Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    pin it

Toronto’s first dedicated bike lanes

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Dorkimus Prime
    That looks slippery when wet. Yikes!
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    If it's the same one they use here in New York City, it's not slippery.
    And I ride in the rain a lot:

My Singfire sf-90 bike light review

pin it
    ^Thanks for the link 1nterceptor

Today is the official launch.
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

banned
    Mar 2005
    It's a good start, let's hope they follow through on streets that people actually use...

mtbr member
    I've ridden them - 1000 times safer than Jarvis.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Name:  9003056467_2ee76da320.jpg
Views: 597
Size:  174.7 KB

Used without permission, but I did give him a link.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post

Exactly my issue with this. As much as I applaud efforts to improve the cycling infrastructure in TO (I bike commute downtown, 20 km/day), the dividers on Sherbourne make it harder for cyclists to go around obstacles, while not preventing the biggest problem with undivided lanes - parked/stopped cars. Rather than spending big bucks on this type of token one-off infrastructure, IMHO they need to focus on filling gaps in the existing bike lane network and ensuring well-marked routes that can take cyclists through the city without dumping them on busy roads lacking bike lanes.

mtbr member
    was Ford there for the unveiling?

(of course I am kidding)
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

This picture does nothing to improve my view of riding busy Toronto streets.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I used to live in Wash. DC, which was significantly worse, but Toronto certainly has a long way to go before it could be considered 'bike-friendly'. Regardless of the inherent dangers of commuting in Toronto, I've seen a significant increase in the numbers of cyclists over the 7 years I've been here, which I find encouraging.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post

(of course I am kidding)
    Yes, he was looking for a crack in the road.

Seriously, this was done to appease all the Jarvis bike lane Pinkos, a lane that goes south from Bloor to nowhere really isn't what we need. Maybe if they did some crosstown east/west routes people would see Toronto as supporting the self-propelled.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Swerny View Post

banned
    Mar 2005
    Is that a Chev?...Doesn't he drive a Caddy?

Mel Lastman was famous for parking on sidewalks and crip spots when he was mayor...was forced to change the plates on his Cadillac limo. Everyone posted pics of the "MAYOR 1" limo blocking traffic.

Anyway, good for him, Toronto needs more bike lanes. I was there last Sunday, riding from Royal York into downtown. Got as far as Spadina because of the construction and Ride for Heart people, stopped for the garlic pizza at Papa Ceo's then rode by the mayor's house on my way back to the car. His road is blocked because of construction as well. He was doing his radio show at the time so no Caddy in the drive.

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Ford's wrong again...the first dedicated bike lanes were on Roncesvalles, opened years ago...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Toronto’s first dedicated bike lanes-li-roncesvalles-620.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Well this made absolutely no sense to me.

Richmond St. and Adelaide St. bike lanes, entering an environmental assessment in the future, will be constructed next year.

The west side route to complete the square network, he said, has been the biggest challenge.

“We’re having a hard time finding a route on that side of the city,” Minnan-Wong said. “There’s been opposition to it on a number of angles, especially on council.”
    Richmond AND Adelaide?? I don't see how either one could possibly get done, for all the same reasons as Jarvis and about a half dozen more. The west side (St. George, already has painted lanes) is the biggest challenge??

On the positive side, it was my distinct impression last winter that the Sherbourne lane was receiving priority snowplow service (ie it got plowed. And salted).

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by JM01 View Post
    Ford's wrong again...the first dedicated bike lanes were on Roncesvalles, opened years ago...
    No where in the Star article linked does it say the Mayor said that.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Is that a Chev?...Doesn't he drive a Caddy?
    Yes, I kid, that's not his car, although he was there, apparently.

mtbr member
    Saw him on the news, doing the ribbon-cutting.

Goddamn Hypochrite!

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    No where in the Star article linked does it say the Mayor said that.
    Just referring to the OP and thread title...David Miller opened the first dedicated bike lane with strong opposition from then Councillor Rob Ford. I was involved with Toronto biking back then and remember him well.

Sadly the Roncesvalles lanes are a disaster because the bike lane goes on and through the TTC platform forcing people to move aside or forcing the cyclists into live lanes and the streetcar tracks. Not safe in snow, frost, and rain...

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    Well this made absolutely no sense to me.

Richmond AND Adelaide?? I don't see how either one could possibly get done, for all the same reasons as Jarvis and about a half dozen more. The west side (St. George, already has painted lanes) is the biggest challenge??

On the positive side, it was my distinct impression last winter that the Sherbourne lane was receiving priority snowplow service (ie it got plowed. And salted).
    It actually does, both Adelaide and Richmond are one way streets with lots of room for a bike lane on both. Bloor would be a good choice as well as there are no streetcars resulting in a wide street.

However, after riding in Toronto last week I'm shocked by the condition of the roads. Bloor, Dundas, Queen are one large pothole. The city has deteriorated as well...dirty, too much graffiti, vacant store fronts left to rot. I recently spent time in the downtown cores of American cities hit hard by their recession, but places like Little Rock, Birmingham, El Paso, Amarillo, Baton Rouge, OKC, etc. are better kept than Toronto. They all have better roads, cleaner streets, no graffiti, and the vacant stores are clean, well kept, and don't stick out as eyesores. Even New Orleans is in better shape after Katrina than Toronto. Toronto can learn a lot from these places...well, maybe not Lubbock...

banned
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bike_lanes.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	57.2 KB 
ID:	806868

The start of a bigger network
    Why we need more bike lanes....

Why I will never ride a bike again

Most Canadians believe that bicycling is a good thing. They want more bike infrastructure and they want to see more bikes on the road......

Why I will never ride a bike again - The Globe and Mail

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Why we need more bike lanes....

Why I will never ride a bike again

Most Canadians believe that bicycling is a good thing. They want more bike infrastructure and they want to see more bikes on the road......

Why I will never ride a bike again - The Globe and Mail
    Not so much we need more bike lanes. We need more then just more bike lanes.

I find it kind of funny how much tunnel vision Toronto has about bike lanes. Like that will be the complete solution and in the end still ends up a mess. Completely disconnecting bunch of routes.

Since you brought up other cities. When ever I go back home to Van it is night and day when it comes to this. Minimal bike lanes but lots of routes through out Van that are signed. Quiet streets with minimal traffic. Traffic lights with the button on a pole easily accessed by a cyclist. No need to get on sidewalks or having to do a courier like maneuver.

But of course this will all be fixed with the Bike Lane tunnel vision.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'm typically not one to get involved in "bike politics" discussion, but this was a street I rode every day for years. This new bike lane is a pain in the ass and I now take different route to work to avoid it. Unless there are no other cyclists around it is a nuisance to ride that lane and just creates congestion.

Cyclists don't get hit from behind. Accidents occur in intersections, which are unaffected by those cement barriers. The curbs just make it harder for cyclists to pass cars that park in the bike lane anyways, or to pass other cyclists.

pin it
    Interesting study looking at drivers’ attitudes toward bike lanes

According to surveys conducted in two major California metropolitan areas (Los Angeles and San Francisco) bike lanes make everyone feel safer — even drivers. Drivers, cyclists and pedestrians were asked what kinds of street treatments would make them feel safer, giving them a list of safety improvements to choose from. Most drivers said their top priority was bike lanes.

In general, there’s less potential for conflict between drivers and cyclists when they each have their own space.

here's a link describing the findings which are part of a current study

In California Cities, Drivers Want More Bike Lanes. Here?s Why. | Streetsblog Capitol Hill
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast