weaving through traffic and whatnot. I was so pissed at one point, I felt like dooring one of them... and I'm a roadie.

    No wonder drivers are intolerant.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    95
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    I don't go to Toronto very often because frankly, I can't stand being there.
    I was there this weekend for NXNE and of course was observing the cyclists on the road. I counted 50% of the cyclist in downtown traffic were riding like jackasses. Weaving through traffic and whatnot. I was so pissed at one point, I felt like dooring one of them... and I'm a roadie.

    No wonder drivers are intolerant.
    Absolutely true that there are a lot of idiots on bikes - I see many of them every day, twice a day, and really wish that more cyclists would just obey a few simple rules of the road. Would this change the attitudes of some drivers? Probably, but there are plenty of jackasses in cars / trucks that are much more dangerous than those on bikes, and who simply don't seem capable of acknowledging that a cyclist could easily be their son/daughter/wife/husband/brother/teacher/coworker/doctor/etc., or the impact that hitting someone will have. I think forceful prosecution of drivers who hit or endanger cyclists, in combination with aggressive ticketing of cyclists who break fundamental rules (run red lights/stop signs, or don't have lights at night, for example) is needed to really kick everyone in the pants and make people pay attention.

    To the original point of this thread, I like the regular painted on lanes simply because they create more space on the road, while still allowing flexible manoeuvering by cyclists. Even on roads with two vehicle lanes (Bloor, parts of College/Dundas), in the absence of a bike lane it is dangerous for a car to pass in the same lane as a bike, but that rarely stops anyone from doing it (a few months ago I was even forced onto the curb by a minivan desperate to pass a truck). While impractical to enforce, the idea of a minimum passing distance law is an attractive approach to preventing this.

    Despite the fact that all but one of the car-bike accidents I have had in TO occurred while riding lawfully in a marked bike lane, I still feel they are the best approach to integrating bikes into the downtown core, and that the city really needs to create a much more extensive network of them that connects with the various MUPs in the city. The sharrows currently used on too many routes are worse than useless, as they create a sense of false security for cyclists while being ignored by vehicles.

    Well, that got long-winded...

  33. #33
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    I don't go to Toronto very often because frankly, I can't stand being there.
    I was there this weekend for NXNE and of course was observing the cyclists on the road. I counted 50% of the cyclist in downtown traffic were riding like jackasses. Weaving through traffic and whatnot. I was so pissed at one point, I felt like dooring one of them... and I'm a roadie.

    No wonder drivers are intolerant.
    Some what true. But the sad reality is these day's people are operating cars and rucks as well as bicycles like the world owes them. And while it is concentrated in Toronto so it is much more visible. The sad reality is it is everywhere in Ontario. This is a reflection of society in general these days it seems. And unfortunately it will get worse as we have lost the concept of privilege. Now it seems to be some distorted mentality of rights.

    And it is laughable that some seem to blame this mentality on Rob Ford. Sorry, but the attitude was prevalent before his time as mayor.

  34. #34
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    I don't go to Toronto very often because frankly, I can't stand being there.
    I was there this weekend for NXNE and of course was observing the cyclists on the road. I counted 50% of the cyclist in downtown traffic were riding like jackasses. Weaving through traffic and whatnot. I was so pissed at one point, I felt like dooring one of them... and I'm a roadie.

    No wonder drivers are intolerant.
    just come back from my survival skills training, went to referee a couple of basketball games along burnhamthorpe, dundas, dupont to bathurst and back... it was pretty good. love this route. drivers are fine. i mind my own business, have eyes on 360 degree mode, listen to some good tunes and always have an alternate line. didn't feel any road rage while i was sharing the bike lane with a gorgeous lady in her high heels and tight dress, while she was cranking the big ring. wanted to get real close to her, but someone said that road rage is caused by being to close to other participants in traffic. eek. thats too bad. i didn't even get her name. oops, this could cause this post to be deleted. better get back on topic and post some good material.

    if cagers could weave through the traffic like we can - you better believe they would. i find most of those that weave through the congested traffic - are the most skilled riders. don't condone all the moves, but in general - i enjoy watching some good skills. most of the time they do not affect cagers at all - except when they freak out thinking that the biker does not know what he/she is doing... it's all good as long as no one gets hurt...

    i trust this post will see the light of the next day. thank you!
    Signature

  35. #35
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    As I have said before. The problem with the so called e scooters masquerading as a ebike is our laws. The reason these things are sold with useless cranks is to take advantage aof a gaping hole in the law that as long as there are cranks they can be sold as bicycles.

    Speaking of courts. So it seems for now they are not motorized vehicles. So no license or insurance required. And no reporting to government if the owner sells his to buddy fo 10 pounds of Ganja.

    Ruling confirms e-bikes are not motor vehicles | Canadian Lawyer Legal Feeds

    Problem is when cops pull people over they don't know which sections to nail people with. This does need to be addressed at some point.
    of course drivers want bike lanes - thinking that bike lanes will not eat their own road space but alas. it will. once they realize that bike lanes take away their own space - they are outraged. (Jarvis St).

    so don't kid yourself that cagers would accept bikers in their king size bed as of yet. these studies are flawed by political correctness which goes out the window once "gentlemen, please start your engines" happens.

    by the way, toronto rocks.

