Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

SW Ontario Overnighters or S24O's(the new fancy lingo for overnighter)?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Biff Pedachenko 
#1 ·
Anybody have any proven overnighter route's or one's they intend to do?

What about bike and gear selection?

I have my commuter with 32c tires set up with a rack and panniers, I'd like to give this activity a try. I've been thinking of a route down Huron's Shores in Bluewater County. Maybe Bear Creek Prov. Park to Inverhuron Prov. Park?

Please don't limit input to my questions, if you have relevant info please share it.

IMHO, the Eastern Canada forum lost about half of its members when our fearless leader informed us(teased us) that he was getting into Porsching.:madman:

Images of GM singing this have been nauseating me regularly...

Karl Wolf - Carrera - Official Music Video - YouTube

I need to get my mind back on cycling.

#2 ·
From here, we've had a great time riding to Fort Erie and back with an overnight at the border HoJo. For a real adventure, the best ride is to Montreal but that'll take you a few more days. That's a ride any cyclist needs to do at least once in a lifetime! :)

#3 ·
We always wanted to do the rail trail route too - you can take it more than 70km either way now. An out, then overnight, then back has always appealed. On another note, there's a sweet little Bruce Trail Overnight Rest Area in the Dundas Valley. We could never figure out a way to make it work (without being silly about it), though we might be able to now that we have a very small boy with limited range.

#5 ·
#6 ·
I'm not sure where exactly you're thinking of coming from/heading to - almost all my trips are from right out the front door and I don't make my way south of an invisible line between the Holland Marsh and the Bruce Nuclear Plant very often...but I can say that there is an awesome rail trail running into Elora - I picked it up just West of Orangeville as part of a overnight from Sutton-Elora-Sutton.

There's also a nice ~210 km loop of almost entirely rail trail around Simcoe County if you're interested in coming North...you just need to know the details of where to hook up the series of about 6 trails - I can help you there if needed (I'm not on here often though, if you want a quick response get my contact details off my website at pedachenko.com)

I started with a simple setup of my mountain bike with a set of 700x32 CX tires with rack and pannier and it works well for pretty minimal investment - you can probably find someone to borrow the stuff from if you don't have it yourself - but if you get into touring there are better ways - I can't even recall the last time I used my panniers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.