mtbr member

Tandem Bike at Kelso

Was out at Kelso yesterday. Saw someone ripping it up over a rock section on a tandem with a younger girl at the back. It was nice to see the skills on such a beast and awesome to see someone get their kid into it this way. No way the child would have been able to ride this stuff on their own. The dad gets to ride awesome terrain and can involve their child. It was good all around.

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A firend sent me the link to this post. That was me and my daughter.

What I usually hear from my daughter behind me is: 'Sombooody's going to get huurt!'

I did drop the tandem in Rough Trade - the really wide bars on the tandem that are great for wrestling with the extra mass are not so good on the twisties.

If you were wondering, it's a Ventana El Conquistador des Montagnes (ECdM).

A tandem is a great way for the kids to ride, and beats a Trail-a-bike style unit by a long shot, but the entry cost is pretty steep. Originally bought this one to ride with my wife, but the timing was poor as we had kids right afterwards.

Now it's a good excuse for me to get out with one of the kids. Good workout for me too :-)

We try not to stop too much as the kids need assitance to clip in right now. Once they master that then stops/starts will be a lot quicker - then I have to teach them the running mount.

Rob

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rbs View Post
    then I have to teach them the running mount.
    You are going to be primed and ready for tandem cyclo-cross. ;-)

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    ready for tandem cyclo-cross. ;-)
    :-) I was picturing the P2A. I need to work them up to 3 hours on the bike.

Dorkimus Prime
    rbs, we may need pictures of this. Sounds awesome.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    I never expected to see a tandem out on the trails. I spend a lot of time in the Agreement Forest, and I would have been more than impressed if I saw you there.
    I am not sure it is possible to get a tandem around some of the twisty sections on Rough Trade. Hard enough to get my regular bike around with any kind of speed. I would love to see you try to get over that little bridge that goes between two trees on the Xtreme,
    I considered a tandem for my wife for the road but she was not all that certain about it. Even used, they are pretty pricey.
    Keep up the good work out there.

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    A few years ago, I'm not sure I would have tried Kelso, but sadly the trails are getting quite wide. I've ridden all of RoughTrade with the tandem including the log over. The only spot I can't ride clean on that trail is where the two halves meet - the really tight corner around the tree.

I rode the tandem with a trail-a-bike through Xtreem last year. On the rocky bits I'd hop off and the kids would pedal. I'd just guide the bike. (The guys I ride with would then snarkily point out that my kids rode all of Xtreem where I had to walk sections )

The tandem has a very high BB height - 16" front and 14" rear. So there is a lot that we can just ride over. I walked the bike over the rock drop in Lora's Run and never touched the boom-tube. There's only one log in Xtreem that touches.

We rode Puslinch two weeks ago - again with the trail-a-bike - and there were a few corners where I had to hop off to manhandle the trail-a-bike through the turns. But we rode much more than I had expected.

Here's a visual - the kids and I, but not our tandem:
    Tandem Bike at Kelso-img_6163-5.jpg

Dorkimus Prime
    Nice shot, I've never seen a 26 inch wheeled trail-a-bike! Nice setup.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Nice shot, I've never seen a 26 inch wheeled trail-a-bike! Nice setup.
    I think it's 24". This one is also a 7 speed.

But I would look for a different brand than Adams. The coupler just has too much play in it and it can be very disconcerting.

Rob

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    I never expected to see a tandem out on the trails. I spend a lot of time in the Agreement Forest, and I would have been more than impressed if I saw you there.
    I am not sure it is possible to get a tandem around some of the twisty sections on Rough Trade. Hard enough to get my regular bike around with any kind of speed. I would love to see you try to get over that little bridge that goes between two trees on the Xtreme,
    I considered a tandem for my wife for the road but she was not all that certain about it. Even used, they are pretty pricey.
    Keep up the good work out there.
    My friends John & Arienne have tandem road & mtbikes ( Arienne doesn't ride solo!!)...I am amazed what they can ride on the mtbike, here they are at The Barrens..

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    My friends John & Arienne have tandem road & mtbikes ( Arienne doesn't ride solo!!)...I am amazed what they can ride on the mtbike, here they are at The Barrens.
    Looks like more Ventana goodness. I'd love to have one myself if I had oodles of spare cash, room to store it, and someone who wanted to ride it with me. ;-)

mtbr member
    I would gladly spend the money if I was sure it would my wife out more for MTB and road rides. I would use that as extra riding opportunities. I have broached the subject, but she is not all that committed.

Hi BCD. I am in the middle of a bathroom reno. Dying to get up there soon.

Muskoka
    I would gladly spend the money if I was sure it would my wife out more for MTB and road rides. I would use that as extra riding opportunities. I have broached the subject, but she is not all that committed.

Hi BCD. I am in the middle of a bathroom reno. Dying to get up there soon.
    You would want a solid commitment for sure. A FS Ventana tandem mtbike like John's is more spendy than you would think!!!

mtbr member
    I saw one used on Pinkbike for 4K. I think they are around 5500.00 new.

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I saw one used on Pinkbike for 4K. I think they are around 5500.00 new.
    Umm. Yes. I don't know how I managed to buy ours. It started during an business trip, bored, surfing the web.

Here's some current pricing.
    Ventana

The best way is to borrow one to try it out.

Muskoka
    I remember John saying he bought theirs when the CDN dollar was worth ~$0.60 US. I think his was well north of 10K at that time! And bikes have come down a bit considering the technology today.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbs View Post
    Umm. Yes. I don't know how I managed to buy ours. It started during an business trip, bored, surfing the web.

Here's some current pricing.
    Ventana

The best way is to borrow one to try it out.
    Well you're the only one I know that has one....
    I would not ask unless I was serious about getting one. I actually looked at getting a tandem road/cx style bike. I was not aware that there were such good MTB options in a tandem. My thought was to buy something relatively cheap, used and see how much use it got. My wife seems to be riding less each year, opting for running, so the tandem thing will probably not work out.

rbs
    mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So if you ever get serious, then ping me. It's entirely possible we could work something out.

mtbr member
    Much appreciated. I think if we do end up with a tandem, it will be more geared towards road/cx.