Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    dirt roadie

Sunday road ride?

It looks like Sunday is shaping up to be a nice day - sunny, 5C and light winds, so I'm thinking about pulling my 'cross bike out for a ride, since the Short Hills/12 Mile Creek trails are probably knee deep mud. I'm thinking Welland Canal trail, or Niagara Parks trail.

Post here if you're interested.

mtbr member
    Can we say 1pm? Where are we meeting? I'm 80% in at this point.

Dan

dirt roadie
    1pm is fine for me.
    Where we meet depends on whether we do the Canal or the Niagara trail. It doesn't matter to me which one.
    Both trails are probably a bit dirty so slicks would be a bad idea.

If we ride the Canal, I guess meet at Merritt Island and ride to the QEW or so and back.
    For the Niagara Parkway, the best place to meet would probably be the Niagara Gorge, then ride to NOTL and back.

veldrijder
    I'm in for sure... the more dirt the better for me, but you're right that the singletrack will be slop. You guys have 'cross tires on right? I'm indifferent about location - both rides sound good. 1pm also sounds good... but I'm flexible.
    Last edited by jmoote; 01-10-2008 at 05:12 PM.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by zedfoto
    For the Niagara Parkway, the best place to meet would probably be the Niagara Gorge, then ride to NOTL and back.
    You're in St. Catharines, correct? I'm still up for either location, but I'm thinking Dan and I are both closer to Niagara.

We could start at Dufferin Islands (park) to NOTL and back for about 50k, King's Bridge Park in Chippawa for ~65k, or go from Ft. Erie and make this a metric century.

Here's the routes, approximating the path using the Niagara Pkwy:

Of course these are just suggestions

dirt roadie
    I'm actually in Fenwick (Pelham), so Welland is closer to me, but that doesn't make any difference. I could do the 50k, probably not the 100k right now...once I get back into riding every day then I'll do the 100k
    BTW they might still be looking for money if you park in Dufferin Islands. That's why I suggested the Gorge, or the Whirlpool parking lot, it's free there.
    I've got 32c cross tires on right now, they've actually got almost as much tread as the Crossmarks.

Merritt Island to Port Weller and back is approx 52k if we go that route.

veldrijder
    50k is fine with me, though this can be a very casual ride making longer distance more realistic. I do believe there is free parking at King's Bridge park in Chippawa which would be my choice of start point if we're doing the Niagara thing. We can always turn back a bit early if anyone is feeling like the whole way to NOTL and back will be too much.

How's the quality of the canal trail vs. Niagara? I haven't spent a lot of time on either (at least by bike) to know. I'd probably suggest whichever offered a more enjoyable ride.

dirt roadie
    Yes, I can do a longer distance at a more casual pace. But also remember that we're starting at 1pm, and the sun sets at 5.
    Personally, I like the canal trail more since it's smoother and there is zero vehicle traffic. On some parts of the Niagara parks trail, you have to ride on the road, and if I recall, there are some road works being done in that area.

Do you think with the temperature it would be fine to ride clipless, if I wear warmer socks? I had a very hard time last weekend on flat pedals, and I imagine it would be even worse spinning constantly.

veldrijder
    It sounds like the Welland Canal might be a nicer route then? I don't mind riding in traffic, or on rougher ground (these are 'cross bikes afterall ) but it doesn't matter too much to me. I'm mostly just looking for the most ride time so 1pm until dark would be great. Dan is the one who said 1pm... if noon would work we wouldn't have to worry about daylight as much?

Definitely do clipless with warmer socks. I'm a bit concerned, but I might not even be wearing warm socks as I want to wear my good shoes that fit pretty tight. Wool socks are good I just can't do flats anymore, as you saw with my ghetto winter mtb shoes (old shoes with double socks and plastic bags for keeping water out). I've got a pair of the Lake cycling boots on the way so I can keep riding all winter long though

dirt roadie
    Oh yeah, the rough stuff is just fine with me, but the thing is I have only put about 3-400km on my cross bike, so I'm still not completely confident with the riding position However, I just fitted a 1-inch shorter stem so it should be easier. I did take it on a tight trail once, and I was quite amazed at it's performance, then I got a puncture.
    Riding until sunset is OK too, but not much past for me, I have no lights or reflectors, and I don't have much meat on my bones to keep me warm.

So, we'll see which trail Dan wants to do and we can do a vote I guess

mtbr member
    Hey guys. I have to take my son to a birthday party at noon in Niagara Falls, so I can't do Welland this time. If we do the parkway though I promise to do the Canal trail at some point

As for riding, let's stick to the road. The trails tend to be a bit icy at times and the road is pretty nice along the parkway. Shouldn't be too much traffic at this time of year. If either of you aren't comfortable riding closer to traffic, I'll gladly stick to the inside if we go two-up. I suggest we start at Kingsbridge Park, ride to NOTL, stop for a quick muffin and a drink at the Tim's there and then head back. Does that work for you both?

I'll ride to KB park since it's close to my house, but I'll meet you there at 1 if that ride works. If you guys prefer to do the Canal though, feel free. No offence taken on my end!

veldrijder
    Kingsbridge for 1pm sounds perfect to me. I may or may not ride there from home, as it's a nice hilly 10km if I do. If we're sticking to the road do you think some all weather road tires are a better choice? It's not a big deal for me to swap.

dirt roadie
    That works for me too. The weather network says there is a chance of flurries or rain showers now, so hopefully that holds off. I don't think it's going to matter with the tire choice, you're going to be riding with me, and I have knobby cross tires and I'm no speed king. In fact, you guys should ride your mountain bikes so I have a chance of keeping up

veldrijder
    With the potential precipitation, cross tires will be a good choice anyway; I'll just run lots of air in them. We'll still ride if it rains/snows, right?

mtbr member
    I'm sticking to the cross bike with knobbies. Usually I go around 60 PSI on the road.

mtbr member
    4 degrees and sunny tomorrow afternoon. Anyone interested in moving our ride up by 1 day? Noon Saturday instead of 1pm Sunday?

veldrijder
    I can't do Saturday, as I have other plans (out of town). I won't mind if you go without me, but I'm still very interested in doing it Sunday if you don't mind leaving the plans as before.

dirt roadie
    Saturday I am going to be in the Falls, but I'm helping on a shoot.

mtbr member
    Okay N/M. Sunday it is

Dan

mtbr member
    Gents can we move this up to say 12:30-12:40ish? I know you guys had said noon originally and it looks like the earlier we ride the better. It's only a 40% chance of showers though. I'll park closest to the parkway near the playground.

Dan

dirt roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Gents can we move this up to say 12:30-12:40ish? I know you guys had said noon originally and it looks like the earlier we ride the better. It's only a 40% chance of showers though.
    I thought we said 1pm originally...but 12:30 is fine. But yeah it is supposed to rain/snow later in the day. We'll have to play it by ear; maybe the weather will hold off. I don't have proper rain gear so I may have to deke out early if it starts getting wet. I'm sure it will be a good ride nonetheless.

mtbr member
    Yeah you said Noon, I said 1pm and now I'm being a knob and moving it up to 12:30 Sorry for all the changes. Looking forward to it though!

Hopefully Jeff will get the message. If he doesn't post up by the morning I'll call his cell.

veldrijder
    Got it - 12:30 is fine for me. I'm good to go regardless of weather, short of some crazy wind like we had last week (I think that would blow us off our bikes).

See you there - I should be very easy to spot: orange bike, yellow/red jersey, red jacket

veldrijder
    Here's the map and my data for the ride today:

dirt roadie
    Now that's totally cool.
    You guys were going almost 65kph down that hill? That's crazy.
    Jeff and I rode through that field at the parking lot, so now our bikes are properly muddy

I know I was the slow one out there, but it's rides like this that will keep me motivated to ride; and improve fitness over the winter so I can perform better in the races come spring. If the conditions are decent, we should make this a weekly ritual. Jeff suggested road rides if the trails are muddy, and MTB if the trails are frozen.

Also Jeff, here is a correction to your chart:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast