mtbr member
    May 2004

Thanks you to someone at the WCC Trails

I just wanted to take a chance and thank 2 people that I will most likely never find but taking a stab here.

I was on the WCC trail on the 20th of Aug in the early morning and afternoon and took a pretty good bail. Seperated my AC, forget about 18 hours from a concussion, fractured 2 ribs and stressed the crap out of my back muscles.

I was in from London when it happened and basically woke up in the hospital.

I got somehow to the trail head but the person who came and got me said I said someone helped me out of the trail. I was disoriented and lost and they really helped. (looks like from the Edge GPS that is happened in Kamakazi) SO THANK YOU

From there a friend was trying to get directions from me (cause in a deranged state I was giving directions like a lost monkey) and they found someone not too far with a MTB on the roof, stopped them and they got directions SO THANK YOU

The Helmet is write off and there will be no long term effects (shoulder is the 2nd time, few weeks and we will be back to 95%). Bike is fine.

SO thanks to the 2 people that helped, 1 prob unknowingly.

KIN/Chris
    Last edited by KINBOY; 09-07-2011 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Spelling
    Yes its retro but IT WORKS!

8 Speed is great and V-Brakes rock!

Ex-wrench...have a Question just ask!

Evil Jr.
    This isn't the first accident I've seen in Kamikaze. The last one I saw was a collar bone done in. I'm glad for your sake, bad as it was, that it wasn't worse. Healing vibes!

Mountain bikers, by and large, are excellent people and it sounds like your guardian angels were some fine examples!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

namagomi
    Heal up quick. Go easy on the aerobic exercise after a hard concussion like that. I've seen research that decent aerobic exercise immediately after causes the brain to swell further which can worsen any symptom and lengthen recovery. So, if it were me - i'd start back slow.

Almost ate it there after ran outta speed on the berm(did some Wylie E. Coyote ****) - It was covered in ice though. Moral of my story... go faster or not at all!

What sorta bike did you have, the person who you met probably remembers that.

mtbr member
    scary accident....
    heal up KINBOY!

props to those who helped!!!
    FAQ YOU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by KINBOY View Post
    I just wanted to take a chance and thank 2 people that I will most likely never find but taking a stab here.

I was on the WCC trail on the 20th of Aug in the early morning and afternoon and took a pretty good bail. Seperated my AC, forget about 18 hours from a concussion, fractured 2 ribs and stressed the crap out of my back muscles.

I was in from London when it happened and basically woke up in the hospital.

I got somehow to the trail head but the person who came and got me said I said someone helped me out of the trail. I was disoriented and lost and they really helped. (looks like from the Edge GPS that is happened in Kamakazi) SO THANK YOU

From there a friend was trying to get directions from me (cause in a deranged state I was giving directions like a lost monkey) and they found someone not too far with a MTB on the roof, stopped them and they got directions SO THANK YOU

The Helmet is write off and there will be no long term effects (shoulder is the 2nd time, few weeks and we will be back to 95%). Bike is fine.

SO thanks to the 2 people that helped, 1 prob unknowingly.

KIN/Chris
    This is a great example of what the mtb community really is...A great group of folks with a similar passion that are willing to help a chap like yourself in need. This is very inspiring and a nice share on your part to get away from the bickering between riding styles that goes on here too often...

Heal up and take care of yourself. Ride strong again ASAP!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks, good point. Trek 9xxx series hard tail. I was wearing a London MTB Club Green Jersey

Did a recomended recovery, spent a week no bright lights and computers low activity. Aerobic was 10 days after. No HR above 140 for the next week and then I will spin only for 2 weeks. (You would think I have done this before!!!)

The shoulder and ribs will hold me back more than anything else for a few weeks more. Still hurts a bit to breathe more than a normal breath.

Thanks for all the well wishes!

Evil Jr.
    The shoulder and ribs will hold me back more than anything else for a few weeks more. Still hurts a bit to breathe more than a normal breath.
    When I cracked a rib, a friend lent me a special girdle (I think you can get them at the pharmacy) that helped a lot for exercise. It wasn't so much the support it provided as the limit it put on the expansion of my rib cage that made the difference. Although I couldn't breathe as deeply, at least I wasn't getting sharp pain with every breath.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    When I cracked a rib, a friend lent me a special girdle (I think you can get them at the pharmacy) that helped a lot for exercise. It wasn't so much the support it provided as the limit it put on the expansion of my rib cage that made the difference. Although I couldn't breathe as deeply, at least I wasn't getting sharp pain with every breath.
    Did you have to grow a handlebar moustache?

sheep in FOX clothing
    When I cracked a rib, a friend lent me a special girdle (I think you can get them at the pharmacy) that helped a lot for exercise.
    Hmm. Bruised a rib on my Don-PA crash Sunday and have been using it as an excuse since then. This should serve to remind me it's not much of an injury, really.

ez5
    mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    lots of people get hurt on kamikaze, probably because everything else at HC is intermediate, they assume its the same. shoulder + ribs is the worst, cant breathe when you are laying down, all the best!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks for all the well wishes. I have recovered 90%, back road riding but no MTB for a bit as it hurts to lift the front of the bike.

My issue on Kamakazi has always been going down and using the wall ride features and someone blasts down the ccenter. No idea if that was the issue.

There needs to be a warning at the top, but I digress, really it is a sport injury, I will live.

Thanks again for all the well wishes!

KIN

mtbr member
    Your thanks to the people will probably get back to them. Even though we are spread all over eastern Canada, it really is a small community.
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

Evil Jr.
    My issue on Kamakazi has always been going down and using the wall ride features and someone blasts down the ccenter. No idea if that was the issue.
    Funny, my issue has always been clearing the first "paved" section!

All kidding aside, you're right. If anyone is coming down the middle when you're building up speed on one of the downslopes, it could get messy.

Ironically enough, I did it to myself last time we were there. I gave Mrs. Monster strict instructions to ride the chicken line (on account of her current "condition"). Dutifully (and somewhat unexpectedly), she coasted down the middle to watch me ride the turns.

Well, naturally, I panicked, fearing that I'd take her out on the way down. I performed a flawless "West Coast Bail" and lost only a little skin in the bargain.

Fatherhood takes you to strange places.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    When you ride the high line on Kamikaze the upper turns all allow you to naturally slow or even pause slightly at the apex. You can look ahead and make sure you're not going to t-bone anyone on the low line before swooping back down. The first handful of turns can be ridden with very few pedal strokes if you are willing to stay mostly off the brakes.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by back40 View Post
    When you ride the high line on Kamikaze the upper turns all allow you to naturally slow or even pause slightly at the apex. You can look ahead and make sure you're not going to t-bone anyone on the low line before swooping back down. The first handful of turns can be ridden with very few pedal strokes if you are willing to stay mostly off the brakes.
    That's what I don't like about kamikaze! It just doesn't flow right through those high corners. To keep good corner speed you have to pedal and it still doesn't flow all that nice!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by back40 View Post
    The first one is the toughest though with all the armouring, it's tricky to hold on to enough momentum to make it through the sand at the top without taking a pedal stroke. I think I've managed to coast it perfectly exactly once. (Yes, I know I'm not doing myself any favours on a rigid SS. )

namagomi
    The first one is the toughest though with all the armouring, it's tricky to hold on to enough momentum to make it through the sand at the top without taking a pedal stroke. I think I've managed to coast it perfectly exactly once. (Yes, I know I'm not doing myself any favours on a rigid SS. )