    GO LEAFS GO!
    Signature

  36. #36
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,439
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    if cagers could weave through the traffic like we can - you better believe they would. i find most of those that weave through the congested traffic - are the most skilled riders. don't condone all the moves, but in general - i enjoy watching some good skills. most of the time they do not affect cagers at all - except when they freak out thinking that the biker does not know what he/she is doing... it's all good as long as no one gets hurt...

    i trust this post will see the light of the next day. thank you!
    Agreed on the skills.
    My philosophy on road riding is that, if cyclists want to be treated as equals on the road, we should follow the same rules and laws as motorists.

    Otherwise, they will all see our bikes as "toys" and not vehicles.

  37. #37
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,047
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    Agreed on the skills.
    My philosophy on road riding is that, if cyclists want to be treated as equals on the road, we should follow the same rules and laws as motorists.

    Otherwise, they will all see our bikes as "toys" and not vehicles.
    I agree with your comment. I think it is wishful thinking though. Cyclists will not be accepted as equals by cagers. At best - we are an evil that they have to put up with, for the most. We are far from being a tolerant society.
    Signature

  38. #38
    mtbr member
    Reputation: trailtrash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,215
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    a gorgeous lady in her high heels and tight dress, while she was cranking the big ring. wanted to get real close to her
    hmmm....you should have started it off with "I never thought this would happen to me but..."

    If you were to dress this way do you think the drivers would go wide to avoid you or would they try to run you down to put you out of there missery
    Team Van Go

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,439
    That's a good point Trailtrash.
    That's probably why drivers are usually aiming right for me when I wear my sausage-suit.

  40. #40
    More than a little slow
    Reputation: dskunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikingnerd View Post
    I like the regular painted on lanes simply because they create more space on the road, while still allowing flexible manoeuvering by cyclists.
    ....
    The sharrows currently used on too many routes are worse than useless, as they create a sense of false security for cyclists while being ignored by vehicles.
    I agree with your post, bikingnerd, except for bike lanes and sharrows. I really like sharrows and don't have a lot of good to say about bike lanes.

    My opinion is that most people on the road, whether cyclists or drivers, have an overblown sense of entitlement to a portion of the roadway. I think the solid painted line of a bike lane tends to reinforce that sense, “you stay on your side of the line”. Stopped or slow moving vehicles should be pulling to the curb and cyclists should be moving to the inside of the roadway (left) to pass them, make a left turn, etc. All of these moves should be negotiated or at least done safely. By negotiating I mean checking, signaling, asking for room via body language, and getting acknowledgment (one of the reasons why I think dark tinted windows should be banned). It’s actually an amazingly easy and surprisingly effective procedure. No one “owns” any particular portion of the road.

    Having said all of that, I have a hazy idea that what I prefer may be the result of spending most of my time on similar roads. I commute from mid-town Toronto (Eglinton-ish) to north of Hwy 7 on main arteries. I may be being too harsh on bike lanes, so many people seem to love ‘em. Still, for the roads that I ride, I believe that sharrows would be a nice addition and bike lanes would not.

    Oh. And I still believe that Oggie is a god.
    Cheers, Dave

  41. #41
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    hmmm....you should have started it off with "I never thought this would happen to me but..."

    If you were to dress this way do you think the drivers would go wide to avoid you or would they try to run you down to put you out of there missery
    The last thing anyone wants to see is Uncle Oggie hammering down Danforth in a dress and heels.

    *shudders*

  42. #42
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    As I have said before. The problem with the so called e scooters masquerading as a ebike is our laws. The reason these things are sold with useless cranks is to take advantage aof a gaping hole in the law that as long as there are cranks they can be sold as bicycles.

    Speaking of courts. So it seems for now they are not motorized vehicles. So no license or insurance required. And no reporting to government if the owner sells his to buddy fo 10 pounds of Ganja.

    Ruling confirms e-bikes are not motor vehicles | Canadian Lawyer Legal Feeds

    Problem is when cops pull people over they don't know which sections to nail people with. This does need to be addressed at some point.

    The judge was wrong...this is the law:

    7. I have a scooter-style e-bike. Can I remove the pedals and stow them on the e-bike, such as in a storage compartment, to meet the requirement of “equipped with pedals?”

    No. If the pedals have been removed from an e-bike, it is no longer considered to be an e-bike. Removing the pedals makes it an illegal motor vehicle because it does not conform with the Highway Traffic Act definition of a power-assisted bicycle. Operators run the risk of being ticketed for operating a motor vehicle without registration and insurance. If you have concerns with the pedal location you may wish to consider other models and/or styles of e-bikes.


    Electric Bicycles ("e-bikes") - FAQ

    The police have charged and convicted drivers of these modified bikes in other provinces...

    My insurance agent confirms that if it has the peddles removed and can't be "people-powered" then it's a motorcycle (perhaps a reduced speed bike requiring a green plate, but still a motorcycle).

