mtbr member
    Nov 2010

TORBA group ride: Etobicoke Creek - Sept 14th

I've recently received confirmation that it's now official. There will be a TORBA social ride on the Etobicoke Creek trails on Saturday Sept. 14th. Details are as follows:

------------------------------------------
    Etobicoke Creek Mountain Bike Trail Day - Group Ride

Saturday, Sept 14, 2013
    Start time: 10am

All Etobicoke Creek Natural Dirt Trails!!

Start Location: Fairgrounds Coffee,
    3785 Lake Shore Blvd W, Etobicoke

Riding North from Marie Curtis, all the way to the airport near Centennial Park, 16+km of technical ravine single track, with only 1 connector.. Don't miss a guided ride through these great West Toronto Trails. With a few stops along the way..!

Brought to you by TORBA (Toronto Off Road Bicycle Association), & the Oxygen Bicycle Company.

-----If you please, Helmets are mandatory-----

See you there.
    ---------------------------------------

The local crew has been hard at work for the last couple months clearing out all the fallen trees and debris from the big flood in July. The trails are ready to go. Hope to see some new faces on the ride and if you have any questions, ask away. I'm one of the locals on the trail and I'm in touch with the guys who will be leading the ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    This is great. Long time cyclist but new to mountain biking and have been exploring the Etobicoke Creek Trails on my own for a bit but I think there's probably a lot more that I'm missing.

Some of the technical parts of the trail have me either going slow or getting off to walk...especially those places where there is what feels like a 6 story drop to the creek below.

Will you guys be okay with a beginner rider? I don't want to hold anyone up?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    No problem at all, we have enough locals that we can split the group up if needed and have a group that does the easier options while the other group does the high risk cliff edge routes. I've taken beginners into the trails and other than a few scrapes & falls they haven't come out any worse for wear. You'll be fine.

mtbr member
    I am going to try to make it as well. I guess it is best to park at Marie Curtis and ride over to Fairgrounds. From Google, it shows it just a bit east of the park.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    I'm always looking for new places to ride near the city. I'm in. Is this rain or shine? and if not will it be updated here if it's cancelled last minute?
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I'm not sure if it'll be rain or shine, I suspect it will be rescheduled if it rains since the trail gets ugly in the wet.
    I will update this thread with a final go/no go post on Friday.
    Hopefully, the weather forecast is correct and everything will be good to go.

mtbr member
    10-4 Looking forward to it.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Free hub broke on my bike today. Waiting for a new wheel so I can't make it Sat. Have fun everyone.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Did a loop around the trails earlier today. Everything is good to go and the ride is on!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Excellent! I'm very excited. See you all tomorrow.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    Did a loop around the trails earlier today. Everything is good to go and the ride is on!
    i might come out for a couple of hours ride with the group...
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    It seems the locals' familiarity with the trails caused us to severely underestimate the difficulty and amount of time it would it would take to complete the ride. There were some rough moments but I think it was a success overall since no one died. And yes, there was a special guest appearance by osokolo.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Great pics and a fun event for sure. Although I've been biking for a long time, mountain biking is completely new to me. Those trails really challenged my handling skills today. However, I had a ton of fun! Thank you to the organizers for putting this together. I'm sure it was a bit of work and I want to thank you guys. Well done.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Oh and that 11 year old boy - rockstar!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by caius View Post
    Oh and that 11 year old boy - rockstar!
    No kidding, give him another 5 years and I'm going to get hurt trying to follow him around!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Question - Is there a TORBA website or forum or this the best place to get info on what's going on in T.O.?

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by caius View Post
    Question - Is there a TORBA website or forum or this the best place to get info on what's going on in T.O.?
    why yes there is. there is the torba facebook page. there also the "riding feels good" forum. also you can ask or pm here. i'm an torba upper humber river director. or i can put you in touch with the director in the area you are interested in.

just keep in mind T.O. is a pretty big place with the rouge, don, humber etobicoke watersheds.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    I'm really sorry I missed that group ride and a chance to meet the (in)famous Osokolo. I could not get out of a prior commitment. However, I did the ride on Sunday. I got dropped off at Matheson, to find there is no access there. As I was contemplating some fence jumping and bushwacking, another rider asked me if I was trying to access the trail and pointed me to the entrance on Sismet Road. I promptly found a trail head on the west side of the river, and followed it up and down. Between this point and south to Burnhamthorpe there are some really close to the edge trails. If you don't like this type of thing, I would not recommend it. There is an awesome rooty descent once you come down south of Eglinton. Basically I stayed on the west side of the river until the golf course, and then rode the portion south of Dundas on the east side. This is a nice continuous section all the way to the back of the hospital. I doubled back a couple of times to get in all the loops I could find. I really enjoyed the ride. With all the exploring and a bit of a detour on the road, it took a bit longer than I expected. I ended up roading it home once I hit the Lakeshore. This is a nice bit of dirt right in the city. It was nice enjoyable ride. Can anyone that knows the trails post up the locations where there are trails on both sides of the creek if any? Would be greatly appreciated.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    There's 2 loops to the trail system; the north loop starts at Burnhamthorpe and goes all the way to the 401 with trails on both sides of the river in one continuous loop, the south loop starts at Dundas and goes to the hospital, once again with trails on both sides in a big loop. South of the hospital there's trails on the east side going all the way down to Lakeshore with short segments of paved path riding in between to link them all up. It sounds like you got somewhere between half and 2/3 of the trail system, last time I checked there was about 25km of trails in the 2 loops, plus another couple in the section between the hospital and the Lakeshore.

mtbr member
    I got everything on the West side north of Burnanthorpe and everything on the East side south of Dundas to the Lakeshore for sure. I spent lots of time exploring. I will try the other sides on my next ride. Looking forward to it. Thanks.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Here are the two loops in Etobicoke Creek

Here are the two loops in Etobicoke Creek. They were originally designed to run counter-clockwise but either direction seems to work fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TORBA group ride: Etobicoke Creek - Sept 14th-burnhamthorpe-matheson-loop.jpg  

TORBA group ride: Etobicoke Creek - Sept 14th-dundas-sherway-loop.jpg  

mtbr member
    ^ Nice. I'm going to try to make it out there before the snow hits this fall. Always looking for new trails.
    Do you have this mapped on Strava or Garemin connect or similar so we can zoom in and out for reference and street names?
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Or you could just send me a message since I conduct guided tours of the place.
    I've led about a dozen rides there for riders of all levels so I can put together something fun for everyone.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I don't have any current Garmin data but I shall generate some with a trail run on both loops this fall.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Those summer pictures with green all over look amazing; meanwhile these are from today, Saturday 16th of November
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails TORBA group ride: Etobicoke Creek - Sept 14th-dsc01201.jpg  

TORBA group ride: Etobicoke Creek - Sept 14th-dsc01202.jpg  

TORBA group ride: Etobicoke Creek - Sept 14th-dsc01203.jpg  

TORBA group ride: Etobicoke Creek - Sept 14th-dsc01206.jpg  

TORBA group ride: Etobicoke Creek - Sept 14th-dsc01210.jpg  

TORBA group ride: Etobicoke Creek - Sept 14th-dsc01211.jpg  

TORBA group ride: Etobicoke Creek - Sept 14th-dsc01212.jpg