Does anyone know where we could get our hands on ti bolts in Ontario

humber river advocate
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

banned
    Sep 2011
    does this guy have a store or???
    Can we pick up or is it just mail order ?

humber river advocate
    your guess is as good as mine, but he has been around for a while.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

sheep in FOX clothing
    He is mail order only.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Not sure if you have any previous experience with Ti fasteners, but depending on what material you are threading them into you should be aware of the potential for galling with a reactive metal like Ti. The technical details from the materials engineering side are above my pay grade, but suffice to say that it's not a good practice to a dry install with Ti fasteners threaded into any other metal. Fasteners that are low torque, or are more likely to be removed and reinstalled without significant time gaps in between can probably do fine with grease.

Anything that is higher torque, intended to be left for extended periods, or Ti threaded into Ti and you should probably be looking instead at a copper-based anti seize prep for the threads. Bike stores sometimes carry "Ti Prep" (e.g. Finish Line branded product) but you can also get copper anti seize from just about any auto parts supplier at a fraction of the cost by unit volume (although you may end up with a larger amount than you ever need for a lifetime).

I may be telling you what you already know, but figured better safe than sorry. If anyone with more specific engineering knowledge would like to add or refute anything above, please feel free to help educate.

mtbr member
    I have a Truvative Stylo World Cup stem. Aluminum stem, Ti bolts. It seems like it came from the factory dry threaded. It's not that old and I don't have much experience with Ti bolts, so I can't say if it is, or will be, a problem or not.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by smilinsteve View Post
    I have a Truvative Stylo World Cup stem. Aluminum stem, Ti bolts. It seems like it came from the factory dry threaded. It's not that old and I don't have much experience with Ti bolts, so I can't say if it is, or will be, a problem or not.
    Could be fine???

Speaking for myself only, I don't dry thread any fasteners. Mostly greased threads, with selective application of thread lock compound or copper anti seize paste for specific fasteners where it makes sense.

I'm even using carbon assembly paste on an increasing number of (non-threaded) component interfaces these days, even those that aren't necessarily carbon, to prevent slip without need for excessive torque.

Maybe I'm just overly attentive on this area of bike assembly and maintenance?

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Maybe I'm the only guy attentive of bike assembly and maintenance.
    fixed.

(well I would have never bothered with that...)

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    fixed.
    Touché.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by the bob View Post
    Does anyone know where we could get our hands on ti bolts in Ontario
    What application do you need the Ti bolts for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Signature

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Maybe I'm just overly attentive on this area of bike assembly and Ham Fistery?
    FYP

banned
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    What application do you need the Ti bolts for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not any particular application I just want to replace all my bolts with Ti
    I got in touch with that link and ordered what I needed ( wanted ) Thanks guys

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It might be a good idea to send an email to Toronto Cycles separately, advising him that you ordered. When I ordered, the notification from his software got hung up somewhere in the Internetz, and it wasn't until I followed up that he found out. He was very gracious about it, and I got the order quickly after that.

banned
    Sep 2011

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    It might be a good idea to send an email to Toronto Cycles separately, advising him that you ordered. When I ordered, the notification from his software got hung up somewhere in the Internetz, and it wasn't until I followed up that he found out. He was very gracious about it, and I got the order quickly after that.
    Cheers ... Thanks dude

mtbr member
    Toronto Cycles is cool and it's not just for Canadians. I've had them ship stuff to Colorado a couple of times. Very quick, and nice people to deal with. Fair prices and cheap shipping, but they use regular post and it kind of stinks not getting a tracking number.

sock puppet

you are the first

baggie with platforms weight weenie rider that i know...

i can see switch to spandex and clipless with titanium spindle just around the corner...

unless titanium bolts are used for something else other than saving weight - in which case - please do share.

i do use titanium bolts with my brake calipers, just because they came with them. never purchased any other titanium hardware...

No. Just No. Moderator
    There have been many world cup DHers that were or are known to be notorious weight weenies, sometimes even having their race frames built out of lighter tubing than stock, and treated as having a very short disposable lifespan.

Evil Jr.
    There have been many world cup DHers that were or are known to be notorious weight weenies, sometimes even having their race frames built out of lighter tubing than stock, and treated as having a very short disposable lifespan.
    I'd almost venture to say that weight saving innovations are bigger in DH that in XC right now. It's a lot easier to shave weight off a 35lb bike than one that's already 20lbs.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    unless titanium bolts are used for something else other than saving weight - in which case - please do share.
    To me, there are several reasons why one would use titanium bolts:

1. Weight. Note that the savings are negligible, but there are savings to be had. If you are trying to get the weight of your bike below a target, and have done everything you can to get there, except replace the bolts, that negligible savings might get you across the line.

2. Aesthetics. Personally, I like the looks of a bike that has matching bolts throughout.

3. Just because. I have thought a lot about what goes on my bike. Why not finish off a great build with titanium bolts?

And finally, there is a certain satisfaction to be had with turning a titanium bolt into a frame - it feels so much smoother than a narsty old steel bolt, for example.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    To me, there are several reasons why one would use titanium bolts:

1. Weight. Note that the savings are negligible, but there are savings to be had. If you are trying to get the weight of your bike below a target, and have done everything you can to get there, except replace the bolts, that negligible savings might get you across the line.

2. Aesthetics. Personally, I like the looks of a bike that has matching bolts throughout.

3. Just because. I have thought a lot about what goes on my bike. Why not finish off a great build with titanium bolts?

And finally, there is a certain satisfaction to be had with turning a titanium bolt into a frame - it feels so much smoother than a narsty old steel bolt, for example.
    4. They don't rust
    5. They come in colors

sock puppet

well, i stand corrected...

4. They don't rust
    5. They come in colors
    who am i to challenge the distinguished members like smarty and circlip, not to mention GM and smilinsteve... i guess i have ways to go before i start buying bolts in colours...

banned
    Sep 2011

i can see switch to spandex and clipless with titanium spindle just around the corner...

i do use titanium bolts with my brake calipers, just because they came with them. never purchased any other titanium hardware...

What can I say dude because I can ????

Ok on a serious note yes it is to save weight ,,, and no saving weight is not just for Lycra lilies ,,, where needed you add and where you can you save ... Let me give you an example . I just changed my front hub from 9 mill Q R. to 15 mil and gained 8 oz but between the new fork and wheel the stiffness is worth the 8 oz. And if I can drop 4 oz by changing all my bolts to ti. Hey why not.

sheep in FOX clothing
    4. They don't rust
    I am getting mildly irked that my stem bolts turn orange inside after three months.

Evil Jr.
    i guess i have ways to go before i start buying bolts in colours...
    Oh please, you're talking to a guy that buys different colour cable ends!

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast