mtbr member
    Feb 2004

SW Ontario Shop with Great Service?

I bought a bike this past winter (new, 2012 clear out) and after three rides (joyride) the SRAM xo brakes continue to rub. When I left the shop they were fine, then rubbed after. Took it in for a bleeding (where I bought it, shop not very experienced with these brakes), was fine. Went for a ride, rubbing again.

Looking for a shop that will get these brakes working, with no lasting issues. Prefer Mississauga and surrounding area. Was thinking Bikezone on Dundas? Others?

Thanks!

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Sounds like possibly too much fluid in the system.
    Crack open the bled screw and push the pads back then close the bled screw.
    As long as your timing is right between opening the screw and pushing the pads back and closing the screw you won't get air into the brake system. Use two people if need be.

Done this many times on Avid brakes.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Calipers probably need to be aligned.
    Consistent SRAM XX Brake Caliper Alignment Problem

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Good tips, and I may trip them...but what I'm looking for is to have them dialed in so that I have very few issues, if any, for as long as possible. Is this possible with the these brakes, if the right mechanic sets them up well? Or is it a fault with the brakes (hydraulics in general, or these hydraulics)? I'm relatively new to mountain bikes and hydraulics. I don't like to tinker 'much' with my bikes.

I know mtn bikes are more complicated than road, but I've had my main road bike for over 3 yrs and I may tinker for 20 minutes a year. I know it's comparing apples to oranges, but something tells me it is possible to set these brakes up so they're pretty much worry free for a season (am I dreaming - lol).

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    SRAM brakes are known for doing this, I've personally seen this issue several times with XO brakes. There's no fix that lasts more than 1-2 years at best. The problems with SRAM/Avid brakes are a poor reservoir design, marginal reservoir volume, and substandard seals. Which leads to several issues. If the brakes aren't filled with the perfect amount of fluid, they'll either rub when the pads are new or have the levers pull all the way to the bars when the pads are worn down more than halfway. The seals also start going bad after 2-3 years; sticky pistons, levers that return slowly or not at all, and leaks are common failures. Fortunately, they have seal kits.

As for why, I think a lot of it is down to weight saving and style. To hit their weight target and get that nice slim profile on the levers required certain compromises. It limits reservoir volume & placement along with what materials they can use.

With that said, it is possible to fix the brakes so that they stay working. Those in the trade call it "The Shimano Fix". Install Shimano brakes on the bike and all your brake problems go away, forever, and all you'll need to worry about is changing brake pads.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by aerius View Post
    With that said, it is possible to fix the brakes so that they stay working. Those in the trade call it "The Shimano Fix". Install Shimano brakes on the bike and all your brake problems go away, forever, and all you'll need to worry about is changing brake pads.
    While it's a new bike, I think this is my smartest option to save me future frustrations. I like the rest of the bike a lot, it's just these brakes. I'll call around for quotes on XT's.

Do the brakes come bled, and are they easy to mount, or should I spend the bit more money and have a shop handle (I'll be looking for a shop that warranties the service on the brakes, so they handle any future issues, though hopefuly none)?

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Quote Originally Posted by noonievut View Post
    While it's a new bike, I think this is my smartest option to save me future frustrations. I like the rest of the bike a lot, it's just these brakes. I'll call around for quotes on XT's.

Do the brakes come bled, and are they easy to mount, or should I spend the bit more money and have a shop handle (I'll be looking for a shop that warranties the service on the brakes, so they handle any future issues, though hopefuly none)?
    I've used Avid Brake for years and never had a major issue.
    Luck? don't know, but I do know the cheaper Avid brakes like the Elixir 1's have more issues than the more expensive models.

I won't give up on your Avid's yet, someone experienced with bleeding/set up can do a good job.

Aftermarket brakes regardless of manufacturer will require the lines to be cut to size for your bike so a bled will be required. With that said, companies like Formula can be pre-ordered directly from them cut to size and bled but you will need to order them through your LBS that is a Formula Dealer.

QBP also offers this service for any brand they sell if your LBS buys from them.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I have xo. I may get a good mechanic to take a look and make adjustments...but if this goes on any longer I'm just wasting time and dollars by not solving the issue. I've also heard good things about some SRAM brakes, but this seems balanced with negative points as well. Elsewhere I read about this being a known defect with initial pad alignment (apparently SRAM had posted a note about this on their site).

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    AVID = SRAM
    Sram bought Avid brakes several years ago.

X0's are great brakes, between my wife and I we have 6 sets and 1 set of XX brakes.
    No issues... but I know how to set them up properly.

Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    If you do get your hands on some XT's they definitely work as advertised. When they do need to be bled it's an easy process. They just work. Highly recommended!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I have xo. I may get a good mechanic to take a look and make adjustments...but if this goes on any longer I'm just wasting time and dollars by not solving the issue.
    Try Oxygen Bikes on Lakeshore just east of Brown's Line. One of the mechanics was my classmate in high school and he's done full rebuilds on XO brakes and has a ton of experience working on hydraulic brakes. If they can't get it to stay fixed, then it's probably time for the Shimano Fix.

mtbr member
    Best mechanics in town at cycle solutions at the beaches and chain reaction in my opinion
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Don, Mike and Mike at Caledon Hills Cycling are fantastic. They're in Inglewood, just 10 minutes north of Brampton. It's a small shop with great atmosphere and excellent problem solving. They'll take the time you need.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    Best mechanics in town at cycle solutions at the beaches and chain reaction in my opinion
    I used to work at Chain Reaction. Leonard is a freakin' wizard.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Ok, made some progress. I used the troubleshooting tips in the link above on the front brake. It's not rubbing but when I see the rotor spin between the pads it looks like there is a wobble, so it may be the pistons still not retracting (as now it's the other side), or the rotor. As for the back brake, the guide pin wasn't threaded back in and the e-clip is no longer there (lbs...). I tightened the pin and now there is no rub. I also uncracked the bleed screw and pushed the pads in as I think there was too much fluid in the front brake. Still monitoring the front brake and need to get an e-clip, other than that I'll just ride. Good thing is I'm learning the brakes and how to adjust.

Thanks to all.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*

Re: SW Ontario Shop with Great Service?

Ok, made some progress. I used the troubleshooting tips in the link above on the front brake. It's not rubbing but when I see the rotor spin between the pads it looks like there is a wobble, so it may be the pistons still not retracting (as now it's the other side), or the rotor. As for the back brake, the guide pin wasn't threaded back in and the e-clip is no longer there (lbs...). I tightened the pin and now there is no rub. I also uncracked the bleed screw and pushed the pads in as I think there was too much fluid in the front brake. Still monitoring the front brake and need to get an e-clip, other than that I'll just ride. Good thing is I'm learning the brakes and how to adjust.

Thanks to all.
    Good to hear you've made some progress.
    Your rotor could be bent, it happens and can be the case right out of the box with new bikes/brakes. Use an adjustable wrench (cresent wrench) to straighten the rotor if you don't have a rotor straightening tool.

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk

Hunter S. Thompson