  43. #43
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    Legally, drivers must give cyclists a one metre space (about the length of an out stretched arm) or right of way. Imagine if cars came as close to each other as they do to cyclists.

    Why is Oggie a god?

  44. #44
    banned
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    6,678
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    I agree with your comment. I think it is wishful thinking though. Cyclists will not be accepted as equals by cagers. At best - we are an evil that they have to put up with, for the most. We are far from being a tolerant society.
    BINGO...we have a winner!!!

    That's what everyone has been saying about Rob Ford...he is the Enabler that makes it OK to kill cyclists in Toronto. Urban cycling was much safer before I helped elect him.

  45. #45
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,047
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    hmmm....you should have started it off with "I never thought this would happen to me but..."

    If you were to dress this way do you think the drivers would go wide to avoid you or would they try to run you down to put you out of there missery
    i dress like that often. lately i am hesitant as the guy who helped elect Rob Ford told me Rob Ford would grab my arse like he grabbed Ms Thomson. like... does she even have an arse?

    you know what i am saying?
    Signature

  46. #46
    sock puppet
    Reputation: osokolo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    8,047
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post

    Why is Oggie a god?
    because he says so!
    Signature

  47. #47
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,288
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post
    The judge was wrong...this is the law:

    7. I have a scooter-style e-bike. Can I remove the pedals and stow them on the e-bike, such as in a storage compartment, to meet the requirement of “equipped with pedals?”

    No. If the pedals have been removed from an e-bike, it is no longer considered to be an e-bike. Removing the pedals makes it an illegal motor vehicle because it does not conform with the Highway Traffic Act definition of a power-assisted bicycle. Operators run the risk of being ticketed for operating a motor vehicle without registration and insurance. If you have concerns with the pedal location you may wish to consider other models and/or styles of e-bikes.


    Electric Bicycles ("e-bikes") - FAQ

    The police have charged and convicted drivers of these modified bikes in other provinces...

    My insurance agent confirms that if it has the peddles removed and can't be "people-powered" then it's a motorcycle (perhaps a reduced speed bike requiring a green plate, but still a motorcycle).
    Nice try. While you may think you think you may have me convinced the judge is wrong. But that of course is your interpretation of it based on how you view the world.

    Reality is that the judge made a decision based on information provided by the lawyers for the defense and the Crown. In this case the Crown was not able to convince the judge that the person charged was guilty. Keep in kind that what you put forth would require us to be under English law where you are guilty until proven innocent . Which last I checked we don't follow.

    This system also allows us the citizens the right to have their day in court. Which obviously the individual charged did..exercised their rights. Which funnily enough I have done as well in 2008. As it should be.

  48. #48
    More than a little slow
    Reputation: dskunk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    643
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post
    Legally, drivers must give cyclists a one metre space (about the length of an out stretched arm) or right of way. Imagine if cars came as close to each other as they do to cyclists.

    Why is Oggie a god?
    I’m not 100% sure that a one metre gap is a legal requirement. Wasn’t there a private members bill going through the assembly recently to make that law?
    I agree though that cars push it way too close to cyclists far too frequently.
    And Oggie has to be a god. Nothing human could look like that!
    Cheers, Dave

  49. #49
    9 lives
    Reputation: cyclelicious's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    10,422
    A unique bike lane project is underway in the region

    interesting project
    F*ck Cancer

    Eat your veggies

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    498
    Here's a nice google map of the project status as of Dec 2012. All of the separated lanes that are built, pending or in design study were pre-existing painted lanes. The Richmond Adelaide corridor is said to be at the stage of 'feasibility' study. Each is 4 lanes with no stopping during rush hour for a total of 8. You can get the 2 bike lanes out of 1 full lane so best case that I can see is a 12.5% reduction in rush hour capacity. The loss of rush hour capacity on Jarvis was effectively much higher at 33%, so selling a 12.5% loss to motorists should be comparatively easier. Possibly; but it would be preferable to think of a way to get a positive 'buy-in' reaction from motorists intead of trying to pedal (pun intended, I've seen it the other way around so many times....) a small loss. Bottom line is, I don't see a guy like Denzilman Wong pulling it off. Just think: the collective voice of our taxi fleet, 5000-strong, was not heard on the Jarvis debate but they'll probably be more interested in plans for Richmond/Adelaide. Maybe the next administration will put some better talent on this file.

    https://maps.google.ca/maps/ms?msid=...4&source=embed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Heated bike lanes
    By Rabies010 in forum Commuting
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-26-2012, 01:39 PM
  2. Bike Lanes and the Law
    By mtbxplorer in forum Commuting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-24-2012, 09:34 AM
  3. Sidewalks and Bike Lanes (ABQ)
    By SteveL7 in forum New Mexico
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-21-2011, 08:50 AM
  4. Curbed Bike Lanes for Downtown Toronto!
    By garage monster in forum Eastern Canada
    Replies: 74
    Last Post: 06-21-2011, 10:59 AM
  5. NYC bike lanes- funny video.
    By pmarshall in forum California - Norcal
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-09-2011, 04:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •