mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Take Action: Copeland Forest Riders Meeting Oct. 23

IMBA Canada News Take Action Copeland Forest Riders Meeting Oct 23

We have had discussions about this issue in this forum, now we get a chance to show our numbers and have a say at this open house.

namagomi
    Do you have any meeting notes from this?

Did anybody get to meet local guys satan or bill - or did they stay at home swearing!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I did attend along with about 99 other mountain bike use supporters. The group was quite diverse, the local garden horticultural group aka - local trail builders, numerous bike shops, local area riders, bike clubs and other riders from all over - Dundas, Toronto, Gravenhurst, Wasaga Beach,etc and the original representative that helped the Copeland family get the land deemed for recreational use. The Couchiching Conservatory focus is scientific and ecological conservation, identifying sensitive areas and removing evasive species, tree planting, restore streams, overall land care. They have embarked on a three year project and are promoting a Stewardship Initiative, which will focus on their needs as well as the other user groups.
    This is essentially our chance to ensure we have representation and to keep trail access open. The reason this has come about is increased trail use and conflicts between the different user groups, now escalated to the MNR. We are the first group to actually hold a meeting with the Couchiching Conservatory, next will be the Equestrians.There is about 15 - 20 users groups but the Mountain Bike segment number wise is the greatest, however some other groups have been in this game longer and are better established as "one voice" and also better funded...
    The focus is to create a committee who will work with the various mountain bike stakeholder to create a unified voice for the above initiative. The meeting went well, specific agendas were sidelined for now, we all realize we have a common goal. Possible directors have been listed which I will not list, this will evolve and become public knowledge soon enough. A new "club" might be created to facilitate a more cohesive approach and collective focus. There is much more but I have touched on the highlights. If you want more information you could contact Dorthea Hangaard, Project Coordinator at 705-326-1620 or wait for further updates from IMBA.
    Defiant MTB - nothing complicated just ride....

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by inmysights View Post
    I did attend along with about 99 other mountain bike use supporters. The group was quite diverse, the local garden horticultural group aka - local trail builders, numerous bike shops, local area riders, bike clubs and other riders from all over - Dundas, Toronto, Gravenhurst, Wasaga Beach,etc and the original representative that helped the Copeland family get the land deemed for recreational use. The Couchiching Conservatory focus is scientific and ecological conservation, identifying sensitive areas and removing evasive species, tree planting, restore streams, overall land care. They have embarked on a three year project and are promoting a Stewardship Initiative, which will focus on their needs as well as the other user groups.
    This is essentially our chance to ensure we have representation and to keep trail access open. The reason this has come about is increased trail use and conflicts between the different user groups, now escalated to the MNR. We are the first group to actually hold a meeting with the Couchiching Conservatory, next will be the Equestrians.There is about 15 - 20 users groups but the Mountain Bike segment number wise is the greatest, however some other groups have been in this game longer and are better established as "one voice" and also better funded...
    The focus is to create a committee who will work with the various mountain bike stakeholder to create a unified voice for the above initiative. The meeting went well, specific agendas were sidelined for now, we all realize we have a common goal. Possible directors have been listed which I will not list, this will evolve and become public knowledge soon enough. A new "club" might be created to facilitate a more cohesive approach and collective focus. There is much more but I have touched on the highlights. If you want more information you could contact Dorthea Hangaard, Project Coordinator at 705-326-1620 or wait for further updates from IMBA.
    Great info!

now a SSchwinger
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    Do you have any meeting notes from this?

Did anybody get to meet local guys satan or bill - or did they stay at home swearing!
    Our local I.M.B.A. rep outlined what we as MTBers have to do to stay relevant in the eyes of the MNR: have a single, united voice representing all mountain bikers.

At one point, specific MTB agendas were being attacked and it was Bill who reminded everyone that this meeting's purpose was to unite the riders of Copeland... he didn't even swear

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I also attended and found it interesting that all the rhetoric that has been spewing (ad nauseam) about Copeland the last while; was just that. It appears from the large group that was there that the majority are against using this as a race venue and the thoughtless promotion of the trails there. I hope that the representatives that signed up to spearhead this new MTB group heard this from the (soon to be) membership and advocate for them.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I also attended and found it interesting that all the rhetoric that has been spewing (ad nauseam) about Copeland the last while; was just that. It appears from the large group that was there that the majority are against using this as a race venue and the thoughtless promotion of the trails there. I hope that the representatives that signed up to spearhead this new MTB group heard this from the (soon to be) membership and advocate for them.
    I don't think much ontario racing will go on there or it will become wildly popular(more popular yes). Copeland certainly has gotten much more popular though. From what it sounds like some people are trying shove the cat back in a bag, but just ain't gonna cut it. If people don't get organized stuff will continue to wear down and never get fixed because the local "gardening" crew will be over-extended and throw in the towel if they haven't already. That is one reason a trail network needs better organization. Another example for one i'd like to see better boardwalks over the marshy area, but that is a lotta work for 2-3 guys and expensive lumber.

About "thoughtless" promotion, that is another topic.. but let me say that i suspect nobody including those originals were being malevolent only trying to share what they enjoy. Further - if you build it, they will come so in a way the original builders are the ones who created this problem. If you doubt that, maybe you're forgetting that somebody originally cut and promoted the trails. Sure it was to the end of only a few friend sharing etc, but it was in a public forest... eventually word gets around through hikers or equestrians etc etc. People should be glad there is a group willing to steward the forest for us, it could end up unprotected like dufferin with the equestrians running riot allover the singletrack.

Quote Originally Posted by Schwing View Post
    Our local I.M.B.A. rep outlined what we as MTBers have to do to stay relevant in the eyes of the MNR: have a single, united voice representing all mountain bikers.

At one point, specific MTB agendas were being attacked and it was Bill who reminded everyone that this meeting's purpose was to unite the riders of Copeland... he didn't even swear
    What, the very same? Wowzer.

If nobody is united for sure mnr will not listen.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

About "thoughtless" promotion, that is another topic.. but let me say that i suspect nobody including those originals were being malevolent only trying to share what they enjoy. Further - if you build it, they will come so in a way the original builders are the ones who created this problem. If you doubt that, maybe you're forgetting that somebody originally cut and promoted the trails. Sure it was to the end of only a few friend sharing etc, but it was in a public forest... eventually word gets around through hikers or equestrians etc etc. People should be glad there is a group willing to steward the forest for us, it could end up unprotected like dufferin with the equestrians running riot allover the singletrack.

The problem is damage has been done. The whole "stay the hell offa my trails" attitude will have pushed people away. Stuff like that does nothing to make people who are local, have a cottage, or even send an email to support a group.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    The problem is damage has been done. The whole "stay the hell offa my trails" attitude will have pushed people away. Stuff like that does nothing to make people who are local, have a cottage, or even send an email to support a group.
    Further - It just won't work to keep other local people away(cat bag out of) anyways. Protesting and fighting other mtb'r will only to create a schism which will guarantee NOBODY will lift a finger to do anything for the trails despite the small increase in use on weekends. It might even lead to the MNR banning cycling if they get tired of bickering. People are going to cause ruin for the trails going about by starting a pointless in-fight about which set of mtb'r was here first(on public land mind you). If i was there i would have asked for a show of hands - who has only ridden their mtb in copeland and nowhere else in ontario! Nobody would honestly raise a hand. Point is we're all visiting somebody else's local trail at some point.

On the humour side - Apparently one of the locals already think Copeland is guaranteed for EPIC ride status and armies of mountain bikers will come from everywhere. Talk about getting ahead of yourself.

Sissy Pants FTW Moderator
    who has only ridden their mtb in copeland and nowhere else in ontario! Nobody would honestly raise a hand.
    Actually, it sounds like you may have had a candidate below for raising their hand.

Apparently one of the locals already think Copeland is guaranteed for EPIC ride status and armies of mountain bikers will come from everywhere.

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Actually, it sounds like you may have had a candidate below for raising their hand.
    Nothing against them personally(no idea who they are), but that sort of stuff is like worrying about getting your date pregnant on prom before you've even managed to kiss them.

I do understand there are sanitization issues though, with ttfs particularly. Probably why nobody wants a race to take place.

Burnt Orange Lives
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    The problem is damage has been done. The whole "stay the hell offa my trails" attitude will have pushed people away.
    not really... those who want to ride Copeland will ride Copeland and nothing will keep them away...

all that issue was blown way out of proportion... i do respect concerns of the locals, but no more or no less than anywhere else. i wouldn't disrespect the forest at Copeland, as i would not disrespect forest anywhere else, and i think most everyone else that ride Copeland are on the same page...

at the end of the day, antagonizing riders is completely counterproductive and should be replaced with education and sharing the responsibility of owning these trails...

Stuff like that does nothing to make people who are local, have a cottage, or even send an email to support a group.
    what you mean?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post

what you mean?
    That now that in some areas change is occurring messages have to change. That while there always be the rogue mountain bike element. The reality is that any group needs to get the riders on their side, locals, cottagers, and what not. Humans are social aniimals.. why else is the Running Room groups so successful. We are drawn to like minded groups and we like to ride with others. How big do you think the Running Room groups woulld be if people where faced with " Stay off my sidewalk" mentality every group run? No one would show up.

Other aspect with this is. Some people you turn away by this attitude may have connections that may benefit the group. Maybe one guy who doesn't want any part of this thanks to the "Stay The frak offa my trails" attitude happened to own the local Mill or Home Depot for example.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.