mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Thanksgiving Sunday 60-100km Pickering to Don Valley ride

I'm gauging interest in running a shortened version of last years Thanksgiving ride. Starting at Pickering GO station at 8am Sunday we'd ride as much trails as possible on our way to the Don. Water and snacks will be available at about 2 hour intervals. Arrive at the Don in Taylor Creek Park around 2pm after riding 60-70km. Where the ride goes from there depends on the riders that made it that far and how far they want to go.

Bail out options are plentiful with Go stations and TTC service once we reach Scarborough.

This was last year: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Thanksgiving Odyssey 2012 near Pickering | Times and Records | Strava The good stuff in Greenwood has been shut down so the first 30-35km of that ride will be cut out.

Anyone interested?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I wish I could.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post
    I'm gauging interest in running a shortened version of last years Thanksgiving ride. Starting at Pickering GO station at 8am Sunday we'd ride as much trails as possible on our way to the Don. Water and snacks will be available at about 2 hour intervals. Arrive at the Don in Taylor Creek Park around 2pm after riding 60-70km. Where the ride goes from there depends on the riders that made it that far and how far they want to go.

Bail out options are plentiful with Go stations and TTC service once we reach Scarborough.

This was last year: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Thanksgiving Odyssey 2012 near Pickering | Times and Records | Strava The good stuff in Greenwood has been shut down so the first 30-35km of that ride will be cut out.

Anyone interested?
    agh, we would love to do this again! But we are doing another ride on Sunday. Would you be open to doing it on Saturday?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Sorry Louda. We've got a handful of people already on board for this that can only do it on the Sunday.

I would have posted earlier about this, but we decided on it just the other day after last year vowing to NOT do it on a holiday weekend because of the complications.

We usually do a monster ride on Labour day too. Last year about 100km. This year I hit 167 by the time I got home. We'll let you guys know in advance of anything big.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    SOunds good. Have a great ride!

mtbr member
    I was up early and was going to come for the first 40-50k or so until I saw the downpour out the window and crawled back under the covers. Hope you all had a good run.
    GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Most confirmed riders made the same call and let me know. I went down to the station in the car just in case anyone did show up. For once I was happy to see no bikes getting off the train.

I'm talking with some of the core group about doing the opposite ride tomorrow ending at my place. I'll post if it's going to go.

Burnt Orange Lives
    umm, i fully expected that you guys complete the ride, despite the element.

it makes a lot of sense to move it for tomorrow... now i am a firm maybe, if it happens..
    Signature

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nickboers View Post

Anyone interested?
    How do you ride for over 7 hours, cover 127 km and only burn 3226 calories? Was it all downhill and were you sleeping at the same time?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    When it doesn't have heart rate information Strava estimates the calories based on speed an elevation. My bike computer has a heart rate monitor. When I'm riding the road bike the numbers are reasonably close, but Strava calories are much lower when riding lots of trail.

It was probably closer to 5500.